PDA

View Full Version : Volquez to be suspended 50 games for PED use

DaytonFlyer
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
According to a tweet from Jon Heyman at SI just 5 minutes ago.

:thumbdown

jredmo2
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Look at the bright side:

1) PEDs help you recover from injury

2) 50 game suspension means Volquez won't at all be rushed back from TJ surgery

3) This season was a wash for him anyway

GIDP
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Well we dont have to worry about him rushing back now.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Why suspend a guy whos already on the DL. Not like it really matters for him. Of course I know they have to but still the Reds could take him off the DL, let the 50 games happen and put him right back on the DL im sure.

jfleur87
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Seriously, the first thing I thought about was, well, he can't rush back and should be at absolute full strength for the start of next year. The way the season is going and looks to be headed, what did we really need him for anyway

GIDP
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I suspect this is him being an idiot and taking some illegal stuff in the dominican and not realizing what he was doing. I hope he wasnt on them when he was pitching well.

jredmo2
04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I suspect this is him being an idiot and taking some illegal stuff in the dominican and not realizing what he was doing. I hope he wasnt on them when he was pitching well.

I'm guessing he took them to recover from TJ; he tested positive in ST

texasdave
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
If he has some leftover PEDs he needs to distribute them to the rest of the staff.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm guessing he took them to recover from TJ; he tested positive in ST

Yea im guessing he did also. Things in the dominican arent looked like it here. I bet tons of guys from the dominican do shady things just because of how easy it is there.

mroby85
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
When does this suspension begin? whenever the Reds activate him and say he's ready to pitch, or does it start now?

texasdave
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
It doesn't make much sense to suspend someone who is on the DL. That wouldn't be much of a penalty to pay. But since when did things have to make sense??

GIDP
04-20-2010, 03:28 PM
When does this suspension begin? whenever the Reds activate him and say he's ready to pitch, or does it start now?

Suspension starts tomorrow.

CRedsLarkin11
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
According to the fantasy updates on cbssports.com, he can serve the suspension on the DL and this won't impact anything as far as his return...

"Volquez was a potential second-half contributor in Fantasy and this news likely won't keep him from reaching his late July or early August return date, since he can serve the suspension while on the DL. He was reportedly ahead of schedule and could return shortly after the All-Star break. He remains a must-stash in deeper leagues with DL spots still. He could be a dominant Fantasy arm during crunch time down the stretch." - Cbssports.com

mroby85
04-20-2010, 03:34 PM
It doesn't make much sense to suspend someone who is on the DL. That wouldn't be much of a penalty to pay. But since when did things have to make sense??

It doesn't make sense, but I won't complain, lol.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 03:46 PM

They really cant do anything about it. The Reds could take him off the DL and just let him sit there. Would the MLB really go through the hassle of trying to prove that a guy couldnt come off the DL? Good luck fighting that with the players association.

DaytonFlyer
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
The penalty to the player is loss of salary.

The penalty to the team is supposedly loss of use of the player. But in this case, the Reds kinda win-win here, as they will still get the benefit of Volquez using the PEDs, because he wasn't due back in 50 games anyway, but will not have to pay him during the suspension. Assuming that Volquez keeps up his training during the 50 games he is "suspended".

Knightro28
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
The penalty to the player is loss of salary.

The penalty to the team is supposedly loss of use of the player. But in this case, the Reds kinda win-win here, as they will still get the benefit of Volquez using the PEDs, because he wasn't due back in 50 games anyway, but will not have to pay him during the suspension. Assuming that Volquez keeps up his training during the 50 games he is "suspended".

You hit the nail on the head. All Volquez loses $$$, Reds aren't affected timeline-wise with his return.

bgwilly31
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Just another reason why i wish we would have been able to enjoy JOSH HAMILTON over the past 2-3 yrs. And currently.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Just another reason why i wish we would have been able to enjoy JOSH HAMILTON over the past 2-3 yrs. And currently.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9248/joshhamiltonisntexactly.jpg

You were saying?

nemesis
04-20-2010, 04:19 PM
It has to be HGH. Most of your Steroids injection based or oral will not help someone recover from any type pf ligament damage. As a matter of fact most Steroid based injuries occur because the muscle will grow so rapidly and your strength increases so quickly that you end up injuring ligaments that are still at prejuiced strength. I tore my rotator cuff this way.. Where HGH helps burn fat, tighten skin, increase your muscle atrophy recovery, and strengthen ligaments.

Can't say I blame the kid. But it explains why he was recovering ahead of schedule. Now with him coming off he still will reap the benefits for about 2 to 4 more weeks before his body starts to return to normal levels. That being said, he should slow down his time table st and not push himself to be back until Sept when the Rosters expand to insure no more injuries.

bounty37h
04-20-2010, 04:23 PM

GIDP
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
There was reports that it wasnt a steroid or HGH

bounty37h
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
There was reports that it wasnt a steroid or HGH

Whats left as far as PED's? I dont really care what it was, it was stupid of him.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Whats left as far as PED's? I dont really care what it was, it was stupid of him.

there are a lot of drugs on PED list.

bounty37h
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Are the rest more speed/rec types if not steroid or hgh-an honest question, I dont know.

ILoveWilly
04-20-2010, 04:51 PM
He had a perfectly reasonable explanation from what I've read, but all I've seen in posts on this board are people just railing into him like he's McGuire or something. The poor guy's boys can't swim and he wants to have a kid, and that's all there is to it basically.

mroby85
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Mark McGwire had a perfectly good reason too, he wasn't hitting home runs at record breaking rates, and he wanted to leave his mark on baseball history. Obviously thats what Volquez is going to say, thats what Manny said as well, but I didn't see people sticking up for him because they didn't like him. I still like Volquez, and it doesn't matter to me, i'm just saying its no better for him to do it than anyone else if it wasn't prescribed.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Are the rest more speed/rec types if not steroid or hgh-an honest question, I dont know.

yea drugs that can be considered masking agents, certain types of other drugs that might be abused when not actually rehabbing. Some inhalers. All types of things are on it.

DJ B.K.
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I heard on ESPN he was blaming the positive test on something he was taking for family planning but wasn't going to appeal.

TStuck
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Has anybody actually read Volquez's statement? From the comments on here, I assume not. The statement says the drug (whatever it was) was prescribed meds he took while back in D.R. that were given for the purpose of assisting he and his wife to start a family. He even alluded to this being due to some common physical issue which interferes with such efforts.
So can all you executioners please take down your nooses??? Seems like an extremely plausible and justifiable explanation to me. Guilty for taking a PED? Yes. Was it some nefarious plan to get ahead? Doesn't sound like it. Give the guy a break.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Has anybody actually read Volquez's statement? From the comments on here, I assume not. The statement says the drug (whatever it was) was prescribed meds he took while back in D.R. that were given for the purpose of assisting he and his wife to start a family. He even alluded to this being due to some common physical issue which interferes with such efforts.
So can all you executioners please take down your nooses??? Seems like an extremely plausible and justifiable explanation to me. Guilty for taking a PED? Yes. Was it some nefarious plan to get ahead? Doesn't sound like it. Give the guy a break.

I think its a possible story but hes either a liar or an extremely stupid person. I'm talking beyond stupid that he doesnt understand that there is a major league drug testing policy and doesnt check to see if drugs he is on is on the banned list. So pick your poison? Is he this mentally challenged or is it possible that hes just using a common problem to cover up what he was trying to do?

Griffey012
04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I think its a possible story but hes either a liar or an extremely stupid person. I'm talking beyond stupid that he doesnt understand that there is a major league drug testing policy and doesnt check to see if drugs he is on is on the banned list. So pick your poison? Is he this mentally challenged or is it possible that hes just using a common problem to cover up what he was trying to do?

Man, what did this guy ever do to you. Being on my team I would like to believe him that what he was taking was to treat an issue and help him have a child. And if it were the case, the major league drug testing list was probably not the #1 thing on his mind if him and his wife are trying to have a child. There are bigger things in life than baseball, and could it be the thought never crossed his mind that it would be seen as a PED. I am sure it boosts testosterone in some fashion which it is why it is on the list, but if you are getting it prescribed to treat that sort of condition you might just not even think it would be considered a performance enhancer. Sure it was a bit careless, but no reason to classify him as "extremely stupid" and "beyond stupid."

And if it is the case he was lying, oh well he saves the Reds some cash and probably speeds up his recovery, might help was win another game or two.

GIDP
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Man, what did this guy ever do to you. Being on my team I would like to believe him that what he was taking was to treat an issue and help him have a child. And if it were the case, the major league drug testing list was probably not the #1 thing on his mind if him and his wife are trying to have a child. There are bigger things in life than baseball, and could it be the thought never crossed his mind that it would be seen as a PED. I am sure it boosts testosterone in some fashion which it is why it is on the list, but if you are getting it prescribed to treat that sort of condition you might just not even think it would be considered a performance enhancer. Sure it was a bit careless, but no reason to classify him as "extremely stupid" and "beyond stupid."

And if it is the case he was lying, oh well he saves the Reds some cash and probably speeds up his recovery, might help was win another game or two.
So having trying to have a kid made him forget that he plays baseball for a living? If he cared so much about having a baby then maybe he should have checked the list so he wouldnt be losing 120k in salary that could be used to raise his child that hes trying to have. So yes he's either making a plausible excuse up or he is stupid.

Kingspoint
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Very strange.

It's no big deal, except that if he gets caught again, isn't it something like a year suspension? Or, is it less?

Griffey012
04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
So having trying to have a kid made him forget that he plays baseball for a living? If he cared so much about having a baby then maybe he should have checked the list so he wouldnt be losing 120k in salary that could be used to raise his child that hes trying to have. So yes he's either making a plausible excuse up or he is stupid.

That other 300K probably won't be enough. He must be modeling his family life after Latrell "I got my family to feed" Sprewell.

Griffey012
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Very strange.

It's no big deal, except that if he gets caught again, isn't it something like a year suspension? Or, is it less?

:thumbup:, 100 games I believe. Then a lifetime ban.

Jack Burton
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Unacceptable.

kfm
04-20-2010, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=nemesis;2060468]It has to be HGH. Most of your Steroids injection based or oral will not help someone recover from any type pf ligament damage. As a matter of fact most Steroid based injuries occur because the muscle will grow so rapidly and your strength increases so quickly that you end up injuring ligaments that are still at prejuiced strength. I tore my rotator cuff this way.. Where HGH helps burn fat, tighten skin, increase your muscle atrophy recovery, and strengthen ligaments.

Can't say I blame the kid. But it explains why he was recovering ahead of schedule. Now with him coming off he still will reap the benefits for about 2 to 4 more weeks before his body starts to return to normal levels. That being said, he should slow down his time table st and not push himself to be back until Sept when the Rosters expand to insure no more injuries.[/QUOTE

Major league baseball does not test players for HGH, so it has to be a steriod. If he wanted to cheat, HGH makes the most sense to take since there is no test for it in MLB. However, if he wanted to pretty much ensure that he got caught, a steroid would be the way to go.

texasdave
04-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Exactly.

Griffey012
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Major league baseball does not test players for HGH, so it has to be a steriod. If he wanted to cheat, HGH makes the most sense to take since there is no test for it in MLB. However, if he wanted to pretty much ensure that he got caught, a steroid would be the way to go.

There are way more PED's than just steroids and HGH. Ranging from Stimulants (like greenies, pep pills, whatever you wanna call them) to anabolic steroids to muscle relaxers. The press release has already stated he did not test positive for steroids, but another PED.

kfm
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
There are way more PED's than just steroids and HGH. Ranging from Stimulants (like greenies, pep pills, whatever you wanna call them) to anabolic steroids to muscle relaxers. The press release has already stated he did not test positive for steroids, but another PED.

Yes, you are correct. My point was just that it was not HGH. If he was trying to gain some type of advanatage and not get detected this would be the way to go.

Rockermann
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
He screwed up, plain as that. As a MLB player, he has to KNOW at all times what he's putting into his body. But, I believe his explanation and don't think it was intentional. I'm going to give him a second chance. After that... all bets are off.

bounty37h
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
He had a perfectly reasonable explanation from what I've read, but all I've seen in posts on this board are people just railing into him like he's McGuire or something. The poor guy's boys can't swim and he wants to have a kid, and that's all there is to it basically.

No, he has no excuse, a "perfectly reasonable" excuse wouldnt warrant a 50 game suspension, if that was the case he would have seen a legit dr who would have handled it the right way. Take off the red glasses, if this came out about Pujols or ANYONE on another team we would be all over him, calling him cheater, etc. There is NO excuse for any pro ball player to get busted at this point after al lthe questionable excuses hav ebeen tossed around so long now. Check with a legit dr and alert the team first. Dont take chances on anything.

bounty37h
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM

There arent bigger things when your making mega-millions playing a game ,you check to make sure you arent going to screw up your lifeline, esp if your planning a family. Not buying it, I thin kyour first line explained your thinking, "being on my team I would like ot beleieve him". If he wasnt on "your team" you would likely not be saying the same. Would be interesting to look back at our Pujols thread here and see how many are defending Vol but threw the witchunt there if they are not on "my team". He is on my team, thats why it bothers me.

Jack Burton
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
There arent bigger things when your making mega-millions playing a game ,you check to make sure you arent going to screw up your lifeline, esp if your planning a family. Not buying it, I thin kyour first line explained your thinking, "being on my team I would like ot beleieve him". If he wasnt on "your team" you would likely not be saying the same. Would be interesting to look back at our Pujols thread here and see how many are defending Vol but threw the witchunt there if they are not on "my team". He is on my team, thats why it bothers me.
We actually agree on something. Definitely unacceptable behavior and I'm not buying the excuse.

Griffey012
04-22-2010, 01:13 PM

My response was driven from the level of the reactions. Based off the reactions of things like "completely unnacceptable" "beyond stupid" "mentally challenged" and people saying he must not care about his family, you would think Volquez did something similar to killing a person while driving drunk. He messed up, didn't hurt anybody, didn't fight it, accepted the responsibility and is moving on...what else is he supposed to do.

foxfire123
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I *want* to believe him, I really do. Is it because he's a Red? Probably.

But I don't. This was just too stupid for words IMO. Even if the excuse is for real, why oh WHY, knowing that you have to teedle in a cup on a regular basis, do you NOT check with your team trainer and/or team docs about ANY meds you get put on, for any freakin' reason?

Volquez, this was a dumb move. And why? so you could come back 2 months earlier? Makes you was to Gibbs smack him upside the back of the head.

kfm
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Isn't there a way we can blame the coaches for this?:)