PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto Extension

NeilHamburger
05-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm sure the Reds have talked about, if not with Votto's agent, at least internally. He's under their control for 3 more years due to arbitration, and he'll get continually more expensive.

When do you seriously begin discussing an extension that would give him some security in case of a major injury while buying out his first 2 or so years of free agency?

No need to do it right now. But, if by the all star break he's still putting up his usual great numbers I try and sign him for about 5 years. Beyond that it's certainly debatable whether the Reds would be able to afford him and keep the rest of the team strong. But, I'd let some other team give him the huge, huge deal he'd then receive at about 31.

nemesis
05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Probably after they see what he gets in his first year of Arbitration. Help the team determine his increasing value.

I'd go 4 years $40 Mil buying out the last 2 years of Arbitration and first 2 years of Free Agency.

2012 $5mil 2013 $8mil 2014 $12mil 2015 $15mil

arkimadee
05-18-2010, 02:18 AM
I honestly think its good that Joey stays the way he is as far as stats go. If he started hitting 40 homers a year and driving in 120 runs it would be great but he would be Ryan Howard expensive and the reds would have to let him go.. If he continues the way he is, I think he would make around 10 million a year, something the reds can afford.$

UPRedsFan
05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
It may depend partly on their philosophy with Alonso. If they sign Votto to an extension then Alonso is clearly more expendable. Other GM's will know that and may pay less for him. If wonder if this plays into the timing at all.