PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed

Chip R
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
My mother is having problems with her Outlook e-mail. I told her all the cool kids use Google or Yahoo or MSN or some other online service but she wants to use Outlook. Anyway, her problem seems to be that when she sends out an e-mail through Outlook, it sends out multiple copies of that e-mail to the person(s) she's sending it to. She said a few got 10 copies of the same e-mail. She sent a couple to me last night and so far have only received two of each one. Any suggestions?

TRF
04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Outlook will allow her to send via gmail or yahoo.

I'm thinking she's double clicking the send button. I teach older people how to do basic computer tasks and that is the big one. Sometimes they click 4-5 times, but double clicking is the most common.

westofyou
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Thunderbird is the opensource outlook, I'd suggest that as a quick fix and outlook solution.

BUT.... if she wants to see if it's outlook or her mail server I'd set her account up on Yahoo and send a message to a user and then do the same from outlook. Until you determine whether it's her server or software you could be fighting windmills.

TRF
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
woy is wise.

Spring~Fields
04-20-2010, 12:00 AM
That's one that I have never ran across. Don't know the answer.

Wouldn't that have to be in her Outlook settings somewhere?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Outlook+send+multiple+email+copies+help&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

Roy Tucker
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Googling "outlook sends multiple copy email" generates a whole lot of hits.

This one seems most plausible. http://community.contractwebdevelopment.com/multiple-copies-email-outlook

Chip R
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I spoke with my mother on the phone today and even though she has had some viruses scanned and whatnot, she's been told she needs a new tower since they feel she is throwing good money after bad. I would think she just needs a new hard drive or am I wrong?

TRF
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
What are the complete specs? processor, memory etc.

Chip R
05-03-2010, 10:27 AM
What are the complete specs? processor, memory etc.

It doesn't really matter now. I spoke with her last night and she was advised to get a new computer. She keeps getting viruses and stuff so it's better to get something new than to throw good money after bad.

Outlook will allow her to send via gmail or yahoo.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying that she can access the e-mail she gets through her ISP through Gmail or Yahoo? It seems the problems she's been haveing have been because of Outlook. I think she'd like to keep her ISP but send and receive her e-mail through a different program.

TRF
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
The reason I suggest gmail, and using outlook is her e-mail addy has been targeted. She should start fresh. But it will feel familiar to her.

I'd also suggest something more than just the windows firewall (it's crap) get something like ZoneAlarm. That'll block a lot of intruders. Also make sure she has AVG's anti virus and anti spyware. AVG bought an antispyware product called eWidow a few years ago, and IMO it was one of the best. also a good idea to have spybot as a second antispyware. Have her PURCHASE AVG. Normally I usually recommend the free version, but if she buys it, it gives her the ability to schedule scans. (I think that is the pay version only, I might be wrong on that.) Also get CCleaner or Glary Utilities. Have her run it once a month.

just my two cents.

dougdirt
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
The reason I suggest gmail, and using outlook is her e-mail addy has been targeted. She should start fresh. But it will feel familiar to her.

I'd also suggest something more than just the windows firewall (it's crap) get something like ZoneAlarm. That'll block a lot of intruders. Also make sure she has AVG's anti virus and anti spyware. AVG bought an antispyware product called eWidow a few years ago, and IMO it was one of the best. also a good idea to have spybot as a second antispyware. Have her PURCHASE AVG. Normally I usually recommend the free version, but if she buys it, it gives her the ability to schedule scans. (I think that is the pay version only, I might be wrong on that.) Also get CCleaner or Glary Utilities. Have her run it once a month.

just my two cents.

I know you said buy AVG, but its not clear which one. I can schedule scans for AVG Anti Virus Free, but don't use their anti-spyware, so I don't know if that is the one you were talking to or not. So perhaps let the OP know which one to purchase.

TRF
05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought you could at one point schedule scans for both. I'm using a laptop my college provides which runs symantec, so I haven't used AVG in a while. But if both the anti virus and antispyware still have free versions, AND those versions have a scheduler, then don't pay, just make sure they are installed and kept current.

06-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I have a Dell laptop that is 5 or 6 years old or so. Yesterday I turned it on and the screen was really bright, so i rebooted it. When it came back oin again it is streaky and has no image, but does light up. It has a bright spot in the upper left hand corner. When I plugged a external monitor into it, the external monitor functions properly. Any ideas, and is it worth fixing? Here is a pic, hope it helps. Thanks!

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2010, 08:00 AM
My laptop (ACER) just took a complete dump on me yesterday. Was online and poof just shut off, couldn't get it back on. It was plugged in so it couldn't have been the power supply. It had shut off about a half hour earlier out of the blue as well but came right back on when I pushed the power button. No other real signs of problems that I can recall. Anyone got any ideas on what it might be?