PDA

View Full Version : No save for Cordero Wednesday?

Slick
04-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Wednesday night when the Reds won 6-4, they brought Cordero in with one out and a 6-3 lead and the announcers indicated he was being brought in for the save situation. However, Cordero has not been credited with a save for that game. My understanding of the rule is that if the lead is more than 3 it is not a save situation but if a reliever gives up runs to get the lead to 3 or less and another pitcher is brought on, regardless of the score at the start of the inning, that it then becomes a save situation for that pitcher. In fact I have watched many games where that has happened and the last pitcher does get credit for the save. Masset gave up a 2-run home run to get it to 6-3, then he struck out the next batter. They then replaced him with Cordero and he also gave up a run but they won 6-4, so why does the fact it was 6-1 entering the inning alter that? I understand if Cordero started the inning with more than a 3 run lead but that was not the case. Thoughts from anyone else?

The main reason I ask is becuase I have him on my fantasy team and I didn't get the save!:p:

ian_madden
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Me too... I need every save i can get.

Cant Touch This
04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
You must pitch a full inning or have the tying run on deck when entering with a three-run lead.

mroby85
04-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, they said during the game on FSN last night they were wrong when they thought it was a save opportunity. I also have Cordero, and was wondering why I wasn't credited with the save, too bad yahoo's fantasy baseball scorers aren't as uneducated on the issue as Thom and Welsh, lol jk.

GIDP
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Same thing happened last year and no one knew the rule then either.

Slick
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Forgot about the rule of having to start the inning or coming in with the tying run at least on deck. Makes sense now.... thanks for clearing it up. Could have used that save!

mroby85
04-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Forgot about the rule of having to start the inning or coming in with the tying run at least on deck. Makes sense now.... thanks for clearing it up. Could have used that save!

I know the feeling, my other closer is Billy Wagner, and the Braves haven't won a game in ages, let alone a save opportunity, lol.

LeDoux
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I might be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that someone in the Reds dugout didn’t have the rule in mind when they make the call to the bullpen.

ian_madden
05-01-2010, 09:28 AM
I know the feeling, my other closer is Billy Wagner, and the Braves haven't won a game in ages, let alone a save opportunity, lol.

HAHA!!!! me too! I have the same bullpen.:beerme:

Griffey012
05-01-2010, 10:33 AM

At least you didn't use a decent draft pick on Jonathan Broxton only to have him get 1 save in the first 20 games.