PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Reds Home Attendance

Mutaman
04-22-2010, 10:37 PM
13,000 for a game against the Dodgers? That's embarrassing.

redsfan_12
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
agreed.

FlyerFanatic
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
thats what happens when you have 9 straight losing seasons...factor in a tough economic time.

Mutaman
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
thats what happens when you have 9 straight losing seasons...factor in a tough economic time.

Times are just as tough in Milwaukee and the Brewers aren't exactly the Yankees in terms of performance, but they consistently put 35,000 people in their park.

Mutaman
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Just realized tonight's crowd was the largest of the series. Ouch!

lidspinner
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I have hit on this in the past.....fans will say when we start playing winning baseball then I will start going to more games.....bottom line is this, if we dont start going to the park, we are never going to get that extra bat....Reds fans are some of the worse in the NL when it comes to putting butts in the seats.....we need to follow more of the Brewers lead, not sure how they do it but we need to hit 20k every night regardless of who we are playing...if we do that day in and day out, the FO will have no issue adding a big bat or big Pitcher to the roster......but we have to add salary before we are going to be consistent playoff contenders. and to add salary, we need to add fans in the seats.

Rockermann
04-23-2010, 08:59 AM
...fans will say when we start playing winning baseball then I will start going to more games...

Exactly. It's the old 'chicken and the egg' syndrome.

I'm a displaced Reds fan living in Milwaukee. It is amazing what goes on at Miller Park each home game. Large crowds and unbelievable energy and participation. The Brewers are no better than the Reds, but for whatever reason, the fan base here has never given up on them.

Griffey012
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I have hit on this in the past.....fans will say when we start playing winning baseball then I will start going to more games.....bottom line is this, if we dont start going to the park, we are never going to get that extra bat....Reds fans are some of the worse in the NL when it comes to putting butts in the seats.....we need to follow more of the Brewers lead, not sure how they do it but we need to hit 20k every night regardless of who we are playing...if we do that day in and day out, the FO will have no issue adding a big bat or big Pitcher to the roster......but we have to add salary before we are going to be consistent playoff contenders. and to add salary, we need to add fans in the seats.

The Brewers do it cause they have made a couple of legit playoffs runs recently. All we need is one playoff appearance and the city of cincinnati will go baseball crazy again.

ian_madden
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
The Brewers do it cause they have made a couple of legit playoffs runs recently. All we need is one playoff appearance and the city of cincinnati will go baseball crazy again.

agreed. My girlfriend and I bought $5 tickets and sat down 3rd base line. She got her picture of Manny and I got to watch my Reds win. I love the $5 tickets and will buy them every time. But i want to be forced to sit in the seats I paid for because the stadium is full. It was fun because we kept score and the reds won, but fan participation, not much there. It was a dead game. We need people in the seat to bring electric to the ballpark.

bgwilly31
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Agreed

I have hit on this in the past.....fans will say when we start playing winning baseball then I will start going to more games.....bottom line is this, if we dont start going to the park, we are never going to get that extra bat....Reds fans are some of the worse in the NL when it comes to putting butts in the seats.....we need to follow more of the Brewers lead, not sure how they do it but we need to hit 20k every night regardless of who we are playing...if we do that day in and day out, the FO will have no issue adding a big bat or big Pitcher to the roster.

You've got your thinking all backwards.

You think the owner of the reds cant afford to add an extra bat or big pitcher.

Its just like any business. You have to invest more to make more. It doesnt work backwards.

PhillipsHead
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
It's a matter of allure and how much there is to do in the city. In Milwaukee, you know they've got nothing better to do up there, and it's a nice, relatively new ballpark. Similarly, I live in San Diego and go to a bunch of Padre games -- and the reason the Pads get a decent crowd, even on down years is because of the allure of the ballpark. San Diego has fairweather fans, most of which don't pay attention to the game, but the fact that they play in a new ballpark, in the heart of downtown, surrounded by bars and other fun stuff brings fans to the game.

I've also been to Great American Ballpark, and I liked it a lot. But it doesn't have the festive, 'night on the town' type feel that San Diego or other ballparks have.

The sad truth is that the only thing that will put Reds fans in the seats is a winning ballclub. Until we as fans see significant improvement or potential, it will still be like 11,000 every night. As much as I'd love to go to a bunch of Reds game, I live in San Diego, so all of you guys who are slacking....GET ON IT!!!! GO REDLEGS!!!!

arkimadee
05-17-2010, 11:14 PM

Are you kidding me? I figured atleast the bandwagon fans would show up tonight!

GIDP
05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
The weather probably had a lot to do with it.

NeilHamburger
05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Yep, and weather is supposed to terrible again tomorrow. Mother nature really isn't cooperating with the Reds so far this year. I'm really sick of rainy, damp, cold weather.

arkimadee
05-17-2010, 11:20 PM
The weather probably had a lot to do with it.
Yea, but still a crappy number. I was hoping for atleast 14,000. Maybe for the day game tomorrow we will draw better.

Cant Touch This
05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Yea, but still a crappy number. I was hoping for atleast 14,000. Maybe for the day game tomorrow we will draw better.

Those extra 1,591 fans would have really brought the house down. :)

sabometrics
05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Even with 12k it was still a fun atmosphere at times. When they had the bases loaded and Hernandez up that place was pretty pumped (for just 12,000).

I Really didn't expect anything above 16 or 17 thousand. BUT I thought with all the attention they got over the weekend and today in the press, along with the forecasters saying the rain wouldn't start again till midnight that the number would be around 15,000. It's a shame a bunch of people let a wet morning keep them from watching a great ballgame, but that's just how things go around these parts.

sivman17
05-18-2010, 12:06 AM
I agree the weather kept some fans away but there is no excuse to only have 12,000 fans there. That's pathetic and embarrassing if you ask me. I just don't understand why people won't go to games.

ian_madden
05-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Raise your hand if you went to tonight's game. raise your hand if you have been to more than 1 game this year. raise your hand if you have been to every home stand. Not to many of us can do that. I work at night, I couldn't make it tonight. I will go tomorrow afternoon before I go to work tomorrow night.

BUT we need to get as many people in the stands as possible.

We need to keep this fire going.

sabometrics
05-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Raise your hand if you went to tonight's game. raise your hand if you have been to more than 1 game this year. raise your hand if you have been to every home stand. Not to many of us can do that. I work at night, I couldn't make it tonight. I will go tomorrow afternoon before I go to work tomorrow night.

BUT we need to get as many people in the stands as possible.

We need to keep this fire going.

I've been to all but 2 home games this season ... but then again I'm there to work (as well as watch the games when I'm not hawking an aisle), so it's not quite the same I guess. I'm still hollering, clapping, and cheering when I get an opportunity though!

Kingspoint
05-18-2010, 01:55 AM

Are you kidding me? I figured atleast the bandwagon fans would show up tonight!

Was that a "turnstile" number or "tickets sold" number?

I would think that on a rainy Monday Night that 20-25% of season ticket holders wouldn't show up and couldn't give their tickets away in time to anyone to use.

Kingspoint
05-18-2010, 01:58 AM
I've been to all but 2 home games this season ... but then again I'm there to work (as well as watch the games when I'm not hawking an aisle), so it's not quite the same I guess. I'm still hollering, clapping, and cheering when I get an opportunity though!

Since you would have a greater idea than even the season ticket holder on what the "real" attendance was (vendors are always staffing and planning quantity amounts based on estimated and actual turnstile attendance every event), what do you think the actual number was Monday Night?

arkimadee
05-18-2010, 02:08 AM
I guess I shouldn't complain because it's up to the person how they want to spend money. Bottom line is that the reds have given us crap over the last 10 years for the most part to watch. The low attendance reflects that and not what the team is doing this year. The only answer to the problem is to keep winning. If we build a foundation this year for attendance then these mid May Monday games next year will draw better.. I live about 3 hours away so I try to go as much as possible. If I lived in Cincy I would try to go all the time. I feel a true buzz about this team and have a feeling it will reflect in attendance sooner than later.

GO Redlegs!!!

arkimadee
05-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Those extra 1,591 fans would have really brought the house down. :)
haha, not from the standpoint of louder fans, just from the standpoint of looking better on paper. It's not a good reflection when one of our lowest attended games is when we are in 1st place. Then again who cares! The reds are in first! I'll enjoy it no matter how many people show up

The Operator
05-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I just don't understand why people won't go to games.

Because most people have seen this before. The Reds, despite the overall gravity of the last 9 years of suckitude - have had some hot starts (I can remember The Reds having the best record in the NL as late as June in 2004) on occasion and have wilted each time. Not to mention the epic West Coast Meltdown that all but kept them out of the playoffs in '06.

Most fans are probably expecting a little bit more than a recent hot streak before they're convinced this incarnation is any different than the last 9.

Not saying it's right, but that's how it is.

sabometrics
05-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Since you would have a greater idea than even the season ticket holder on what the "real" attendance was (vendors are always staffing and planning quantity amounts based on estimated and actual turnstile attendance every event), what do you think the actual number was Monday Night?

I didn't ask management for any estimates before the game started today as it was sort of a "I already know it's gonna be about as bad as it gets, so I'm not gonna bother to ask" situation, so you'll have to take my guesstimate with a grain of salt. But just from being there I would venture to guess there were 9.5 to 10k actually attending the game.

GIDP
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
So I take it you are a one of the food guys, how much do you actually walk up and down an aisle a night? I've always wondered if its non stop 3 hours or what is going on. Has to be brutal work out.

sabometrics
05-18-2010, 05:30 AM
So I take it you are a one of the food guys, how much do you actually walk up and down an aisle a night? I've always wondered if its non stop 3 hours or what is going on. Has to be brutal work out.

I vend beer every day, though I may take out pop/water/peanuts/cracker jacks as well depending on the day/demographic of the crowd I see coming in as I walk past the gates.

As far as how much time I spend in the aisles as opposed to catching some of the game it depends. Weekends there are way more beer guys/gals and as it's strictly 1 beer vendor per aisle you'll see that there a lot of us waiting at the top of the aisle on the concourse watching the game and waiting to take our turn. Weekdays you can pretty much move around and work as hard as you want as many vendors are working another job and there are more open aisles for us to work as a result.

You make your own schedule, and you work as hard as you want to work. On a day like last Saturday I'll be busy selling, won't see hardly any of the game, and will definitely be a little sore when I get home. On a day like yesterday (being stuck in the nosebleeds with an extremely sparse crowd - many of them under age) I'll just stop selling and watch a half inning here and there, hitting a few aisles in between, and even while selling it never gets too busy that I'll miss any of the action.

Some days it's exhausting, other days I don't break a sweat. Either way I'm at the ballpark watching my team and getting paid while doing it :D

Redlegs_87
05-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Might try to catch a game during the Pittsburgh Series next week.

GIDP
05-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I vend beer every day, though I may take out pop/water/peanuts/cracker jacks as well depending on the day/demographic of the crowd I see coming in as I walk past the gates.

As far as how much time I spend in the aisles as opposed to catching some of the game it depends. Weekends there are way more beer guys/gals and as it's strictly 1 beer vendor per aisle you'll see that there a lot of us waiting at the top of the aisle on the concourse watching the game and waiting to take our turn. Weekdays you can pretty much move around and work as hard as you want as many vendors are working another job and there are more open aisles for us to work as a result.

You make your own schedule, and you work as hard as you want to work. On a day like last Saturday I'll be busy selling, won't see hardly any of the game, and will definitely be a little sore when I get home. On a day like yesterday (being stuck in the nosebleeds with an extremely sparse crowd - many of them under age) I'll just stop selling and watch a half inning here and there, hitting a few aisles in between, and even while selling it never gets too busy that I'll miss any of the action.

Some days it's exhausting, other days I don't break a sweat. Either way I'm at the ballpark watching my team and getting paid while doing it :D

interesting, thanks for the info.

mivers176
05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
We are winning now (finally) but you cant expect 20k plus to show immediately overnight, especially on a crappy weather day like yesterday (and today unfortunately).

Myself, I dont have season tix but i go and buy walkups or online for at least 15-20 games a year. I think if the Reds continue playing well and stay in first / in the hunt, then you will see the crowds get a little bigger as time goes on.

also, beating a dead horse, i'm sure $ has a lot to do with it too right now. i'm not bad off but for my wife and i to shoot down after work 3x a month, thats an extra $125 / mo payment ($60 for tix, $36 to park, $12-18ea for a meal at the park since we have to go straight from work w/out stopping to make it in time).

Snowmanlikeme
05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Was definitely a sad showing by the fans. But, I won't blame fans for sitting idly by as the weather forecasts predict 70% chance of thunderstorms throughout the game.

Fortunately, I had to pick up a package of tickets for an organization I am taking in a month or so and stayed for the game with my father. It was a great game and, honestly, the weather was fantastic. Much more comfortable temperature wise than the games I went to Friday and Saturday against the cards!

GO FIRST PLACE REDS

Kingspoint
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
I didn't ask management for any estimates before the game started today as it was sort of a "I already know it's gonna be about as bad as it gets, so I'm not gonna bother to ask" situation, so you'll have to take my guesstimate with a grain of salt. But just from being there I would venture to guess there were 9.5 to 10k actually attending the game.

Thanks.

jhc2010
05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
17,697 for this afternoon's walk-off win. That's relatively good for a day game in mid-May.

KySteveH
05-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Louisville is drawing 8000 per game so far in equally crappy weather. Just sayin'...

bounty37h
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Shoulda made it a first place bobblehead night, the place would been packed!!!

1990REDS
05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
it will take some time. we have to overcome our last decades reputation of mediocrity.

mlh1981
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM

What a great job. :beerme:

webbbj
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
i am going to either tonites game or saturdays game im hoping for 30K+ but nothing so far this year would indicate thats gonna happen.

Reds
05-28-2010, 10:49 PM
... im hoping for 30K+ but nothing so far this year would indicate thats gonna happen.

but it did, 30K+ tonight, with 6500 walk-up sales if I heard correctly. :)

ILoveWilly
05-28-2010, 11:00 PM
:jump:

Reds
05-28-2010, 11:04 PM

arkimadee
05-28-2010, 11:15 PM
:) should be an even bigger crowd tomorrow!!!

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Warmer weather means one thing. Attendance should be looking up. Everywhere but Marlins games
>_>

sabometrics
05-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Great crowd on hand yesterday. Nothing better than walking out onto the concourse and seeing every section populated with a healthy contingent of Reds fans! Thirsty Reds fans too! :beerme:

Any day a fan gets excited enough to give me a high five while I'm working is a good day at the GABP. :D Let the good times roll!

defender
05-29-2010, 03:15 AM
The Reds gave the big crowd a great show.

scott91575
05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
36,918 tonight. That is a bit more like it.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 09:47 PM
They have sent something like 70k over the last 2 nights a reason to come back.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Reds gotta realize that the fans are there its just a matter of giving them proof that they should come out. Reds fans have been burned for a long time, and its going to take some great play to bring them out consistently.

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 09:52 PM
As soon as I find time, I'm purchasing some tickets and getting down there several times to see them. They are lots of fun to watch.

davereds24
05-29-2010, 10:00 PM
With the heat tomorrow I'd be surprised if they hit 30k, but it should be close. Tonight's number was inflated due to the Votto giveaway. Over 95k this weekend is still pretty impressive against a terrible team.

jhc2010
05-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Even though the temperature at game time was 86, Sunday's game vs. Houston had 36,038 fans in attendance.

Since July 2, 2006, only THREE Sunday games have had higher numbers.

That is the highest number for a Reds Sunday game since Sunday, September 7, 2008 against the Cubs. The Reds were 64-79, and the Cubs were 86-57 and up 4 games in central, so the park was filled with mostly Cub fans.

Going further back, the Reds played St. Louis on Sunday, August 17, 2008 in front of 37,468. The Reds were done at 55-70 and the Cards were 70-57 and in the middle of the wildcard hunt. This game was attended mostly by Cardinal Nation.

Even further back, Cincinnati hosted the defending World Champion Red Sox on Sunday, June 15, 2008 in front of 39,958. Obviously the Reds were not the only draw for this game either.

The fans at these three games above were obviously not there because the Reds were performing great.

Today's showing just proves that if Cincinnati puts a winner on the field, they will come.

jhc2010
05-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I did a little more research and found that today's game was the 5th highest attended game Sunday game in GABP history.

Sunday games with attendance higher than today's game vs. Houston (36,038):

9/19/2004 - Reds (68-80) vs. Cubs (82-65) - 41,649
7/2/2006 - Reds (44-37) vs. Indians (36-43) - 36,849
9/7/2008 - Reds (63-79) vs. Cubs (86-56) - 37,540
8/17/2008 - Reds (54-70) vs. Cardinals (70-56) - 37,468
6/15/2008 - Reds (33-37) vs. Red Sox (43-28) - 39,958

All of these games featured powerhouse teams having great seasons. Today's game was against the lowly Astros (16-33) is the only one on the list where basically everyone in the park was there just to see the Reds!

ian_madden
05-31-2010, 08:56 AM
We as fans need to show up for every game. We need to average 25,000 per weekday game, and 40,000 per weekend games. We do this we will get whatever players we want in free agency, and at the trade dead line (if we need this option).

1990REDS
05-31-2010, 09:41 AM
its amazing how a good product will bring the fans. ihope the FO takes note that cicncy is a big baseball town and if they put a competative team on the field the fans will follow. winning team=packed stadium. packed stadium=more money. more money=good players. its win win for everyone.

flash
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
25k for a mid-week day game.
Outside of Opening Day that was a large crowd for the Reds this season.

GIDP
06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Winning and promise does wonders.

arkimadee
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
attendance was better than average for the whole dodgers series.. School being out has a big thing to do with it.. we should draw fantastic for the Indians series.. I will be there!

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
School's out.

sabometrics
06-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Crowd was nice today. Tons of kids all over the stadium.

brachial pleXUs
06-17-2010, 09:06 PM
School's out.

For Summer, Forever, or both? ;)

texasdave
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
School's out.

And so is the Jury.

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 10:08 PM
And so is the Jury.

It does seem to be, but I've always tried to take it one month at a time. At the end of June we'll still be within a couple of games of first, either ahead or behind. Then we can look at the state of the REDS again and see if Bray gets promoted and if another Reliever has turned it around.

jhc2010
06-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Attendance figures from this past homestand, the longest of the year:

vs. SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Monday Night - 18,467
Tuesday Night - 13,011
Wednesday Night - 14,700
Thursday Afternoon - 19,241

vs. KANSAS CITY ROYALS
Friday Night - 25,847
Saturday Night - 34,240
Sunday Afternoon - 23,747

vs. LOS ANGELES DODGERS
Tuesday Night - 22,639
Wednesday Night - 23,083
Thursday Afternoon - 25,585

The Reds have had 878,629 fans attend games so far this season. Compare that to Cleveland's 522,994.

Reds
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
The Reds have had 878,629 fans attend games so far this season. Compare that to Cleveland's 522,994.

With all due respect to the Reds, that speaks volumes about how far Cleveland has fallen.

I don't like the Indians, but it was always great to see that stadium packed night after night in the 90's.

gilpdawg
06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
With all due respect to the Reds, that speaks volumes about how far Cleveland has fallen.

I don't like the Indians, but it was always great to see that stadium packed night after night in the 90's.

Yikes. That's sad. I go to concerts downtown up there all the time, but I've never been to a game, and back in the 90s and early 2000s if the Tribe was home, you had to leave extra time to get to the concert on time. Now, no problem.

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 07:09 AM
the american league was alot more fun when the Indians were good.

bounty37h
06-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Way to go Reds fans! I complain on here a lot about attendance, so gotta say love seeing the number of butts in the seats. It does make sense it would happen; put a wining product out, people come to see it. keep losing games, keep losing fans.

webbbj
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
thom brennamen just said that the milwaukee brewers avg 13,000 more fans per game than the reds.

how is this possible? where are the reds fans at? what is it gonna take to start getting 30k+ a game and more sellouts.

i know its still early, economy is bad, we havent won in forever but really milwaukee is that far ahead of us? its not like they have been anything special this year.

Griffey012
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
thom brennamen just said that the milwaukee brewers avg 13,000 more fans per game than the reds.

how is this possible? where are the reds fans at? what is it gonna take to start getting 30k+ a game and more sellouts.

i know its still early, economy is bad, we havent won in forever but really milwaukee is that far ahead of us? its not like they have been anything special this year.

A playoff appearance, or at least a legitimate late season push towards the playoffs with a winning record.

sabometrics
06-29-2010, 01:13 AM
The Brewers have been in contention come August for three years running and have a playoff appearance under their belts. The Reds have spent the last decade sniffing a playoff race come September only once (and just barely). Those kind of crowds take a few years of consistent success to get.

Consider this: from 2000-2009 the Reds spent just one day after the All-Star break tied for 1st place. They never once owned sole possession of 1st for even a solitary day after the Midsummer Classic during that time. Until they do that, and contend/lead all the way down the stretch attendance numbers will drag behind other teams for seasons to come.

jhc2010
06-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Thom was correct.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
(through Sunday's games)

1. NY Yankees 45,648
10. Milwaukee 35,090
23. Cincinnati 22,676
30. Cleveland 16,343

Total fans through the gates so far this year:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

1. LA Dodgers 1,748,743
18. Cincinnati 975,107
30. Cleveland 522,994

Tonight's games:
Toronto @ Cleveland - 11,577
Philadelphia @ Cincinnati - 22,090

Even 18,073 turned out tonight in Puerto Rico to watch Mets vs. Marlins.

sabometrics
06-29-2010, 01:48 AM
The problem here is that most if not all of us are diehards who have been supporting this team through the thick and the thin, and then the second they show promise we wonder why we don't get the bandwagoners. Have to put yourself in the shoes of those that have been off the bandwagon for years, that watch ESPN, but don't see the Reds featured prominently there ever, and have seen mostly recaps of losses on the 11 o'clock news for 10 summers running. Eventually the tides will turn but for now we have to enjoy that WE are in on the ride, even if others aren't, and that doesn't make it any less fun.

At the end of the day 20k+ at the park can still roar pretty loud. :D

bounty37h
06-29-2010, 08:54 AM
The F.O. has done their part, time for fans to catch on and come support em. We are in first with the all star game in view, I cant remember the last time I cared or had hope for this club this late in the season. In past years I have already been looking forward to football starting and just watching minor league ball untill then....

flash
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Everything said here is true. I am surprised that Milwalkee draws so well considering they compete in the same market as the Cubs and White Sox.

But consider this. The Reds do compete with 3 AAA farm teams and 2 A teams within 100 miles of Cincinnati.

Louisville
Indianapolis
Columbus
Dayton
Lexington

ian_madden
06-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I'll take 22,000 on a monday night. We need to have big crowds every weekend. Sell out crowds. These games need to be the "hot ticket" in town. Come on fans where are ya?!?!?!

Biff Pocoroba
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
I was just reading complaints in the Haren to StL? thread about the Reds not spending money. And I thought to myself, they've bumped the payroll by $16 million, they are spending more money to scout and sign prospects, and they have been in or near first place all season. And yet the attendence is still low, despite relatively low ticket prices.

The owner and front office is doing it's part, now the fans need to do theirs. And if they don't do theirs, they aren't allowed to complain about payroll.

ThornWithin81
06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
I think they need to find a way to generate more hype around the ballpark. Better bars, better atmosphere, etc.

It's a nice ballpark but if you're a casual fan that wants to have fun first and foremost, you can do better. If we really want to put rears in the seats we should serve two dollar beers. That'll do it.

jhc2010
06-30-2010, 04:09 AM
With many Ohio cities hosting baseball games this week, I thought it would be interesting to compare attendance numbers between the different levels of baseball. The Indians are drawing minor league-like numbers. On Monday, the attendance was higher at the Columbus Clippers AAA game than the Indians major league game!

Monday, June 28
MLB: Philadelphia @ Cincinnati - 22,090
AAA: Gwinnett @ Columbus - 12,227
MLB: Toronto @ Cleveland - 11,557
A: Fort Wayne @ Dayton - 9,028

Tuesday, June 29
MLB: Philadelphia @ Cincinnati - 26,679
MLB: Toronto @ Cleveland - 11,401
AAA: Indianapolis @ Columbus - 10,100
AAA: Gwinnett @ Toledo - 9,430
A: Fort Wayne @ Dayton - 8,554

jhc2010
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
27,245 at this afternoon's game!

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
27,245 at this afternoon's game!

Wow.

For a Wednesday Day game.

That's simply fantastic.

There's the response Castellini's been looking for.

davereds24
06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
over 75k for a M-W series is pretty darn impressive. it could start getting really exciting at GABP after the break.

sabometrics
06-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I think they need to find a way to generate more hype around the ballpark. Better bars, better atmosphere, etc.

It's a nice ballpark but if you're a casual fan that wants to have fun first and foremost, you can do better. If we really want to put rears in the seats we should serve two dollar beers. That'll do it.

ROFL no kidding, but there is no way that will ever ever ever happen. They already sell small 5.50 (?) not sure "value" drafts, you'll never see it go any lower. When the Banks is finished that will help to improve the atmosphere in and around the park, but for now the Reds are really doing everything they can inside the stadium to attract fans.

webbbj
06-30-2010, 06:51 PM
over 75k for a M-W series is pretty darn impressive. it could start getting really exciting at GABP after the break.

i'll take 75k for a weekday series. but its time to be getting 110k+ attendances for the weekend series. we dont have anymore home games until after the allstar game hopefully we can come into the 2nd half strong and in 1st place and have our reds welcomed home with 40k fans.

davereds24
06-30-2010, 07:17 PM
The Saturday game will be sold out after the break with the Sabo giveaway. That series should draw over 100k assuming they don't tank these next 11 games.

jhc2010
07-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Updated total attendance numbers through June 30:

1. LA Dodgers 1,748,743
2. NY Yankees 1,689,779
3. Boston 1,615,359
17. Cincinnati 1,051,121
29. Pittsburgh 664,427
30. Cleveland 558,081

Average attendance:
1. NY Yankees 45,669
2. Philadelphia 45,054
3. LA Dodgers 44,839
23. Cincinnati 22,850
30. Cleveland 15,945

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

jhc2010
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
37,188 at the park for Colorado vs. Cincinnati. That is the largest Friday Night crowd since the Pujols grand slam game last season on Friday, July 3 when there were 41,349.

ILoveWilly
07-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Good news, I'm guessing even with the Phillies sweep the long time between home series' after that big road trip plus ASB pushed attendance up a good deal.

WestSideBomber
07-17-2010, 12:35 AM
The crowd tonight was amazing. It was a playoff-type atmosphere. Into it from the get-go and stayed that way throughout. When Rhodes struckout that last batter was probably the loudest I've EVER heard GABP.

Hoping for similar stuff from weekend games for the rest of the year!

BPhil4
07-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Tonight was awesome!!!!! I've never been to a game at gabp that was anywhere close to tonight. Everyone was on their feet for rhodes' last out. It was great!!! I move to Mississippi on Sunday, my wife is being stationed there, but ill be watching on my ps3. Hope the crowds keep staying that involved.

Roush's socks
07-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Great to hear.

sabometrics
07-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Here's to having more crowds/games like that. Came with my 'Specs on and cheered them home to the victory :cool:. Hammer was a riot. He made a kid do the hammer dance, then cry! Most fun I've had at a game since August '06 when this happened:
YouTube - Go yard D Ross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u95UqYdnBlU)
to bring us to within 2.5 games of the Cards, AGAINST the Cards. Rhodes' consecutive K's didn't top that night, but they came close. Great moment, great crowd. And even if he was robbing the Reds (and Bruce, of course) Fowler's catch was amazing - don't get to see that very often. They seem to have a penchant for close games when I'm in the paid attendance, the only two games I've taken off to go to watch this season with friends they've won by one (Halladay-Bruce HR and today).

I'm going to have to take off more games so I can sit in and watch them - planning on going to see Strasburg on Wednesday, hopefully that will be a good one too. Until then I'll be there working anyways so I hope the numbers stay high!

arkimadee
07-17-2010, 02:43 AM
i have to agree that tonight was the loudest I have ever heard GABP.. As I looked around at the near sold out crowd I was thinking how awesome it would be if it were 45 degrees here and it was October with the playoff flag banners up all over the stadium. I'm so hungry for this and tonight I feel I got a taste!!! I haven't felt that satisfied leaving a game in god knows how long.

cbowen2112
07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
per twitter:

CincinnatiReds

Tonight's game is sold out, except for $5 SRO. Can be purchased at reds.com and in person at all ticket outlets, including GABP tix windows.

Great to see!

ILoveWilly
07-17-2010, 02:39 PM
If I lived in Cincy I would be going to a crapload of games. Just a general guess, but are tickets usually easy to come by cheap? I would be all over that.

You damn Cincinnati'ans need to stop supporting crappy teams like the Bungals and use that money on Reds games!

ILoveWilly
07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Nvm moved to new thread.

scott91575
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Per reports, the weekend is supposed to be a sellout. That should bring average attendance near 25,000. That is only about 20th in the league, but still about a 17% increase over last year. If the Reds stay in the race that could easily jump to 25%. So despite some people not liking the overall average, that is still a considerable jump in one year and lets the organization know the fans will come out if the team wins.

arkimadee
08-30-2010, 11:34 PM
14,589......... Really? School start back tomorrow or something?

RedsLvr
08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
14,589......... Really? School start back tomorrow or something?

Already has for many. I'm sure it will be about triple that tomorrow though, don't worry.

Vottomatic
08-30-2010, 11:40 PM
It will be better. Tomorrow night me and 30,000 of my relatives and friends are going down.

redsfan_12
08-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Like someone in the GT said, if we couldnt sell out the Cards on a Monday, we wont sell out the Brewers.

ThornWithin81
08-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I work two jobs. If I had a better income and a schedule that was based around working during the day, I'd be there on a nightly basis.

That isn't the case. :(

gedred69
08-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I am stunned! I will be there tomorrow per my partial season ticket, but what really is amazing the 1st and 2nd persons I asked to use my other ticket turned me down! (#3 said yes). I would have thought the chance of seeing Chapman's debut would have generated more interest. Maybe it's me......

Mutaman
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
For years I've been reading people from Cincinnati posting here that the reason for the poor attendance is the bad teams . That excuse doesn't wash anymore. Lets face it Cincinnati is just a poor sports town. It's really put to shame by cities like St. Louis and Milwaukee.

ThornWithin81
08-31-2010, 12:02 AM
For years I've been reading people from Cincinnati posting here that the reason for the poor attendance is the bad teams . That excuse doesn't wash anymore. Lets face it Cincinnati is just a poor sports town. It's really put to shame by cities like St. Louis and Milwaukee.

I think Cincinnati is a city that has been beaten into sports submission from 20 years of irrelevance. The Bengals (Not a fan, admittedly) were downright terrible for a solid decade. The Reds were downright terrible for the bulk of the lost decade.

I think you'll see great numbers in future years if the Reds prove they are for real with a series win or two in the post-season, or even if they look good in the first round. It takes a while for jaded fans to come around.

scott91575
08-31-2010, 12:14 AM

Until Milwaukee started winning games they were similar to the Reds in attendance.

Monday's are always bad, and the Monday once school has started is always one of the worst of the year.

I expect a bump next year, but the 2nd home game and the first Monday at the start of school are always terrible attendance games.

mlh1981
08-31-2010, 12:17 AM
I would expect 25-30k a game the rest of the way.

Other teams have no problems getting that, and we have proven ourselves to be a good team this year. No excuses.

Yeah, school is in session and what not, but it is in Philly, NYC, etc as well. Not to compare us, and our market to theirs. Just sayin.......

DocRed
08-31-2010, 01:02 AM
actually my kid's school does start tomorrow lol

webbbj
08-31-2010, 01:23 AM
this is really disappointing. cant say i helped. ill be there tommorrow. sure kids go back to school but its not like there arent plenty of families either w/o kids or kids that have grownup. its not like teenagers go to bed at 10pm. maybe the res need to do something in marketing to get pple more aware of this team but they got the best marketing tool, their winning.

arkimadee
08-31-2010, 02:02 AM
i mean it is what it is i guess... if the reds make the playoffs this year, season ticket sales will go through the roof.. the more season tickets sold the less a small gate would happen.. imagine how small the crowd would have been if we still sucked

RedsLvr
08-31-2010, 02:25 AM
Also, do you guys not realize that the recession is hitting Cincinnati quite hard? You can't expect there to be a solid turnout every night. You'll see big crowds on big nights, but even if we win the world series every year for the next decade and we're still in a recession, we won't have a good turnout on a regular basis. Just look at Tampa Bay. Best record in baseball right now and have been playoff bound for several years...a home attendance of 11,968 last night against a DIVISION RIVAL. So I guess Tampa Bay has bad fans too huh? Nah, they're ranked in the top 10 in the country in the worst hit by the recession on Forbe's.

Kingspoint
08-31-2010, 03:43 AM
They never sold out the 1995 playoffs.

1000's and 1000's of tickets available.

There was no recession in 1995. People had more money than they knew what to do with.

The excuse then was that the fans were still fuming from the strike.

They had a horrible owner back then that treated fans like crap. Same goes for the years under the Banana King.

With Castellini on board, things have changed 100%. I think every year over the next 6-7 years will start seeing an increase in attendance.

You just can't dog fans and expect them to keep showing up....unless it's the NFL. For some reason, people will take any kind of abuse and still fork over the money.

Captain13
08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
I work plenty hard for my money, and I go as often as I can. Unfortunately, living over an hour away and having two little one precludes me from attending regularly. That said, if any of you season ticket holders are having trouble unloading a ticket send me a message. I will see you at the ballpark.

corwinator3407
08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
I would be at every game now for the rest of the season if it wasn't for having school (night classes after working all day FTL). So I can understand that my case was similar to many others and reflected the attendance last night. But I can't see how every game doesn't have 20-25k the rest of the season on weeknights, and sell out every weekend.

Caveman Techie
08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
T
They had a horrible owner back then that treated fans like crap. Same goes for the years under the Banana King.

Gotta disagree with you here. Marge was always good to the fans I remember for the longest time the Reds had the cheapest tickets in MLB available with 1$ hot dogs. That was all Marge's doing, so that in her words " a family of 4 can afford to come to the park and enjoy a game".

She also did everything she could to help the Major League team win, alot of times to the detriment of the Minors and the future, but she didn't care about that.

Biff Pocoroba
08-31-2010, 08:43 AM
I would expect 25-30k a game the rest of the way.

Other teams have no problems getting that, and we have proven ourselves to be a good team this year. No excuses.

Yeah, school is in session and what not, but it is in Philly, NYC, etc as well. Not to compare us, and our market to theirs. Just sayin.......

Actually, NYC schools don't start back until next Wednesday. Don't know about Philly

GIDP
08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
If you take 15+ years destryoing a fan base it takes more than 1 season to rebuild it.

People watch on TV, and are listening at record levels. Not to mention money is tight for a lot of people and Cincy isnt a large metro area so a lot of people have to travel to get to the games.

GIDP
08-31-2010, 09:18 AM
nvm

mlh1981
08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
How was Milwaukee, a similarly sized market, pulling such huge attendance numbers the past few years?

And is the St. Louis market THAT much bigger than ours? Granted, they have been winning for a long time.

DaytonFlyer
08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
At times like this, you wonder how much bigger the attendance would be if virtually every game wasn't televised? Does the TV contract and ad revenue they get off those extra 50 TV games trump the extra people that would actually come to the game because it's not on TV?

I've often wondered about this, and am not sure if that has ever been studied or discussed previously.

Captain13
08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
How was Milwaukee, a similarly sized market, pulling such huge attendance numbers the past few years?

And is the St. Louis market THAT much bigger than ours? Granted, they have been winning for a long time.

Yes, it is. 600,000 larger or 23%. I think that is pretty significant.

PhillipsHead
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Marty commented on this at the beginning of the telecast last night, and I think all of you need to put in your best effort. I live in SD and I'll do my part when they come to San Diego, but y'all need to step it up. I even caught the first of the Cards game this month when I visited Ohio....so let's see some better numbers!!!!

MikeThierry
09-01-2010, 02:22 AM
I think Cincinnati is a city that has been beaten into sports submission from 20 years of irrelevance. The Bengals (Not a fan, admittedly) were downright terrible for a solid decade. The Reds were downright terrible for the bulk of the lost decade.

I might be out of line here but to me that is a bad excuse at this point. The Reds are in first place and aren't looking back. I could understand this argument at the beginning of the year but after the All Star Break, the Cincy fans should realize that their team is good, exciting, and fun to watch.

scott91575
09-01-2010, 05:01 AM
I might be out of line here but to me that is a bad excuse at this point. The Reds are in first place and aren't looking back. I could understand this argument at the beginning of the year but after the All Star Break, the Cincy fans should realize that their team is good, exciting, and fun to watch.

and that shows up in the television ratings (#4 television, #1 radio last time I checked). Ballpark numbers take more time to increase.

I am not happy with the turnout, but it's not that big of a deal. This is always a terrible week for attendance in Cincinnati, and numbers always drop end of August into September (especially the first week of school). While it may not look good by the ballpark numbers, plenty of people are interested as witnessed by the ratings numbers. Many people have already spent their budget for going to the games (especially with football season coming up). Numbers will jump more next year when people budget in more games at the ballpark, and hopefully the economy improves some.

scott91575
09-01-2010, 05:03 AM

Milwaukee has had years in the past decade below the Reds attendance numbers. Their expectations have been much higher the past few years. The Reds had 9 straight losing seasons. Look for the Reds to be similar to the Brewers next year, if not better.

GIDP
09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Everyone and their brother has a huge HD TV as well. Along with that comes a private bathroom, a fridge, a stove, and unlimited seats.

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Reds need to make this season a trend, and the fans will come in droves. That's what has made STL so popular. Winning cures all ills, including small crowds. The Reds are laying the foundation with this great season, and more in the future will bring more people to GABP.

I hate to say this (because I hate Dusty Baker as a manager), but great job all the way around.

Wiggidy
09-01-2010, 05:08 PM
The problem is the location of the stadium. It's a hassle to go downtown. There are a lot of Reds fans but watching at home is better than dealing with parking downtown. If the stadium was in Westchester or Mason it would fill up much more often. There are a lot of poor areas around the metro area, they should have put the stadium in the suburbs.

BPhil4
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM

I think you'll see great numbers in future years if the Reds prove they are for real with a series win or two in the post-season, or even if they look good in the first round. It takes a while for jaded fans to come around.

Isn't that even more reason though to go out to the park now that the reds are winnng??? That's a bad excuse!!!

cooperlamar
09-01-2010, 07:51 PM
The problem is the location of the stadium. It's a hassle to go downtown. There are a lot of Reds fans but watching at home is better than dealing with parking downtown. If the stadium was in Westchester or Mason it would fill up much more often. There are a lot of poor areas around the metro area, they should have put the stadium in the suburbs.

I personally think that's false and that it's a great location. It's extremely easy to get in and out of the park - tons of parking nearby, quick walk - you can take a boat from across the river, walk across the river, take a bus from KY or downtown and get right to the gate. Again, you can park for $5 and be a 10-minute walk from the park. It's also close to 75, 71, 471, 74, and Columbia Parkway.

Also, it's central to all of the suburbs. Westchester is 20 minutes away, as is Mason, Blue Ash, Milford, Harrison, and as far south as Walton.

There isn't a better location imo.

davereds24
09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah the stadium is very accessible and parking is abundant and pretty cheap.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 10:14 AM
19k on Tuesday. 16k last night.

As for downtown being a hassle to get to? No way, at least not for me coming Columbia Pkwy. I just shoot right onto 471 and head to Newport, grab some free or $3 parking at the Levee and walk across the purple bridge. No traffic coming in or leaving. And if you want to park in Cincinnati just avoid driving 2nd and 3rd St and you'll hit almost zero traffic.

Getting to Mason or West Chester would be abysmal after work. Have you seen traffic on 75N and 71N at the end of the day? It's a mess. Traffic into downtown at the end of the day is usually smooth sailing.

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
You get 5-8k at a high school football game in the suburbs. People would fill that stadium up almost every night if the stadium was moved north. It would be in between Dayton and Cincinnati, the Kentucky people would still come because it's only another 15 miles, it would be cake to park. You also have people that can actually afford to go to the game (and people that now don't have to rush down to the stadium after they get off work) coming with their families. There are only 300k people that live in the city and about 2 million in the greater Cincinnati area. I think more people would like driving the 275 loop to the game than battling to make it to the first inning on time.

The parking garages downtown are a pain, the lot in between Paul Brown and Great American is ok but overall not as nice as it could/should be. I think this is why the tv and radio ratings are so good and the attendance is poor. Just my 2 cents.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
You get 5-8k at a high school football game in the suburbs. People would fill that stadium up almost every night if the stadium was moved north. It would be in between Dayton and Cincinnati, the Kentucky people would still come because it's only another 15 miles, it would be cake to park. You also have people that can actually afford to go to the game (and people that now don't have to rush down to the stadium after they get off work) coming with their families. There are only 300k people that live in the city and about 2 million in the greater Cincinnati area. I think more people would like driving the 275 loop to the game than battling to make it to the first inning on time.

The parking garages downtown are a pain, the lot in between Paul Brown and Great American is ok but overall not as nice as it could/should be. I think this is why the tv and radio ratings are so good and the attendance is poor. Just my 2 cents.

You could be right.

Personally, when I was buying my house I picked a location with ridiculously easy access to downtown so I could easily get to the ballpark. :)

Captain13
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I think they should move the stadium to the suburbs, as well. I think a location in Sparta would be perfect. There would be no downtown traffic to deal with and plenty of parking already there at the Speedway. It is a beautiful idea. :rolleyes:

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I think they should move the stadium to the suburbs, as well. I think a location in Sparta would be perfect. There would be no downtown traffic to deal with and plenty of parking already there at the Speedway. It is a beautiful idea. :rolleyes:

Got any reasons why the Reds are #1 in radio ratings, #4 in tv ratings and #20 in attendance?

edit: And obviously parking would be built and planned for, along with highway access and roads. You can do all of this because there is land to work with.

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm going to disagree with this, simply because you can park over in Newport and enjoy a nice walk. I did this yesterday. Park down by the levee in meter parking, spend 1.75 to cover the meter up until 1 AM and walk down to the ballpark. A lot of us do it.

The Stadium fails to fill up because our fanbase is absolutely battered by the Lost Decade. Think about it - how many young people (I'm 24 - at least I have vague, vague, VAGUE memories of going to Riverfront in the early 90's with my family) care about the Reds right now? A kid born in 1994 has known nothing but failure. He's less likely to talk his dad into trips to the ballpark. And his dad has grown tired of spending money to go down to the ballpark and watch a loser.

Sure, we're winning right now but I'm convinced the bulk of Cincinnati has no faith that it will actually go anywhere beyond making the playoffs and getting rocked in the NLDS. If we put together a playoff run and/or win the Series, we'll sell out the ballpark within a few years.

Give it time. As long as the front office can afford to deal with these attendance numbers, so can we. :beerme:

Got any reasons why the Reds are #1 in radio ratings, #4 in tv ratings and #20 in attendance?

1) Radio is free.
2) Most families already own a giant HDtv and have HDCable/Sat service, including FSN-Ohio. In a sense, watching the game on HDtv is also "free." Ish.
3) The ballpark is decidedly not free. Tickets are reasonable, concessions are not. It's really hot this year. Etc.

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm going to disagree with this, simply because you can park over in Newport and enjoy a nice walk. I did this yesterday. Park down by the levee in meter parking, spend 1.75 to cover the meter up until 1 AM and walk down to the ballpark. A lot of us do it.

The Stadium fails to fill up because our fanbase is absolutely battered by the Lost Decade. Think about it - how many young people (I'm 24 - at least I have vague, vague, VAGUE memories of going to Riverfront in the early 90's with my family) care about the Reds right now? A kid born in 1994 has known nothing but failure. He's less likely to talk his dad into trips to the ballpark. And his dad has grown tired of spending money to go down to the ballpark and watch a loser.

Sure, we're winning right now but I'm convinced the bulk of Cincinnati has no faith that it will actually go anywhere beyond making the playoffs and getting rocked in the NLDS. If we put together a playoff run and/or win the Series, we'll sell out the ballpark within a few years.

Give it time. As long as the front office can afford to deal with these attendance numbers, so can we. :beerme:

I'm 28 so my memories are about the same as yours. I agree that the attendance will grow if they keep doing well and there is a lost generation in a sense. I just think a stadium in the suburbs would bring people in even during the bad years.

More people live in the surrounding area than in the city. 275 is a much nicer drive (especially for weeknight games).

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM

1) Radio is free.
2) Most families already own a giant HDtv and have HDCable/Sat service, including FSN-Ohio. In a sense, watching the game on HDtv is also "free." Ish.
3) The ballpark is decidedly not free. Tickets are reasonable, concessions are not. It's really hot this year. Etc.

Those are also good points but the Reds have the concessions set at league minimum prices (according to the guy responsible for it, heard him on the radio earlier this year).

Captain13
09-02-2010, 11:30 AM

edit: And obviously parking would be built and planned for, along with highway access and roads. You can do all of this because there is land to work with.

Wiggity, if you want to build near 75, the first place you get to with "land to work with" is Middletown, and off 71 the first place is past Kings Island. Besides, I think they are the Cincinnati Reds, not the Butler County, Mason, Wilmington or West Carrollton Reds. I live in KY, have no trouble getting in and out of downtown, but if you want to move them to 275 there is plenty of room on the south-side. :)

Captain13
09-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Those are also good points but the Reds have the concessions set at league minimum prices (according to the guy responsible for it, heard him on the radio earlier this year).

Wiggidy, now we agree. The prices are very reasonable. Not to mention, you can carry in a cooler with your own food and drink (provided the drink is in a sealed, clear plastic bottle). I have done this, and it is very cost-effective.

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm 28 so my memories are about the same as yours. I agree that the attendance will grow if they keep doing well and there is a lost generation in a sense. I just think a stadium in the suburbs would bring people in even during the bad years.

More people live in the surrounding area than in the city. 275 is a much nicer drive (especially for weeknight games).

I live in the Amelia area - I love the drive down to Newport during the day. It's easy, not too long and the walk to the ballpark is generally pleasant (the heat this season has taken away from the enjoyment, but it still isn't THAT bad). The only thing I don't like is driving back home at night after sitting and sweating in the heat shoulder to shoulder. I was very, very tired last night driving home. There are a couple sections of 275 that seem like the perfect place(s) for deer to launch out in front of my car at the last possible second.

For anyone who thinks walking from Newport would take too long, I was home last night barely an hour after the end of the game... and I hung around Reds Live for 5 or 10 minutes at the end there. The last time I parked downtown I spent an hour sitting in traffic. Much nicer enjoying the night walk. :beerme:

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Wiggidy, now we agree. The prices are very reasonable. Not to mention, you can carry in a cooler with your own food and drink (provided the drink is in a sealed, clear plastic bottle). I have done this, and it is very cost-effective.

The prices aren't reasonable - even if they are the league minimum. Look no further than paying four dollars plus for a bottle of water.

Now, I did not know that you could bring in a cooler with FOOD. What are the rules in relation to coolers? Can you pack any food or are there rules with that as well?

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I live in the Amelia area - I love the drive down to Newport during the day. It's easy, not too long and the walk to the ballpark is generally pleasant (the heat this season has taken away from the enjoyment, but it still isn't THAT bad). The only thing I don't like is driving back home at night after sitting and sweating in the heat shoulder to shoulder. I was very, very tired last night driving home. There are a couple sections of 275 that seem like the perfect place(s) for deer to launch out in front of my car at the last possible second.

For anyone who thinks walking from Newport would take too long, I was home last night barely an hour after the end of the game... and I hung around Reds Live for 5 or 10 minutes at the end there. The last time I parked downtown I spent an hour sitting in traffic. Much nicer enjoying the night walk. :beerme:

I'll give Newport a shot next time I'm down there. I don't mind walking and I have made that walk before (but the opposite direction, parked in Cincinnati and walked to Newport after the game).

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 11:41 AM
The prices aren't reasonable - even if they are the league minimum. Look no further than paying four dollars plus for a bottle of water.

Now, I did not know that you could bring in a cooler with FOOD. What are the rules in relation to coolers? Can you pack any food or are there rules with that as well?

Yeah, the guy that sets the prices agreed that they are too high. He wanted dollar beers and dollar hot dogs but the league wouldn't approve it.

Captain13
09-02-2010, 11:41 AM

When I called GABP to ask, they said snacks and "home-prepared" sandwiches. The coolers have to be soft-sided and fit underneath 1 seat. I came with my brother for a game recently and we brought in three sandwiches, two bags of chips and 6 bottles of water (August day game against Cards...it was hot).

webbbj
09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
i dont think location of the stadium is a problem. im not sure what riverfront stadium numbers were like btw 1970-1995 but i recall seeing sellouts in old videos but then again those were videos of playoff games and such.

would Mason be a better location, perhaps? i think there would be a greater concentration of people living w/in 20 minutes of the stadium. not sure on that but i think the population is greater in a 20 mile radius in mason than downtown. also, its a lot more accessible to the higher income families who are the pple going to the game. downtown is most accessible to low to middle class families who arent spending as much money on baseball.

right now id imagine the pple going to weekday games are w/in 20 mins of the stadium which is probably around 500K pple. on the weekend i think you may have upto 5million + eligible game attenders when you include all of kentucky, out to indianapolis upto columbus and eastern ohio toward WV.

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
When I called GABP to ask, they said snacks and "home-prepared" sandwiches. The coolers have to be soft-sided and fit underneath 1 seat. I came with my brother for a game recently and we brought in three sandwiches, two bags of chips and 6 bottles of water (August day game against Cards...it was hot).

That's awesome. I wish I had known about this earlier... oh well.

GIDP
09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Reds averaged 32k in the month of August.

Driver62
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I live in Dayton but have only seen one game at GABP as I'm retired and live on a fixed income. It's easy to get to the stadium. I just take I-75, jump off at Freeman and take Mehring Way to the big lot close to the park. Just walk up the steps, across the street and you're there.

It can be a pain getting out of the lot after the game and I-75 can be bumper to bumper so I tale Rt 127 north a few miles and get on I-75 where the traffic has thined out. It's not a big deal.

Yes, concessions are expensive so eat before you get there. Parking in Newport and walking across the bridge is not an option for me as I have very bad back problems but shouldn't be a problem for the younger folks. Besides, you could take the bus if you don't want to walk.

In other words, complaining about parking and the concession prices is no reason not to attend.

GIDP
09-02-2010, 01:04 PM
In other words, complaining about parking and the concession prices is no reason not to attend.

Single handedly no, but when you add up a lot of things they are.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
There are league minimums for concession prices? That doesn't sound right.

How are the Reds able to offer the $1 stuff?

justincredible
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Fan Cost Index (http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4278:from-beer-to-tickets-to-hot-dogs-inside-the-2010-mlb-fan-cost-index&catid=26:editorials&Itemid=39)

Reds have the cheapest, by far, hot dogs and soda even though they are tiny. Beer is cheaper in a few places.

RedsFanInBama
09-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I hope we don't see any more crowds like the last three nights the rest of the way. That was pitiful for a team in first place and playing great baseball. I know weeknights early in the week aren't the best time to draw crowds, but that was just sad.

webbbj
09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
i dont even think ticket prices should be to blame. they are filling the infield seats. they arent selling their cheapest tickets though. they entire upperdeck has almost no one.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
i dont even think ticket prices should be to blame. they are filling the infield seats. they arent selling their cheapest tickets though. they entire upperdeck has almost no one.

The lower level could be filling up with people from the upper level. My tickets for last night were in 522 but my wife and I sat in 110.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 02:12 PM

I think this is an unfair assesment. Over the past 15+ years how many winning teams has the Reds fielded? You don't get fans back that fast.

Captain13
09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
"Fans" shouldn't be lost. The guy who says/said "I don't watch (sport) anymore, because (team) doesn't win" isn't really a fan. People who don't support a loser by going, but watch on TV...they can be fans. Now the Reds are winning, time for those folks to show up.

GIDP
09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Fans arent lost other than ones that die or move.

What does happen is fans lose interest. Watch a Yankees highlight in the 80s. There was zero people at those games also.

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 03:12 PM
There are league minimums for concession prices? That doesn't sound right.

How are the Reds able to offer the $1 stuff?

I'm going by what the guy said on the radio. Willy interviewed him on 700wlw back in May.

davereds24
09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
The only thing there are minimums on are alcohol.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
The only thing there are minimums on are alcohol.

I can believe this, but even then the Reds aren't at the minimum if other teams are offering beer cheaper. Unless it is a minimum "per ounce" and the $4 beers in Arizona are even smaller than the $5 dixie cup beers at GABP.

gmt
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
It's a little sad that the first game in St Louis may draw nearly as many people as the entire Brewers series. I don't go to games because I live too far away and can't afford (don't want to pay that kind of money) to go anyway. If the heat of a pennant race can't draw the fans in, what can? How about a Rock-em Sock-em robots giveaway featuring your favorite Reds players versus your favorite reds Foe?

Captain13
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
If the heat of a pennant race can't draw the fans in, what can?

:beerme::beerme:DOLLAR BEER NIGHT!!!:beerme::beerme::beerme:

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
A smoking section in the stadium could help too.

Rockermann
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
A smoking section in the stadium could help too.

:eek: Smoking?? That's so 20th Century.

Just kidding... :)

gmt
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
How about a Cueto Kick Boxing contest?
Votto Lotto?
Can You Hit the Chapman Fastball Pitching machine.
Rolen's Bowlin" for dollars.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Can You Hit the Chapman Fastball Pitching machine.

This would be awesome. I'd sign a waiver to take a shot at a 105mph pitch. :)

scott91575
09-02-2010, 05:28 PM
:beerme::beerme:DOLLAR BEER NIGHT!!!:beerme::beerme::beerme:

Even better, 10 cent beer night!!! That worked out well for the Indians....

"I remember getting spit on a lot and having a lot of hot dogs thrown at me. Somebody threw a gallon jug of Thunderbird wine at me." --Mike Hargrove, Rangers Rookie of the Year in 1974 and former Indians manager

"You can't pull back uncontrollable beasts. The last time I saw animals like that was in the zoo." -- Umpire Nestor Chylak

On June 4, 1974, the Rangers were bad, but the Indians were worse. Attendance was dismal and management decided it needed a promotion. Now-a-days, they'll throw in a player bobblehead or a calendar or a Grady Sizemore blanket. Nope, not in the dismal 1970's. Why not give disgruntled fans an opportunity to drink 10oz beers for 10cents a pop? Nothing bad would happen during that fiasco, would it?

The Stroh's beer flowed that night. Here's the synopsis:

* Pre-game: Fans were setting off fireworks from their seats. Texas manager Billy Martin delivered his line-up to the umpire and was booed. In reply, he tipped his cap and blew kisses to the crowd.
* Inning 1: Several smoke bombs went off in the stands.
* Inning 2: A large woman jumped down from the fans into the Indians' on-deck circle, lifted her shirt, and tried to kiss the umpire, Nestor Chylak.
* Inning 4: A Ranger outfielder hit his second home run of the game, but as he circled the bases, a naked man from the stands ran onto the field and slid into second base.
* Inning 5: Father and son jumped into the infield and mooned the crowd.
* Inning 6: Fireworks were shooting toward the Texas dugout. Cleveland fans were hurling anything and everything down onto the field: beer cups, golf balls, rocks, batteries, etc.
* Inning 7: Rangers pitchers retreated from the bullpen and stayed in the dugout.
* Innings 7 and 8: Fans regularly jumped down into right field where Ranger player and American League MVP Jeff Burroughs was stationed. They wanted to say hello to the MVP and shake his hand. Security people escorted these fans off the field, but there weren't really enough security forces to restrain the numbers of people jumping onto the field.
* Inning 9: Cleveland was down 5-3. Despite all the projectiles and the occasional fan rushing the field, Cleveland managed to score two runs and tie the game. More fans ran onto the field in celebration. Then someone tried to steal Burroughs' glove for a souvenir. Reports vary about whether the fan was able to get the glove away from Burroughs or not. The fan punched Burroughs; Burroughs punched back.
* In reply, nearby drunk and angry fans jumped onto the field, swarming around Burroughs. Some still in the stands wrenched their chairs out of their bearings and threw them onto the field, aiming for Burroughs.
* Texas Rangers manager Billy Martin (known to show his temper now and then) grabbed a bat and said to his team, "Let's get 'em, boys," on his way out of the clubhouse. When Martin and his team rushed the field, thousands of fans streamed out of the stands.

Wiggidy
09-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that game is a good excuse for MLB to make beers 7 dollars. Pretty lame excuse if you ask me. Look at the 99' playoff game in Cincy. I can't remember how many people ran on the field but it was a lot.

skywalker
09-13-2010, 10:56 PM
why after all these years they still dont draw in cincinnati ? only 12000 + tonight

RedsLvr
09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Bad Economy + Bad decade = Bad Attendance. Haha, it's not rocket science.

mlh1981
09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
There's always an "excuse"

The economy is a legit one, but this school night/inferior opponent/late season/something else going on in town, etc doesn't fly anymore.

RedsLvr
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM

The economy is a legit one, but this school night/inferior opponent/late season/something else going on in town, etc doesn't fly anymore.

Well our TV ratings have been great. So it's not like someone can say that Cincinnati isn't a baseball city.

09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Bad Economy + Bad decade = Bad Attendance. Haha, it's not rocket science.

Plus it's Monday night, right when school begins, against a team few Cincinnatian's care about.

I just posted in another thread that it usually takes a year for the attendance to catch up to a contending team. In 1990, the Reds drew around 17,000 fans around this date, but averaged around 25,000 over the next 5 years when they were in contention most of those years.

09-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Why not? They are all still true.

09-13-2010, 11:06 PM
If you want a reason, look no further than here...

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/03/23/gabp3_zoom.jpg

GIDP
09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
I enjoy watching my TV, drinking as much of what ever I want, using the bathroom with out stepping in someone elses urine, watching replays, being able to switch between other things on TVs between innings. Just a few reasons why I dont go more often.

mlh1981
09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Why not? They are all still true.

Maybe.

But I remember the Brewers a few years ago (and even this year, to an extent, despite the losing) drawing huge crowds when it was apparent that they were in it for the long haul.

And I'd imagine that both markets are roughly around the same size.

09-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe.

But I remember the Brewers a few years ago (and even this year, to an extent, despite the losing) drawing huge crowds when it was apparent that they were in it for the long haul.

And I'd imagine that both markets are roughly around the same size.

On Sept. 12th, 2007, the first year the Brewers were in contention (they were tied for first at the time), they drew around 10,000 fans. It wasn't until the next season that they started to draw around 30,000 a game, every game.

And the Reds really aren't in a pennant race this year... again, although for completely different and better reasons. :)

mlh1981
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
You guys make some pretty good points.

I guess it will just take more of the same thing.

bagz
09-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I enjoy watching my TV, drinking as much of what ever I want, using the bathroom with out stepping in someone elses urine, watching replays, being able to switch between other things on TVs between innings. Just a few reasons why I dont go more often.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I feel the same way as I guess a lot of fans do. It's just so much more comfortable at home. I think it;s also the bad economy. Technology has created this situation. When you can watch the game on a big screen tv with air conditioning and all the comforts of your domain at your beck(I couldn't have spelled that right:D) and call it's just no contest.

GIDP
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Plus for younger fans finding people who want to go with you some times is more of a hassle than its worth. You have to plan these things when most of your friends are working class or college kids.

justincredible
09-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Plus for younger fans finding people who want to go with you some times is more of a hassle than its worth. You have to plan these things when most of your friends are working class or college kids.

I just go by myself.

The only reason I didn't go tonight is because the Jets were on MNF.

But I fully understand why people don't go to the ballpark.

arkimadee
09-13-2010, 11:53 PM
i love going to the park.. i went tonight.. it was a very fun game... monday is one of our better nights of the week... tonight wwe raw was across the road.. that could have had an affect. i cant really control why people dont go.. nor do i worry about it. i think if we build a consistent winner, fans will be there... i understand it is important for revenue purposes, but tv ratings also help a big deal too.

JKam
09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Perhaps the first night of Monday Night Football this season?

Jefferson24
09-14-2010, 12:33 AM
against a team few Cincinnatian's care about.

The team Cincinnatian's should be caring about is always playing every time there is a home game. It shouldn't matter who is in town.

This city has got its self a winner! They need to show up and enjoy it.

If I lived a little closer than 6 hours I would be there a bunch.

webbbj
09-14-2010, 02:08 AM
anyone think they will sell out playoff games?

ThornWithin81
09-14-2010, 03:33 AM
I honestly think the games need to be cheaper. The comfort of home PLUS the amount of money you save just watching a game in front of your big screen outweighs the novelty/enjoyment of being in the actual ballpark.

Also, it has been a hot, hot summer. Most of the games I've been to were unpleasant. I think that the solution is to drop prices on the upper-upper deck seats down to basically nothing, provide multi-game incentives (IE - buy five games get one free) and find a way to reduce concession prices or openly encourage fans to bring in their own coolers.

Why the hell would I pay 4.50 for a bottle of water while I'm sweating my arse off when I can drink glass after glass for free in air conditioning with no crying kids or loud mouthed drunks to distract me from the game?

OSUredsFAN
09-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I honestly think the games need to be cheaper. The comfort of home PLUS the amount of money you save just watching a game in front of your big screen outweighs the novelty/enjoyment of being in the actual ballpark.

Also, it has been a hot, hot summer. Most of the games I've been to were unpleasant. I think that the solution is to drop prices on the upper-upper deck seats down to basically nothing, provide multi-game incentives (IE - buy five games get one free) and find a way to reduce concession prices or openly encourage fans to bring in their own coolers.

Why the hell would I pay 4.50 for a bottle of water while I'm sweating my arse off when I can drink glass after glass for free in air conditioning with no crying kids or loud mouthed drunks to distract me from the game?

The ticket prices are already one of cheapest in the league. As for the weather, other teams have no problem getting people to attend. People are going to the game in Texas and St Louis, its hot there too. And people CAN bring in coolers into GABP, so thats no excuse.

Moosie52
09-14-2010, 07:22 AM
The ticket prices are already one of cheapest in the league. As for the weather, other teams have no problem getting people to attend.

There are 10 other MLB teams averaging fewer fans per game at home than the Reds, and there are another handful that are just ahead of the Reds.

Captain13
09-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I honestly think the games need to be cheaper. I think that the solution is to drop prices on the upper-upper deck seats down to basically nothing, provide multi-game incentives (IE - buy five games get one free) and find a way to reduce concession prices or openly encourage fans to bring in their own coolers.

Upper deck and bleacher seats are $5 and $7 dollars, basically free. They allow coolers (it would be bad marketing to "encourage" them). I bring my own sandwich and a couple bottles of water per person. My wife and I went and spent $10 on tickets (total) and $10 to park. It cost me as much in gas to come up from Louisville as I spent on the Reds. The economy (or cost in general) is NO excuse.

Fon Duc Tow
09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
ever notice how it is always the out of town fans complaining about attendance?

arkimadee
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Do the reds promote home games on local tv stations in Cincinnati?? Maybe a little money spent on advertising with the news stations would help. if they paid for a spot in the 6 o'clock news maybe families would be watching and say, "you know what, that is a good idea. lets go to the ballpark." it works with the fast food ads

mlh1981
09-14-2010, 07:21 PM
ever notice how it is always the out of town fans complaining about attendance?

What are you trying to say?

GIDP
09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
What are you trying to say?

that out of town fans see a chance to be holier than thou and take it.

RED59
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM

jhc2010
09-20-2010, 01:24 AM
My wife and I went and spent $10 on tickets (total) and $10 to park.
Next time just park for free at a meter. They are all free after 5 PM.