PDA

View Full Version : Phillips double in the 3rd

Cant Touch This
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I didn't get the benefit of the replay, but it sure looked like Brandon stared down that double off the wall coming out of the batters box and didn't really start running until he realized he might be able to leg out a triple. By then it was too late.

I had a haunting suspicion at the time that his failure to get to third there would come back to bite the Reds, and it did. There was 1 out at the time, and had he reached third, he could have walked home on Votto's deep flyout. Instead, he was stranded at second and the Reds didn't score in the inning.

They went on to lose by 1.

Just grinds my gears because the Phillips of 2006 would have shot out of the box like a cannon, ensuring the triple. The superstar of 2010 dogged it and got burnt. Funny what money does to a player...

Incidentally, I really like Brandon Phillips. I was wondering if perhaps even he was pissed at himself for not running hard from the start. It just seems the Reds need every advantage they can get, so there simply is no room for dogging anything on this team.

mattfeet
05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I love Phillips, but he does this way too often. Someone needs to sit down and have a chat with him.

-Matt

BigPoppa
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
He did this the other day in Houston, when he hit a fly ball to center that dropped between Bourn and Pence.....had he busted out of the box, he would have extra bases.

BP's frequent pauses to stare at balls he thinks will be out always cost us bases.

This habit of his consistently chaps Marty's ass, too.

GIDP
05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7836405

this is the play, honestly I dont think he loafed it all that much.

Cant Touch This
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM

There's been much worse, no doubt. But he definitely didn't get out of the box quickly and he most certainly didn't turn on the jets until it was too late. Point being: if that ball came off Adam Rosales' bat, it would have been a triple. And Phillips is faster than Rosales.

I hate to be critical about it, but the more I think about how much these players get paid to play baseball....it just kills me when I see mental lapses like this. I mean, when you break it down that he got paid about $11,500 for that single at bat. For that kind of compensation, players should be busting their entitled arses out of the box on every single ball that comes off the bat between the lines, and if they don't, I entirely support a system of fines. Earn your money, otherwise, give it back.

swaisuc
05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't have much to add other than Brandon Phillips is very, very hard to root for these days.

Cant Touch This
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't have much to add other than Brandon Phillips is very, very hard to root for these days.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt because I think Phillips is a very likable guy. He's cordial with the fans and is very visible at events like Redsfest, and it's hard for me to not like the guy.

It's just a shame that as his career blossomed, he began to buy into the philosophy that hustle is on an as-needed basis only and that it's okay to take a play off here and there. That's why I would love to see a system of fines in place to remind him and others that, really, it's not okay. Not okay at all. And the fines should be directly proportional to the players' salaries: (i.e. say that violation costs you .5% of your salary, so if Janish did that, he should get fined about $2000 while the same infraction would cost Phillips almost $35K.) That'll learn 'em...

GIDP
05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
There's been much worse, no doubt. But he definitely didn't get out of the box quickly and he most certainly didn't turn on the jets until it was too late. Point being: if that ball came off Adam Rosales' bat, it would have been a triple. And Phillips is faster than Rosales.

I hate to be critical about it, but the more I think about how much these players get paid to play baseball....it just kills me when I see mental lapses like this. I mean, when you break it down that he got paid about $11,500 for that single at bat. For that kind of compensation, players should be busting their entitled arses out of the box on every single ball that comes off the bat between the lines, and if they don't, I entirely support a system of fines. Earn your money, otherwise, give it back.

Yea no doubt he didnt run out of the box but I just wanted to show that some people probably think he stood there and watched it for 5 seconds. I just want to make it clear it wasnt so cut and dry.

Cant Touch This
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Yea no doubt he didnt run out of the box but I just wanted to show that some people probably think he stood there and watched it for 5 seconds. I just want to make it clear it wasnt so cut and dry.

Fair enough. I should have been more clear that it wasn't that he stood posing in the box - it was that from the time he finished his swing until about the time he was halfway between first and second, he was nowhere close to full speed. Inexcusable in my opinion.

texasdave
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Just enough to cost the Reds a run.

Griffey012
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM

He is on the Reds, he is easy to root for. You may night be a big fan of his but it's still easy to root for him to perform.

bgwilly31
05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Just enough to cost the Reds a run.

lol. The announcers last night was thinking triple all the way. They were surprised to see only a double.

goreds2
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Phillips did not speak to reporters after the game.

From Fays blog:

Baker talked to Phillips — again Posted by jfay May 5th, 2010, 10:28 am

Brandon Phillips’ lack of hustle on the ball off the wall last night was addressed. Phillips ended up with a double, instead of a triple, likely costing the Reds a run.

“He’s been talked to about this,” Dusty Baker said. “We’ve talked to Brandon quite often.

“I guess he’s better than he used to be. We’re trying to get him to the point where he can be a big difference maker every day. He certainly has the skill and ability.”

Is it hard for Baker to watch?

“What’s tough as a manager is when you’ve got an A student who’s getting Bs,” Baker said.

I tried to talk to Phillips. He did not want to talk about it last night. He did give me one quote. However, I can’t use it here.

Jack Burton
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
These are the types of things that cost you baseball games, Griffey was a culprit of these actions as well. Phillips needs to be moved. I hate a showboat, and you look like even more of a fool when it doesn't go over the fence.

Too bad they all can't play the game like Pete.

jimbo
05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Phillips needs to be moved. I hate a showboat, and you look like even more of a fool when it doesn't go over the fence.

I'm not so sure it has to do with showboating or lack of hustle, rather Phillips has developed a bad habit, and we all know how difficult it can be to rid ourselves of those habits.

When I played high school ball, I had a bad habit of flinging the bat around, instead of just dropping it, after I hit the ball, almost hitting the umpire on several occasions. I got warned multiple times for it, but had an awful time breaking it. You're just so focused on your at-bat.

I'm not defending Brandon's actions, just trying to come up with an explanation rather than the assumptions that he just isn't hustling, which I don't think is the case here.

Caveman Techie
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
That's why I would love to see a system of fines in place to remind him and others that, really, it's not okay. Not okay at all. And the fines should be directly proportional to the players' salaries: (i.e. say that violation costs you .5% of your salary, so if Janish did that, he should get fined about $2000 while the same infraction would cost Phillips almost $35K.) That'll learn 'em...

I would support this type of system. I think the fine should be 1/162 of his salary. That way he loafed on a play and didn't run it out, then fine you don't get paid for that game. Keep loafing and you don't get paid for any game you don't run out a fly ball or a homerun that doesn't go over the wall.

Red in Atl
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Like a fine matters to millionaires? Really.

I say everyone in the park should scream..."Ruuunnn Brandon" in their best Jenny, AKA Robin Wright from Forrest Gump, voice every time he hits the ball until he learns to hustle!

Redus
05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
have someone chase him around the bases with a taser:p: