PDA

View Full Version : Thanks... But No Thanks

TheNext44
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Not really sure what this new "Thanks" button is all about, but I'm not thrilled that on our info section on the left of each post it lists how many times we've been thanked.

Reminds me too much of my answering machine back in college that always had a bright blinking "0" on it. At least the "Thanks" count doesn't say outloud "You Have Zero Thanks" every time I post something.

paintmered
05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
This has too much of a "rep points" part deux feel for me. I just hope it doesn't take on a life of its own.

And the box added to the bottom of each post when someone thanks a post takes up way too much real estate. Would it still serve a purpose if everything wasn't so public?

GIDP
05-13-2010, 12:52 AM
I was going to thank you but I didnt want to cause any commotion.

reds44
05-13-2010, 05:06 AM
I think we need a sarcastic "THANKS" button too. It needs to be in all caps, for occasionals when something terribly obvious is said.

"Cueto pitched well on Tuesday."
"THANKS"

Boss-Hog
05-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Below is a description of what it does.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673

I added a poll to this thread to determine if we should keep it. It's very easy to remove if you guys vote that way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

RBA
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
What high paying desk jockey thought this up? ;)

In reality, it's another reputation system and it is not necessary. If someone wants to say "thanks" they could PM that member or respond in that thread; we don't need a tote board.

nate
05-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Only if we can have a "No Thanks" button to go with it!

:cool:

Brutus
05-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I think it's a neat little feature. It is a nice way to express appreciation for quality, informative or thought-provoking posts. I think it's a nice addition to the forums that doesn't take too much away from the appearance.

05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I think it's a nice feature, as long as noose really starts to care about it.

Mu union has a message board, and they tried the rep system for a while. One guy complained so much about getting neg rep that the admin gace him a rep score of positive 2 million.

Unassisted
05-13-2010, 10:14 AM
IMO, it's a good tool for encouraging the kind of posts we want to see more of. I like it.

Eric_the_Red
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
I like it too. If you feel bad about not being thanked enough, maybe you should post more items worthy of recoginition. I don't see how it hurts to thank someone for their efforts. Seems like the kind of thing we could use more of these days.

Sea Ray
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
IMO, it's a good tool for encouraging the kind of posts we want to see more of. I like it.

It's another tool for butt kissin' :thumbdown

yab1112
05-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm not such a fan of it. IMHO, it gives off the feeling of competition and it just rubs me the wrong way. Was that the problem with the old rep system? (I wasn't around back then)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with a little appreciation for a good post. But I don't see anything wrong with doing it the way it was being done, namely - writing your own post saying "thanks."

In fact, that way probably encourages people to contribute more to the board. It often starts with something to the effect of "nice post, thanks for that" and then continues with their own thoughts on the matter.

Unassisted
05-13-2010, 11:25 AM
It's another tool for butt kissin' :thumbdownWhat other method is there to encourage the kind of posts we want to see in the baseball forum that we can't post in? An attaboy PM is the only one I can think of. IMO, that would be "butt-kissin'" and more effort than 99% of us would be willing to expend.

Boss-Hog
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I guess the above posts made if clear that a Facebook style "Like" add-on wouldn't be welcomed in the Thanks system's place. ;)

Chip R
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Maybe if the thanked stats would be visable to that particular poster. Like I could see my results but no one else could.

Cedric
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
What's so wrong with a little ego stroking? I kid I kid...

KoryMac5
05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I think we need a sarcastic "THANKS" button too. It needs to be in all caps, for occasionals when something terribly obvious is said.

"Cueto pitched well on Tuesday."
"THANKS"

The sarcastic THANKS could be more like a THAAAAANKS button. I could see that being used a lot on RedsZone.

Caveat Emperor
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe if the thanked stats would be visable to that particular poster. Like I could see my results but no one else could.

I like that.

And, personally, I like the feature. I just wish there was a way to do it without taking up so much real-estate.

TheNext44
05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I like that.

And, personally, I like the feature. I just wish there was a way to do it without taking up so much real-estate.

Ditto. Or should I just "thank" you? ;)

defender
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
By giving your users the extra feature, you forum will look allot nice and organized. It is a guaranteed liking by ALL the members of your forum.

That should settle it.

jmcclain19
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
It's an interesting concept. Personally I liked the parts of the Rep system we had here at one time. Lots of people say interesting or thought provoking posts here, and I like telling them that without having to type up a PM everytime it happens. A Quick hit of a button telling them so was nice, clean and easy. I could do without the negative parts and without the broadcasting of your rep points, that always leads to abuse and issues.

If you could figure out a way to make it less public - IE not show up in the threads but just to let the users know I think this could be a push in the right direction.

Also FYI - The Reds Away theme which I always use doesn't have a graphic button setup for the Thanks yet.

REDREAD
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
If you need your ego stoked, I am going to thank everyone in this thread.

If this is considered abuse (it is meant as good hearted humor) I will stop.

GOYA
05-13-2010, 04:52 PM
A "You're Welcome" button?

Or maybe a "No, Thank YOU" button?

Brutus
05-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I prefer a "that's what she said" button.

TC81190
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I prefer a "that's what she said" button.
Let's start a group for that on here, if we get a million members, then it has to be implemented.

Boss-Hog
05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
We can disable the stats in the postbit (meaning when a user creates a post in a thread below their user name) as well as in the profile but I don't see a way to remove anything else.

Red in Chicago
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
me no likey:thumbdown

Joseph
05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Me likely.

As Jean Luc-Picard would say, make it so.

nate
05-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm guessing it's not an option but is it possible to configure so if you like it, you can use it and see it and if you don't, you can turn it off and not be bothered?

Boss-Hog
05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing it's not an option but is it possible to configure so if you like it, you can use it and see it and if you don't, you can turn it off and not be bothered?
You can disallow it off for certain user groups but I don't believe we have the ability you mentioned.

yab1112
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
You can disallow it off for certain user groups but I don't believe we have the ability you mentioned.

If that's the case couldn't we create a new "no thanks" group and anyone who didn't want it could join it?

Boss-Hog
05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
If that's the case couldn't we create a new "no thanks" group and anyone who didn't want it could join it?
That could potentially be an option as long as we wouldn't have to manually add the members to a new group.

Ron Madden
05-14-2010, 02:46 AM
I have no problem with the new thank you feature one way or the other.

I can live with it or without it.

thatcoolguy_22
05-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Maybe instead of showing at the bottom who thanked the post, you could hyperlink the Thanks: 0 Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post and someone could see who thanked what. Just an idea to get around the real estate issue.

I liked the rep points in the past but am not a fan of the thanks for some reason. The thanked X out of X posts is the problem. Just show poster: Thanked X and end it. my .02

Mario-Rijo
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Not sure what to think about it overall. What I do know is it looks funky especially the big box underneath the post itself, it just looks cluttered. Is it neccessary to know who left the thanks? I mean it's nice to know your opinion is appreciated and a thanks is plenty, I don't need to know who it is but if they want they can pm me or even use the Visitor Message feature just by clicking on my name. I also don't know if the amount of different posts I have been thanked in is that meaningful.

So I guess at this point my suggestion would be to just knock it down to a thanks count alone if at all and take advantage of the visitor message area more to expound on thanks further.

reds1869
05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Another board I frequent uses this system and I really dislike it. The Thanks system there leads to a lot of needless clutter. It isn't a board killer, but it is certainly a distraction from the thread.

Brutus
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Another board I frequent uses this system and I really dislike it. The Thanks system there leads to a lot of needless clutter. It isn't a board killer, but it is certainly a distraction from the thread.

I honestly don't quite understand this. I certainly see where you're coming from, but the space it occupies is less than a few inches. When you're scrolling through a thread, it maybe takes half a second per post to scroll past it.

I do understand the aesthetics to it, but in the end, I think we all visit this site because of the discussion and the interaction more than the cosmetic look. The minimal clutter it causes, at least to me, seems like a rather small issue.

I guess I look at it like this: most of the people that like it, do so because they would find use in the feature. Most of the ones that don't are more worried about how it looks (I realize there are some that are concerned with the past reputation system). If we take it away, those that would like to use it can't. If we keep it, those that don't want to use it still don't have to do so.

macro
05-14-2010, 01:02 PM
To me it seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

RedFanAlways1966
05-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I agree with this.

Caveat Emperor
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Just as an aside, if the goal of this is just to let people give thanks and provide feedback to someone about posts, why don't we just re-start the Rep system and not tie it to access the way it used to be? Rep was handled behind the scenes, and you could check to see who had left you Rep without needing to scroll past boxes on the main thread.

What does the "Thanks" system accomplish that the Rep system did not?

Danny Serafini
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I absolutely hate it. It's nothing more than a space waster and page clutterer as far as I'm concerned. It just doesn't serve any useful purpose.

pedro
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't really like it either.

It's even worse than the rep system.

LoganBuck
05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't like it at all. I can't even try to look at Redszone on my phone because of this.

Boss-Hog
05-14-2010, 05:23 PM
All,

This has been removed due to the overwhelming majority that voted not to keep it.

RBA
05-14-2010, 05:48 PM
All,

This has been removed due to the overwhelming majority that voted not to keep it.

Thanks!

I wish I had a button to thank you. :)

Actually, thanks for allowing us to voice our opinions. :thumbup:

reds1869
05-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks!

I wish I had a button to thank you. :)

Actually, thanks for allowing us to voice our opinions. :thumbup:

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. This board is great because of the respectful manner in which we hold actual discussions. As we all know, polite debate is a rare thing on the internet an I'm glad we have this place. Thanks, Boss!

:beerme:

edabbs44
05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
All,

nm

Vottomatic
05-15-2010, 03:50 AM
I, frankly, don't get it. It seems like a forced butt-kissin'. I'd eliminate it.

RedsManRick
05-15-2010, 05:00 PM
The concept is good; the execution not so much. Something more along the lines of a thumbs up option could accomplish the same thing using a lot less space -- no need to see who gave the thumbs up. I really like the thumbs up/down system BP uses on their comment feeds.

jmcclain19
05-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Nothing wrong with trying new things from time to time Boss.

Keep testing - appreciate all your guys work on the site to make it better.

Sea Ray
05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
That didn't take long...We barely knew ye

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Now we've got "live topic"? Or has that been there before and I never noticed it?

Caveat Emperor
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Nothing wrong with trying new things from time to time Boss.

Keep testing - appreciate all your guys work on the site to make it better.

Agreed! I like seeing new features tested out. Some will be good, some won't, but it's nice to see the site continuing to evolve.

Redsfan320
05-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Now we've got "live topic"? Or has that been there before and I never noticed it?

No, it's definitely new. Perhaps it means something like "the last post was made by someone currently online," or "There has been some high number, i.e. 5 posts made in the thread in some recent time period, i.e. the last hour"

Just a couple theories.

Redsfan320
05-16-2010, 05:32 PM
It appears that if the last post was made in some very recent period, it becomes a "live topic".
My latest theory, with a bit of research.

paintmered
05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
It appears that if the last post was made in some very recent period, it becomes a "live topic".
My latest theory, with a bit of research.

From VBulletin:

Description:
This product is different from anything you have seen before, it raises the bar for forums. It will make your forums much more interactive, and also reduce server load.

Technical Details:
If a thread has been posted in X seconds then its now Live, if other users are viewing the Live topic and are on the last page they will experience a clean ajax experience while talking to other members. Once the thread is older than X seconds its no longer Live and it will now act like a normal thread. Also if a user edits one of their posts that's inside of the thread, it will be updated too so there is no longer a reason to ever have to refresh.

There is also logic for the viewer, the viewer of the thread has to be in an active state to see responses. An active user state is determined upon the users actions, if no actions were made in X seconds then the user is marked as inactive.

Also you may wonder why this could save your server bandwidth and CPU. If a user is refreshing to talk to another members the queries on a normal thread load are way more intense than the ajax call that this modification makes. So if you have 5 people talking to each other none of them have to refresh the page, all they are doing is simple page requests and one intense request when there has actual change.

You can test Live Topic with two users, you will see how amaizing this is... And probably spontaneously combust.

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2010, 10:57 AM

This is what I thought. I'm late to the party on this though

Unassisted
05-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Bummer. I just saw a post I liked and wanted to "thank" someone. Guess I'll keep my opinion to myself.

How about bringing back the rep system, with positive rep only (or no points) and only showing the incoming reps to the recipient? Nobody else needs to know that someone's post got repped.

RBA
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Bummer. I just saw a post I liked and wanted to "thank" someone. Guess I'll keep my opinion to myself.

You don't need a button to "thank" someone.

Unassisted
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM
You don't need a button to "thank" someone.
Read my earlier post on the subject. I said that 99% of us won't bother to do it otherwise. I'm in the 99%.