PDA

View Full Version : Reds hitting stats through 6 games.

bgwilly31
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I know its a small sample pool.

We all know our hitting is struggling and for those that dont understand how bad thus far. Well heres just a few stats.

-Reds rank 6th in strike outs in the mlb. One good thing about that stat is the marlins are 5th;)

-Reds rank 23rd in Team avg. @ .230. The astros are .197

-Reds rank 27th in Team obp. @.284 The phillies are first with .405

-Reds rank 29th in Doubles with 6. The dodgers and phillies are leading w/ 19:eek:

And now for the worst one, and the most telling of them all.

-Reds rank 2nd to last in Team walks. with only 15. The astros are the only ones worst then that with only 5.

Like i said i am very aware that we have only played 6 games. This is just for poop and giggles and hoping that this isnt a tell for the rest of the season.

:(

nemesis
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Reds rank 27th in Team obp. @.284

Dusty's work here... is done... LMAO

Got rid of dem dang basecloggers... Swing away boys, swing away.

Redlegs_87
04-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Those are pretty darn poor. Leake yesterday showed the best patience at the plate then the whole team this year so far.

Kingspoint
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Bruce added 49 points to his batting average with one swing in the 2nd inning tonight.

goreds2
04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Only

http://myadengine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/6.jpg

games have been played thus far. Wait until at least the middle of May to judge.

UPRedsFan
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Here comes Bruce! 2 hits in 2 ab's tonight.

He's been hitting it hard all last week, just couldn't find the open spots.

When he heats up the offense will improve drastically.

Vottomatic
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
The best offensive teams are patient at the plate, draw walks, and make the other team nervous.

Reds42MLB
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
And thru 7 games we are 4-3. Only stat I care about. Winning and we aren't hitting the ball. Yea I will take it.

Knightro28
04-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Definitely still early.

Good signs from tonight that Bruce is finally finding some holes and if Scott Rolen has a resurgence of power this year, that will have massive ripple effects on our offense.

redsfan_12
04-13-2010, 12:44 AM
And thru 7 games we are 4-3. Only stat I care about. Winning and we aren't hitting the ball. Yea I will take it.

Exactly..being 4-3 after 7 games under the circumstances..(no offense, certain guys in the rotation struggling) things are looking good fellas

joshua
04-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Especially awesome being 4-3 after playing two series against the cards and cubs is great. It's very reasonable to think we could come away from the next two series being at least 8-5. Best case scenario is strutting into Houston with a 10-3 record.

Altsciguy
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes our hitting is weak weak weak. I went to all the 4 of the home games and watched last night. We are swinging for the wall!! Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes even Phillips. Sure now and then they catch one and over the wall HR the crowd cheers and we squeek out another win, or we do not get it and lose or a single run HR. We need to be patient, draw some walks, hit some small ball, make contact and get men on base. I know it sounds little league-ish but basics are basics. big swings and strike outs are getting us to .500 ball. We have the team to be winning. We have decent pitching now and more in the wings. We have some weakness in fielding but good players that will tighten up as the season goes on. It IS on Dusty to start managing these guys and rein them in from glory swinging to team at bats getting on base and advancing men. If we start batting smart and patient the HRs will come, but looking only for the big hit and we will see the season slip away.

Griffey012
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I feel like so far we have had an abnormal amount of great defensive plays to rob our players of hits also. I know in the Cardinals series they made every play they possibly could, including some tough ones, leaping over the wall, and diving catches. I was able to listen to the first game of the cubs series and it seemed like there were about 4 or 5 balls stolen from us in that game.

Cabrera will get going to around .260-.275 and I really feel like Bruce is gonna have balls fall soon and get going. We should be able to count on Votto also. The other guys...who knows they will most likely be streaky.

All in all I think we have enough offense to keep winning with our pitching, but I would gladly gladly take another bat.

bgwilly31
04-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Right you could be blind to some stats and think that way sure. But that would be ignoring the fact that in the long run winning teams dont have these types of stats.

So yeah sure iw ill take 4-3 as well. But i would rather see some signs that point towards us being a winning team in the long run.

Last night was definitely an improvement. 6 runs for the first time since opening day. And a win to go with it.

Reds42MLB
04-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Right you could be blind to some stats and think that way sure. But that would be ignoring the fact that in the long run winning teams dont have these types of stats.

So yeah sure iw ill take 4-3 as well. But i would rather see some signs that point towards us being a winning team in the long run.

Last night was definitely an improvement. 6 runs for the first time since opening day. And a win to go with it.

I can easily come back and say good teams find a way to win even when they aren't playing their best. Good teams find a way to win close games. Something the Reds have done thus far. Of course the bats need to get better, that is common sense. I think our youth at the plate has a lot to do with the slow start. Guys being impatient and swinging wildy is very typical of young ball players. A good example to counter this at Scott Rolen. He has done nothing but hit like a veteran through the first 7 games and been very savvy at the plate. If Rolen's discipline and approach at the plate is able to wear off on some of these younger guys I think we will be just fine.

bgwilly31
04-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I can easily come back and say good teams find a way to win even when they aren't playing their best. Good teams find a way to win close games. Something the Reds have done thus far. Of course the bats need to get better, that is common sense. I think our youth at the plate has a lot to do with the slow start. Guys being impatient and swinging wildy is very typical of young ball players. A good example to counter this at Scott Rolen. He has done nothing but hit like a veteran through the first 7 games and been very savvy at the plate. If Rolen's discipline and approach at the plate is able to wear off on some of these younger guys I think we will be just fine.

I think we are on the same page.

But the bolded text would once again explain the short term but not long run. You cant hit like we are right now in the long run and be a winning team in the end.

We were all expecting more from the hitters this year. So far were not really getting it. Some were getting worse.

Heres to it turning around and that this small sample pool is a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

There's actually an article about this on the reds.com front page.

Mr Larkin
04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
We are still 3-3. The rankings mean nothing.

bgwilly31
04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
We are still 3-3. The rankings mean nothing.

4-3.:thumbup:

joshua
04-14-2010, 12:13 AM
5-3! Half a game out of first.

Altsciguy
04-14-2010, 05:44 AM
much better at bats last night. 19 men on base singles and doubles and getting walks. 8 runs is good offence, a bit of a lose it inning to let the fish get back in it but...... more good at bats in the 11th. So it can be done and now the reds have shown they can do it all now just bring it all together. on a side note young Stubbs was not impressive still swinging a bit wild.

Mr Larkin
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
This may not make sense to the rest of you, but consider this. SD stomped Atlanta 17-2 a few days ago. Their runs per game will surely spike, but 17 runs in one game will not help your season. The real idea is to score enough on each given night to win. That's what good teams do. Excited about 5-3.

bgwilly31
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Puts a lot of pressure on your pitchers. ^^^

jredmo2
04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Take solace knowing that we can't possibly be worse than the Astros. You know, that team with 6 total walks on the season (and 50 strikeouts). I can't wait to play them