PDA

View Full Version : New, atrocious, helmets.

NorrisHopper30
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5216174

A couple of Reds mentioned in the article, Rolen and Heisey.

defender
05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Outfielder Justin Maxwell, who's been back and forth this year between the Washington Nationals and the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs, was hit in the helmet by a 95 mph fastball in the second game of the International League season.

"I didn't feel anything," he said. "I've been hit in the head before with the old helmets. I remember I got hit in 2007 in spring training. I was kind of dazed for a couple of days and had to sit out. This year when I got hit, I just ran to first base, no problem. It actually broke the helmet. I had to get another one, but I didn't feel anything."

Maxwell said adapting to the S100 hasn't been a problem.

"You get used to it. You really don't notice it. I was a little skeptical of it at first, but after getting domed I know it's pretty safe," he said. "It's not a bad thing, but I can understand the allure of it not looking good."

If it makes that much difference, I think people are going to start wearing them.

Quatitos
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
If it makes that much difference, I think people are going to start wearing them.

Comfort is such a huge issue, especially when batting. Even if you know its better for you to wear more protection, its hard to adjust to if its not comfortable. I can speak from personal experience here. In the 8th or 9th grade I think, I took a foul ball directly to the eye and ended up getting a bunch of stitches as well as suffering some permanent damage to my eye (not that bad just some of the muscles controlling pupil restriction are paralyzed) and had to wear one of those cages on my batting helmet the rest of the season. That had to be the most uncomfortable things I ever had to wear and I ended up sawing off the bottom half of it because it was running into my shoulder all the time. The next season and on I played without the cage because the chance of it reoccurring was so small and the cage itself was very uncomfortable.

So personally I can't blame major leaguers for not wanting to wear this monstrous new helmet, even if it is safer.

The Voice of IH
05-24-2010, 09:00 PM
I think they look stupid, but if it makes that big a difference then I guess I am for it...why not

RyanC119
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
E.T. phone home...!

On a serious note, if these new helmets are designed to provide more safety for the batters without impairing their ability to hit, I have no problem with them. They look goofy as hell but I'll take that over a head injury.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 11:46 PM
im guessing they improve the look some.

PlugALeake
05-25-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree with the players, if your not comfortable at the plate, or then you will take the chance.

The Voice of IH
05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I keep going back to take another look and I still laugh, I hope they can change something before it becomes the usual.

PhillipsHead
05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I like how it makes players' heads look disproportionate to their bodies. Looks retarded, but if it protects the dome, I guess it's gotta be done.

Mr Larkin
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
No big deal. If they are safer, that's the goal. I'm sure there were thousands of people not happy when they began wearing batting helments as well. Change happens - deal with it.

Natty Redlocks
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
No big deal. If they are safer, that's the goal. I'm sure there were thousands of people not happy when they began wearing batting helments as well. Change happens - deal with it.

There was a time when things like batting helmets and catcher's gear were unthinkable; you'd be labelled a major wuss for even thinking of wearing them. They started by discreetly putting pieces of plastic in their caps; it took them a long time to get to where they are. Bottom line, if everyone has to wear them, they'll all look stupid together, and everyone will get used to it.