View Full Version : Bailey 15 day DL

GIDP
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM
RHP Enerio Del Rosario called up.

Shoulder inflammation for Bailey.

Vottomatic
05-24-2010, 04:08 PM
15 day DL?

I read somewhere that he wouldn't miss a start. ;)

NeilHamburger
05-24-2010, 04:10 PM
New Update from Fay:

Homer Bailey didn’t know he was put on the DL until a few minutes ago.

“I was thinking one start, but I’m no doctor,” he said.

He said the MRI showed no structural damage. They were going to give him a cortisone shot.

“I said that wasn’t necessary,” Bailey said. “I’m not a big advocate of cortisone shots.”

There’s no timetable. Bailey did some stretching day and said that was fine.

sivman17
05-24-2010, 05:24 PM
15 day DL?

I read somewhere that he wouldn't miss a start. ;)

I recall something along those lines too... sure can't remember where though. Hmmm

texasdave
05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
The Reds are going to have Bailey's shoulder looked at by Dr. Kremchek. This is also known as 'The Kiss of Death'.

sivman17
05-24-2010, 05:39 PM
The Reds are going to have Bailey's shoulder looked at by Dr. Kremchek. This is also known as 'The Kiss of Death'.

Are you kidding? He's one of the best orthopaedic surgeons in the state.

PlugALeake
05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Why Rosario?

GIDP
05-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Why not? They dont need a starter until friday and hes the best reliever in AAA.

Larry Schuler
05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I've seen Bailey pitch and the kid has heart. He'll be back soon enough and when he is, watch out opposing baatters.

Larry Schuler
05-24-2010, 06:07 PM
It should say "batters". My mistake.

Fullboat
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Doesn't Enerio mean January in spanish?

muddie
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Zebulon, NC --- The Cincinnati Reds have made one player transaction impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to Monday night's series finale against Chattanooga.

LHP Joe Krebs has been promoted to Triple-A Louisville, with no other corresponding move occurring. The Mudcats will play with a 23-man roster tonight.

A revised roster is attached.

DELETE: LHP Krebs, Joe (To Louisville)

scott91575
05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Doesn't Enerio mean January in spanish?

That would be Enero, not Enerio

scott91575
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Are you kidding? He's one of the best orthopaedic surgeons in the state.

I don't think it's a statement about the man's abilities. It's a statement about the fact if you are going to see him it's rarely good news. Just like how people react when someone says an athlete is going to see Dr. James Andrews. It's not that Andrews is bad, in fact he is considered the best. What it means is if you are going to see Dr. Andrews it means you are pretty messed up.

Quatitos
05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Its nice to see that the reds are willing to protect Bailey's arm. Although Bailey thought he would be fine and the MRI showed no damage, they are willing to bench him for 2+ starts just to be careful and try and make sure this doesn't become something more serious.

I think this is definitely a good sign when you consider how many young arms in this years rotation. Taking Bailey out of the rotation during a relatively important stretch of games shows they are willing to put the health of the pitcher ahead of winning a couple of games. Hopefully they keep this thinking up when it comes to Leake's innings limit over the course of the season.

sivman17
05-24-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think it's a statement about the man's abilities. It's a statement about the fact if you are going to see him it's rarely good news. Just like how people react when someone says an athlete is going to see Dr. James Andrews. It's not that Andrews is bad, in fact he is considered the best. What it means is if you are going to see Dr. Andrews it means you are pretty messed up.

True, but Dr. Kremchek is the Reds Medical Director and Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon. If you are going to have a starter's arm looked at, why wouldn't he be the one to look at it?

scott91575
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
True, but Dr. Kremchek is the Reds Medical Director and Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon. If you are going to have a starter's arm looked at, why wouldn't he be the one to look at it?

I didn't make the statement, nor did I state I agree with it. Just relaying why people use those terms with doctors.

The Voice of IH
05-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I hate to hear that he is on the DL, I just have a bad felling in my gut about this....

Kingspoint
05-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Sorry about Homer, but glad to see Del Rosario up here. I think he'll find a way to stay.

Tough first effort as he strikes out the only man he faces, but Hanigan let's the ball get by him and the man reaches first base.

Del Rosario is going to improve our bullpen tremendously. Great move. When it's time for a starter, Owings can be that person if they choose not to bring someone else up.

sivman17
05-24-2010, 11:20 PM
I hate to hear that he is on the DL, I just have a bad felling in my gut about this....

It seems like they are just being extra cautious with him (I hope).

Of course they aren't giving us all the details, but Dusty made it sound like the recommendation from the doctor was that he shouldn't pitch for a little while.

There's no structural damage, just inflammation. These are things that can kind of drag on for wayy longer than they initially seem like they will.. so who knows?

Hanover
05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
The Reds have confirmed it will be Wood, Maloney or LeCure to start in Bailey's place. I wonder if Enerio will be the one sent down....

ian_madden
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I like the take it slow approach to this "minor" set back. Homer will be fine, We have PLENTY of pitching. I'm excited to see what Wood can do at the MLB level.

SeeinRed
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Hearing Homer talk about it you can tell he wasn't too happy about being placed on the DL. I like the move though. No sense in running the risk of harming Bailey in May/June when you could need him in September/October (hopefully).

I'm not too worried about the injury yet. If in 10 days he isn't throwing again and getting ready to make a start when he is eligible to come off the DL then I'll start worrying.

Kingspoint
06-06-2010, 04:13 PM
From Rotoworld via The Enquirer w/ Rotoworld comments:

Homer Bailey (shoulder), who had been hoping to start for the Reds on Tuesday, may instead make a rehab start at Triple-A Louisville.

Manager Dusty Baker told the Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay, "I’d rather have a guy over-ready than under-ready." Bailey is just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP, though he was looking better before this injury cut short his outing in Cleveland. We expect him to continue to improve when he's healthy, but one rehab start probably won't make much of a difference either way.

sabometrics
06-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Well LeCure was warming up for possible extra-inning duty so it looks like it's gonna be Bailey on Tuesday.

Griffey012
06-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Well LeCure was warming up for possible extra-inning duty so it looks like it's gonna be Bailey on Tuesday.

They said on the radio that LeCure was simply getting typical bullpen work in in preparation for Tuesday. And judging from Baker's comments, I think LeCure gets another crack on Tuesday.

I actually hope it's LeCure on Tuesday, he has pitched well enough to deserve it.

texasdave
06-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Manager Dusty Baker told the Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay, "I’d rather have a guy over-ready than under-ready."

Just ask Paul Janish, LOL.

nemesis
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Just ask Paul Janish, LOL.

Janish must really had words with Dusty or Walt after the Cabrera signing. Had a great spring. Looked great in limited AB's. Has made quite a few awesome plays at SS and 3B when in there. Yet Miguel "the Matador" Cairo got yet another start at 3rd over him. Even Brantley made a comment regarding this situation...

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Janish must really had words with Dusty or Walt after the Cabrera signing. Had a great spring. Looked great in limited AB's. Has made quite a few awesome plays at SS and 3B when in there. Yet Miguel "the Matador" Cairo got yet another start at 3rd over him. Even Brantley made a comment regarding this situation...

That double play he made the last game he was inserted, was one of the best I've ever seen. Quick wrists/quick throw.

DirtyBaker
06-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Why would LeCure need a bullpen session? I don't recall our other starters having one.

texasdave
06-07-2010, 12:33 AM
If Mr. Baker doesn't want to start Janish, whatever. But not inserting him in late innings as a defensive replacement is just dumb.

Kingspoint
06-08-2010, 03:45 AM
From Sheldon...

Sam LeCure will still start Tuesday's game vs. the Giants. Homer Bailey has been sent on a rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville and will start Tuesday at Syracuse.

"He had a real good 'pen the other day. This is more of a tune-up," manager Dusty Baker said. "I'd rather have him tune-up there than tune-up here. He thought he was ready for here but we wanted to make sure."

Baker anticipated that Bailey would be limited to around 80 pitches. Bailey's next turn for the Reds would come again on Sunday vs. the Royals but there was no committment that he would be activated from the disabled list.

sabometrics
06-08-2010, 04:13 AM
I like the move from an organizational standpoint. Protect your young arms at all costs. After not hearing any really strong reason for Bailey's hiatus I think he could come back right now and pitch well but there's really no reason to risk it. LeCure has proven himself capable as a stop-gap pitcher and it makes this move a no-brainer.

I'm sure doesn't like it one bit, but its all the more reason for him to come out and pitch well if LeCure continues his success. Could be spark that gets him going for another stretch like he put together at the end of last year. No doubt about it he's hungry and motivated to get back to pitching for the Major League club and that's what you want to see.

Kingspoint
06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
It gives the team one more look at LeCure to see if he can be Harang's replacement, too.

There's no error room for Harang anymore.

He's had 5 months to work with Bryan Price.

If he hasn't gotten it by now, he's never going to get it.

It's step up or shut up every start for Harang from now on. I can't believe he blew it against the Astros his last start, the worst hitting team in the Majors.

COM2010
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
With Harang, he just looks tired. It's as plain as day on his face. He's leaving stuff up, a sign of a dead arm. I honestly think it's "just a job" to him, he doesn't seem to be fretting over this one bit.

Kingspoint
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
From McCoy...

HOMER BAILEY was back in the clubhouse Wednesday after his tune-up start Tuesday for the Class AAA Louisville Bats. He gave up five runs, six hits and two walks in 4 1/3 innings (90 pitches) against Syracuse.

“I heard his outing was better than the score indicated,” said Baker. “I heard there were a couple of plays behind him that kind of opened the doors on him. His velocity was good and his breaking ball and command was fair, which is to be expected, because you lose the feel for those when you miss time.” Baker said a decision hasn’t been made for Sunday, whether Bailey takes that spot or Sam LeCure makes his fourth start in Bailey’s place. “Homer will throw a bullpen Friday and we’ll go from there,” said Baker. “We haven’t made a decision yet.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/06/09/leake_allstar_rookie_of_the_ye.html