PDA

View Full Version : Who else has been to PNC Park for Reds vs. Pirates?

mlh1981
05-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Never seen anything like it. I've been to several Reds/Pirates games over the years, and the crowds just keep getting smaller and smaller. The worst atmosphere in baseball. I commend Pirates fans who keep coming back for that product year after year, all 50 of them.

It's just absolutely shocking how baseball is so irrelevant in that city. I actually lived there for a few years. (Understandably) No buzz on the streets, noone wearing Pirates gear that isn't actually at the stadium, and anger/negativity has turned into complete apathy. Noone boos or gets angry. They just seemingly go out of habit, or because the park is nice.

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 12:59 AM
I have been planning on going for a few years now -- it's less than 3 hours from here in the Columbus area.

Kingspoint
05-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Heisey's family and friends saw his first hit and first homerun.

That was cool....and a REDS' win.

Spazzrico
05-12-2010, 08:27 AM
PNC is such a waste of an amazing stadium. Shame.

shredda2000
05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I was at PNC a few years ago. It is a wonderful stadium. My best memory was Griffey getting a double on his first at bat. I stood up and cheered and then realized I was sitting with a bunch of Pirates fans (including my son and sister)! Imagine that, me dressed in my Reds fan shirt in a sea of yellow and black! And of course, I saw "the mayor" hit a homerun late in the game while with the Reds and saw a whole section stand up and cheer for him. I assume these were his family and friends.

Overall it was a good experience. The Pirates fans were nice and it is one of my great memories of Reds baseball. They won 7-3 that day.

arkimadee
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm glad Pittsburgh has been crappy for so long because typically the Cubs, Astros, Cards and Brewers are good. If the Pirates were good too there would be no weakness in the division from year to year. Plus everytime I think of Pittsburgh it reminds me of the Steelers and I can't feel sorry for them. They also have the Penguins which is good year in and year out.

sivman17
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I was there a couple weeks ago, the game where Co-Co blew the save and we lost the game. Great stadium, but basically apathetic fans.

It's really amazing considering the large fan base for the Steelers.. but I guess that's what happens one team wins 2 SBs in 5 years and the other team has 18 straight losing seasons.

muddie
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I watched the game on television last night and was awestruck at how empty the park was. I guess my question is, how does the city get these places built with, I assume taxpayer money, and no one ever shows up?

I thought about the history Cincy and Pittsburgh have in baseball and it is sad that no one cares to attend.

bounty37h
05-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm glad Pittsburgh has been crappy for so long because typically the Cubs, Astros, Cards and Brewers are good. If the Pirates were good too there would be no weakness in the division from year to year. Plus everytime I think of Pittsburgh it reminds me of the Steelers and I can't feel sorry for them. They also have the Penguins which is good year in and year out.

How long have the Brews typically been good?? Did I miss something, they ahve been better last couple seasons, but I put them in consideration with Reds and Pirates over last decade+, bottom half of division.

krm1580
05-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I went to the game on 4/17 and was shocked out how big the crowd was especially considering it was 40 degrees at game time. Then I found out it was fireworks game and I was shocked at how small the crowd was for a fireworks night.

Aside from the fact that they have stunk for nearly two decades, I think another reason for the apathy is it has been a long, long time since they have had any players that generate buzz or excitement.

They have drafted in the top 10 pretty much every year in the last decade and the yield from that has been Andrew McCutchen and a handful of soft tossing #5 starters. Their best player has probably been Jason Bay, who is solid but not spectacular. Pedro Alvarez might turn into that guy, but they really don't have much besides him.

I know the Reds went through a phase like that when the major league team stunk and the farm system was bare, but nearly two decades of that will wear down any fan base.

1990REDS
05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I was schocked on tuesday when they said there was a little over 9000 people there. On tv it seriously looked like there were about 500 people thier. At 1st pitch you could only see 2 fans behind home plate!! 2 FANS!!! Thats crazy.

brm7675
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
On Monday nights game you have to remember that their NHL team was playing game 6 of a playoff game which will keep fans home, PLUS there was 14,000 at the arena watching WWE. Then on Tuesday night it was bad wet and cold.

Billy Bates
05-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I was at the Tuesday night game (I was at a conference that gave everyone free tickets - I think I was the only person who got excited about it). It rained hard the entire day, and didn't let up until 5:30 or so. We gave an usher $5 to wipe off two seats and sat right behind home plate. No way there was more than 1000-1200 there total. You could hear every person in the stadium. It had the feel of a HS game

Moosie52
05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I went for a weekend series in September a few years ago. We stayed at the Springhill Suites right next to the park. The Penguins were holding training camp at the Igloo the same weekend, so we went to the rink in the mornings and returned to PNC for the baseball games. WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND! Friday night's game got called due to a downpour during the game, so Saturday we had a double header. The play I most remember was Sean Casey about getting his arm ripped off by a guy running past first base.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I was at the Tuesday night game (I was at a conference that gave everyone free tickets - I think I was the only person who got excited about it). It rained hard the entire day, and didn't let up until 5:30 or so. We gave an usher $5 to wipe off two seats and sat right behind home plate. No way there was more than 1000-1200 there total. You could hear every person in the stadium. It had the feel of a HS game

So, you saw the greatest pitching performance by a RED since Tom Browning's Perfect Game.

One of the few REDS fans who will ever be able to say that.

Are you old enough and lucky enough to have been at Tom Browning's perfect game, too?

RedLegsToday
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Since I don't have Old Guard posting priviledges, I was hoping someone could post the following in the .300/.400/.500 thread, where they are now talking about Eric Davis:

IN 1987, Eric hit his 20th homerun of season on June 5, getting him to the 20-20 plateau in the team's 53rd game! I don't know of a way to check that, but, it has to be the quickest anyone has ever reached 20hr and 20 sb in a season.

Billy Bates
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
So, you saw the greatest pitching performance by a RED since Tom Browning's Perfect Game.

One of the few REDS fans who will ever be able to say that.

Are you old enough and lucky enough to have been at Tom Browning's perfect game, too?

Kingspoint, I didn't really think about it that way until you mentioned it. Cueto was locked in (Janish was about a half step away from making a play on Cedeno's ball). I was only 7 when Browning threw his perfect game - I have lots of Reds memories from that age, but they're kind of fuzzy. I laughed when I saw the announced attendance was 9,000 on Tuesday night. If you take out the ppl from the conference and the group of 50 kids sitting behind home plate, the attendance was easily under 1000