PDA

View Full Version : Reds Broadcasters and Food

Jerome
05-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I listen to a lot of random games at work besides the Reds, and I don't think I ever hear broadcasters have discussions about food, much less dedicate innings to it as do Thom, Cowboy and Chris. Thom is the linchpin for food banter, usually after he makes a pitch for Kroger or JTM, which he is contractually obligated to do, but then he continues blabbering on about it. Guys, we get it, you probably eat free JTM before/during/after every game and you feel that it's cool and manly to talk meat, but guess what--I don't have JTM at the moment. I'm eating a PB&J and yogurt, so stop the torture, PLEASE.

bounty37h
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I still dont even know what jtm is, spam?

sivman17
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
I still dont even know what jtm is, spam?

Beef patties... hamburgers

RedsFan74
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
JTM = Just Turtle Meat

HalMorrisRules
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Beef patties... hamburgers

Used to be excellent beef patties but when they messed with them a few years back and made them pre-cooked they ruined them. I called them about the change and someone was supposed to call me back and let me know why they changed. Never heard from them. Now they never hear from me or my dollars.

mattfeet
05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Just a Tad of Meat

JTM

NeilHamburger
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Does anyone here honestly believe all these announcers making over 6 figures are eating JTM's? I mean come on.

I mean, I'm just out of college and even I can afford ground beef.

Vottomatic
05-05-2010, 05:32 PM
I've never cared much for JTM. Even going back to the 80's and 90's. I thought it was way overrated.

bgwilly31
05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I tried it awhile back after hearing all the hoopla on the reds station. Didnt like it much at all.

Now them john morrell hot dogs on the other hand.

brachial pleXUs
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I haven't had a JTM burger since I was a kid in the 90's, and I hated them. Dried out really fast, no flavor.

KySteveH
05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
The way they talk about JTM make me slightly nauseous sometimes. I'll have to defer to one of you Cincinnati-ians, but the thought of pre-formed "meat" patties being some kind of special gormet treat just doesn't make sense.

Last night, though, went beyond ridiculous. For a solid inning, they were talking about nothing but how wonderful the JTM company was. I must have heard "a family company" 20 times during the inning. Seriously, they process animal parts into patties; it's not like they are curing cancer.

But yeah, I agree when they are not discussing JTM, it's ice cream or barbecue, or whatever.

Jr's Boy
05-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Seriously, they process animal parts into patties; it's not like they are curing cancer.

Lol,nice one.

Jr's Boy
05-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah I kinda cringe at the thought of a beef hoagie kit.

BigJohn
05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQpX--WRz0

You asked for it!!!!!!!!

http://www.jtmfoodgroup.com/companyhistory.asp

bounty37h
05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
ugh, ralph.

Jerry Narron
05-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Thom does seem quite obsessed with Jeff Brantley's eating habits.

goreds2
05-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I listen to a lot of random games at work besides the Reds, and I don't think I ever hear broadcasters have discussions about food, much less dedicate innings to it as do Thom, Cowboy and Chris.

I love to hear the COWBOY talk about food. I like the story of him going to Montgomery Inn. He ordered dinner for there then had the waiter do a seperate order to go for him to eat at midnight. :laugh:

killuminati35
05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this question doesn't warrant it's own, so here it goes:

I'm fairly new to Reds radio. Why does Marty just leave and let Brantley take over the PBP every couple of innings? I don't get it. What does he do? I like Marty, but why can't he work a full game?

BigPoppa
05-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Thom and Chris presently making verbal love to some pizza joint in Newport.

BigPoppa
05-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this question doesn't warrant it's own, so here it goes:

I'm fairly new to Reds radio. Why does Marty just leave and let Brantley take over the PBP every couple of innings? I don't get it. What does he do? I like Marty, but why can't he work a full game?

Marty's got enough time in to write his breaks into his contract. I heard him say in an interview that he'll go to the bathroom, get some ice cream, and read a newspaper.

I think sometimes he stays in the booth and just doesn't say much. I've heard him interject a few times when he was supposed to be on break.

goreds2
05-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Marty has always did that format since he started with the Reds in 1974. Not too many radio play by play announcers do the complete game, if any.

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 01:19 AM
The Reds Play-by-Play guy (95% of the time, Marty) always turns the mic over to the Color guy (75% of the time, Jeff) during the 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings.

Knowing this, you can begin to guess at what inning the game is in when you randomly turn the radio on.

The Color guy also calls the 10th inning, should the game go that far. Back in the day, you would get the occasional "And this one belongs to the Reds" from Joe Nuxhall after a walk-off 10th inning win. I don't think any of the current guys in Joe's seat say that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but at some point last season I remember hearing Jim Kelch say, "And in the words of the Hall of Famer, this one belongs to the Reds."