PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Cincy for the first time!

BigRedMachine
05-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi I am Cary! I am coming up to Cincy for my Birthday to watch the Reds/ Houston series. Any ideas on what I should do while I am here?:beerme: My Birthday is Sunday, I will be 23!!

Cedric
05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
My Birthday is the 30th. I am coming up to Cincy tommarow to watch all three Reds games. Any ideas on what I should do while I am here.:beerme:

I'm partial to Clifton, Mt Adams, and Newport.

Make sure you eat at Ambar India if you like Indian food. Montgomery Inn best ribs in the country.
If you like classy bars try out City view tavern or Mt Adams pavilion. Hoffbrau house in Newport is awesome also.

For family stuff try out Newport aquarium or Cincinnati zoo. It is the second best zoo I have ever been to also.

Cedric
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Almost forgot that Taste of Cincinnati is downtown this weekend. Perfect weekend to visit! Has all the best food places in the city for drinks/small meals.

Redsfan320
05-27-2010, 04:24 PM
You must try Skyline Chili. It's amazing. I would recommend a "coney" which is a hot dog with chili and cheese, or a "3-way" which is spaghetti with chili and cheese. You must try it if you come to Cincy.

MODS: Please MOVE this thread to the NON-SPORTS CHATTER forum. THANKS!

SunDeck
05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Arnold's Bar and Grill (http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/). Friend of mine owns the place. Not your average place for a 23 year old to hang out, but you should pop in just to have a pint, at least. It's a great bar, within walking distance of GABP.

Chip R
05-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Arnold's Bar and Grill (http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/). Friend of mine owns the place. Not your average place for a 23 year old to hang out, but you should pop in just to have a pint, at least. It's a great bar, within walking distance of GABP.

Second that. Try some Christian Morelein beer - which is also served at various spots in GABP.

westofyou
05-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Skipped out on a class trip my senior year to get a burger and beer at Arnolds, when we returned to the bus to retrun to school the teacher informed us we had earned a weeks worth of detention. Replied that yes we were sorry, but felt it was worth the cost.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2010, 12:51 AM
You have to try Skyline. Get a coney and a three way. You won't regret it. If you like ribs then check out Montgomery Inn. LaRosa's Pizza is great as well. Want some ice cream? Go visit Graeter's or UDF. Cincinnati has some great food.

pedro
05-28-2010, 02:14 AM
It's been a long time but my memories of LaRosa's Pizza are not good.

BigPoppa
05-28-2010, 02:16 AM

My memories of LaRosa's are recent and delicious.

Redsfan320
05-28-2010, 08:54 AM
My memories of LaRosa's are recent and delicious.

Mine too! Another Cincy must-eat.

westofyou
05-28-2010, 08:56 AM

It's been a short time for me and it still sucks.

SunDeck
05-28-2010, 10:29 AM

If there is one thing I don't like about Larosa's is the fact that they still use a lot of frozen doughs instead of hand tossed for there basic pizzas. However, they still bake on stones rather than using oiled screens or pans on a conveyor belt. At least they do in the good stores. Generally, when you go to a LaRosa's, you are going to eat something that is made out of pretty good ingredients and they are still operating under the philosophy that the product matters. It's not a high class deli, but I would not say they suck.

I grew up interacting with the LaRosas and a couple other families that had original franchises. They were always a good company that took care of their people. It's amazing how many employees started working there as kids and are still there, twenty five years later. Many of them were hired by Buddy or one of his sons because they knew the kids couldn't get work elsewhere due to developmental issues.

westofyou
05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
If there is one thing I don't like about Larosa's is the fact that they still use a lot of frozen doughs instead of hand tossed for there basic pizzas. However, they still bake on stones rather than using oiled screens or pans on a conveyor belt. At least they do in the good stores. Generally, when you go to a LaRosa's, you are going to eat something that is made out of pretty good ingredients and they are still operating under the philosophy that the product matters. It's not a high class deli, but I would not say they suck.

I grew up interacting with the LaRosas and a couple other families that had original franchises. They were always a good company that took care of their people. It's amazing how many employees started working there as kids and are still there, twenty five years later. Many of them were hired by Buddy or one of his sons because they knew the kids couldn't get work elsewhere due to developmental issues.
Suck is strong, I'll admit.. It's not my type of pizza, but my wifes family LOVES it, so we always have it.

I don't like the sauce, and they also are very heavy on the sauce.

Chip R
05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't say LaRosa's sucks. It's on a par with school pizza.

SunDeck
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Suck is strong, I'll admit.. It's not my type of pizza, but my wifes family LOVES it, so we always have it.

I don't like the sauce, and they also are very heavy on the sauce.

It's sweet, and I think it's the kind of pizza you have to grow up with to like. And they have such a loyal following that introducing something different always comes with risk.

In truth, I'd rather go to Deweys (http://www.deweyspizza.com/) than LaRosas (Trying to get this thread back on track). I've been making my own pizza for over 25 years and I'd rank Dewey's as about the best in Cincinnati.

westofyou
05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
It's sweet, and I think it's the kind of pizza you have to grow up with to like. And they have such a loyal following that introducing something different always comes with risk.

In truth, I'd rather go to Deweys (http://www.deweyspizza.com/) than LaRosas (Trying to get this thread back on track). I've been making my own pizza for over 25 years and I'd rank Dewey's as about the best in Cincinnati.

Thanks for the tip, there's one in my MiL's hood

West Chester

7663 Cox Ln.
West Chester, OH 45069

By the ballpark:

http://www.deweyspizza.com/cincinnati/newport

redsmetz
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM

I would second this. It is by far the best pizza I've ever had. The crust is fabulous. And they'll split the pizza down the middle if one of you want one kind and the other another, including half red sauce, half oil or white sauce. Their salads are great too. Yum.

RBA
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
For Italian try:
Pizza Hut
Dominos
Papa Johns

For Burgers:
McDonalds

For Mexican:
Taco Bell

Red in Chicago
05-30-2010, 09:02 PM

LaRosa's is bad. The first time I had it was at the ball park a few years ago. I couldn't finish the piece that I bought. The next year, we were driving around looking for a place to eat and came across an actual LaRosa's restaurant. Thinking maybe it was just a bad experience at the ball park, we went ahead and gave it another chance. What a waste.

pedro
05-31-2010, 02:56 PM
LaRosa's is bad. The first time I had it was at the ball park a few years ago. I couldn't finish the piece that I bought. The next year, we were driving around looking for a place to eat and came across an actual LaRosa's restaurant. Thinking maybe it was just a bad experience at the ball park, we went ahead and gave it another chance. What a waste.

I always felt like the sauce tasted like Ketchup.

Lots of people do love it though.

BearcatShane
06-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I could eat LaRosa's 7 days a week.

Redsfan320
06-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I could eat LaRosa's 7 days a week.

... And twice on Sundays!

westofyou
06-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Lots of people do love it though.

Lots of people love Lady Ga Ga too.

reds1869
06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I also nominate Dewey's pizza as a must eat food.