PDA

View Full Version : Coffey on Gomes' HR

malcontent
05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
"No excuses. In that situation, to give up five runs is embarrassing," Coffey said. "Any pitch that is hit out for a home run is bad location. I haven't looked at it. It was a bad pitch."

Coffey's obviously not the meteorologist Harang is.

Redeye fly
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
"No excuses. In that situation, to give up five runs is embarrassing," Coffey said. "Any pitch that is hit out for a home run is bad location. I haven't looked at it. It was a bad pitch."

Coffey's obviously not the meteorologist Harang is.

I give credit to Coffey for manning up. But in Aaron's defense, the ball Gomes hit was much more likely to be a home run in many other parks aside from GABP, while both Pujols's homer and especially Ludwick's were much less likely to leave the yard in more of a pitcher's park, or even more neutral park. I didn't see where Aaron left the ball for Ludwick, but I know the ball he left for Pujols was indeed up, but it wouldn't have been a strike if Pujols had let it go by. I doubt Ludwick's in particular leaves the yard in too many other parks. Granted, it may or may not have been a jet stream thing. The television announcers themselves I know commented on how the wind was blowing out a little bit and that could have effected those balls. At any rate, jet stream or not, they were a couple of GABP specials. Gomes crushed his though.

KySteveH
05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
The pitch to Ludwick was, up, several inches out of the zone, IIRC.

malcontent
05-19-2010, 03:37 PM
The television announcers themselves I know commented on how the wind was blowing out a little bit and that could have effected those balls. At any rate, jet stream or not, they were a couple of GABP specials.

I didn't know the announcers had commented on the wind.

I guess I just can't handle what seems to me like one excuse after another from Harang. Keep the ball down and there's gonna be fewer "GABP specials". Both pitches were up. IMO, Pujols will probably take that pitch deep 7 out of 10 times. And wouldn't need a jet stream to do it.

Beside the excuses, I'm confused by Price's comment about Harang having 2 very good pitches that he's not using enough (I can only assume he means a curve and change). If that's really the case, why should it take the pitching coach to practically beg him to use them more? Especially after two years of futility?

texasdave
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I didn't know the announcers had commented on the wind.

I guess I just can't handle what seems to me like one excuse after another from Harang. Keep the ball down and there's gonna be fewer "GABP specials". Both pitches were up. IMO, Pujols will probably take that pitch deep 7 out of 10 times. And wouldn't need a jet stream to do it.

Beside the excuses, I'm confused by Price's comment about Harang having 2 very good pitches that he's not using enough (I can only assume he means a curve and change). If that's really the case, why should it take the pitching coach to practically beg him to use them more? Especially after two years of futility?

If Harang wants to be stubborn, call the pitches from the bench. End of story.

Kingspoint
05-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Beside the excuses, I'm confused by Price's comment about Harang having 2 very good pitches that he's not using enough (I can only assume he means a curve and change).

Is there any link for that? I'd love to read it or see it if I could.