PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Baker and Personality Types

LeDoux
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Perhaps some of you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator (MBTI). For those who are not, it is a "survey" primary used by organizations to show the variety of ways individuals perceive the world. It is not a clinical instrument, like the MMPI-II, it is more of an organizational tool. Here is a link to another survey based on the same Jungian methodology:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

I had a few spare minutes and filled out the survey based upon what I thought Dusty Baker would answer. The results are: Extraverted (100%) Sensing (25%) Feeling (88%) Judging (1%). This would be consistent with a manager who would care about his players as people, not just production units. However, this may also be consistent with a weakness in conceptualizing abstract theory and task-focused procedures. In short, I thought it was a good tool to explain why Dusty is respected as a leader in the clubhouse, while still making mystifying in-game decisions. Everyone can decide for themselves what value to place on each of these qualities, but I don’t see why Dusty’s weakness couldn’t be covered by having a sidekick in the dugout whispering reminders about “the numbers” in matchups and substitutions. I think this would be a powerful leadership combination- a player’s coach with strategic counsel.

If you have the time, take the survey yourself. Most people find the results at least somewhat interesting. If you come out strong INTJ, you probably are wondering why Dusty wasn’t fired already. As an ESFP, you may think he’s the coach of the decade.

brm7675
05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
All the players seem to love Dusty, but I am sorry a manager is not there to be loved, he is there to put the best players in the best position for them to win and right now he is not doing that on a game by game basis.

muddie
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I am somewhat familiar with Myers-Briggs. I took it in 2007 and years back before then. It is interesting and for the most part accurate in my case.

MB aside, it is my impression that Dusty is a players manager.

muddie
05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
All the players seem to love Dusty, but I am sorry a manager is not there to be loved, he is there to put the best players in the best position for them to win and right now he is not doing that on a game by game basis.

FWIW, the Reds are tied for first place.

brm7675
05-25-2010, 05:05 PM
FWIW, the Reds are tied for first place.

Yes and they should have at least a game or two lead. If you look at the results over the past month, our schedule and such there is no reason this team should be 10-11- or even 12 games over .500.

Griffey012
05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes and they should have at least a game or two lead. If you look at the results over the past month, our schedule and such there is no reason this team should be 10-11- or even 12 games over .500.

We'll never know, but maybe with a more ferocious and less "player" manager the guys don't react the same. Bruce may worry more about PT and never get going, other guys with early struggles may "press" more and not pick get things going like OCab, BPhill, Bruce, and Stubbs have done as late.

Sometimes these things can be a two-way street.

LeDoux
05-25-2010, 10:56 PM
We'll never know, but maybe with a more ferocious and less "player" manager the guys don't react the same. Bruce may worry more about PT and never get going, other guys with early struggles may "press" more and not pick get things going like OCab, BPhill, Bruce, and Stubbs have done as late.

Sometimes these things can be a two-way street.

Like many, I get frustrated with some of the calls from the dugout. But I agree there is more to leadership then pushing the right button at the right time. I know I would have difficulty maintaining the same level of motivation with a "ferocious" manager. I would guess that it is the same for most people inside or outside baseball.