PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is the problem?

will5979
04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I just want to know what this team's major malfunction is? Is it that hard to to take a series from the Marlins? And lets be honest Cincy could have easily lost every game of this series.

I thought for sure the damn offense would be better this year having another year under their belt to gel. Where is Adam Dunn when you need him? I'm sick of this lackluster franchise!

Griffey012
04-16-2010, 09:01 AM
I just want to know what this team's major malfunction is? Is it that hard to to take a series from the Marlins? And lets be honest Cincy could have easily lost every game of this series.

I thought for sure the damn offense would be better this year having another year under their belt to gel. Where is Adam Dunn when you need him? I'm sick of this lackluster franchise!

We could have lost every game of the series, but we didn't we split. 2-2 on the road against a good team is not bad. We could have done better, but we did ok. It's early and we are still in a solid position and the bats woke up a bit on Wednesday and Thursday.

BigPoppa
04-16-2010, 09:51 AM
We could have lost every game of the series, but we didn't we split. 2-2 on the road against a good team is not bad. We could have done better, but we did ok. It's early and we are still in a solid position and the bats woke up a bit on Wednesday and Thursday.

This

ILoveWilly
04-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Bats woke up a bit on Thursday? We had two runs and 14 K's. :laugh:

I think the bottom line is, we aren't very good. We hoped top be good, and we hope we can still be good, but that was counting on a lot of factors. We keep waiting and waiting for Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce to live up to their top prospect in baseball billing, and they haven't come close to that yet. We keep waiting and waiting for Harang to rediscover his form that made him one of the better pitchers in baseball, and it hasn't happened. Really, thats the bottom line. We expect development in those three players in particular, and we aren't getting it.

Griffey012
04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Bats woke up a bit on Thursday? We had two runs and 14 K's. :laugh:

I think the bottom line is, we aren't very good. We hoped top be good, and we hope we can still be good, but that was counting on a lot of factors. We keep waiting and waiting for Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce to live up to their top prospect in baseball billing, and they haven't come close to that yet. We keep waiting and waiting for Harang to rediscover his form that made him one of the better pitchers in baseball, and it hasn't happened. Really, thats the bottom line. We expect development in those three players in particular, and we aren't getting it.

My mistake, not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I meant Monday and Tuesday, the first 2 games of the series.

Bruce is 5 for his last 16. He really has been hitting well at the plate. I know people get tired of hearing about him being unlucky, but I am not basing it of BABIP, but simply from watching him hit line drives and have a lot of hits taken away early. Hopefully Leake can take care of Harang or Bailey's expected production for a while.

jredmo2
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Reasonably, it's too early to declare the season a bust for any of the players. Just like how Rolen said he was suddenly having a good season after his 2-HR game, at this point the season numbers can be really violently swung by one game, and even moreso by one series. Look at it this way -- if the team smacks around the Pirates this weekend, all of those stats will probably look a lot better.

That being said, it's hard for anyone who has been watching the team not to get frustrated with certain players and certain trends, and I do think these concerns are legitimate. But it's not time to panic just yet.

Although -- how frustrating was it watching the Marlins young players play so well? Their top prospects always seem to turn into studs at a very good rate. Then they are traded away, and the new prospects start performing. Meanwhile, the Reds top prospects reach mediocrity and then stick around forever...

arkimadee
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM
When pitching is struggling, you have to put up 5 runs every night to get close. If Harang would have pitched a Gem last night and we won 2-1 we wouldn't be talking about the hitting. But this pitching has been BAD the last few days and its putting too much pressure on this offense!

Jack Burton
04-16-2010, 11:08 PM
As long as dusty is w/ this franchise it will continue to be a joke.

RedLakerFan24
04-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Dusty Baker.......-__-.....i want him gone already

JayBruceFan
04-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Dusty Baker.......-__-.....i want him gone already

So Dusty Baker blew it in the 9th?

And Dusty Baker is swinging at bad pitches and striking out?

And Dusty Baker is stranding base runners like it's going out of style?

No?

Didn't think so. Baker is not the problem, the players just aren't producing.

RedLakerFan24
04-16-2010, 11:32 PM

No?

No, but like in the 8th, with bases loaded he could have pinch hit Rolen for Janish, we had a rally going, also playing Cairo instead of Ramon Hernandez at first and batting Cairo 5th

JayBruceFan
04-16-2010, 11:37 PM
You can only do so much with what you have. Which isn't much right now outside of 2-3 guys

BLEEDS
04-17-2010, 12:13 AM
The problem is: OUR OFFENSE SUCKS!!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RedLakerFan24
04-17-2010, 12:25 AM
What Bats are Available? is there any chance of getting Carlos Quentin?

ukwazoo
04-17-2010, 01:18 AM

No?

Sincerely,
Dusty Baker

Cant Touch This
04-17-2010, 08:29 AM
During a 3-game losing streak, particularly one that includes the Pirates, it's easy to find people to blame. Obviously the players aren't producing and it seems too many haven't emerged from a season-starting slump. Watching Stubbs stare at a fastball that didn't have much movement and caught a lot of the plate for strike three in the 8th inning sort of set the tone for how that game was going to end.

No, Dusty is not at fault for that. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt behind that odd lineup he threw out there due to injury and illness. But I don't know how someone who was likely a borderline decision to even make the squad is inserted into the 5th slot.

Case in point: If you have to pinch hit for your 5th hitter (for reasons other than injury) then he shouldn't be your 5th hitter. Very puzzling.

Vottomatic
04-17-2010, 11:51 AM
During a 3-game losing streak, particularly one that includes the Pirates, it's easy to find people to blame. Obviously the players aren't producing and it seems too many haven't emerged from a season-starting slump. Watching Stubbs stare at a fastball that didn't have much movement and caught a lot of the plate for strike three in the 8th inning sort of set the tone for how that game was going to end.

No, Dusty is not at fault for that. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt behind that odd lineup he threw out there due to injury and illness. But I don't know how someone who was likely a borderline decision to even make the squad is inserted into the 5th slot.

Case in point: If you have to pinch hit for your 5th hitter (for reasons other than injury) then he shouldn't be your 5th hitter. Very puzzling.

Yeah, I didn't get batting Cairo 5th either.

The only thing good about a slow start is a possible managerial change.

I just don't see how management can put up with all these headscratcher moves.

Mitri
04-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Bring back chris chambliss!

aceace
04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't think you can truly evaluate a team after 11 games. If this were game 40, you could start looking for heads to roll. You could start with the manager, and the new guy could make his changes and see how it goes from there.

fewfirstchoice
04-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I think pretty bad right now. They have no offense. Their defense isnt good. The starting pitching and bull pen has been way under par. Im just very disappointed with this Reds team right now. I mean they just lost 2 games to the Pittsburg Pirates, the Pirates. If this team cant win games like this were there up 1 in the bottom of the 9th they might aswell look ahead to next year.

goreds2
04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
As I always SAY, wait till mid MAY. Can you really judge a team after 12 games? :confused:

1990REDS
04-17-2010, 10:18 PM
This team is a joke. Here's to next year, as usual.

scott91575
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM

No?

One of the reasons players swing at bad pitches is his approach to baseball. He is not a fan of walks. He thinks players need to be super aggressive at the plate. When strikeouts are a team wide epidemic, guess where you look? The coaching. The head coach is Dusty Baker. He is a cancer that effects the entire team.

malcontent
04-17-2010, 11:02 PM
But I don't know how someone who was likely a borderline decision to even make the squad is inserted into the 5th slot.

Agreed. Maybe Baker had a gut feeling Cairo would do something, but most of us would have slotted him no higher than 7th, and probably 8th.

kfm
04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
One of the reasons players swing at bad pitches is his approach to baseball. He is not a fan of walks. He thinks players need to be super aggressive at the plate. When strikeouts are a team wide epidemic, guess where you look? The coaching. The head coach is Dusty Baker. He is a cancer that effects the entire team.

So the reds just started striking out when Dusty got here. Look the guy is not in the same league as Tony Larussa, but this blame Dusty for everything that goes wrong and then don't give him credit for anything that goes right is just so old. When oh when are some of you going to start looking at the players and making them responsible for their performance. Jay Bruce has been a strikeout machine even when he was in the minors, Johnny Gomes, Chris Dickerson, Juan Francisco, Drew Stubbs. This team is full of guys who make a ton of outs and who have struck out a ton in the minors and the majors before Dusty was ever around. Stop making excuses for players failures and for once hold players responsible for their performance.

FlyerFanatic
04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
So the reds just started striking out when Dusty got here. Look the guy is not in the same league as Tony Larussa, but this blame Dusty for everything that goes wrong and then don't give him credit for anything that goes right is just so old. When oh when are some of you going to start looking at the players and making them responsible for their performance. Jay Bruce has been a strikeout machine even when he was in the minors, Johnny Gomes, Chris Dickerson, Juan Francisco, Drew Stubbs. This team is full of guys who make a ton of outs and who have struck out a ton in the minors and the majors before Dusty was ever around. Stop making excuses for players failures and for once hold players responsible for their performance.

who are you? dusty's relative? jeez

question, who is the one who is usually fired when a teams performance is terrible? do they get rid of all the players? or do they fire the coach? exactly. the dusty haters have legit complaints, could the players perform better? sure, but you look at the coach when the team isnt performing. thats sports for ya.

BlastFurnace
04-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Look...the Reds stink. They have for nearly 15 years. What did you expect? They have three legitimate bats in their entire lineup...if you include Rolen..and we wonder why they struggle offensively!

If they break .500 this season, I consider the season a success.

1990REDS
04-18-2010, 08:40 AM
This team is a joke. Here's to next year, as usual.

Ok ive had time to cool of since last night. I guess i shouldnt post right after watching them lose 4 in and row and 2 to the pirates. But on that note they really have looked awful the last couple games. We have to be able to win games in the 9th against inferior opponents. Offence looks horrible and sometimes i think dusty just draws names out of a hat to figure out the batting order. What does everyone think obout having phiilips bat 2nd gomes 4th and cabrerra leading off, or is this offence just becoming a lost cause and we should hope the pitching comes around to keep us competative. I think votto and possibly rolen are the only 2 guys in the lineup i feel confident in with RISP. Will they get any better or should i already start looking forward to football season.

NCRed
04-18-2010, 08:40 AM
welcome to last year !

:lastyear:

nothing will change until we have a legit TOR starter on this team and a legit BIG bat in the middle of the lineup. Had a chance with LF open, now nothing can be done until the offseason. Pinning your hopes on 3-4 pitchers under the age of 23 is dangerous - could be good but not consistently. Bruce is lost and Stubbs is a mirage.

so the bottom line is the players are not good enough right now and Dusty is a horrible manager for this type of team. We need to be sellers at the break trying to dump Harang or Arroyo along with Phillips, Gomes and OCab.

will5979
04-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Well I refuse to let this team take me down with them, I'm done already, have fun being depressed this year everybody...here's to football season,
Who-Dey. The draft starts Thursday night.

1990REDS
04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
I think at this point i would be happy with back to back games of our starters going at least 6 innings.

Vottomatic
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Well, it's only 12 games into the season. No need to panic.

BUT........

I shot my mouth off to my friends and family before the season, talking about how good the Reds would be this year. They said I say that every year. I'm like......no, really, they're about to put it all together and be pretty good. Right now, I look like an idiot. They are all marginal Reds fans, and the Reds aren't doing anything to retain those type of fans right now. They've all pretty much jumped ship at this point, saying they look like last year's team.

And I can't disagree with that at this point.

Starting pitching looks the same. Bullpen looks the same. The offense looks the same.

I guess I expected guys to grow up and their games to be improved. Hasn't happened.

Maybe this is as good as it gets with these guys?

will5979
04-18-2010, 10:08 AM
I shot my mouth off to my friends and family before the season, talking about how good the Reds would be this year. They said I say that every year. I'm like......no, really, they're about to put it all together and be pretty good. Right now, I look like an idiot. They are all marginal Reds fans, and the Reds aren't doing anything to retain those type of fans right now. They've all pretty much jumped ship at this point, saying they look like last year's team.

I did the same thing. To make matters worse come season end I'm going to owe 2 of my buddies that are Braves fans 20 bucks each cause I was actually dumb enough to believe that the Reds would put together a winning season and have more regular season victories than the Braves this year. Man do I feel like a jackass now.

Like I said, you guys can enjoy the heartache and depression this year, I'm done. I can't take it anymore. I've suffered with this team long enough. I probably won't even watch another game until I go to Cincy in July for a trip my buddies and I planned back in the winter. This sucks because I love baseball, and if I don't watch the Reds I don't watch baseball, I need a neutral team to follow so I can still enjoy watching the sport without any emotions.

FlyerFanatic
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Maybe this is as good as it gets with these guys?

this has crossed my mind as well. then someone usually brings up that they're still young, but even then. homer. cueto, bruce have been up awhile now, you gotta start wondering if its ever gonna click. i mean heck, bruce hasnt looked this bad at the plate his entire time up, i thought he was supposed to be adjusting to ML pitching?

kfm
04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
who are you? dusty's relative? jeez

question, who is the one who is usually fired when a teams performance is terrible? do they get rid of all the players? or do they fire the coach? exactly. the dusty haters have legit complaints, could the players perform better? sure, but you look at the coach when the team isnt performing. thats sports for ya.

No, I am not related to Dusty, and I have my own issues with him but I just happened to be more concerned about facts than most. Other than the first line of your post, I don't disagree with anything that you wrote. However, you did not address a single point that I raised in my post that you were, I presume, responding too.

Reds42MLB
04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I did the same thing. To make matters worse come season end I'm going to owe 2 of my buddies that are Braves fans 20 bucks each cause I was actually dumb enough to believe that the Reds would put together a winning season and have more regular season victories than the Braves this year. Man do I feel like a jackass now.

Like I said, you guys can enjoy the heartache and depression this year, I'm done. I can't take it anymore. I've suffered with this team long enough. I probably won't even watch another game until I go to Cincy in July for a trip my buddies and I planned back in the winter. This sucks because I love baseball, and if I don't watch the Reds I don't watch baseball, I need a neutral team to follow so I can still enjoy watching the sport without any emotions.

ZOMGBBQ 20 bucks!!! :eek: Chill the hell out dude. I'm a Reds fan and if you were stupid enough to make that bet sober you deserve to lose it. Especially straight up. At least get odds jesus. For real though you need to relax and step back from the ledge. 12 games into the season and posts like this are scary.

FlyerFanatic
04-18-2010, 02:29 PM
No, I am not related to Dusty, and I have my own issues with him but I just happened to be more concerned about facts than most. Other than the first line of your post, I don't disagree with anything that you wrote. However, you did not address a single point that I raised in my post that you were, I presume, responding too.

what points did you make in your post? you essentially told people to stop complaining about dusty and blame the players for their terrible play. as i stated in my post, the players could be playing better, and that means every single one of them. doesnt change my opinion that baker should be let go, looks like year 3 with baker is more of the same, losing.

CentralKYRedfan
04-18-2010, 02:45 PM
He was saying Saturday morning that this team is just like the 10 before it...Will flirt with .500 before ending up 5-10 game below. I see that same crap I've been watching for a decade. No hitting, striking out at a Little League rate, mediocre pitching (at best) and absolutely no life. The manager is a joke and this team is hopeless. Yes, I can say that after 12 games.

GIDP
04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Ken Broo wishes he knew about anything other than what someone tells him. He basically never has a unique thought in his mind.

CentralKYRedfan
04-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Ken Broo wishes he knew about anything other than what someone tells him. He basically never has a unique thought in his mind.

What that has to do with this team being terrible (again), I have no idea.

GIDP
04-18-2010, 02:51 PM
What that has to do with this team being terrible (again), I have no idea.

Because saying Ken Broo is right is the same as you reading me a book and saying you wrote it.

1990REDS
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Because saying Ken Broo is right is the same as you reading me a book and saying you wrote it.

i dont think hes sayin that he likes the guy or that his word is gold, hes just agreeing that the reds are terrible, and getting swept by the pirates really supports that thought.

ILoveWilly
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
No idea who that guy is, but that's not exactly an original thought.

kfm
04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
what points did you make in your post? you essentially told people to stop complaining about dusty and blame the players for their terrible play. as i stated in my post, the players could be playing better, and that means every single one of them. doesnt change my opinion that baker should be let go, looks like year 3 with baker is more of the same, losing.

I actually was responding to the specifc point that the players strike out because of Dusty. I named several player who have struggled with striking out long before they played for Dusty. That was the point to my post. Now as for your current post, your bottom line seems to be that this team has lost with Dusty and it looks like after 13 games they are going to be losers this year. I guess my response to that would be, does this mean that you believe other managers, please name them, would have had winning seasons with the teams Dusty had in his first two years. Like I said in my post, I have issues with Dusty as well and there are better managers out there and if he has to be the thing that gets changed in order to give this team a shot in the arm, I would totally understand that. But I think people are fooling themselves if they think the reason this team has lost the last two years is because of Dusty. In baseball more than any other sport, it is about the players.

redsfanmia
04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
The problem is in the organization, poor coaching and a poor philosophy. There used to be a "Reds" way to play and they have gotten away from it.

ILoveWilly
04-18-2010, 04:00 PM
The problem is in the organization, poor coaching and a poor philosophy. There used to be a "Reds" way to play and they have gotten away from it.

I like the focus on defense and pitching, but we need to face the fact that our players aren't as good as they've been hyped to be. How many players on our team right now can we say without a doubt are playing to their true potential? That's what kills me about all this. We need a new manager, someone to wake this team up.

Reds42MLB
04-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Yawn

winks
04-18-2010, 04:23 PM
2nd that Reds42Mlb. its going to be a long season.

swaisuc
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
The problem is: OUR OFFENSE SUCKS!!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

This part shouldn't be a surprise. Why everyone was convinced that without any significant improvements we would go from scoring a pathetic 673 runs last year (despite our ballpark) to a number that would allow us to challenge for the playoffs baffles me.

Our very similar lineup is producing at a very similar clip as last year and getting very similar results in the win column. Not much to overthink here.

bgwilly31
04-19-2010, 12:55 PM
This part shouldn't be a surprise. Why everyone was convinced that without any significant improvements we would go from scoring a pathetic 673 runs last year (despite our ballpark) to a number that would allow us to challenge for the playoffs baffles me.

Our very similar lineup is producing at a very similar clip as last year and getting very similar results in the win column. Not much to overthink here.

Ive said that from the get-go.

In spring training when all the talk was playoffs and a winning record. I wanted to be excited but didnt see much of a difference.

mlh1981
04-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Leadoff hitters combining to go 0-10 is a HUGE problem.

FlyerFanatic
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Leadoff hitters combining to go 0-10 is a HUGE problem.

no way, they'd just clog the bases, dude ;)

Jr's Boy
04-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Throwing 30 million bones to a young stud pitching prospect,while depending on a green horn outfield instead of signing a couple proven hitters,a question mark starting pitching staff.Chapman will be a stud for the Reds,however I would like to see some serious hitting talent now,and in the future.Right now Stubbs looks like he don't belong here,Votto looks lost,Bruce is finally showing a pulse,I could go on and on.
I knew this team did not have the talent to contend,at least not right now.I hope I end up eating my words,but with these same slugs night after night,and the BP getting taxed almost every night it seem's,come July the Pen will have jelly arms.Would be nice for a change if the Reds young talent could shine like the Rays or Pirates.

Griffey012
04-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I think most of you are forgetting the 30 million is spread over I believe 10 years. That is pretty much less money a year than we typically waste on washed up veterans. 3 mil a year on average of Chapman, this we we are giving Lincoln+Miles more than that.

The contract we gave to Chapman was the least of our problems, but a step to get some of our problems fixed. Like potentially giving us a legit ACE.

Kingspoint
04-20-2010, 01:21 AM
There is no problem.

We're not 2-12 like Baltimore.

It's only April 19th.

bounty37h
04-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Do what I do, find a minor league team near you and pull for them as well. The last 10 years or so it has hepled to have baseball to watch and enjoy past April when the Reds are toast.

sivman17
04-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Do what I do, find a minor league team near you and pull for them as well. The last 10 years or so it has hepled to have baseball to watch and enjoy past April when the Reds are toast.

Unfortunately for me the two closest teams are the Indians and the Pirates. Even if either of those two teams were any good I could still never pull for them.

flash
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Part of the problem is that the Reds don't seem to be thinking about many of their decisions.

Take Franscisco. Why did the Reds send him down? he was Rolen's back-up plus he could play some outfield. Yet Cairo and Nix are still on the roster with rolen out five days. Doesn't make sense. And you have Cairo playing first instead of Hernandez. Does anyone think that either Cairo of Nix is a bigger offensive threat than Fransisco. I know only a crazy person would think that Janish is, yet that is who is playing third now.

The coaching is non-existenent. Phillips is up there swinging for the fences in the 4 slot when he more suited to the 3rd slot where he can utilize his speed some. Stubbs also thinks he is a psuedo home run hitter when he should be concentrating on getting on base and working a count. Bruce is completely lost hitting only when a game has been decided. Yeah, he hit two home runs, big deal. I believe one was when the Reds were five runs down so the pitcher decided to challenge him.

Forget Sweet, Get Smokey Garrett up here pronto and get these batters straighten out.