Cabrera 6
Votto 3
Phillips 4
Rolen 5
Bruce 9
Nix 7
Hernandez 2
Harang RHP

Straight platoon in center and left? Hmmm. I was really looking forward to seeing more Drew Stubbs and less Laynce Nix.

kfm
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
So I guess Drew Stubbs did not win the centerfield job. Is this a trend or is this because of Chris Carpenter? Dickerson is 5 for 10 off of Carpenter. Not bad. Stubbs is 1 for 3, Gomes is 0 for 4 with 2 so, Nix is 1 for 7 with a homerun.

Zimmers
04-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow total disbelief. I dont hate nix but out of all the options he should be dead last. No way stubbs after hitting .350 and last i heard tied for homeruns in spring training should not be starting. Wow just wow.

jt4prez
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I hate this lineup. This is opening day and the best players should play regardless of who is pitching. Stubbs> Nix.

Knightro28
04-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Was it just me or did Drew Stubbs go on an absolute hot streak to end spring training?

I remember when Dickerson made some drama early on about not getting considered for the centerfield position. At the time, he was raking, Stubbs was hitting worse than Taveras. But that was like 5-10 games into spring training. Final spring training #'s-

Stubbs .300/.354/.700 (!!!)
Dickerson .288/.327/.462

Dumb decision Dusty. Stick with the hot hand, regardless of platoons/splits.

And all of that is just my opinion between Stubbs and Dickerson in center. Obviously there are 3 positions in the outfield, and I don't even want to go into Dickerson vs. Nix.

kfm
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
It is pretty clear from the numbers that Dickerson should be in the lineup against Carpenter. He has 5 hits in 10 at bats. The argument is really stubbs vs. Nix.

Knightro28
04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
It is pretty clear from the numbers that Dickerson should be in the lineup against Carpenter. He has 5 hits in 10 at bats. The argument is really stubbs vs. Nix.

You are right about that. I guess I'm just saying that Stubbs has done everything possible to deserve a starting role, not only with his bat, but with elite defense. Dickerson should get time (no question), but in left field. Nix should only come off of the bench. My opinion is this...

Stubbs > Dickerson
Dickerson > Nix
Stubbs >> Nix

ochoa30
04-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Stubbs earned the opening day job, dickerson should have been in left. I know it's just the first game but I will be extremely displeased if this continues. Stubbs needs to play everyday.

sivman17
04-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Just prepare for another year of questioning and second guessing Dusty's lineups all year. I cannot believe Nix is starting on opening day for us. Nix blows.

kfm
04-04-2010, 06:36 PM
You are right about that. I guess I'm just saying that Stubbs has done everything possible to deserve a starting role, not only with his bat, but with elite defense. Dickerson should get time (no question), but in left field. Nix should only come off of the bench. My opinion is this...

Stubbs > Dickerson
Dickerson > Nix
Stubbs >> Nix

I would start Stubbs and Dickerson. If this is a one game thing, I guess I can live with it, but if this is a trend it is very dissappointing. Now that I have voiced my displeasure, Nix will probably go 3 for 4 with a homerun and 3 rbi.

gedred69
04-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I am extremely dissapointed if this is in fact the OD lineup. Harang starting,------------how deep might the 1st inning hole be? (I hope I'm Wrong). Wunderkind Stubbs and best power indicator Gomes not in the line-up?

GIDP
04-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I dont understand why Dusty goes by platoons so much but insist on batting Phillips where he does every day. I like Dickerson but Stubbs shouldnt be sitting for Nix especially considering how bad Nix has been for his whole career. Hey at least Cairo isnt in there.

double21d
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
You never know if one won the job or not. If I'm not mistaken, Darnell McDonald started opening day last year. Perhaps there was a reason (I think Taveras was injured or sick or something). Either way, the opening day lineup doesn't always indicate who are the "everyday starters", especially with Baker.

GIDP
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh and you just knew Dusty would start dickerson after our awesome last rate media brought up Dickerson was hitting well in spring. I bet Dusty still thinks Dickerson out hit Stubbs.

Best of all Nix is 1-7 against Carpenter lol

GIDP
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
You never know if one won the job or not. If I'm not mistaken, Darnell McDonald started opening day last year. Perhaps there was a reason (I think Taveras was injured or sick or something). Either way, the opening day lineup doesn't always indicate who are the "everyday starters", especially with Baker.

Yea I remember when McDonald was awful and misread like 3 fly balls in that game.

Knightro28
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Side note: Darnell McDonald in last year's opening day lineup was annoying on multiple levels. Mostly for the stat used later in the season "Dusty Baker has used his opening day lineup X amount of times due to injuries, trades, etc"...

GIDP
04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Also one more thing since im on a roll. Dusty just showed everyone that if you complain to the media you will get your way.

ochoa30
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Also one more thing since im on a roll. Dusty just showed everyone that if you complain to the media you will get your way.

Not to mentioned him getting outplayed after having a great opening week.

kfm
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM

I guess going 5 for 10 off of Carpenter has nothing to do with it. As I said earlier, I would start Stubbs and Dickerson. But to say Dickerson only had one good week and that his play has nothing to do with him starting or that his career 1000 ops against Carpenter play no role in him starting against Carpenter seems to be wrong on many fronts.

Mr Larkin
04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Guys, this is just opening day. This line up is not etched in stone. Its going to be fine.

GIDP
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Guys, this is just opening day. This line up is not etched in stone. Its going to be fine.

We have seen this Dusty Baker show before. Him thinking just because a guy is a lefty he must be good against righties is nothing new. The guy only sees what he wants to see.

Newport Red
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I just hope Harang makes it through 6 with the Reds within reach.

Ghosts of 1990
04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Gonna be another long season for Jay Bruce getting protected by stiffs like Nix and Hanigan/Hernandez all year. Dusty, hope you know something we don't.

mlh1981
04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm assuming this won't be the everyday lineup, as that bottom half could be absolutely brutal.

JayBruceFan
04-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Watch Nix have a break out season and hit 20-25 HRs

Now that would be funny

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2010, 12:33 AM

I think this lineup will struggle to score runs all year.

Really, who is a threat aside from Votto? Rolen? Phillips? The lineup is extremely light compared to years ago.

GIDP
04-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Watch Nix have a break out season and hit 20-25 HRs

Now that would be funny

It would be funny but it would be a complete surprise and not even remotely the reason why hes on the team.

Plus he could hit 20 and still be a bad player.

mroby85
04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I think this lineup will struggle to score runs all year.

Really, who is a threat aside from Votto? Rolen? Phillips? The lineup is extremely light compared to years ago.

I agree with you, sadly all I think they need is a cleanup hitter, and that would put everyone else into their place. Also possibly a good leadoff hitter, but I still think they'd be good with what they have. Cabrera is a solid #2 hitter, votto #3, Rolen #5, and you could move Phillips to where he belongs at #6, Then if Bruce has a good season in the #7 spot it could be a very tough lineup to deal with, unfortunately they've needed that cleanup bat for a few years, and haven't done anything to fix it. Hope for a surprise in Bruce I guess.

bgwilly31
04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree with you, sadly all I think they need is a cleanup hitter, and that would put everyone else into their place. Also possibly a good leadoff hitter, but I still think they'd be good with what they have. Cabrera is a solid #2 hitter, votto #3, Rolen #5, and you could move Phillips to where he belongs at #6, Then if Bruce has a good season in the #7 spot it could be a very tough lineup to deal with, unfortunately they've needed that cleanup bat for a few years, and haven't done anything to fix it. Hope for a surprise in Bruce I guess.

Thats been the dumbest thing the reds have done for the past 2 offseasons. They have to know phillips isnt a solution in the 4 hole. Your ruining the guys career putting him there.

Hopefully the players can over come the dumb mistakes by the orginization.

BLEEDS
04-05-2010, 12:19 PM
According to a CTrent tweet, per Dusty this is "mostly a Carpenter thing", and not a platoon in CF thing.

Great.

SO, I get that Dickerson is 5/10 against Carpenter, fine, he can start today.

Nix is 1 for 7 against Carpenter, the 1 being a homerun.

Stubbs is 1 for 3 against Carpenter.

Stubbs in CF, Dickerson in LF? That would be reasonable right?
Oh, then we couldn't possibly let Dickerson lead-off since he's NOT playing CF.
Oh, and Nix is Lefty. Who cares that Stubbs could go 0-4 and still have as good a BA versus Carpenter than Nix does.:confused::angry:

There's tDUHsty for ya...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

defender
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Nix is the 5th OFer, but he is still going to get some starts. I am fine with today's lineup.