PDA

View Full Version : Best historical site you've ever visited....

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
For me, while nothing "historical" happened there, I loved going through the mansions in Newport, Rhode Island. Spent a day there in August of 1992. One of the most beautiful days I ever had. (Of course, I was on my honeymoon, so it helped.)

Slyder
05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
My favorite was Colonial Williamsburg, VA and visiting the "fort" there.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 07:25 PM
My favorite was Colonial Williamsburg, VA and visiting the "fort" there.

I've had calendars from there. It's definitely a place on my "list".

Joseph
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Is someone going to break into something about ''not able to reach everywhere with a washcloth''?

My favorite so far though in keeping the thread close to on track has probably been St Augustine. Hit the fort there, the lighthouse and grounds, and a few other places.

When I was a kid I visited a fort in Wyoming where Sitting Bull was held and that was pretty neat, but I was young enough not to appreciate it entirely. I just thought Indians were 'cool'.

I've also visited numerous Civil War battle grounds which have also been enlightening.

RBA
05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
The Acropolis.

mth123
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
The Vatican

SunDeck
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
The strongest impression and most moving experience was visiting Dachau. I think of it often.

Favorite historical sites in the US:

USS Constitution
Charleston, SC, Battery Row
Monuments in DC

RBA
05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
The Newport Travelodge.

http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/Booking/branded/TL/images/09733_b1.jpg

Rojo
05-25-2010, 08:36 PM
The Newport Travelodge.

Uh, not exactly the Space Age Lodge:

http://www.doney.net/aroundaz/DA_gilabend.jpg

westofyou
05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
In no particular order

Avignon
Tiger Stadium
Bear Butte
General Sherman Tree
Backstage at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk Big Dipper Rollercoaster

15fan
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
St. Peter's in the Vatican, and the Colosseum just a few miles down the road.

Eric_the_Red
05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Washington DC was chock full of them, but the National Cathedral stands out.

Also, standing in the elevator in the lobby of "Club 33" at Disneyland, and knowing Walt Disney was once there was a thrill for a Disney geek like myself.

OldRightHander
05-25-2010, 10:35 PM
At the top of my list was my trip to Israel in '93. After that would be the numerous Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields I've been to, all the places in and around Boston, and Independence Hall in Philly.

RedsManRick
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure of the best, but on the list:
- Gettysburg battlefield in PA
- Colonial Williamsburg in VA (had some tasty peanut soup there!)
- Fort Augustine in FL
- Little Italy & Paul Revere's house in Boston
- French Quarter (East of Bourbon St.) in New Orleans
- Golden Temple & Imperial Palace in Kyoto, Japan
- Hiroshima bomb museum in Hiroshima

macro
05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
The Newport Travelodge.

I was sitting in a room in that Travelodge eating pizza the night Tom Browning threw his perfect game. It was cold and rainy and we decided a nice warm room at the Newport Travelodge would be better than going to the game as we had originally planned.

macro
05-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh, and as for the subject of the thread, my most memorable place was the site of the Oklahoma City bombing. I was there not too long after the public was first allowed onto the site, when all the stuffed animals, photos, toys, and other stuff filled the chain link fence that surrounded the site.

The rubble was still around and the street was still stained and blackened. It was a surreal experience, and as I drove away and got about ten minutes away, I realized that major life experience had just occurred. I turned around and went back and stayed another hour or longer, just standing there taking it in and trying realize what had happened on the very spot I was standing.

Other than that, I guess it would be all the stuff in DC.

Want to go to Dealy Plaza in Dallas, the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, among other places.

The Voice of IH
05-25-2010, 11:43 PM
mine would be visiting the 38th parallel in Korea, it is truly amazing and heart wrenching to think that on the other side of that fence, is people are ruled by literally an evil dictator.

George Anderson
05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
The Newport Travelodge.

I stayed there for all the 1990 playoff games and WS.

It was a dump back then to.

reds1869
05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
I had the opportunity to spend a few weeks singing at Wells Cathedral in western England. It was humbling spending time in a building that old and in a region with so much fascinating history.

RedsBaron
05-26-2010, 07:05 AM
- Gettysburg battlefield in PA
- Colonial Williamsburg in VA (had some tasty peanut soup there!)
- Paul Revere's house in Boston
- French Quarter (East of Bourbon St.) in New Orleans

I've done that part of RedsManRick's list.
Colonial Williamsburg tops my list, in part because of the variety of experiences you can have there. The interaction with "living history" actors gives you insight into what it would have been to have lived in Williamsburg 240 years ago, as a shopkeeper, a slave, a lawyer, an indentured servant, a widow, or just about any other position in colonial society. I have "participated" in the Stamp Tax debates in the House of Burgesses, helped try an alleged witch, tried colonial dances, and questioned "Patrick Henry." Oh, yes the peanut soup at the Kings Arms is good, but I really like the sweet potato muffins at Christiana Campbell's Tavern.
I love the Freedom Trail in Boston, I enjoyed the French Quarter, but Gettysburg is not my favorite Civil War battlefield. I actually have preferred Antietam, Manassas, and Stones River, all of which were less crowded (one of my partners totally disagrees with me).

reds1869
05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I love the Freedom Trail in Boston, I enjoyed the French Quarter, but Gettysburg is not my favorite Civil War battlefield. I actually have preferred Antietam, Manassas, and Stones River, all of which were less crowded (one of my partners totally disagrees with me).

Fredricksburg is by far the most moving battlefield I've ever visited. Standing in front of the stone wall was overwhelming.

dabvu2498
05-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Arlington National Cemetary always gets to me.

Shiloh is my favorite Civil War site to visit. Go on the anniversary of the battle itself. Go early in the morning, right at daybreak, when the battle began. It's eerie.

Visited Dachau and Aushwitz. Not enjoyable, but necessary.

But #1 on my list is the beaches at Normandy and the cemetary there.

Blimpie
05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Westminster Abbey (London, UK)
Ground Zero (NYC, NY)
Dealey Plaza (Dallas, TX)
Bermuda Triangle (Atlantic Ocean)
St. Patrick's Cathedral (NYC, NY)
Appomattox Court House (Appomattox, VA)
Independence Hall/Liberty Bell (Philadelphia, PA)
Grand Central Station (NYC, NY)
Fort Augustine (St. Augustine, FL)

Roy Tucker
05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Seeing the Peterson House bed that Abraham Lincoln died in across the street from Ford's Theater gave me chills.

As well as seeing the oil bubble up from the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor.

RBA
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Some more places:

The Hoover Dam Really an engineering masterpiece
Arlington National Cemetery
Independence Hall
Rome
Athens
Washington DC Monuments
Mt Vernon
Monticello
Big Ben, Parliament ....... Big Ben, Parliament
The Alamo (much smaller than expected)
Gettysburg
Independence Hall

nate
05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Stonehenge, where the banshees lived and they lived well...

Not really a "place" but in Regensburg, Germany, there's a little town square with buildings from the 13th-14th century (can't remember, let's say "old") and the buildings had statues overlooking the square that had fallen into disrepair. Anyhow, I was staying with a buddy of mine and his wife had some sort of connection to get these statues repaired by artists from Romania. We went to visit the artists in their studio one evening and got to see the statues up close.

Oh, and we drink a ton of Romanian moonshine which tastes like whatever you thought of when you read the words "Romanian moonshine." The details of the rest of the evening are very hazy other than remembering a lot of translating from Romanian to German to English and back and a fantasticly profane Romanian curse!

nate
05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Other than that:

The temples in Kyoto, Japan
The bar where Jobim wrote "The Girl from Ipanema," Rio
The "Highlander Castle" on Loch Ness, Scotland
Old Stanhope Hall in Durham, England

15fan
05-26-2010, 09:46 AM
I need to revise my list and add Pearl Harbor & Arlington National Cemetary.

Those two places are powerful beyond words.

westofyou
05-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Wounded Knee, just a bleak tale.

bucksfan2
05-26-2010, 10:29 AM
The Colosseum
The Pantheon
Beaches of Normandy
Arlington National
Pearl Harbor
Dachau Concentration Camp

Ghosts of 1990
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Halocaust Museum, or Old Yankee Stadium

oneupper
05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Petra - Jordan
Pompeii
Machu Picchu
Rome (Colosseum, Forum..etc.)
Yucatan (Chichen Itza, Cobá, Uxmal, Ek Balaam)
Stonehenge (The history is kind of sketchy for it to be to really historical )
Toledo-Spain
Neuschwastein Castle
Giza

BRM
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Akershus Fortress in Oslo, Norway
Vardøhus Fortress in Vardo, Norway
Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London
Arlington National Cemetary
The D.C. monuments
The Alamo
Hoover Dam

RichRed
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Colonial Williamsburg in VA (had some tasty peanut soup there!)

I live 45 minutes from there and have good friends who live there, so I've been all over CW. It's a great spot.

Also, my old college roommate has worked for the Jamestown Foundation for many years, and the fort and ships there are a cool thing to check out.

And in the same vicinity, the Yorktown battlefields. The Williamsburg area is a treasure trove of history.

In addition, for me the York Minster in England was pretty spectacular.

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~ags3/york-minster.jpg

Driver62
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Dachau
Gettysburg
Shiloh
Appomattox Court House
The Alamo
The Liberty Bell in Philly
Independence Hall
Valley Forge

And many other Civil War sites.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 05:08 PM

That would be difficult. Pearl Harbor was very moving.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Petra - Jordan
Pompeii
Machu Picchu
Rome (Colosseum, Forum..etc.)
Yucatan (Chichen Itza, Cobá, Uxmal, Ek Balaam)
Stonehenge (The history is kind of sketchy for it to be to really historical )
Toledo-Spain
Neuschwastein Castle
Giza

With all that, what's next?

Hoosier Red
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
The Great Wall of China outside of Beijing,
THe Forbidden City in Beijing

The Incan Fortress Ollantayntambo outside of Cuzco Peru.

mth123
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I live 45 minutes from there and have good friends who live there, so I've been all over CW. It's a great spot.

Also, my old college roommate has worked for the Jamestown Foundation for many years, and the fort and ships there are a cool thing to check out.

And in the same vicinity, the Yorktown battlefields. The Williamsburg area is a treasure trove of history.

In addition, for me the York Minster in England was pretty spectacular.

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~ags3/york-minster.jpg

York Minster is pretty neat. Salisbury Cathedral, Bath and Westminster Abbey are good places in the UK.

Italy trumps it though with the Vatican, the Coliseum, the Cathedral in Florence, Pompeii, etc.

IF you like Art, there is a lot of history at the Louvre.

Probably still like the Vatican number 1, but the Louvre is a close second.

In the US, Mount Rushmore, Hoover Dam and Arlington Cemetary are pretty awesome. And of course, given the nature of this sight, the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown has to be on the list.

reds1869
05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
York Minster is pretty neat. Salisbury Cathedral, Bath and Westminster Abbey are good places in the UK.

Bath is a magnificent place. So much history and beauty to go along with some killer pubs. Fun fact: the world's first usage of a postage stamp occurred at the Bath post office.

oneupper
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
With all that, what's next?

Haven't been to Japan or China. Lots of places in Europe/Asia I want to see.

Angor Wat, Easter Island. It goes on and on...

Got a long bucket list. Lots of places in the US also.

This summer: Iceland and Norway.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
This summer: Iceland and Norway.

Are you sure?

When Mt. St. Helens erupted 30 years ago I was an independent writer and our group was making a book about the story. While there was still a 20-mile "red zone" where you'd go straight to jail if you were caught in it, my colleague and I drove within 8 miles of the centerpoint (12 miles inside). The ash on the leaves alone were about an inch-and-a-quarter thick. We turned around when a helicopter went overhead, and my colleague who was driving didn't feel like going to jail (we were driving a Beetle). Got some great pictures of the destruction and damage, but there was no color, as it was all gray. It was weird. Iceland, of course, will be 100% different. Besides, the people of Iceland should be great. There were no people where I went.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow.

All of you have been to some fantastic places.

Glad to see so many so interested in history and nature and man.

Trace's Daddy
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I lived in Williamsburg for a few years. here are my favs:
Shirley Plantation - if I was travelling to Southwest VA, I would always go down Route 5 where all the plantations are.
Jamestowne - the archaeological digs and the relics they have on display are pretty cool. They have remains of a young man with a musket ball lodged into his leg bone
Yorktown - the fireworks for the 4th of July are awesome. I guess they better damn well be awesome at Yorktown hahaa

oneupper
05-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Are you sure?

We have a saying in Venezuela: "Seguro es el infierno". The only thing that is sure is that you're going to hell (anything better than that is a gamble).

Bought my tickets shortly before the volcano blew. Non-refundable.
In any case, the main tourist attractions are over 100km from the Volcano (upwind). There are nighttime tours that take you as close as 4 km from the eruption.
It should be very interesting.

RichRed
05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
And of course, given the nature of this sight, the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown has to be on the list.

Absolutely. Went for the first time almost exactly a year ago, and it was, of course, fantastic.

bucksfan2
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Arlington National Cemetary always gets to me.

Shiloh is my favorite Civil War site to visit. Go on the anniversary of the battle itself. Go early in the morning, right at daybreak, when the battle began. It's eerie.

Visited Dachau and Aushwitz. Not enjoyable, but necessary.

Went to Dachau last summer and it was pretty moving, I thought it may have been more powerful but it wasn't. I want to see Aushwitz because I think it will be very powerful due to it being the most notorious concentration camp.

Normandy is amazing. When I went it was in August I believe. It was an overcast, spitting rain type of day. The waves were crashing onto the shore. I couldn't even imagine what happened there some 60 years ago. The American cemetery tops both Arlington National and Pearl Harbor if you ask me. Looking at the cliffs that the Ranges had to scale was amazing as well.

The only difficult part is the Normandy area is pretty nondescript. Its a small train terminal and doesn't offer many tours at all. It is a very small town so the English isn't very good there.

VR
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Arlington was spectacular, also found Ford's theatre to be very special.

cumberlandreds
05-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Gettysburg for me. It just a great place to visit knowing what happened and the great sacrifice so many made. The only place that could top it for me would be Normandy. I hope to visit there someday.
Others I have visited are:
Antietam and walking down bloody lane.
Arlington Cemetery and watching the changing of the guard. Also seeing the enternal flame at JFK's gravesite.
Viet Nam Memorial
Monticello, Jefferson's Home
WW II Memorial
Fords Theatre and seeing Lincolns Box. They also have a nice museum with a lot of artifacts. The house across the street where Lincoln was taken after being shot is open to the public and worthwhile to visit.

George Anderson
05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Arlington was spectacular, also found Ford's theatre to be very special.

Just my luck, when I went to D.C. back in the early 90's we weren't able to tour the sites because the Government was in a shut down because of a conflict between Clinton and Gingerich, so I was unable to see the inside of Fords Theater, the Lincoln Monument etc.

The one site I saw that was kinda cool was Red Square when I traveled to Russia a few years back . We were unable to see Lenins tomb which is located on Red Square because it was the one day outta the week it was closed. I have no luck with sight seeing.

RBA
05-27-2010, 11:07 AM
The question to me is wheter a "memorial" is actually a historical site? Yes, it's nice to remember people who sacifice and heros, but is it really in the same league as actually being where history was actually made?

ie: Vietnam Memorial = Memorial
Gettysburg = Historical Site.

cumberlandreds
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Just my luck, when I went to D.C. back in the early 90's we weren't able to tour the sites because the Government was in a shut down because of a conflict between Clinton and Gingerich, so I was unable to see the inside of Fords Theater, the Lincoln Monument etc.

Almost for got about that. I was working for the Feds then and got a free week of vacation. :D

Allegro
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
The bar where Jobim wrote "The Girl from Ipanema," Rio

awesome.

Chip R
05-27-2010, 02:28 PM
The question to me is wheter a "memorial" is actually a historical site? Yes, it's nice to remember people who sacifice and heros, but is it really in the same league as actually being where history was actually made?

ie: Vietnam Memorial = Memorial
Gettysburg = Historical Site.

I think that's a good point. I know a couple people mentioned Cooperstown and while the HOF is great and it's in a beautiful area, nothing of any historical significance really ever happened there.

westofyou
05-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I think that's a good point. I know a couple people mentioned Cooperstown and while the HOF is great and it's in a beautiful area, nothing of any historical significance really ever happened there.

James Fenimore Cooper lived there, otherwise you are correct

Kingspoint
05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Halocaust Museum, or Old Yankee Stadium

Interesting typo.

CrackerJack
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Been to a lot of places here and in Europe, but have to say my FBI tour of the White House (before they cut them off post 9/11) was completely overwhelming for some reason. That place has to have a ton of ghosts.

Nugget
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Normandy is amazing. When I went it was in August I believe. It was an overcast, spitting rain type of day. The waves were crashing onto the shore. I couldn't even imagine what happened there some 60 years ago. The American cemetery tops both Arlington National and Pearl Harbor if you ask me. Looking at the cliffs that the Ranges had to scale was amazing as well.

The only difficult part is the Normandy area is pretty nondescript. Its a small train terminal and doesn't offer many tours at all. It is a very small town so the English isn't very good there.

The Normandy beaches themselves are very nondescript. Whilst Omaha where is very moving with the American National Cemetery in the background - just to see the rows - Gold and Juno still have some of the artillery and fortifications which show just how foreboding the task was too.

The other amazing sight is the Great Wall - so old yet so imposing.

dabvu2498
05-27-2010, 07:45 PM
The one site I saw that was kinda cool was Red Square when I traveled to Russia a few years back . We were unable to see Lenins tomb which is located on Red Square because it was the one day outta the week it was closed. I have no luck with sight seeing.

Red Square is pretty excellent, especially for a Soviet-ophile like me. St. Petersburg also has some excellent sites.

As to where I want to visit:
#1 Pyramids -- And there's not a close second.

Holy Land
Sites in Rome
Sites in Greece
Machu Piccu

George Anderson
05-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Red Square is pretty excellent, especially for a Soviet-ophile like me. St. Petersburg also has some excellent sites.

The funny thing about Red Square was there was a drug store right there in the square maybe 200 feet from Lenins tomb. It was just weird being at a place of such historic significance with a drug store located there. It would kinda be like seeing a McDonalds on the Beaches of Normandy.

St Petersburg was neat. We saw the Hermitage but had like a world wind tour of the entire place in like 4 hours. We were told you would need a good 2 days to get a quality tour of the museum but we simply didn't have the time.

dabvu2498
05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
The funny thing about Red Square was there was a drug store right there in the square maybe 200 feet from Lenins tomb. It was just weird being at a place of such historic significance with a drug store located there. It would kinda be like seeing a McDonalds on the Beaches of Normandy.

St Petersburg was neat. We saw the Hermitage but had like a world wind tour of the entire place in like 4 hours. We were told you would need a good 2 days to get a quality tour of the museum but we simply didn't have the time.

Yeah. The Hermitage is enormous. We did a half day there as well. It's awesome as both a historical site and art museum. Pretty incredible stuff there.

sonny
05-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah. The Hermitage is enormous. We did a half day there as well. It's awesome as both a historical site and art museum. Pretty incredible stuff there.

I second the Hermitage. One of the finest places on earth to see art IMO

UKFlounder
05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I have not read all this thread, but I just took a 2 day trip and thought my thoughts probably fit on this thread instead of a new one.

I visited several sites in Central/Western Kentucky and had a great time.

My main trip was to Perryville Battlefield is simply beautiful. It has a lot of hills, making it difficult to walk, but I really enjoyed it, especially seeing the hills the soldiers had to climb while in full uniform. A wonderful spot.

I also visited My Old Kentucky Home, and Federal Hill, the house on the estate. It has a lot of really neat antique items, including a 235 year old grandfather clock and a really neat old piano with beautiful ivory keys.

The Civil War Museum in Bardstown is very fascinating, with a ton of items, and the Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville is also terrific.

Perhaps none of these count as the "best" I've ever visited (though Perryville may be close) but there are a lot of neat places to visit in that region. I did not even make it to Shaker Village.

savafan
06-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I have been to Gettysburg many times. I love visiting there.

I've also been to Antietam and New Market. Interesting, but I really love taking in the entire town of Gettysburg and not just the battlefield when I visit.

I spent the 4th of July holiday in Gettysburg last year, and have been thinking about a return trip this summer, but I'm curious where all of you think would be the best place to experience our nation's birthday, Gettysburg, Williamsburg or DC?

Trace's Daddy
06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I have been to Gettysburg many times. I love visiting there.

I've also been to Antietam and New Market. Interesting, but I really love taking in the entire town of Gettysburg and not just the battlefield when I visit.

I spent the 4th of July holiday in Gettysburg last year, and have been thinking about a return trip this summer, but I'm curious where all of you think would be the best place to experience our nation's birthday, Gettysburg, Williamsburg or DC?

I recommend Williamsburg because Yorktown is 10-15 minutes away down the Colonial Parkway. There you will see where we and the French defeated Lord Cornwalis to win our independence. The fireworks over the York River are the best I've seen. Plus Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestowne are nearby. Also, there are plantations along the James River and Route 5.

redhawkfish
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Colonial Williamsburg is my favorite.
Monticello is a close second.
Underated, but nice for a half day trip is Harper's Ferry.

Raisor
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
The Vicksburg battle ground is pretty cool. So is Chickamauga.

muddie
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Colonial Williamsburg is my favorite.
Monticello is a close second.
Underated, but nice for a half day trip is Harper's Ferry.

Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He died at Monticello. Monticello is what I would recommend. FWIW, John Adams died on the same day as Jefferson.

Raisor
06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He died at Monticello. Monticello is what I would recommend. FWIW, John Adams died on the same day as Jefferson.

John Adams' last words were "Jefferson Lives".

Except he didn't.

redhawkfish
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I have always wondered if Jefferson and Adams' deaths on the same day exactly fifty years after the Declaration of Independence were may be fudged just a bit. Even though they were both certainly extremely old at the time of their deaths, my extremely cynical side thinks it might be too much of a coincidence.

muddie
06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
James Monroe, the fifth president of the US also died on a July 4th. Three of the first five presidents died on the anniversary of the DOI.

hebroncougar
06-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I've been to Ft. Sumter. Cool experience.

dabvu2498
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
The Vicksburg battle ground is pretty cool. So is Chickamauga.

I really couldn't wrap my head around the stories I read about Vicksburg while there. It's so much different from other Civil War sites. But, cool nonetheless.

Good eats in Vicksburg, too.

Kingspoint
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I have always wondered if Jefferson and Adams' deaths on the same day exactly fifty years after the Declaration of Independence were may be fudged just a bit.

They weren't fudged at all. It just shows you how much of Providence was involved in the making of the United States of America.

muddie
06-02-2010, 06:15 AM
They weren't fudged at all. It just shows you how much of Providence was involved in the making of the United States of America.

Could not have said it better myself, always has been my belief.

RFS62
06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
The World Trade Center, two days after it happened. Surreal beyond belief.

marcshoe
06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Good eats in Vicksburg, too.

That's pretty ironic.

Strikes Out Looking
06-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Mount Vernon
The Alamo
Riverfront Stadium

LoganBuck
06-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Alcatraz
Gettysburg
Anything around DC.
French Quarter
Fort Worth Stockyards

Raisor
06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Alcatraz
Gettysburg
Anything around DC.
French Quarter
Fort Worth Stockyards

The Stockyards are pretty cool, and it's home to the best Mexican restuarant in the world, Joe T Garcia's.

Blimpie
06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
The Stockyards are pretty cool, and it's home to the best Mexican restuarant in the world, Joe T Garcia's.I have to work a Conference in Ft. Worth for a week in late October.

I will definitely keep that suggestion in mind.

westofyou
06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
The Stockyards are pretty cool, and it's home to the best Mexican restuarant in the world, Joe T Garcia's.

If it smells anything like the one off of Highway 5 (the stockyards that is) count me out

LoganBuck
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
If it smells anything like the one off of Highway 5 (the stockyards that is) count me out

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

LoganBuck
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I have to work a Conference in Ft. Worth for a week in late October.

I will definitely keep that suggestion in mind.

You could eat at a different restaurant every night and still not get to all the good ones there.

westofyou
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Epcott approach to the old west eh?

Without the disease and mud I hope.

LoganBuck
06-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Epcott approach to the old west eh?

Without the disease and mud I hope.

More like the Epcott meets the French Quarter, with a cowboy/western theme. It is pretty cool.

Trace's Daddy
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Me too. A lot of history there for sure. Charleston was much fun - it's where me an my wife made our daughter too hahaaa TMI I know;)

SunDeck
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Churches in Europe are always fun to visit. I liked the Cologne Cathedral a lot, but there are zillions of smaller ones throughout the countryside, too.

RedsBaron
06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I have always wondered if Jefferson and Adams' deaths on the same day exactly fifty years after the Declaration of Independence were may be fudged just a bit. Even though they were both certainly extremely old at the time of their deaths, my extremely cynical side thinks it might be too much of a coincidence.

From what I have read Jefferson made a real effort to live until the 50th anniversary, and in his final hours asked more than once if it was the 4th yet.

RedsBaron
06-04-2010, 11:38 AM

I really liked Charleston, including Fort Sumter. The Battery was nice too.

RedsBaron
06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I recommend Williamsburg because Yorktown is 10-15 minutes away down the Colonial Parkway. There you will see where we and the French defeated Lord Cornwalis to win our independence. The fireworks over the York River are the best I've seen. Plus Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestowne are nearby. Also, there are plantations along the James River and Route 5.
I agree-there is so much to see and do from a historical viewpoint, in the Williamsburg area.