PDA

View Full Version : Manageable stretch my butt

ILoveWilly
05-25-2010, 09:39 PM
In typical Reds style, another new way to completely screw up a game. That's why I don't want to hear anyone ever say we have a manageable "stretch" of the year looking ahead to opponents, because simply, it's the Reds and they'll manage a way to screw it up as usual. We're 3-4 since the supposed easy stretch going to Atlanta started, all 4 losses by a run, including an 8 run blown lead (6 in the 9th), and of all things contribute to losing a game because you can't see a freaking fly ball and it goes like 20 feet behind you.

Good job crew, always finding a new way to figure out how to lose. Typical Reds can't handle the easy stretch of the schedule.

Reds42MLB
05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
And we won a lot of games by 1 run, what is your point? Averages are balancing out, relax. Freaking out about 1 loss won't get you anywhere. It makes you look ignorant.

ILoveWilly
05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
And we won a lot of games by 1 run, what is your point? Averages are balancing out, relax. Freaking out about 1 loss won't get you anywhere. It makes you look ignorant.

We're 3-4 since our hot streak and we blow 8 run leads and can't catch fly balls? I'm not the ignorant one. We need to get crap together, completely blowing a golden opportunity here.

redsrolen
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
We have to be more consistant with our hitting and get more than 2 guys hot at the same time!!! Be patient though,this team has come a long long way since early Aug.of last year when they looked like a team, looking for a way to be a real team!!!

sivman17
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
We're also 3-2 since the blow up game against Atlanta.

webbbj
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
the season is 162 games long. you dont win every game and you dont win every series. you dont panic in this game. every team goes through a rough patch. if we win tomorrow thats 2 series won in a row. Theres no reason to make conclusions about the rest of the season whether positive or negative over 1 game.

ian_madden
05-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm not worried about a 7 game stretch where we lost 4 and won 3. I remember the 7 game stretches where we would lose 8!!! My best case scenario for this team, for this month was to be 10 games over .500, now we have a real shot at that. Were not going to win every game, but we can win every series. Let take it to them boys!!!!!

mroby85
05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
They were in both games against Atlanta, and i'm not sure who said they're an easy team to beat.. but they aren't. They're over .500, and I expect them to remain over .500 throughout the season. They proceeded to take 2/3 from Cleveland. They're still in position to take the series against Pittsburgh, this is baseball, not college football, you can't expect them to win every time they play a team they're better than, it's about winning the series, which they've continued to do.

BigPoppa
05-26-2010, 02:07 AM
AND..............how 'bout you give Stubbs a break ? He lost one in the lights...it happens to every major league outfielder.

I guess in your illustrious big league career as an outfielder :rolleyes: you never lost one, but everybody else has/does.

Let's run you out there 150 or so times a year and let you look at 300-400 fly balls and see how many get by you.

The Operator
05-26-2010, 02:11 AM
I guess in your illustrious big league career as an outfielder :rolleyes: you never lost one, but everybody else has/does.

Let's run you out there 150 or so times a year and let you look at 300-400 fly balls and see how many get by you.

I see the point you're making, but if only those who have played MLB are allowed to criticize players then there's no point in having this forum.

Just because you can't do something doesn't mean you can't criticize the performance of those who are being paid to do it.

scott91575
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Over react much?

Hanover
05-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I thought the easy stretch started with the Brewers? Wouldn't that make them 4-3 in the easy stretch?

Come on, man....

Quatitos
05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I thought the easy stretch started with the Brewers? Wouldn't that make them 4-3 in the easy stretch?

Come on, man....

Yes the easy stretch did start with the Brewers, and we are 5-4 since then, losing only 1 series so far, and winning 2. We are not out of this series yet, even though we should have won that one yesterday with how well leake was pitching. There are 2 games left with pretty favorable pitching match ups for us.

I can't really blame Stubbs on the ball that much, since I have lost a couple balls in the outfield when the sun was going down. These things happen, there is a small window of time this time of year where it is really hard for the outfielders to see the ball, and if they can't track it off the bat then its over.

Hanover
05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
^^^
5-4, not 4-3. Good call.

There is a difference between Stubbs misplaying that ball and Stubbs not hustling. The ball last night happens.... hopefully not very often, but it happens. If he wasn't hustling or making a boneheaded play, that's something different.

sivman17
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
He lost the ball in the lights. Not much he can do about it. It's not like it was sunny and he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

It is at home, though, which is kind of embarrassing. And it couldn't have come at a worse time...

roby
05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I think you guys are being a little hard on Willy. It is difficult to see a game that should have been won slip away. Like the one last night. If Drew Stubbs catches that fly ball, the Reds probably win 1-0. Don't you all hate to waste a pitching performance like Mike Leake turned in? I also had a lot of "heartburn" from Atlanta's come-from-behind win. You need to remember 1999...one game makes a big difference. TRUE REDS FANS HATE TO LOSE! :thumbup:

LeDoux
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not worried about a 7 game stretch where we lost 4 and won 3. I remember the 7 game stretches where we would lose 8!!! My best case scenario for this team, for this month was to be 10 games over .500, now we have a real shot at that. Were not going to win every game, but we can win every series. Let take it to them boys!!!!!

I'll second this. This is the first Reds team in many years that appears to be a solid .500 or better ballclub. They may make the postseason, they may not. It would be a miserable season if every loss prompted outrage. Even by the most optimistic appraisal, there will be 40 of those left in the season. I am just happy they are giving the Cards a run for their money with June approaching.

bgwilly31
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I think part of of the OP is trying to say. Is yeah the season is 162 games long.

It all evens out. But the teams in the playoffs at the end dont go .500 in stretches of the schedule like this. They dominate. Then they go .500 or a little worse against the tough stretches.

Hence finishing 10-30 games over .500.

The problem with the reds not dominating in a stretch of our schedule that should be easy. Is we could easily dig ourselves a hole that we cant climb out when with the next 10 game stretch against tough teams.

This teams major dilema is the same thing it was from pre-season predictions. THE HITTING!

Bruce playing a major role in that.

Quatitos
05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
I think part of of the OP is trying to say. Is yeah the season is 162 games long.

It all evens out. But the teams in the playoffs at the end dont go .500 in stretches of the schedule like this. They dominate. Then they go .500 or a little worse against the tough stretches.

Hence finishing 10-30 games over .500.

The problem with the reds not dominating in a stretch of our schedule that should be easy. Is we could easily dig ourselves a hole that we cant climb out when with the next 10 game stretch against tough teams.

This teams major dilema is the same thing it was from pre-season predictions. THE HITTING!

Bruce playing a major role in that.

I don't see a problem with the hitting at all. The reds right now are a good offensive team, getting timely hitting to score runs, which was a problem last year. Over this 3-4 stretch their stats are:

2010 Cincinnati Reds Batting Gamelogs for Team Games 40 to 46
G Rslt PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS LOB
7 3-4 274 242 37 71 19 0 11 36 .293 .368 .508 .876 51
Average .4 39.1 34.6 5.3 10.1 2.7 0.0 1.6 7.3 7.3

That is not a bad offensive team. After one game, which was well pitched by Pittsburgh, you can't suddenly throw out how good they have been doing overall. I mean sure, they might have regressed a bit last night (they only saw 110 pitches all night), but overall they are much improved.

AintlifeGrande
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Said what you will about Stubbs ''Deer in the headlights''gaffe last night.But you don't leave runners on base game after game,much less 6 left on base versus the Pirates and expect to win ball games.For lack of a better term,''get em on,get em over,and get em in'',and let the chips fall where they may.Don't leave the game to chance.Too many good hitter's on the team,and there is no reason not to be driving them in.

Mr Larkin
05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I think you guys are being a little hard on Willy. It is difficult to see a game that should have been won slip away. Like the one last night. If Drew Stubbs catches that fly ball, the Reds probably win 1-0. Don't you all hate to waste a pitching performance like Mike Leake turned in? I also had a lot of "heartburn" from Atlanta's come-from-behind win. You need to remember 1999...one game makes a big difference. TRUE REDS FANS HATE TO LOSE! :thumbup:

No Willy is wrong and needs to take a chill pill.

KySteveH
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM

What's the definition of a game that should have been won? Shouldn't the Reds be trying to win all of them? I'm just as upset about the 9-4 loss as the 2-1 loss. Either way, the Reds didn't do enough to win, whether it was one play or five.

Griffey012
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
He lost the ball in the lights. Not much he can do about it. It's not like it was sunny and he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

It is at home, though, which is kind of embarrassing. And it couldn't have come at a worse time...

Losing the ball in the sun (ala Bruce) is much more acceptable than losing it in the lights, especially at home. In Bruce's case he even turned his body to try and not look at the sun, but the ball happened to be stuck right in it. The lights should be no issue though.

roby
05-26-2010, 05:49 PM
No Willy is wrong and needs to take a chill pill.

No you are wrong and need to wake up. ;)

roby
05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
What's the definition of a game that should have been won? Shouldn't the Reds be trying to win all of them? I'm just as upset about the 9-4 loss as the 2-1 loss. Either way, the Reds didn't do enough to win, whether it was one play or five.

For one thing, the Reds definitely need to quit losing to the Pirates. They have lost enough to them for the whole season already. Yes they should be trying to win all of them...but there are some games (like when Mike Leake allows one run, and that run was not his fault) that the team OUGHT to win. I agree that I never like to lose either, but I don't expect the reds to go 162-0. I really want to see them in the post-season though.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Sorry. But, this was all on Stubbs.

It's a tight game. You can't be making stupid mistakes like he made.

He admitted that's 100% aware that there is about a 15-20 minute window this time of the year at this particular point of the night where the Center Fielder has trouble seeing the ball in the lights. So, what does he do about it? Nothing. He didn't have his shades on that would have helped him to see the ball.

He screwed up. Stubbs gets no excuses on this one.

KySteveH
05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
For one thing, the Reds definitely need to quit losing to the Pirates.

Pirates wins and losses still only count for one, same as Cardinals, Cubs, and Brewers.

roby
05-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Pirates wins and losses still only count for one, same as Cardinals, Cubs, and Brewers.

So what's your point? Good teams have to beat bad teams.

Mr Larkin
05-27-2010, 09:31 AM
No you are wrong and need to wake up. ;)

Couldn't disagree more. This team seems to be as strong as any team the Reds have put together for at least a decade. You could possibly argue two decades. Freaking out over one loss is needless. Saying that we haven't dominated a series of games is also over the top because we are winning and we are toe-to-toe with the Cards. To think that this team, a seeming contender for the first time in a while, should be dominating anybody is quite silly.

I choose to enjoy their fine play and bask in the newness of the phrase - the first place Cincinnati Reds.

bounty37h
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=roby;2096478]I think you guys are being a little hard on Willy.

That made me laugh :)

bounty37h
05-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Sorry. But, this was all on Stubbs.

It's a tight game. You can't be making stupid mistakes like he made.

He admitted that's 100% aware that there is about a 15-20 minute window this time of the year at this particular point of the night where the Center Fielder has trouble seeing the ball in the lights. So, what does he do about it? Nothing. He didn't have his shades on that would have helped him to see the ball.

He screwed up. Stubbs gets no excuses on this one.

Shades can make it difficult to see too, esp at that time of night when its not really light out, but its not yet dark. No one else saw the ball either, as the 2 corners should have been able to help him at least get close to picking it up-they said they coulnd't see it either.

Kingspoint
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
... as the 2 corners should have been able to help him at least get close to picking it up-they said they coulnd't see it either.

I was wondering why Gomes didn't catch it, also.

ILoveWilly
05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm overreacting, but with FIFTEEN years without a playoff appearance and a decade of not even having a winning record, I don't think so. I've seen plenty of false hope over these years, why is this year immune?

If you look at HOW we've lost the games, its just ultra frustrating. Look at the first game of the Braves series, we couldn't score a run off of a guy who is 0 and freaking 7! And then the second game we blow an 8 run lead, with 6 in the 9th! Then the Indians series, a 1-6 starter beat us to boot.

That's the kind of stuff you don't do if you want to be a true contender. Tonight is the perfect example of a game you take complete advantage of. Pirates starter who is 1-8 with a massive 8.75 ERA!

I mean these are perfect examples of games we should take. We couldn't beat a Braves starter who is now 0-7. We couldn't beat an Indians starter who was 1-6 going in. Blowing a massive 8 run lead in another. Missing a routine fly in another. We better win tonight, that's all I can say.

I mean, are we supposed to be happy with that stuff? Dusty's swing first, think later philosophy could come back to bite us tonight as well. If we're 4-5 innings deep with 0 or 1 runs, I am going to go nuts, because that's inexcusable against the competition we're playing. It's nice to be 27-20, but imagine the difference it would be that we could easily be 30-17 or so right now with some very simple tweaks.

BigPoppa
05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
. It's nice to be 27-20, but imagine the difference it would be that we could easily be 30-17 or so right now with some very simple tweaks.

or.......19-28 but for this team having enough gumption to come from behind and win games late or in our final at-bat

Mr Larkin
05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Maybe I'm overreacting, but with FIFTEEN years without a playoff appearance and a decade of not even having a winning record, I don't think so. I've seen plenty of false hope over these years, why is this year immune?

If you look at HOW we've lost the games, its just ultra frustrating. Look at the first game of the Braves series, we couldn't score a run off of a guy who is 0 and freaking 7! And then the second game we blow an 8 run lead, with 6 in the 9th! Then the Indians series, a 1-6 starter beat us to boot.

That's the kind of stuff you don't do if you want to be a true contender. Tonight is the perfect example of a game you take complete advantage of. Pirates starter who is 1-8 with a massive 8.75 ERA!

I mean these are perfect examples of games we should take. We couldn't beat a Braves starter who is now 0-7. We couldn't beat an Indians starter who was 1-6 going in. Blowing a massive 8 run lead in another. Missing a routine fly in another. We better win tonight, that's all I can say.

I mean, are we supposed to be happy with that stuff? Dusty's swing first, think later philosophy could come back to bite us tonight as well. If we're 4-5 innings deep with 0 or 1 runs, I am going to go nuts, because that's inexcusable against the competition we're playing. It's nice to be 27-20, but imagine the difference it would be that we could easily be 30-17 or so right now with some very simple tweaks.

Yes, you are overreacting. Just because you go up against a pitcher who has a bad record doesn't mean that you should beat him. This is baseball and on any given night a guy who is a major leager can show his true talent. A recent example from our own squad is Cairo. Many on this board think he is horrible, but in three startes in the last week he has had multi-hit nights.

So, losing to guys with high era's and only one win happens all the time, even to good teams. Add to that the facts that the Reds are new contenders and that several of their wins have come in such dramatic fashion, I would say we have won our share of the toss up games.

ian_madden
05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
The reds have a shot at winning 20 games this month, THIS MONTH! I thought going into this stretch, we had a chance at 18-20, but to actually put ourselves in this situation. It's like a dream come true. We are sitting pretty, let the good pitching, great base running, and timely hitting continue.

And I agree, Willy is wrong. Always WRONG:p:

The Voice of IH
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM
The reds have a shot at winning 20 games this month, THIS MONTH! I thought going into this stretch, we had a chance at 18-20, but to actually put ourselves in this situation. It's like a dream come true. We are sitting pretty, let the good pitching, great base running, and timely hitting continue.

And I agree, Willy is wrong. Always WRONG:p:

yep, this team has played absolutely unbelievable right now. The team is in EVERY game they play...and that means something

Mr Larkin
05-30-2010, 10:13 AM
In typical Reds style, another new way to completely screw up a game. That's why I don't want to hear anyone ever say we have a manageable "stretch" of the year looking ahead to opponents, because simply, it's the Reds and they'll manage a way to screw it up as usual. We're 3-4 since the supposed easy stretch going to Atlanta started, all 4 losses by a run, including an 8 run blown lead (6 in the 9th), and of all things contribute to losing a game because you can't see a freaking fly ball and it goes like 20 feet behind you.

Good job crew, always finding a new way to figure out how to lose. Typical Reds can't handle the easy stretch of the schedule.

How you liking us now?

Reraeding your post makes me laugh!