PDA

View Full Version : Which will happen first? Oil stops leaking from the Gulf or Cordero goes on the DL?

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm going to say that Cordero goes on the DL.

Why Baker thinks he's Mike Marshall is beyond comprehension.

Again, Al Leiter said three weeks ago that Baker is using him too much and that he's going to end up on the DL. Since then, Baker has increased his use of Cordero.

Yes. Duhsty Baker abuses pitchers.

Griffey012
05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Well a there is a portion of the board who want Cordero gone and think he is a waste on this team. So I suppose that group may get their wish :eek:

The Voice of IH
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
what do you except him to do? Cordero has at least been some what capable this year in the bull pin, everyone else has stunk, besides Rhodes of course. Baker is really in a hard position here. :dunno:

Vottomatic
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Cordero's overuse is a product of all the close games the Reds have played. Although, Dusty could use someone else to close a game once in awhile if Cordero has pitched alot of days in a row.

Although I have no idea why Dusty used him tonight. That was bizarre and uncalled for.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
what do you except him to do? Cordero has at least been some what capable this year in the bull pin, everyone else has stunk, besides Rhodes of course. Baker is really in a hard position here. :dunno:

I expect him to understand that the season is about 200 games long when you count regular season, Spring Training and the playoffs.

For Cordero to be effective the whole season (he's on pace for 90 games....a recipe that will land him on the DL), Duhsty needs to use his whole pen. Rhodes' age dictates that he probably can't pitch more than 52-55 games this season. He's on pace for 70. Cordero needs to stay on pace for under 70. Guys who can throw more innings can do so, who don't put so much stress on their arms, like the new kid, Del Rosario. Del Rosario can't sniff the mound.

The Voice of IH
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Cordero's overuse is a product of all the close games the Reds have played. Although, Dusty could use someone else to close a game once in awhile if Cordero has pitched alot of days in a row.

Although I have no idea why Dusty used him tonight. That was bizarre and uncalled for.

yep, I think that may have been a statement being made by Baker, telling his group that he can't trust anyone besides his big guys, and they need to wake up.

Griffey012
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
It's kinda a darned if you do, darned if you don't scenario. Seems like any time we try and let someone else finish out a game, regardless of how much of a lead we have, it gets to the point where Cordero has to come in anyway.

I would love to see Cordero get some much needed rest though

The Voice of IH
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I expect him to understand that the season is about 200 games long when you count regular season, Spring Training and the playoffs.

For Cordero to be effective the whole season (he's on pace for 90 games....a recipe that will land him on the DL), Duhsty needs to use his whole pen. Rhodes' age dictates that he probably can't pitch more than 52-55 games this season. He's on pace for 70. Cordero needs to stay on pace for under 70. Guys who can throw more innings can do so, who don't put so much stress on their arms, like the new kid, Del Rosario. Del Rosario can't sniff the mound.

I agree that Baker needs to use the whole pin, but like I said, it is difficult because of the lack of execution. (though it was wrong for him to put him in tonight, I can not argue that)

HalMorrisRules
05-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Coco has only pitched 3 innings more this year than last year at this point in the season. You are getting that worked up over 3 innings?

1990REDS
05-26-2010, 10:40 PM

You forgot to add the debacle that has been nick masset. how many times have we seen the reds have to use an extra arm because he cant finish the inning. he needs to either pick it up or they need to do somthin with him, the arms in the bullpen cant handle him not getting outs.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I agree that Baker needs to use the whole pin, but like I said, it is difficult because of the lack of execution.

Ondrusek failed.

Fisher has failed.

Masset has failed.

Herrera has struggled.

Cordero has struggled.

Owings has done well.

Lincoln has done well.

Rhodes has pitched like SuperMan.

All true.

Fisher needs to be given the chances to pitch because he has a great upside to him, and you have to let pitchers go through their first two seasons of errors and learning before you get to reap the benefits that usually begin in their third season. The same goes with Herrera, though there was already good success with him last season. Herrera should be good this season, but there will be ups and downs. We've already had the downs. We should be seeing the ups next, like tonight's one batter he faced.

Del Rosario is another breed. He looks like he might come right in and pitch effectively from the get-go.

This is equivalent to Owings' 4th season. He's still young (in pitching years), so he still has upside to him, and we're now reaping the benefits.

Lincoln's a veteran who has never pitched very well. He's been having a good season when you look at his WHIP....a remarkable improvement from last season, and closer to his return to 2008 when he was good.

Masset's been absolutely horrible this season. He was excellent for us in 2008 and 2009, so this is an aberation, not the norm. He needs to pitch through it, and that's probably why Dusty used him again tonight (which is a good reason regardless of my harping on Dusty about it).

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Coco has only pitched 3 innings more this year than last year at this point in the season. You are getting that worked up over 3 innings?

Like Al Leiter, who knows 100 times more about pitching than you or I, I'm getting worked up about the pace that Cordero's on in "games pitched", not innings pitched.

texasdave
05-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Cordero is on pace for a significant increase in both Games Pitched as well as Innings Pitched. Whether this is cause for concern or not I have no idea.

I will just throw out a thought here. Conspiracies are fun. Maybe Reds' Management has decided to ride Cordero long and hard, knowing that they will probably have Chapman and Volquez available for duty in the pen in the second half of the season.

ian_madden
05-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I don't know what the run differential at this point last year was but this year we are up 10 runs on the year. That can be attributed to;

1. a bullpen that is failing
2. a lack of run support or
3. we are just that clutch in the end of the game.

I heard on 1530 that you want to be up by atleast 100 runs throughout the length of a season to make the playoffs. We are no where near that. But if, IF our clutch hitting and starting pitching can continue to produce, we will be ok.

Obama will fix the leak before Coco goes on the DL.

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-28-2010, 02:27 AM
The leak will be fixed before Cordero heads to the DL
Cordero seems like a sturdy player regardless of his struggles.

RedsFanInBama
05-28-2010, 02:34 AM
I think they got the oil to stop leaking, so...

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 03:36 AM
I think they got the oil to stop leaking, so...

source please....

(He's obviously not going on the DL in the next month and the oil leak should be stopped by then. The original thread title was just a joke, not something realistic, but if you do have a source that says the leak is stopped, I'd like to read it.)

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 03:37 AM
After an 18-hour delay to assess its efforts and bring in more materials, BP resumed pumping heavy drilling mud into the blown-out well 5,000 feet underwater. Officials said it could be late Friday or the weekend before the company knows if the procedure known as a top kill has cut off the oil that has been flowing for five weeks.

mlh1981
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Well, we are facing a bad team this weekend, so you would like to think that the starters can all go deep into the games.

ian_madden
05-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, we are facing a bad team this weekend, so you would like to think that the starters can all go deep into the games.

Don't Jinx it!!!!!!!!!:D