PDA

View Full Version : Pitching to Heyward?

mivers176
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Anyone else wondering why we grooved a fastball to Heyward on that last ab last night? I'm not saying I wanted Masset to intentionally walk him or anything, but at least on that full count pitch I would NOT give their best hitter a meat ball - I would have thought a visit from the pitching coach / Dusty would happen saying that and lets take our chances with the next batter, even though its Chipper he's batting .234 on the season.

Either make Heyward chase and miss or hit something weakly or walk him and lets let Masset get Chipper instead.

anyone else agree?

mattfeet
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Im glad we didn't intentionally walk him due to having Chipper batting next, but I also think a different pitch should have been made.

-Matt

Jefferson24
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Word is that the pitch was a sinker that didn't sink, he didn't intend on throwing a meatball up there it just worked out that way.

mivers176
05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Im glad we didn't intentionally walk him due to having Chipper batting next, but I also think a different pitch should have been made.

-Matt

Yeah, like I said, not an intentional walk but something for sure outside of the strike zone completely, not borderline where a mistake can be made like what happened. Why give the guy hitting .288 w/ 8hr 29 rbi the chance to beat you when you could give Chipper the chance and he's hitting .234 with 2 and 11? i know its Chipper but its also 2010 and not 2005...oh well, its only one loss, but that just means we have to win today to keep confidence up.

GIDP
05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Accidents happen. People hit pitches that are accidents.

ian_madden
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I pitch to Hayward before I pitch to Chipper. Chipper is still the best player on that team. Marty said that Bruce was playing Hayward very shallow, was that to have a chance at throwing the runner out at the plate or did someone mess up there?

Also I believe it was a sinker that didn't sink. Same thing happened to me in my wiffleball league yesterday, game winning grand slam I gave up in the top of the last inning. Sinker didn't sink.

mroby85
05-20-2010, 11:01 AM
You also have to keep in mind Heyward needed an XBH to win the game, Chipper would've only needed a single. You had to go after Heyward in my opinion, it just didn't work out well.

bgwilly31
05-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I dont know what was going trhough massets head. Maybe he got big headed for a moment and thought he could throw one past him.

Who knows.

Either way we cant win all these close games. Lets just hope we come out today and win a ball game.

GIDP
05-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I pitch to Hayward before I pitch to Chipper. Chipper is still the best player on that team. Marty said that Bruce was playing Hayward very shallow, was that to have a chance at throwing the runner out at the plate or did someone mess up there?

Also I believe it was a sinker that didn't sink. Same thing happened to me in my wiffleball league yesterday, game winning grand slam I gave up in the top of the last inning. Sinker didn't sink.

they were playing deep to stop against the double. The only place Heyward could have hit that ball and scored that run was down the line and in the corner.

mattfeet
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
You also have to keep in mind Heyward needed an XBH to win the game, Chipper would've only needed a single. You had to go after Heyward in my opinion, it just didn't work out well.

Agreed.

-Matt