PDA

View Full Version : I have an odd suggestion...

TRF
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
And I think I am making it early enough.

Close the board down for the All Star Break.

give the board a rest. Let us be forced to do other things. the board can get pretty divisive, and I'm seeing a lot of posts with the words "take it private". I'm certainly guilty of the snarky tone at times myself.

So why not force a little vacation? better yet, And I certainly won't be the one to do it as it isn't my place to do so, why not make it a poll?

It's three days of no gnashing Dusty's lineups, no Stubbs can't hit, Homer can't pitch, why is Cairo here. Just a sigh that says we will reopen with a countdown clock.

Just an idea.

Brutus
05-13-2010, 12:24 PM
And I think I am making it early enough.

Close the board down for the All Star Break.

give the board a rest. Let us be forced to do other things. the board can get pretty divisive, and I'm seeing a lot of posts with the words "take it private". I'm certainly guilty of the snarky tone at times myself.

So why not force a little vacation? better yet, And I certainly won't be the one to do it as it isn't my place to do so, why not make it a poll?

It's three days of no gnashing Dusty's lineups, no Stubbs can't hit, Homer can't pitch, why is Cairo here. Just a sigh that says we will reopen with a countdown clock.

Just an idea.

I think you should take it private!

j/k

I think during the all-star break we should have an honorary Miguel Cairo day. That will really liven things up and get rid of the divisiveness, LOL.

edabbs44
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
I see the point, but that would be rough if this team continues playing well.

IowaRed
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM

let's plan on it then, good idea TRF

Redsfan320
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
It's like intervention for those who are addicted to the board... I understand the point but I'd like to be able to discuss the ASG with RZ, especially if any Reds are in it (which, since it's a requirement, there will be at least one). So I say no. But I understand the point.

edabbs44
05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
How about a button where you can voluntarily "suspend yourself" for a pre-determined amt of time? So your login doesn't work for a week or two?

GIDP
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm sure if anyone wants to suspend themselves a Mod will be happy. They have no problems banning me before :)

pedro
05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
How about a button where you can voluntarily "suspend yourself" for a pre-determined amt of time? So your login doesn't work for a week or two?

Like it.

I think TRF's suggestion is pretty interesting too.

edabbs44
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Just noticed he said for the ASB, not until the ASB.

My bad.

OnBaseMachine
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't like it. If you don't want to read the board for a few days then you can always log out and not visit the board for a couple days. I enjoy discussing the All-Star game, Home Run Derby, and the Future's Game during that three day perioid. Also, what if the Reds make a trade or something? IIRC, the Kearns/Lopez trade happened during the All-Star break.

Ron Madden
05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Leave RedsZone open for the All-Star break.

Take a few days off if you feel like, don't force a three day blackout on everyone else. (JMHO)

TRF
05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Sometimes you can take a break. And sometimes you need a break forced upon you. And this place is hard to walk away from for a lot of us.

I thought I'd throw the discussion out there as a possibility. I'm not even a mod, but I can see some nerves seem frayed.

LoganBuck
05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
No.

Razor Shines
05-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Sometimes you can take a break. And sometimes you need a break forced upon you. And this place is hard to walk away from for a lot of us.

I thought I'd throw the discussion out there as a possibility. I'm not even a mod, but I can see some nerves seem frayed.

Get off my back, I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to right now, but I have it under control.

Brutus
05-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Get off my back, I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to right now, but I have it under control.

Razor, we think you have a problem. This is an intervention for you to seek help.

LoganBuck
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Psst..... Razor, I got what you need. How about some OBP, and some SLG?

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
This is kinda like me with my kids. "shut off the TV's and computers and get outside!"

Actually I like the idea. Maybe just leave ONE thread open for all star game discussions.

TRF
07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
And thus endeth my four day self imposed exile. I did watch the ASG, got a bunch of work done, read two books by Jim Butcher. I loves me some Dresden Files. Worked a puzzle with my daughter. completed one fantasy baseball trade.

It isn't a bad thing to step away once and a while. but i have a bunch to catch up on. :)

TheNext44
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
And thus endeth my four day self imposed exile. I did watch the ASG, got a bunch of work done, read two books by Jim Butcher. I loves me some Dresden Files. Worked a puzzle with my daughter. completed one fantasy baseball trade.

It isn't a bad thing to step away once and a while. but i have a bunch to catch up on. :)

I once took a five day break from the internet and my cell phone all together. I highly recommend something like that to anyone who can afford to. Those 5 days were tough at first, but it really cleared my head and made me much more productive after that.

macro
07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I went on a 72-hour retreat about ten years ago where no phones, clocks, watches, radios, Internet, newspapers...no contact with the outside world...was allowed. It was amazing that, returning to the "real" world after only 72 hours, all those things seemed like such noise.

dougdirt
07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
You guys are crazy.

westofyou
07-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Once I went 30 some odd years without a cell phone, internet, gps and computers.

TheNext44
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Once I went 30 some odd years without a cell phone, internet, gps and computers.

Me too, and I hsve no idea how I survived. In fact, now, when I can't find the remote for my TiVo, I have a panic attack, and can't function until I find it.

That's why going a few days with technology was a godsend. It gave me my perspective back.

TRF
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I had my cable shut off about 10 months ago. Haven't really missed it too much.

I read 3 books in the last two weeks. Reading a Dresden files book now and I might start on the Catcher was a Spy soon. Plus another season of softball twice a week.