PDA

View Full Version : Harang's gotta go

Griffey012
04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Harang to the pen, Owings or Wood into the rotation. It has to happen. I have been possibly the biggest supporter of Harang here in the SunDeck. Tonight was the first game I had been able to watch on tv this season, I saw Harang's opening day start live at the game. He is downright painful to watch, I honestly cannot tell if he cares he is out there or not. No emotion, no apparent desire to win...he appears to be satisfied and it drives me nuts. Challenging hitter's is one thing, but for **** sake stop throwing it right down the pipe. Those are not mistakes either, that is just the sign of bad pitching.

Owings has pitched well in relief, and at least he is good sometimes and bad the other...Harang seems he has been average to below average for a majority of starts recently, and if he pitches well it tends to be worse than the opposing starting pitcher. Eventually a horrible W-L record begins to tell a story. At least Owings is good half the time and bad half the time...we may be able to win half the starts Owings pitches. We might win 25% of the one's Harang starts because he always pitches just worse than the other team.

I am no longer confident we have a good chance of winning when Harang pitches, I am confident with our 4 other starters, especially Arroyo.

GIDP
04-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey its another one of these threads.

lidspinner
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
AH always seems to put together a few good innings...why is not a thought to put him in the pen and see what happens? whats the worse that could happen, and that is a serious question....by all accounts he is gone after this year anyhow so why not see what he has in teh pen....might be a new found interest for him. Might be the spark that he needs to get his juices flowing again......I dont know either but I sure as heck would experiment before I go letting him kill this team any further....

Carolina Red
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Harang is toast. Deal him to make room for a lefty in the rotation:D

Griffey012
04-15-2010, 11:33 PM
AH always seems to put together a few good innings...why is not a thought to put him in the pen and see what happens? whats the worse that could happen, and that is a serious question....by all accounts he is gone after this year anyhow so why not see what he has in teh pen....might be a new found interest for him. Might be the spark that he needs to get his juices flowing again......I dont know either but I sure as heck would experiment before I go letting him kill this team any further....

He could potentially be a good and important middle relief guy who can go a few innings...if he can't be counted on to at least throw 6+ innings every start his value is significantly decreased. The pen could be a real possibility.

ian_madden
04-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Harang is toast. Deal him to make room for a lefty in the rotation:D

Who Matt Maloney?

No really, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that Harang always pitched just worse than the other starting pitcher. The other starting pitcher is their ace, he has always thrown against these guys. Of course he is going to have a losing record. He might be the worst "ace" in baseball. But by all account you cant feel comfortable with any of our guys on the mound right now. None of our starters have recorded a victory yet, and we haven't seen many quality starts. Its not just him.

sivman17
04-16-2010, 12:53 AM
If Harang is allowed to go out for another start it shows that this organization is simply not serious about winning.

Who cares about what he's paid? If you really care about winning you will not put him out on the mound again. Especially when there are guys like Chapman, Wood, Lehr, and Maloney that would be much better fit for the rotation. Harang has no more use on this team. Ever since 3 years ago he has been nothing but terrible. Seriously, there is no upside to this guy.

NastyBoy
04-16-2010, 12:54 AM
I think it is pretty funny that everyone is jumping on Harang. The guy has gone 12-33 in the past three seasons, but inevitably someone will say it is not about wins and losses. Or... he has poor run support. Or... his ERA is not that bad. OR this or that or BLAH BlaH bLah. But what it really comes down to is he is getting a fraking huge amount of money to be the ACE of the pitching staff, so Dusty will keep running him out there every fifth day until his arm falls off or he is traded.

Kingspoint
04-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Harang to the pen, Owings or Wood into the rotation.

If this keeps up for another six weeks, then I wish that would happen.

If this keeps up for another six weeks, then they just can't keep throwing him out there every five days expecting different results than he's had for his last 60+ starts.

That said, I still give Harang another six weeks to try to figure this out.

Kingspoint
04-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Sparky Anderson once said, "Give me 25 guys on the last year of their contract and I'd win the World Series."

Harang pitches like he's smoking dope. "Whatever, man.....guess I gave up another extra-base hit at the wrong time.....whatever...I'll just keep doing what I do, cause that's what I do...."

Actually, that last quote is a direct quote of Harang, him saying that he's going to keep doing things the way he's been doing things. That was about a year ago. "How's that workin' for ya, Aaron?"

redsfanmia
04-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Harang is ok he is just not what he was. He threw the ball well his first two starts I think he will be fine.

muddie
04-16-2010, 06:12 AM
If he is still where he is after three or four more starts you have to look at changing something. If this was the same-old same-old Reds team it wouldn't get the scrutiny it is. The expectations are for a winning record this year, at least from me, and a possible shot at the wild card. This team isn't good enough to pencil in a loss every five days from the same starter and be successful.

Maldez
04-16-2010, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE=Griffey012;2057362.... He is downright painful to watch, I honestly cannot tell if he cares he is out there or not. No emotion, no apparent desire to win...he appears to be satisfied and it drives me nuts. Challenging hitter's is one thing, but for **** sake stop throwing it right down the pipe. ...[/QUOTE]

Harang has always had a very effortless looking delivery, and his cool on the mound was praised back when he was winning, so we can't point a finger at those traits and say "A-HA!!That's why he sucks today !!"

To be frank, I was always amazed that he was as effective as he was a few years ago. His fastball looked like batting practice stuff and hitters just swung right through it. Now it just looks like batting practice. Why the change, I have no idea but if doesn't go back to being more like the Harang of old pretty soon he's going to blow-up Cincy's chances this season.

Griffey012
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Harang has always had a very effortless looking delivery, and his cool on the mound was praised back when he was winning, so we can't point a finger at those traits and say "A-HA!!That's why he sucks today !!"

To be frank, I was always amazed that he was as effective as he was a few years ago. His fastball looked like batting practice stuff and hitters just swung right through it. Now it just looks like batting practice. Why the change, I have no idea but if doesn't go back to being more like the Harang of old pretty soon he's going to blow-up Cincy's chances this season.

I was referring to the quotes that someone pointed out in a recent article where Harang is always saying "just two mistakes" or "a couple bad pitches, otherwise i threw well"...I for once just want to hear him say I need to do better, I didn't do my job today, or I didn't bring it today. Being cool and collective is good, especially as a pitcher, but at what point do you get tired of losing?

Griffey012
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Who Matt Maloney?

No really, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that Harang always pitched just worse than the other starting pitcher. The other starting pitcher is their ace, he has always thrown against these guys. Of course he is going to have a losing record. He might be the worst "ace" in baseball. But by all account you cant feel comfortable with any of our guys on the mound right now. None of our starters have recorded a victory yet, and we haven't seen many quality starts. Its not just him.

The thing is Harang does not always pitch against the other teams #1. Outside of the first few weeks of the season teams off days vary, rainouts, etc...and #1's going against #1's gets thrown off.

Last season he went against the following #1 starters.

Johan
Zambrano x2
Josh Johnson
Carpenter
Buehrle
I'll give him Matt Cain x2

jimbo
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I remember last year at this time we had an "Arroyo's gotta go" thread going.

malcontent
04-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Who Matt Maloney?
Uh-huh. That's whom I'd call up.

Griffey012
04-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I remember last year at this time we had an "Arroyo's gotta go" thread going.

This time last year Arroyo was 3-0.

ILoveWilly
04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Harang is done, his arm just seems dead right now. Maybe Price helps him to an Arroyo like resurgence over the second half of the year or something. I could see it happening, but right now he just looks dead in the water.

Jack Burton
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
He's a bum

redsfan2128
04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
why yall hatin on harang yall have no idea wat ur saying he pitched lights out his 1st 2 starts except or 4 pitches which were all homers he gave up 4 hits vs the cubs and 3 of them were home runs the only problem with our pitchers is the choice of pitches except arroyo every1 throws too many fastball like harang he tries o paint the outside black a good hitter will go the other way with same with bailey if he gets he curve ball over for strikes hes effective look at arroyo throw his change and his nasty slider for strikes then u can throw em in the dirt and get the hitter to chase dontquit on harang yet wait till allstart break n see how hes doing cause by then chapman and volquez will be ready cant wait til volquez comes back he is nasty

tobttr
04-16-2010, 01:14 PM
why yall hatin on harang yall have no idea wat ur saying he pitched lights out his 1st 2 starts except or 4 pitches which were all homers he gave up 4 hits vs the cubs and 3 of them were home runs the only problem with our pitchers is the choice of pitches except arroyo every1 throws too many fastball like harang he tries o paint the outside black a good hitter will go the other way with same with bailey if he gets he curve ball over for strikes hes effective look at arroyo throw his change and his nasty slider for strikes then u can throw em in the dirt and get the hitter to chase dontquit on harang yet wait till allstart break n see how hes doing cause by then chapman and volquez will be ready cant wait til volquez comes back he is nasty

Isn't saying Harang pitched lights out except for giving up 3 HR kinda like saying that Sirhan Sirhan spent most of his life not killing anyone named Kennedy?

jimbo
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
This time last year Arroyo was 3-0.

His record at the time doesn't tell the whole story. He got shelled for 9 earned runs his start immediately following his 3-0 start, and got shelled for another 9 earned runs in one inning two starts later. He had a stretch where he was a lot worse than Harang has been and there were plenty of "Arroyo is done," and "Arroyo needs to go" threads here during that time.

Point is that it's a long season.

Caveman Techie
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I love all the quick to judge fans out there. Harang has been the stud of this team for years now, and except for last night has started the season pretty well. Hell last year everyone was ready to ship him off for a bag of balls and he finished the season with an ERA that was a little bit lower than the Major League avg. for starting pitchers. Guys like that don't just fall out of trees. Now do I think Harang is being misused in the #1 starters role, You betcha but that is a failure of managements not his. I'll give the guy a little slack. A pitcher can have an off night and then come back the next time and be lights out.

Vottomatic
04-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey its another one of these threads.

Post of the Year!!!! :D

berryluther
04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I love all the quick to judge fans out there. Harang has been the stud of this team for years now, and except for last night has started the season pretty well. Hell last year everyone was ready to ship him off for a bag of balls and he finished the season with an ERA that was a little bit lower than the Major League avg. for starting pitchers. Guys like that don't just fall out of trees. Now do I think Harang is being misused in the #1 starters role, You betcha but that is a failure of managements not his. I'll give the guy a little slack. A pitcher can have an off night and then come back the next time and be lights out.

Really? Can you be a stud and go 6-22 (or whatever) for a loosing team?

I think 2 years of very less than stellar performance is more than enough of a chance. At this point this organazation owes him nothing. For what he has been paid a refund is in order.

sivman17
04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
1 win in his last 20 starts. 1 win. That's all he has, is 1 god **** win?

That's pathetic.

Caveman Techie
04-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Judging a pitcher on wins and losses is foolhardy. Remember Jimmy Haynes? Hell he won 14 games! Do you want him pitching for the Reds?

Oh and his two "less than stellar" years were still right at or better than League avg. for ERA. Like I said he is miscast as a number 1 pitcher, but I still think he has what it takes to be an effective pitcher in the Majors.

mattfeet
04-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Wow...my head hurts after (trying to) read this...
:confused:

Carolina Red
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Who Matt Maloney?

I think his name is Chapman.

ukwazoo
04-17-2010, 01:14 AM
For the money he's making, Harang should be a flat-out stud. He isn't even decent. He should have been dealt last year. Our rotation now looks like this:

Harang - done
Cueto - good every other game
Arroyo - great now, but will go through his usual awful stretch soon
Bailey - has yet to mature
Leake - looks good so far, when he isn't walking batters in droves

The weak link right now is Harang. And he makes a ridiculous amount of money. He should be gone yesterday.

Kingspoint
04-17-2010, 01:42 AM
You've got to give Bryan Price an opportunity to work with him a couple of months under "real-time" conditions. I really, really like Bryan Price, and I believe we'll see a different (that means good) Harang in June.

lidspinner
04-17-2010, 12:26 PM
kings....good point in givign him some time...but what happens in May when Chapman comes up? who does he replace if things continue to go south with AH between now and then? What if Wood continues to impress? I see no reason to keep AH in the starting rotation and Mike Lincoln in the pen if Chapman and/or Wood is ready....Even though Mike L has impressed me lately...what to do? what to do?

I will be pissed if this team makes its decision based up money and contracts....if AH is the weakest link then he needs to go regardless of money owed or spot in the rotation...that is not how you win games.

Vottomatic
04-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I really think management was hoping Harang and Lincoln would pitch well early on, which would possibly help get them traded. It's completely backfired at this point.

NastyBoy
04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
You've got to give Bryan Price an opportunity to work with him a couple of months under "real-time" conditions. I really, really like Bryan Price, and I believe we'll see a different (that means good) Harang in June.

Two more months of "real" games that count in the standings and the Reds will be out of if by June.

Kingspoint
04-18-2010, 05:43 AM
kings....good point in givign him some time...but what happens in May when Chapman comes up? who does he replace if things continue to go south with AH between now and then? What if Wood continues to impress? I see no reason to keep AH in the starting rotation and Mike Lincoln in the pen if Chapman and/or Wood is ready....Even though Mike L has impressed me lately...what to do? what to do?

I will be pissed if this team makes its decision based up money and contracts....if AH is the weakest link then he needs to go regardless of money owed or spot in the rotation...that is not how you win games.

Chapman doesn't come up in May. The earliest he'll come up is June. Everyone else can wait until then, too.

Kingspoint
04-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Two more months of "real" games that count in the standings and the Reds will be out of if by June.That's only 8 more starts. There's more to worry about than just the 8 starts by Harang:

(not counting Saturday's loss other than the "losing streak")

1. 4-game losing streak
2. .200 OBP by our "#2 hitter"
3. .289 OBP by our "#1 hitter" (especially when Dickerson leads the team at .391)
4. .209, .217, and .219 averages by our Old-Timers (respectively, 35-year old Cabrera, 34-year old Hernandez, and 35-year old Rolen)
5. .372 SLG by our "clean-up hitter"
6. .422 OPS by Bruce
7. Team Batting of .235 AVG, .304 OBP, .386 SLG, and .691 OPS (ranked 15th, 15th, 14th, and 15th respectively out of 16 NL teams)
8. 89 Strikouts by the Offense, Dead Last (meaning we have the most) in the NL

With all of that going against us, we're still only 2 games under .500. A win tomorrow (got to like our chances of Arroyo vs Maholm), and we're set up to get back to .500 in the next series against the Dodgers beginning Tuesday in Cincy.

1990REDS
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM
That's only 8 more starts. There's more to worry about than just the 8 starts by Harang:

1. 4-game losing streak
2. .200 OBP by our "#2 hitter"
3. .289 OBP by our "#1 hitter" (especially when Dickerson leads the team at .391)
4. .209, .217, and .219 averages by our Old-Timers (respectively, 35-year old Cabrera, 34-year old Hernandez, and 35-year old Rolen)
5. .372 SLG by our "clean-up hitter"
6. .422 OPS by Bruce
7. Team Batting of .235 AVG, .304 OBP, .386 SLG, and .691 OPS (ranked 15th, 15th, 14th, and 15th respectively out of 16 NL teams)
8. 89 Strikouts by the Offense, Dead Last (meaning we have the most) in the NL

With all of that going against us, we're still only 2 games under .500. A win tomorrow (got to like our chances of Arroyo vs Maholm), and we're set up to get back to .500 in the next series against the Dodgers beginning Tuesday in Cincy.

I love your optomism. I wish i had some of it.

Kingspoint
04-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, Bruce stepped up.

That ends problem #6.

Cabrera was on base 2 of 4 today. That ends problem #2.

We'll get it going.

Vottomatic
04-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Well, Bruce stepped up.

That ends problem #6.

We'll get it going.

Yes. All is well in RedsLand.

1990REDS
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, Bruce stepped up.

That ends problem #6.

We'll get it going.

well assuming 1 game fixes the problem (which it doesnt). We now only have 6 glaring weaknesses and not 8. Great time to be a reds fan!!

vottofan4life
04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
First Move: Fire Brook Jacoby/Bring in Eric Davis or Barry Larkin
Possible Alternative To the first move: Fire Baker and bring in Rick Sweet right away.

Second Move: Trade or Release Aaron harang..Right now he is just holding this team back and i want to see the future now up in cincy whether its Matt Maloney, Travis Wood, or Aroldis Chapman...Maybe a Harang and Phillips swap over to the mets for John Maine and Luis Castillo along with Omir Santos to help our catching depth.

Third Move: We need a right handed bat. It sickens me still that Brandon Phillips is our clean up hitter. If that means we have to sign Gary Sheffield or Jermaine Dye or go out in trade for a batter such as Jeremy Hermida(left), Yunel Escobar(Right), Jeff Franceour(right) or maybe thinking way out of the box and going out to get Carlos Quentin with the White Sox tailing off too even though it is still early.

For Quentin I think maybe a Jay Bruce, Matt Maloney and Francisco Cordero for Bobby Jenks and Carlos Quentin could be that possibilty even though things would possibly change.

malcontent
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

"His issues really have nothing to do with balls and strikes," Price said. "He's throwing a lot of strikes. His stuff is good. He's throwing 88-94 mph with his good slider. When push comes to shove, he really was a fastball-slider pitcher with two other really good pitches he really hasn't milked too much to this point. I'm trying to get him to institute his offspeed [pitch]. I think there will be immediate dividends when he does that."

I find this hard to believe. Two other really good pitches (I'm assuming curve and change) that despite two years of getting beaten around Harang refuses to throw?

NastyBoy
04-20-2010, 12:56 AM
That's only 8 more starts. There's more to worry about than just the 8 starts by Harang:

1. 4-game losing streak

It would be nice to have a stopper like Harang come out and earn his Roy Halladay money and "stop" the losing streak.

Kingspoint
04-20-2010, 01:19 AM
From Mark Sheldon:

"His issues really have nothing to do with balls and strikes," Price said. "He's throwing a lot of strikes. His stuff is good. He's throwing 88-94 mph with his good slider. When push comes to shove, he really was a fastball-slider pitcher with two other really good pitches he really hasn't milked too much to this point. I'm trying to get him to institute his offspeed [pitch]. I think there will be immediate dividends when he does that."

I find this hard to believe. Two other really good pitches (I'm assuming curve and change) that despite two years of getting beaten around Harang refuses to throw?

For the last two years, I've said that Harang's problems have been his "stubbornness" on the mound....that's it's not been the quality of his pitches, but which pitch he chooses to throw when and where. He's lazy in the mind. That's where Bryan Price can change him. If he doesn't change after Price works with him under "live conditions" after a couple of months, then Walt will jettison him for whatever return he can get.

BUT..........if Bryan Price can get through that thick skull of his, we'll have a veteran 220 Inning eater, than can lead this club instead of holding it back, and thus help guide it into playoff contention come September 1st. We'll know the answer six weeks from today. Don't call for the hangman's noose just yet.

NastyBoy
04-20-2010, 02:09 AM
For the last two years, I've said that Harang's problems have been his "stubbornness" on the mound....that's it's not been the quality of his pitches, but which pitch he chooses to throw when and where. He's lazy in the mind. That's where Bryan Price can change him. If he doesn't change after Price works with him under "live conditions" after a couple of months, then Walt will jettison him for whatever return he can get.

BUT..........if Bryan Price can get through that thick skull of his, we'll have a veteran 220 Inning eater, than can lead this club instead of holding it back, and thus help guide it into playoff contention come September 1st. We'll know the answer six weeks from today. Don't call for the hangman's noose just yet.

A nice revelation here... Reds ACE that just needs a little coaching to get him over the hump.

Griffey012
04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Here we go again......

Chris Sabowned
04-21-2010, 08:00 PM
He's done. Wood or Chapman should be moved to the rotation for Harang ASAP.

If you wanna bullpen him, bullpen him, if you wanna designate him for assignment or trade him then go for it, but he simply is does as a starter.

cbowen2112
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
He's done. Wood or Chapman should be moved to the rotation for Harang ASAP.

If you wanna bullpen him, bullpen him, if you wanna designate him for assignment or trade him then go for it, but he simply is does as a starter.

I agree.

Off topic, but do you think that Bailey can be our ace next year? Looking at your sig I know you did not think he would start the year the way he has, but what say ye?

TippyDrunks
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Could they send him down to AAA (if he would accept) to get his stuff straightened if so bring up if not leave him down there instead of losing games for the Reds. If he dont accept and not willing to get things straightened out ship him out by releasing him or trade him for anything they can get for him while the club eat some of his contract anyways. Replacing Harang with Maloney.

Go Reds

TC81190
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Could they send him down to AAA (if he would accept) to get his stuff straightened if so bring up if not leave him down there instead of losing games for the Reds. If he dont accept and not willing to get things straightened out ship him out by releasing him or trade him for anything they can get for him while the club eat some of his contract anyways. Replacing Harang with Maloney.

Go Reds
I don't see anyway that could happen.

Chris Sabowned
04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
I agree.

Off topic, but do you think that Bailey can be our ace next year? Looking at your sig I know you did not think he would start the year the way he has, but what say ye?

Off topic response: Going off how he pitched down the stretch last year, yes I think he could be. Not off to a great start this year, but does pitching first in the rotation make you an ace? Does that mean Harang is our ace?

Fullboat
04-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Anybody thinking Harang + steroids = good pitcher Harang -steroids = not so good?

TC81190
04-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Anybody thinking Harang + steroids = good pitcher Harang -steroids = not so good?
Nope, not at all. Steroids didn't give him a good slider and plus command. His fastball is as fast (if not faster) as it's ever been.

He's simply on the wrong side of 30 years old, if steroids were in the picture, we might still have the Harang of old.

Jack Burton
04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Anyone got Harang's numbers pre/post Dusty? Would be interested in seeing how they stack up.

Griffey012
04-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Harang small contract = good pitcher, Harang gets his payday = bad pitcher.

sivman17
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I think we should follow the Cubs lead and send him to the bullpen. Bring up Chapman or Wood. There is absolutely no reason to send him out there again for a start. He is so consistently bad. I hate knowing he is going to start, it's almost a guaranteed loss.

The Operator
04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Anyone got Harang's numbers pre/post Dusty? Would be interested in seeing how they stack up.

You can't pin all of this on Dusty.

It's clear in my mind that part of this is stemming from years of abuse on Harang, but you have to remember just how hard Jerry Narron rode him before Dusty was ever here. There was much made of it on this very site at the time.

If Harang's issues are abuse related (and they probably are, IMO) then I'd say Jerry Narron threw the 75-yd pass to put him in the poor performance redzone and Dusty was the power fullback that pushed him the rest of the way.

Obviously, the stupid relief stint two years ago in San Diego seems to have torpedoed his performance - but it was only the last straw in a long line of abusive straws that was started before Dusty was ever the Reds skipper.

1990REDS
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Harang small contract = good pitcher, Harang gets his payday = bad pitcher.

Funny how it works like that sometimes.

malcontent
04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
The blister seems to be more bad luck for Matt Maloney. Tearing it up in AAA (again), and a rotation spot just begging for a change.

Maybe he'll have to ditch the cutter assuming that's what caused it this time. Looks like the pickle juice didn't work.

batsfan
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
CC Sabathia had a 13.50 ERA through his first four starts of 2008. In his next 31 of the year, he had a 1.88 ERA. Obviously, I don't expect that kind of performance from Harang, but it shows that the first four starts of the year can really mean nothing.