PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye First Place......thanks Dusty

Vottomatic
05-20-2010, 04:12 PM
It was fun while it lasted.

wojo1025
05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Mark this date down in your calendar. After winning so many games late, I'm afraid losing back to back in the bottom of the 9th - especially one in this fashion - could be the beginning of the end for this exciting ball club.

How does a team go 10+ games w/o an error, then have a day like today?

Fon Duc Tow
05-20-2010, 04:14 PM
It was a wild ride while it lasted.

:beerme:

winks
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm glad Dusty's wisdom kicked in today and took Arthur out the guy gets lefties out Big Time

sivman17
05-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Did anyone see B Phil walking off the field? The one guy that is always jovial and upbeat looked like he wanted to throw up. He looked so disheartened and upset.

They need to sweep the Indians this weekend or this could be like last year after Weathers gave up the grand slam to Pujols

SeeinRed
05-20-2010, 04:21 PM
The way this club responds to todays loss could tell you a lot. Hopefully they come out with a vengance like the did after the 14-7 loss to the Cubs. The game today was the toughest loss you could've imagined and couple that with yesterdays loss it looks even worse. I suspect that one of the veterans or even Dusty will have a talk with the team about the errors. This game should've been put away easily. Can't let up on a team that is down which is what appears to have happened today. I know there are a lot of people ready to jump on Dusty, but the game should've never gotten to that point. 4 errors. Just inexcusable. The one on Cairo cost the team a very likely double play that would've completely changed the game.

Anyway you look at it, this one hurts badly. Hopefully it is a learning experience and luckily it only goes for only one loss on the record at the end of the year.

stevekun
05-20-2010, 04:24 PM
We will see first again. The schedule favors us. Just breathe everyone

kyred14
05-20-2010, 04:26 PM
This season will go one way or the other after today. Still got alot of optimism about this team. Walt and co. really got to get the chaff known as Lincoln and Cairo off this team and pronto.

Still cant shake the visions of Mother's Day Massacre right now.

SeeinRed
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
This season will go one way or the other after today. Still got alot of optimism about this team. Walt and co. really got to get the chaff known as Lincoln and Cairo off this team and pronto.

Still cant shake the visions of Mother's Day Massacre right now.

Lincoln has been quite effective honestly. He has all but earned his place on the team and today doesn't change that. The only problem with him today is that he was left in for a third inning and for too long in that inning to boot. No way should he be faulted for that. His ERA will take a whacking, but I really don't see a reason to cut him.

kyred14
05-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Lincoln has been quite effective honestly. He has all but earned his place on the team and today doesn't change that. The only problem with him today is that he was left in for a third inning and for too long in that inning to boot. No way should he be faulted for that. His ERA will take a whacking, but I really don't see a reason to cut him.

Today Mike Lincoln was closer to being Mike Lincoln than he has all year. He is what he is. Not very good. Not to say today is his fault, you make 4 (should have been 5) errors you don't deserve to win.

brachial pleXUs
05-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Agreed. I never got the Lincoln hatred.

Ænima
05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Lincoln did nothing wrong... he shouldn't have been in the game past the first hit in the ninth inning to begin with.

Cairo has to go. Dusty has to start, you know, managing the game. That was awful.

Jack Burton
05-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Manager definitely deserves to be fired.

1990REDS
05-20-2010, 05:13 PM
thank god our next 10 games are against losing teams. if our next 10 were aginst the phillies cards and giants i would be horrified at were the season would be going.

Jack Burton
05-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Moves have to be made after a loss like this, heads need to roll.

BurgervilleBuck
05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
The Reds lost this game in a hamfisted way and made me sick. The errors, Cairo, Baker's ninth inning mismanagement, it all just makes me wanna vomit.

Still, I think brighter days are ahead.

SeeinRed
05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Today Mike Lincoln was closer to being Mike Lincoln than he has all year. He is what he is. Not very good.

Really? Lincoln has pitched quite well after a rough start. He is coming of surgery on his neck to fix an injury that really hindered him last season and possibly even 2008, which was the first he pitched after some serious arm issues and surgery. Sure he isn't going to give you lights out domination, but he has been a quite servicable relief pitcher this season and is probably the closest to healthy he has been in 5-6 years. This Mike Lincoln is more likely what he actually is than what the previous two seasons have shown.

I understood not wanting to bring him back after 2008 and even 2009, but I don't understand the thought process in cutting him when he has been far from being considered the problem with the Reds in 2010.

1990REDS
05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Really? Lincoln has pitched quite well after a rough start. He is coming of surgery on his neck to fix an injury that really hindered him last season and possibly even 2008, which was the first he pitched after some serious arm issues and surgery. Sure he isn't going to give you lights out domination, but he has been a quite servicable relief pitcher this season and is probably the closest to healthy he has been in 5-6 years. This Mike Lincoln is more likely what he actually is than what the previous two seasons have shown.

I understood not wanting to bring him back after 2008 and even 2009, but I don't understand the thought process in cutting him when he has been far from being considered the problem with the Reds in 2010.

i dont blame lincoln either. he pitched 2 solid innings. he should never pitch 3. dusty hung him out to dry on that one.

KySteveH
05-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Moves have to be made after a loss like this, heads need to roll.

We should start with yours, for gross overreaction. Take a deep breath, it's 1 of 162.

adampad
05-20-2010, 06:33 PM
The worst thing to happen to the Reds may be their recent success. It may have bought Dusty more time.

FlyerFanatic
05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
We should start with yours, for gross overreaction. Take a deep breath, it's 1 of 162.

i'm sure many said the same thing after the pujols homer off weathers. how did that turn out?

Red Stockings
05-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Manager definitely deserves to be fired.

This.

goreds2
05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
We will see first again. The schedule favors us. Just breathe everyone

Thank you, I have never seen so many people panic over ONE game. If we win a game, we are in the World Series. If we lose a game, "let's have a fire sale". :laugh:

sivman17
05-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Thank you, I have never seen so many people panic over ONE game. If we win a game, we are in the World Series. If we lose a game, "let's have a fire sale". :laugh:

I think people are worrying that a game like this can send the team into a downward spiral like it did last year in the Pujols-Weathers grand slam game.

After that game last year we were right at .500 (39-39). The Reds then lost 22 of their next 28 games and 33 of 45.

I think it's safe to say that was the turning point in the season. Could a game like this today have the same effect? We shall see..

malcontent
05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
The worst thing to happen to the Reds may be their recent success. It may have bought Dusty more time.
THAT is my greatest fear.

90% of RZ could have done a better job managing today. Maybe not the apologist and contrarian fungus among us....you know who you are....but the rest of us.

No way should Lincoln have even started the 9th. But to let him give up 4 hits, the last one to McLouth when he had Herrera and Rhodes available....

Not to mention all the other questionable (at best) moves today.

God, I'll be so glad the day he's not the manager and can no longer sabotage this team.

Vottomatic
05-20-2010, 08:08 PM
After calming down a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing how the team responds this weekend. The Indians should be a pushover. I expect nothing less than a sweep.

foxfire123
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
After calming down a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing how the team responds this weekend. The Indians should be a pushover. I expect nothing less than a sweep.

Your lips... err, fingers, to the baseball gods' ears, please! :)

This was just sickening, and I hope beyond reason that this isn't a momentum breaker....

Griffey012
05-20-2010, 11:20 PM
This is an absolutely piss poor blame game/over reaction by this board. I am really disappointed to come home and see all the Dusty bashing going on and on once again. Losing this game blows no doubt. But I don't care what collection of AAA pitchers and defense a manager puts into the game, a 6 run lead should not be lost. It has probably happened to Pete Rose, Joe Torre, or whatever unnamed replacement everyone wants for Dusty at some point in their careers. But its baseball, it happens...stop the pouting and move on. We are now what, 14-7 in our last 21 or something like that?

Now if the team dwells on it and falters we can all point fingers at the coach and team leaders, but when we come back out tomorrow and the next day playing good baseball you can all eat crow.

goreds2
05-20-2010, 11:30 PM
This is an absolutely piss poor blame game/over reaction by this board. I am really disappointed to come home and see all the Dusty bashing going on and on once again. Losing this game blows no doubt. But I don't care what collection of AAA pitchers and defense a manager puts into the game, a 6 run lead should not be lost. It has probably happened to Pete Rose, Joe Torre, or whatever unnamed replacement everyone wants for Dusty at some point in their careers. But its baseball, it happens...stop the pouting and move on. We are now what, 14-7 in our last 21 or something like that?

Now if the team dwells on it and falters we can all point fingers at the coach and team leaders, but when we come back out tomorrow and the next day playing good baseball you can all eat crow.

Drinks are on me. :beerme:

KySteveH
05-20-2010, 11:56 PM
i'm sure many said the same thing after the pujols homer off weathers. how did that turn out?

Not sure when this event occurred, but I would imagine he circled the bases, and was credited with a run. At the end of said game, the Reds were at worst 1 game worse off than they would have been had they won. What year (aside from 1999, obviously), would one game have changed Reds' history in some meaningful way?

markymark69
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
It's really difficult to lay the blame on any one person when a loss like this occurs. You get a big lead early, it's so easy to put it on cruise control, which let's face it - the offense did. Not Dusty's fault. Four errors, not Dusty's fault. Walking people - not Dusty's fault. Cairo's vapor lock -not Dusty's fault.

Now you can argue about Arthur Rhodes, but Cordero is the closer, even though he's taking a ride on the wild side right now, Cordero is getting paid big bucks to to close games, that is his job and he did not have a good day yesterday. You could argue that he left Lincoln in too long, but heck, they still had a five-run lead when he left. There is plenty of blame to go around.

But, I do know one thing. I can always go to either talk radio or RedZone to get my fill of "the sky is falling or will fall" negativity.

With some of the late-innning heroics this year, the Reds probably deserved that one yesterday, as much as it stung.

I do agree with the one post, it will be interesting to see how they respond. Hopefully this is where the intangibles of guys like Rolen, Cabrera and Rhodes lift up the team.

bounty37h
05-21-2010, 11:06 AM

bgwilly31
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
would one game have changed Reds' history in some meaningful way?

somebody just explained what happened in that year. So you got one game right there. Reading the thread helps comprehend.

Jack Burton
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Good one stevie, don't choke on that toothpick.

And bounty, how does it feel to stalk someone on a messageboard?

Chip R
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
We let a lot of stuff go over here but you guys are testing our patience. Knock off the personal stuff or at least take it private.

arkimadee
05-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Cardinals down 8-2 to the LA Angels right now. Baring a Atlanta Braves sized comeback the Reds could be in position to take back first with a win tonight