PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this Reds vs Indians "rivalry?"

mlh1981
05-22-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't think that playing the Indians holds any special significance for us Reds fans, nor do I imagine they care too much. This "rivalry" seemed like a big deal a decade ago, and maybe part of this is due to the fact that both teams have struggled mightily in recent years, but I feel like this has run it's course.

Furthermore, no Reds fan I know hates the tribe, and vice versa. In fact, if I HAD to pick a favorite American League team (even though I hate the AL), I'd probably go with them. *shrugs*

How long will/should this continue?

MrRed339
05-22-2010, 12:49 AM
I agree, It's sort of ran it's course. Although if both teams pick it up I could see it thriving again.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 12:52 AM
I was in Cleveland tonight. Did not get any negative comments thrown my way, except when I tried standing in the 9th inning. Stupid Cleveland fans in the 6th row behind first base don't even want to stand in the 9th when they are down by 2... could not quite understand that.... But i agree, there is really no real rivalry. The teams don't hate each other.

But I do like that we play each other each year. My roommate in college is from Cleveland and is an Indians fan. I now am going to school near Cleveland so I am thankful that we play them here.

GO REDS.

mlh1981
05-22-2010, 12:53 AM
What percentage of tonight's crowd was Reds fans, would you say?

ian_madden
05-22-2010, 12:56 AM
My girlfriend is from Cleveland, we have some good arguments 4 times a year. Reds vs. Indians (twice), and Bengals vs. Browns (twice).

But the Indians are probably my favorite AL team (if I have to choose.)

sabometrics
05-22-2010, 01:02 AM
It was exciting years ago when the Indians were still perennial contenders and the Reds were managing to compete into the interleague weeks every few years. It hasn't had that same appeal for years now. If the Reds are still in the race when the Indians come to town in a month the place will be packed, but mostly for other reasons than this "rivalry."

Maker_84
05-22-2010, 01:47 AM
i honestly can't stand the Indians and hate them as much as i hate the Pirates. I live in northeast ohio and they had the biggest bandwagon fanbase i have ever seen in the 90's and early 00's when they were good and all those years they would bash on my Reds saying how insignificant we were when really they were just jealous of our historic franchise and they have not won a world series since like 1940.

arkimadee
05-22-2010, 02:33 AM
I like the fact we get to play one of the worst teams in the AL six times as opposed to playing Anahiem and Texas

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 03:07 AM
23,028 were at Progressive Field on Friday Night. That is the smallest crowd ever to witness a Reds/Indians game. Sad.

Last year the Friday Night game @ Cleveland drew 28,114.

Entering Friday's game, Cleveland is DEAD last in average attendance this season at 14,382/game. Yes -- they are well behind Florida, Oakland, and even Pittsburgh.

The Reds are averaging 21,368 so far this year. That's good for 23rd in MLB.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

arkimadee
05-22-2010, 03:12 AM
23,028 were at Progressive Field on Friday Night. That is the smallest crowd ever to witness a Reds/Indians game. Sad.

Last year the Friday Night game @ Cleveland drew 28,114.

Entering Friday's game, Cleveland is DEAD last in average attendance this season at 14,382/game. Yes -- they are well behind Florida, Oakland, and even Pittsburgh.

The Reds are averaging 21,368 so far this year. That's good for 23rd in MLB.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
I can't get over how much this franchise has fallen in such a short period of time. It was only three short years ago that this team had a series lead over the Yankees in the ALCS. I can't help but feel sorry for the city. I root for the Indians when they don't play the Reds. I mean I'd much rather see them win than the Yankees or someone else. They had some obnoxious fans in the 90's but who doesn't? It makes me sad to see the Jac with so many empty seats when it use to be rockin on a nightly basis. I didn't think I'd see the day the reds would on average outdraw them by almost 8,000 per game

The Voice of IH
05-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I was in Cleveland tonight. Did not get any negative comments thrown my way, except when I tried standing in the 9th inning. Stupid Cleveland fans in the 6th row behind first base don't even want to stand in the 9th when they are down by 2... could not quite understand that.... But i agree, there is really no real rivalry. The teams don't hate each other.

But I do like that we play each other each year. My roommate in college is from Cleveland and is an Indians fan. I now am going to school near Cleveland so I am thankful that we play them here.

GO REDS.

yep, I am going to school near Cleveland also, so I am particularly happy they play the Indians somewhat often.

Orodle
05-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I hate the Tribe, and I know Indian fans who hate the Reds

goreds2
05-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I hate the Tribe, and I know Indian fans who hate the Reds

YEP! :thumbup:

I think each MLB team should have a main-stay club they play each year in the inter-league (Reds have Indians for instance). Then there is some type of drawing for a second team the teams play. Each league takes a turn each year on the drawing. So, each team plays two opposite league clubs each year and that is it.

muddie
05-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Interleague play sucks, regardless the teams.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
What percentage of tonight's crowd was Reds fans, would you say?

There really weren't as many Reds fans as I would've thought. In my section there were a couple up a few rows in front of me, and one right behind me. Then walking around the stadium you would see some, but not a whole lot.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I can't get over how much this franchise has fallen in such a short period of time. It was only three short years ago that this team had a series lead over the Yankees in the ALCS. I can't help but feel sorry for the city. I root for the Indians when they don't play the Reds. I mean I'd much rather see them win than the Yankees or someone else. They had some obnoxious fans in the 90's but who doesn't? It makes me sad to see the Jac with so many empty seats when it use to be rockin on a nightly basis. I didn't think I'd see the day the reds would on average outdraw them by almost 8,000 per game

Yeah they set the record a few years back with consecutive home sellouts, something like 450 or so straight sellouts.

I couldn't believe how empty the stadium was last night.

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I think each MLB team should have a main-stay club they play each year in the inter-leagueI don't agree with EVERY team having a home-and-home with another team. Some teams just don't have a definitive geographic rival in the other league.

Teams with no geographic rival and do not usually play a home-and-home interleague series:
Arizona
Atlanta
Boston
Colorado
Detroit
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Toronto

Obvious rivals that play home-and-home series each year:
Yankees vs. Mets
Cubs vs. White Sox
Dodgers vs. Angels
Cincinnati vs. Cleveland
San Francisco vs. Oakland
St. Louis vs. Kansas City
Minnesota vs. Milwaukee
Houston vs. Texas
Florida vs. Tampa Bay
Boston vs. Washington

Since they share a spring training facility, San Diego and Seattle play a home-and-home series each year.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 12:13 PM
this is kind of unrelated to the topic but i got brandon phillips's autographs before the game last night... so that was cool

brachial pleXUs
05-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't agree with EVERY team having a home-and-home with another team. Some teams just don't have a definitive geographic rival in the other league.

Teams with no geographic rival and do not usually play a home-and-home interleague series:
Arizona
Atlanta
Boston
Colorado
Detroit
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Toronto

Obvious rivals that play home-and-home series each year:
Yankees vs. Mets
Cubs vs. White Sox
Dodgers vs. Angels
Cincinnati vs. Cleveland
San Francisco vs. Oakland
St. Louis vs. Kansas City
Minnesota vs. Milwaukee
Houston vs. Texas
Florida vs. Tampa Bay
Boston vs. Washington

Since they share a spring training facility, San Diego and Seattle play a home-and-home series each year.

I agree with all of those except Boston and Washington--Should be Baltimore and Washington. They're 39 miles apart, close enough that MLB had to consider the effect on Baltimore's fan base when moving the Expos to Washington. Baltimore's airport is Baltimore-Washington International, and my friend from Baltimore roots for the Wizards and the Caps. There is no more tailor-made rivalry. Now if either of them could win enough games to be relevant again...

Red in Atl
05-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I think it's a joke of a rivalry.

Reds Dodgers that was real in the 70's.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Here's a somewhat interesting article from SI about interleague play..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/05/21/interleague.play/index.html

He raises a good point about how Pittsburgh and Cleveland are more geographic rivalries than the Reds and Indians. I can't really complain about interleague play this year with how easy our schedule is. We really lucked out.

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 09:25 PM
There were 25,531 at Saturday Night's game. That is the lowest number for a Saturday Night game in the Indians/Reds series EVER.

Kingspoint
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
It's a great rivalry now that the Indians suck so badly.

gedred69
05-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I see a problem for teams in the hunt, with the Natural Rivalry thing. Hypothetical example, the Reds are in it, and play more than a few games against a Cleveland team that is very good, while the Reds competition the Cards are playing a pitiful KC team, or the Cubs are playing a bad Whitesox team. Not the case right now, but it could happen. If inter-league continues it has to be a strict rotation of competition, rotating divisions like it started out. Otherwise, can it. (And while we're ending that, DO AWAY WITH THE DH!

Kingspoint
05-23-2010, 03:51 AM
I see a problem for teams in the hunt, with the Natural Rivalry thing. Hypothetical example, the Reds are in it, and play more than a few games against a Cleveland team that is very good, while the Reds competition the Cards are playing a pitiful KC team, or the Cubs are playing a bad Whitesox team. Not the case right now, but it could happen. If inter-league continues it has to be a strict rotation of competition, rotating divisions like it started out. Otherwise, can it. (And while we're ending that, DO AWAY WITH THE DH!

I agree with you, but right now it's working for the REDS.

goreds2
05-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I think it's a joke of a rivalry.

Reds Dodgers that was real in the 70's.

That was an awesome rivalry! :beerme:

bounty37h
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
this is kind of unrelated to the topic but i got brandon phillips's autographs before the game last night... so that was cool

Siv, thats cool, BPhil signed a couple photos for me during spring training this year through the mail, was pretty quick getting them back, and inscribed one of them to me. I have never heard a negative thing about him off field, always so fan friendly!!

Girevik
05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Being a Cincy fan that lives in Columbus, which is loaded with bandwagon Browns and Indians fans, I've developed a hatred for pretty much all things Cleveland.