PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Factor

Spazzrico
04-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I noticed on MLB At Bat that they include a "Nasty Factor" on each pitch. Any thoughts on how this is calculated? I get the sense that Speed, Location, and break are all a factor, but it doesn't seem to consistent to me.

GIDP
04-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Im not sure what that means either. Probably just some stat they want to promote and some how make a dollar off it.

alcroke
04-07-2011, 03:20 PM
The Nasty Factor evaluates several properties of each pitch, and rates the "nastiness" of the pitch on a scale from 0-100, based in part on the success or failure of opposing hitters against previous similar pitches. The Nasty Factor incorporates several different factors for each pitch, including:

Velocity — The greater the pitch's velocity — as compared to that pitcher's and the league's range of speed for that pitch type — the greater the nastiness;
Sequence — The more the pitcher mixes up his pitches, the greater the nastiness… and certain pitch sequences are nastier than others, too;
Location — The closer to the edges of the strike zone is, the greater the nastiness, while pitches closer to the middle of the plate, and farther away outside the strike zone, decrease in nastiness;
Movement — The more movement the pitcher applies to the pitch — as compared to that pitcher's and the league's range of movement for that pitch type — the greater the nastiness.
The Nasty Factor also adjusts for how often the pitcher has faced the current batter during the game, as well as how often he has used the same pitch type against the same batter in the current at-bat and previously in the game.

texasdave
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Can you go back and look that up? I think it would be interesting to see how Nastiness Factor correlates to results.

redssince75
04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
The Nasty Factor evaluates several properties of each pitch, and rates the "nastiness" of the pitch on a scale from 0-100, based in part on the success or failure of opposing hitters against previous similar pitches. The Nasty Factor incorporates several different factors for each pitch, including:

Velocity — The greater the pitch's velocity — as compared to that pitcher's and the league's range of speed for that pitch type — the greater the nastiness;
Sequence — The more the pitcher mixes up his pitches, the greater the nastiness… and certain pitch sequences are nastier than others, too;
Location — The closer to the edges of the strike zone is, the greater the nastiness, while pitches closer to the middle of the plate, and farther away outside the strike zone, decrease in nastiness;
Movement — The more movement the pitcher applies to the pitch — as compared to that pitcher's and the league's range of movement for that pitch type — the greater the nastiness.
The Nasty Factor also adjusts for how often the pitcher has faced the current batter during the game, as well as how often he has used the same pitch type against the same batter in the current at-bat and previously in the game.

And who or what can evaluate all these factors in the few seconds between pitches? Seems like smoke & mirrors to me.

bshall2105
04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Im not sure what that means either. Probably just some stat they want to promote and some how make a dollar off it.

Does anybody know why GIDP doesn't post anymore?