PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Getting An IPad?

TheNext44
04-01-2010, 12:28 AM
If so why?

And would love to hear reviews from anyone who does.

Razor Shines
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Here is a pretty good review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq_rTAD4WX4&feature=related

TheNext44
04-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Here is a pretty good review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gA16Fq4SAo

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't know it was so interactive.

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2010, 01:29 AM
I already have an iPhone -- as of right now, I don't see anything that the iPad can do that screams "must buy."

SunDeck
04-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I already have an iPhone -- as of right now, I don't see anything that the iPad can do that screams "must buy."

But, it's bigger than your iPhone. :)

oneupper
04-01-2010, 07:59 AM
My house is full of Macs and Ipod. I heart apple.
But I think the ipad is great gadget that no one really needs.

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM

It's the first gadget Apple has released in a long time that doesn't have a clearly defined purpose. It isn't a music player like the iPod, it isn't a smartphone like the iPhone -- it's pretty much just a platform device that will live and die based on the content that is written for it.

It needs a "killer app" to sell it beyond the hardcore Apple fanatics. So far, I haven't seen one.

bucksfan2
04-01-2010, 09:00 AM
It's the first gadget Apple has released in a long time that doesn't have a clearly defined purpose. It isn't a music player like the iPod, it isn't a smartphone like the iPhone -- it's pretty much just a platform device that will live and die based on the content that is written for it.

It needs a "killer app" to sell it beyond the hardcore Apple fanatics. So far, I haven't seen one.

I am intrigued by it. I am somewhat in need of a new computer. My laptop is about 8 years old now and is on its last leg.

I think the IPad is a combination of a couple platforms. It isn't a laptop but can serve as one. It isn't a music player but you can play music on it. It isn't a portable DVD player but you can watch DVD's on it. It isn't the kindle but you can read e books on it. I think it would be a great item for a big time traveler.

I really think that as wifi becomes more broad a standard wireless connection will become more in demand rather than a phone connection. I already have an ipod shuffle and a smart phone so I really have no need for the iphone. I am waiting to see what kind of reviews come out about the ipad before I make any type of decision.

westofyou
04-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Apple will try and tell you you can't live without it, then they'll tell you how much it costs...and then they'll tell you after you buy it that they no longer support that technology on their next roll out of the product.

So no, I won't be buying it, just like all their other products.

durl
04-01-2010, 09:46 AM

That's my take, also. I can't see it as anything other than a large iPod Touch.

It seems that Apple wants it to be viewed as a revolutionary device that fills a niche but I have a hard time believing a large number of people will be willing to shell out $500 for a device that can't replace devices on either side of that niche.

Hoosier Red
04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I am intrigued by it. I am somewhat in need of a new computer. My laptop is about 8 years old now and is on its last leg.

I think the IPad is a combination of a couple platforms. It isn't a laptop but can serve as one. It isn't a music player but you can play music on it. It isn't a portable DVD player but you can watch DVD's on it. It isn't the kindle but you can read e books on it. I think it would be a great item for a big time traveler.

I really think that as wifi becomes more broad a standard wireless connection will become more in demand rather than a phone connection. I already have an ipod shuffle and a smart phone so I really have no need for the iphone. I am waiting to see what kind of reviews come out about the ipad before I make any type of decision.

I think Apple can market this to college students if they can get textbook companies to publish e-books on the I pad. Than all a student would need is one of these and they'd have a laptop, their book, and all the diversions necessary for class.

IslandRed
04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
A review from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2010-03-31-apple-ipad-review_N.htm

I like the device conceptually but it's in the no-man's-land category for me from a practical perspective.

reds1869
04-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Same here. My family is as into Apple as any, but we have no interest in shelling out for an ipad.

pedro
04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Thing has some inexcusable flaws in it as far as I can see.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/29/apple-ipad-review-photos_n_441770.html

Razor Shines
04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Thing has some inexcusable flaws in it as far as I can see.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/29/apple-ipad-review-photos_n_441770.html

Namely no multitasking, USB or Flash. Dumb.

yab1112
04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't need an Ipad. Just last week I taped my Ipod touch to the top of my laptop. ;)

RedsManRick
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
If you don't think of it as a computer and instead of just a really nice media consumption device, you'll be much less disappointed.

Want to watch movies on a plane? Want to read books on the train? Want look up an actor IMDB while watching a movie on your sofa? Laptops are clunky for all of those things. The kindle is extremely limited. As a media consumption device, it is incomparable.

As for the lack of flash, I think you're going to see most big flash sites recoding in HTML 5 sooner rather than later.

That said, I'm certainly waiting until there's more public reaction and for google to announce their tablet.

pedro
04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
If you don't think of it as a computer and instead of just a really nice media consumption device, you'll be much less disappointed.

Want to watch movies on a plane? Want to read books on the train? Want look up an actor IMDB while watching a movie on your sofa? Laptops are clunky for all of those things. The kindle is extremely limited. As a media consumption device, it is incomparable.

As for the lack of flash, I think you're going to see most big flash sites recoding in HTML 5 sooner rather than later.

I hope it has a better battery than my Iphone if you want to do any of those things for very long.

I'm just very surprised by some of its' flaws.... and I LOVE my Iphone

durl
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM

The next question is: when you take that plane ride will you be willing to leave your Macbook (or netbook) at home or will it become an additional device to carry? Some will, but I would guess that many will not. The Kindle has a narrow purpose, but it's price point is also within people's expectations for such a device.

For use at home, a netbook or laptop may be more clunky but a lot of people have them already and the iPad lacks their versatility, and their more affordable price.

I like the concept of the iPad...and the look. Now, if it had the webOS platform (recent Palm devices) that allows multitasking and, in the near future, Flash support, it would be more appealing to me. Well, and the price would have to come down to the netbook price range.

reds1869
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM

What amazes me is that I got to play around with a prototype Apple tablet at a conference seven years ago, and the current ipad shows shockingly little improvement over said concept. I think Apple is simply using first gen sales to cash in before adding the necessary features for round two. And it will probably work.

RedsManRick
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I hope it has a better battery than my Iphone if you want to do any of those things for very long.

I'm just very surprised by some of its' flaws.... and I LOVE my Iphone

The last review I read said he got 12 consecutive hours of video play.

RedsManRick
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
The next question is: when you take that plane ride will you be willing to leave your Macbook (or netbook) at home or will it become an additional device to carry? Some will, but I would guess that many will not. The Kindle has a narrow purpose, but it's price point is also within people's expectations for such a device.

For use at home, a netbook or laptop may be more clunky but a lot of people have them already and the iPad lacks their versatility, and their more affordable price.

I like the concept of the iPad...and the look. Now, if it had the webOS platform (recent Palm devices) that allows multitasking and, in the near future, Flash support, it would be more appealing to me. Well, and the price would have to come down to the netbook price range.

Unless I needed to do some heavy content development, beyond email, I'd have no problem leaving my laptop at home.

It is not and is not meant to be a device that makes the laptop irrelevant, but frankly, I found netbooks to be virtually useless, the worst of both worlds if you will. From a functionality perspective, they still are poor excuses for a full-sized functioned computer, which is what I'd want to use do video editing, presentation creation, data analysis or what have you. And the form factor is still inconvenient to use in many places, particularly when you're not sitting down. I personally find tracking pads and button cursors relatively clunky to use and love the touch interface for the type of interactions you have when consuming media or playing games.

I'm not an apple fanboy, and I still would like to see them included some sort of keyboard (perhaps on the back of the device where your fingers would go when holding it two-handed), but I think people generally don't appreciate the trade-off apple chooses to make. Yes, you give up the last 10-20% of functionality, but that is more than made up for by a much better experience for the stuff you do most often.

In any event, it will be interesting to hear the reactions once people get it in their hands.

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2010, 01:43 PM

Everyone is predicting multi-tasking support will be available in iPhone OS 4.0, which is rumored for release this summer.

And, as someone already said, Flash is kind of on the way out -- lots of sites are announcing support for HTML5 (some for the express reason of supporting the iPad).

nate
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
It's going to be a pretty interesting device in my world. I'm doing a gig in two days where an iPad, given the software and hardware, would be incredibly useful. My iPhone can almost do it but it's just too small to see certain things. Instead, I'll be using my wife's Macbook.

Interestingly, my wife has shown the most interest in the iPad; it would suit her computer needs almost perfectly.

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Big iPad news today -- Netflix will have an app available for the iPad at launch that will support streaming video to the device:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/01/free-netflix-ipad-app-offers-streaming-video/

As noted by AppAdvice, one of the launch apps for the iPad App Store will be a Free Netflix application that will allow current Netflix customers to stream video directly to their device. The authenticity of the app is confirmed on AppShopper. From the app description:
Get Netflix on your iPad. Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix.

- Watch as often as you want
- It's part of your unlimited Netflix membership
- Resume watching where you left off on your TV or computer
- Browse movies and manage your Queue right from your iPad

Not a Netflix member? Join today and get a 2-week free trial.

The Free Netflix application will be available in the iPad App Store on launch.

SeeinRed
04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I think Apple can market this to college students if they can get textbook companies to publish e-books on the I pad. Than all a student would need is one of these and they'd have a laptop, their book, and all the diversions necessary for class.

This I can see, however you can get textbooks electronically already. I've tried it and honestly sometimes it is just a lot easier to have the physical book. I don't think it can really replace a laptop either. Typing on a touch screen is just way too inconvenient for my tastes. Then there is the whole multi-tasking issue. I'm not an Apple fan admitedly, but I see this as just another product that they are trying to produce hype about and get as many people as possible to shell out some big bucks because it is a new Apple product and that means its cool. Obviously, I'm not saying you are a fool for buying it or being an Apple fan. Most of the Apple products have a very useful place in the tech world.

Amazingly, this product seems devoid of any real advantages to what Apple already makes other than being a bigger screen for an IPod touch. Sure, it could find a place as and eReader, but that seems rather underwhelming for such a machine considering it is already done on other platforms such as the Kindle. I guess I could just be obtuse, but I really don't understand why someone would shell out the money for this product.

15fan
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
iPod and iPad exist.

Which one will be next in Apple's product line?

iPed
iPid
iPud
or
iPyd

Spazzrico
04-01-2010, 03:04 PM

And I still won't let them use it in my class. :D

Unassisted
04-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Namely no multitasking, USB or Flash. Dumb.There is rumored to be a second version of the iPad in the pipeline that will run the full-blown Mac OS. Don't know if it will have USB, but that would address the other two limitations you pointed out.

Personally, I've been primarily a Mac user for 20+ years, but I'm quite content to use a Windows XP netbook for my mobile and living room computer/Internet needs. The netbook has over 3 hours of battery life, weighs less than 2 pounds, and it cost me less than half of the list price for the cheapest iPad.

I already have an iPod Touch, so I know the limitations of that OS. I was hoping that the first release of the iPad would run the Mac OS. That would have made it hard for me to resist.

bucksfan2
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I think apple is using the IPad to attack several different products. They are going after the Kindle and Netbooks mainly. There will be some flaws corrected by the second version of the IPad. I just don't see this product flopping.

SeeinRed
04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I just don't see this product flopping.

I don't see it flopping at all. There is a large group of people who will buy it just because Apple produced it. I can also see someone buying it if they didn't already have and IPhone or Kindle or MacBook....

It would take quite a run of mediocre products for Apple to lose its allure to a large enough group of its fans and have a product flop. Even being a person who does not particularly care for Apple products I still know that Apple has made quality products that are very useful for a large group of people. They've created quite a following that most companies can only dream of.

Most Apple products fit nicely into a niche that they can dominate. I just don't see the IPad dominating an area where Kindle has such a strong head start or even the netbook niche where you can get a netbook for much, much less. Even though those netbooks may not have the computing power the IPad may, you can still multitask on them which is currently something the IPad lacks. Another thing that would turn me away is not having Flash compatability. Its just the small things that the "hardcore" Apple fans don't see that someone like me is turned off by.

Don't get me wrong, if I could get my hands on and IPad to play around with I would love to. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't. It just suprises me that Apple would put out a product that is so underwhelming IMO.

dougdirt
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I can't stand Apple or their 'computer' products. I am fine with the IPhone (though I prefer the Droid) and Ipod. But Apple's computer products are incredibly overpriced. The IPad itself is essentially a touch screen laptop, without the ability to use it as a computer. My $400 laptop I bought two Decembers ago isn't touch screen, and yeah, its probably three times as thick as an IPad is.... but it was cheaper, faster and has so many more functions and abilities it isn't even funny. I just don't get it. Apple has the best marketing in the world, because they sell a whole bunch of products that aren't better than their competition for a 33% mark up and people love paying for it.

Hoosier Red
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
This I can see, however you can get textbooks electronically already. I've tried it and honestly sometimes it is just a lot easier to have the physical book. I don't think it can really replace a laptop either. Typing on a touch screen is just way too inconvenient for my tastes. Then there is the whole multi-tasking issue. I'm not an Apple fan admitedly, but I see this as just another product that they are trying to produce hype about and get as many people as possible to shell out some big bucks because it is a new Apple product and that means its cool. Obviously, I'm not saying you are a fool for buying it or being an Apple fan. Most of the Apple products have a very useful place in the tech world.

I thought one of the advantages to this over other electronic book readers is it allows you to see graphics other visuals better than say a kindle.

bucksfan2
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I thought one of the advantages to this over other electronic book readers is it allows you to see graphics other visuals better than say a kindle.

I also heard a report that advertisers are able to use animated (think web type) advertisements. It will be very interesting to see how the newspaper and magazine deals with the IPad.

Reds4Life
04-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I can't stand Apple or their 'computer' products. I am fine with the IPhone (though I prefer the Droid) and Ipod. But Apple's computer products are incredibly overpriced. The IPad itself is essentially a touch screen laptop, without the ability to use it as a computer. My $400 laptop I bought two Decembers ago isn't touch screen, and yeah, its probably three times as thick as an IPad is.... but it was cheaper, faster and has so many more functions and abilities it isn't even funny. I just don't get it. Apple has the best marketing in the world, because they sell a whole bunch of products that aren't better than their competition for a 33% mark up and people love paying for it.

I'm in the same boat. Typing on a flat touch screen would suck, if it's sitting on a table you'd have to be leaning over to see what you are typing. Apple makes nice computers, but they aren't worth what they cost, IMO.

OldRightHander
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I've got my Mac and my ipod touch, so I really don't have a need for this at the moment. It looks interesting, but that's as far as it goes.

westofyou
04-02-2010, 12:46 PM

They changed their name from "Apple Computers" to "Apple" years ago.

That was the first clue of their direction.

SeeinRed
04-02-2010, 01:19 PM

I will agree that some may choose to buy the IPad over the Kindle when shopping for an eBook reader, but I don't see a whole lot of people ditching the Kindle in favor of the IPad if they already have the Kindle just to get color pictures and animated ads. Not to mention the IPad is quite pricey if you just want it for an eBook reader. Of course that is a complete over-simplification but I think when you factor in things like cost it still holds true.

You keep hearing about newspapers and magazines using the Kindle or IPad to save their industry, but I don't believe they can do that. The main issue with print media is staying current when updating stories only once a day. People want to know the news as it happens, not read about it the next day. Reading it electronically the next day doesn't really solve this problem IMO.

I don't think Apple is losing its luster with this product, I just truly don't understand the point of it. They already have the IPhone for mobile surfing and a lot of apps, the MacBook does the computing and heavier surfing in what is a pretty small package, and the Kindle and others have a pretty large hold on the eBook market.

There is nothing really all that innovative or cutting edge that hasn't been done before with this product which is what Apple has really come to be known for to its "fans." Reviews have been mediocre at best. Usually Apple products are rolled out with such fanfare that it makes us who don't particularly care for their products sick. The response has been rather underwhelming. I've seen more people get excited about an update to the IPhone OS than the IPad. Thats the main thing that I've taken away from all of this.

oneupper
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Dvorak has been wrong about Apple too many times to tell, but here is an opinion on the iPad I am sort of agreeing with.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/old-media-expects-too-much-from-the-ipad-2010-04-02?siteid=yhoof

I still love my Macs, but I liked Apple so much more when they were underdogs.

TheNext44
04-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I still don't understand why Apple didn't release their version of a netbook instead of this IPad. That really is the direction consumers are going, smaller and cheaper, not bigger and more expensive.

Apple has been successful and made lots of money, but because they have less practical appeal than other computers, they actually have a very small slice of the market. This would have been their chance to shed their "elitist" image and grab a bigger chunk of the market.

I have a IMac, which really are the best deal for desktops, but a PC Netbook because spending $1k+ for a laptop is just absurd these days.

Now I am probably going to get the IPad, (if I get an IRaise), but it will be to replace my IPhone, not my IMac or Netbook. I will then get a cheaper phone that all it does is work as a phone, and use the IPad to do all the cool things that I use the IPhone for. It would have been so much better if I could have used it replace my Netbook, but that looks to be years away.

Caveat Emperor
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I still don't understand why Apple didn't release their version of a netbook instead of this IPad. That really is the direction consumers are going, smaller and cheaper, not bigger and more expensive.

Maybe it's just me, but I see the netbook as an evolutionary dead-end for computers. It's the product of lazy engineering -- taking a laptop's form factor, stripping out tons of functionality, and trying to be an inexpensive "jack of all trades, master of none" type device. It straddles the line between a purely consumption device (watching media, viewing internet content, reading previously created documents, etc.) and a content creation device (producing user-created content) and ends up being just OK at both tasks.

I guess what Apple was going for was a device that is almost purely content consumption, with just a dash of content creation ability to keep people happy and do basic tasks (write an e-mail, input numbers to a spreadsheet, edit a document, etc.).

Your mileage will probably vary based on what exactly you like to be able to do when you're away from your main computer.

TheNext44
04-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I see the netbook as an evolutionary dead-end for computers. It's the product of lazy engineering -- taking a laptop's form factor, stripping out tons of functionality, and trying to be an inexpensive "jack of all trades, master of none" type device. It straddles the line between a purely consumption device (watching media, viewing internet content, reading previously created documents, etc.) and a content creation device (producing user-created content) and ends up being just OK at both tasks.

I guess what Apple was going for was a device that is almost purely content consumption, with just a dash of content creation ability to keep people happy and do basic tasks (write an e-mail, input numbers to a spreadsheet, edit a document, etc.).

Your mileage will probably vary based on what exactly you like to be able to do when you're away from your main computer.

The Netbook does what 90% of people who use computers do nearly 100% of their time on computers: Surf the web, check emails, organize a photobook, word processing, spread sheets and power point. And it does it for around 1/3 of the price of a laptop.

It's a dead end in terms of technology, but not in terms of appeal to consumers. There are 10's of millions of people out there either who don't own a computer because they are too expensive, who who own a laptop and would like to pay less in order to get exactly what the need.

We are one the way to where everyone will own a computer, and I think the Netbook is the first step to that end.

RedsManRick
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Doug, you're comparing apples to oranges. The iPad isn't meant to be a computer replacement.

Apple sees a niche' in a simple to use, media consumption, light gaming, social networking device.

The 'PC' approach, if you will, is to stuff as much functionality as possible in to the thing and then polish it as much as they can in terms of user experience.

The apple approach is to create a killer user experience and then provide as much functionality as they can while maintaining that experience.

For me, netbooks are the worst of both worlds. They give you the clunky, complicated user experience of a full computer in the size and form factor limitations of a portable device. The ipad is meant to give you the best possible user experience on a portable device that can do all of the primary things you'd want to do on something less than a full blown computer.

I can't read the WSJ or a book while standing in a crowded train on a netbook. If I'm watching a movie a plane, I have no use for a full keyboard that folds out. If wifi isn't available and I want to get on a cellular network, I'd need to carry an extra USB based dohickey. And if I wanted to write a report, build a presentation or mess around in a spreadsheet, I'm not going to want to that on a netbook either. I'll just carry a laptop and pull it out when a chance to sit down and set up somewhere.

I don't know that I'l buy an ipad, but I think you are selling it's benefits short. Form factor and user experience are no small things when when you're talking about a device whose key benefit is portability and easy access. I don't mind giving up a tiny bit of functionality compared to a net-book for a significantly better experience with the things I do most when not using my primary computer.

TheNext44
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Doug, you're comparing apples to oranges. The iPad isn't meant to be a computer replacement.

For me, netbooks are the worst of both worlds. They give you the clunky, complicated user experience of a full computer in the size and form factor limitations of a portable device. The ipad is meant to give you the best possible user experience on a portable device that can do all of the primary things you'd want to do on something less than a full blown computer.

I can't read the WSJ or a book while standing in a crowded train on a netbook. If I'm watching a movie a plane, I have no use for a full keyboard that folds out. If wifi isn't available and I want to get on a cellular network, I'd need to carry an extra USB based dohickey. And if I wanted to write a report, build a presentation or mess around in a spreadsheet, I'm not going to want to that on a netbook either. I'll just carry a laptop and pull it out when a chance to sit down and set up somewhere.

Why not a netbook for Microsoft Office stuff? I use it all the time for that. Granted, it's not as sleek as the IPad, but it's also not nearly as "clunky" as a full laptop

Remember that the key "experience" that a Netbook gives you is when you buy it. You can buy a decent one for around $250 and a really good one for around $350. That's half the price of an IPad and it's a real computer, not just a "fun" device.

I like the IPad, I just wish it could be more like a Netbook and let me do some real work on it.

paintmered
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
The biggest problem with the iPad is that it isn't $200.

Caveat Emperor
04-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I like the IPad, I just wish it could be more like a Netbook and let me do some real work on it.

Here's where we differ in the conversation -- I don't see myself getting "real" work done on a Netbook based on the models I've demoed.

The keyboard is too small (for my hands) for typing out more than an e-mail or two (I'm certainly not going to write a brief on one), and the screen is too small to stare at for an extended writing and editing session. Plus, because it's based on a laptop's design, it probably needs to be set on a flat surface like a table to be of any extended use.

Really, if I need to get "real" work done, I'm throwing my laptop in a bag and taking it with me somewhere.

Given that, for what I'd use a netbook for, I'd probably just as soon spend the extra $150-$200 and get the iPad and it's better media offerings, undoubtedly more extensive application ecosystem (if the iPhone is any indication, the app store for this thing will explode) and better user experience.

But, as I said in my last post, your mileage may vary. It's all about what works for you. Netbooks don't work for me.

Kingspoint
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Anyone Getting An IPad?

Is that anything like a European Purse?

IslandRed
04-02-2010, 11:52 PM

Apple has been successful and made lots of money, but because they have less practical appeal than other computers, they actually have a very small slice of the market. This would have been their chance to shed their "elitist" image and grab a bigger chunk of the market.

Inadvertently, the answer to your question is in there. Computer hardware is a low-margin business. Netbooks are basically cheap Internet appliances. There's no sizzle. Apple's a company that trades on cool and a stripped-down "we have a netbook too" Macbook isn't going to do anything for that, nor is it going to add much to the bottom line. They'd rather swing for the fences with something new and different.

Or, put another way, they have no interest in shedding their elitist image. It's what allows them to keep high profit margins on their products even while they're selling millions upon millions of iPods and iPhones.

TheNext44
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
So I went to the Apple store.

iSaw the
iPad
iShrugged
iLeft.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I checked out the iPad at the Apple store in Kenwood today.

Yeah, it's just a big iPod Touch -- but it's amazing how much better the experience is on a bigger screen with better resolution.

Definitely a better experience in person than it looks to be just from online.

Red in Chicago
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
we're waiting for the 3g version later this month

BCubb2003
04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
OK, so I have one. It's lighter than I expected. Much easier to type on than I expected. It doesn't wobble on a desk like I thought it would. You can even stand up, hold it in portrait mode, and type with your thumbs. (And I don't have abnormally long Megan Fox thumbs.)

It's really fast. Moving from app to app is instantaneous. You wouldn't even notice the lack of multitasking if it weren't for wanting to listen to Pandora, online radio or ballgames in the background while you worked. It also has some of the iPhone's copy-paste limitations and there's no traditional file management. The Pages part of iWork is a sweet word processor, though, considering.

Not many newspaper and magazine apps yet. USA Today looks good on it. I expected more whiz-bang magazine stuff.

Any questions?

MWM
04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I'd love a device like this and would have plenty of uses for it, but until Apple figures out multitasking I'm not buying anything else from them. I hope the rumors on the iPhone 4g are true because the lack of multitasking drives me nuts with my iphone.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I'd love a device like this and would have plenty of uses for it, but until Apple figures out multitasking I'm not buying anything else from them. I hope the rumors on the iPhone 4g are true because the lack of multitasking drives me nuts with my iphone.

Really, the only time the multi-tasking thing bothers me on my iPhone is when I get a text message while I'm doing something and I have to dump out to respond. But, I found a jailbreak that lets you "quick reply" to text messages without exiting your current program

Otherwise, I never find myself cursing that I can't run two programs at once. Maybe that's just me, though.

pedro
04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Really, the only time the multi-tasking thing bothers me on my iPhone is when I get a text message while I'm doing something and I have to dump out to respond. But, I found a jailbreak that lets you "quick reply" to text messages without exiting your current program

Otherwise, I never find myself cursing that I can't run two programs at once. Maybe that's just me, though.

I'd like to be able to listen to baseball and surf the web or play a game at the same time.

TheNext44
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd like to be able to listen to baseball and surf the web or play a game at the same time.

With MLB 2010, you can. When you are listening to the game, in the top right corner is a button you can press that lets you listen to the game through Safari. Because Safari is not an application, but part of the phone, you can listen to the game through it and use all other programs, even Safari, at the same time.

MWM
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM

I use my phone extensively, especially in my job. I find myself cursing the lack of multi-tasking regularly..... to the point that if the 4g does not have it I will switch back to Verizon and get the droid.

durl
04-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I use my phone extensively, especially in my job. I find myself cursing the lack of multi-tasking regularly..... to the point that if the 4g does not have it I will switch back to Verizon and get the droid.

If you want multi-tasking, I recommend the Palm Pre (Plus version on Verizon). The OS is still fairly new but the interface and multitasking are incredible. I mentioned earlier that Palm's webOS would be perfect for a device like the iPad.

sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread...

wolfboy
04-04-2010, 09:53 AM

I absolutely love the multi-tasking on my droid. I don't know why Apple has been so slow to incorporate this into their products.

westofyou
04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I absolutely love the multi-tasking on my droid. I don't know why Apple has been so slow to incorporate this into their products.

Apple has always been behind the curve when it comes to multi-tasking.

Caseyfan21
04-04-2010, 10:32 AM

I feel the same. :thumbup:

Caseyfan21
04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
With MLB 2010, you can. When you are listening to the game, in the top right corner is a button you can press that lets you listen to the game through Safari. Because Safari is not an application, but part of the phone, you can listen to the game through it and use all other programs, even Safari, at the same time.

Wow, I did not realize this. Thanks for the heads up.

Caseyfan21
04-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Here is what I would want included to get an iPad:

1) Word Processing and Spreadsheets with an easy keyboard interface. I would want to use this as a "basic" laptop where I can surf the net and do simple word processing. On my personal laptop this is all I really do at home. I'm still not sold that the virtual keyboard is the best thing going either. It's usually pretty easy to use on the iPhone and I assume the larger keyboard is easier to use but I still can't see myself writing long emails or anything on it...just quick notes.

2) Tethering or Compatability with iPhone. I have my iPhone and I pay the monthly fee for my phone bill. If I have an iPad why can't I either get internet through that contract or at the very least hook up my iPhone as a tether. I would never pay my monthly phone bill and then pay another monthly bill for an iPad. Maybe this is already set up like this but I haven't seen it.

If those were both included and the iPad could act like a more mobile laptop I could get onboard. But right now my iPhone and laptop are more than good enough for me.

SeeinRed
04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
This review (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100405/sc_livescience/13glaringipadshortcomings) hits a lot of what I feel about the IPad including this part that really hits the nail on the head:

It doesn't replace anything

The iPad will not replace your smartphone. Unless you can't type, it won't replace your laptop. If you love books, you could argue it's a great e-book reader, but let's see what your wrists say after a few days. The Kindle is a better e-reader. Frankly, we're not sure what need the iPad fills, other than the desire to be cool by owning a device that is in a class all its own.

Caveat Emperor
04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Frankly, we're not sure what need the iPad fills, other than the desire to be cool by owning a device that is in a class all its own.

It's a sandbox device -- the utility of the device will come from software written. The potential is enormous. Maybe it's not what you need or doesn't fill a need at this very second, but to dismiss it out of hand the way lots of people are is amusing.

It's very much like reviewing a video game console based just on whatever game is packed in and claiming that it'll never amount to anything more.

pedro
04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
It's a sandbox device -- the utility of the device will come from software written. The potential is enormous. Maybe it's not what you need or doesn't fill a need at this very second, but to dismiss it out of hand the way lots of people are is amusing.

It's very much like reviewing a video game console based just on whatever game is packed in and claiming that it'll never amount to anything more.

I'd love to have one. I think it'd be great. However, what I really need is a new laptop for work and that's where my money is headed.

Caveat Emperor
04-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Your wish has, apparently, been answered by Apple. Multi-tasking support coming to the iPhone this summer w/ iPhone 4.0.

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Your wish has, apparently, been answered by Apple. Multi-tasking support coming to the iPhone this summer w/ iPhone 4.0.

Quick- wish for the iPhone to come to Verizon!

FutureRedsGM
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM

But only if you own the newest 3GS version. 2G and 3G phones will get part of the update, but not the multitasking function. Also, a new 4G phone is due out this summer / fall. I haven't seen any articles yet with solid info on the features of the new phone.

durl
04-09-2010, 11:26 AM

It's multi-tasking "lite." You can have multiple programs open, but they're not going to be fully functional in the background.

BuckeyeRed27
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
It's multi-tasking "lite." You can have multiple programs open, but they're not going to be fully functional in the background.

Ricky Bobby: "Why do you need the stereo and the TV on at the same time?"
Cal: "Cuz I like to party."

pedro
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM

That's probably adequate on a phone for the most part.

durl
04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
That's probably adequate on a phone for the most part.

For a lot of current smartphone users, you're probably correct. On the other hand, the iPad is not a phone so people expect it to do more (and should, for the asking price).

I'm partial: I use Palm's webOS which features true multi-tasking. It's one of those things that, after you use it, you'll be astonished at how much it improves the user experience.

pedro
04-09-2010, 01:30 PM
For a lot of current smartphone users, you're probably correct. On the other hand, the iPad is not a phone so people expect it to do more (and should, for the asking price).

I'm partial: I use Palm's webOS which features true multi-tasking. It's one of those things that, after you use it, you'll be astonished at how much it improves the user experience.

I hear you on the Ipad, as for the phone, it's not like I'd be running batch task in the back ground like I would with a computer although I could see it mattering if you had some sort of biz app that you were running.

durl
04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
-