PDA

View Full Version : Assuming we're in the hunt, who will the Reds target at the trade deadline?

rolenmvp
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
if for some reason we are in the hunt at the trade deadline and I truly believe we will be, who do you think we will go after? I think we need bullpen help or some kind of hitter that comes off the bench? anybody have any ideas what jocketty will do?

Kingspoint
05-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't think we need anything.

thorn
05-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Call me Crazy, but if Harang continues to struggle and Baily can't make it back and be affective, we won't have the privilege of running guys in an out of the 5th spot from AAA. Leake is a rookie, a good one, but still a rookie, can we content with him and another rookie trying to make up for Harang and or Baily? If anything, we go for another starter.

NeilHamburger
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Meek from Pittsburgh would like nice in the 8th inning for the Reds.

Roush's socks
05-27-2010, 11:41 PM
I think at some point Chapman will get some kind of burn even though he still has work to do. But he could be effective now, maybe in the bullpen, if the Reds are in the hunt as the season develops. He is almost un-hittable against LH batters and could be great in situational at bats.

If they aren't going to play Maloney they should trade him, although I think he has some kind of blister issue that he needs to resolve before any team would want him. Also, Wood could get a shot in the rotation if Lecure struggles Friday. Plus Volquez could very well be ready be August for limited use, but I believe he won't be back till 2011.

As far as trading for a hitter, I would be against spending money on an older player when the Reds will need to save money to keep Votto, Cueto, Bruce etc. when they are ready to extend.

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Before the trade deadline gets here (what is that, August 1st?), several things are going to happen first. We'll have had Jared Burton back for 6+ weeks and we'll have had Bill Bray back for 2+ weeks.

Those are two proven relief pitchers who will be options for the team before we even begin to think of looking at players who have been at Louisville (Chapman, Volquez in extended rehab, etc.) or are on other teams.

Then, there's still Harang, who if he doesn't change and improve in June, may find himself moved for who-knows-what, or asked to go to the bullpen.

Also, if Masset and Cordero show any effects from their extensive work they've had the first 1/3rd of the season, it will show up around the trade deadline. Cordero won't be replaced unless he goes on the DL. If he pitches poorly, they'll just keep throwing him out there. Masset, though, could be moved (wherever) if he proves to be overused or doesn't recover his form he showed for us before.

And, I still think Del Rosario has a good chance to stick with the Major League club. He's got options, so he could lose out to someone because of that, but if he outperforms everyone, they'll have to let him stay. Rough night last night, but if Dusty gives him more chances, I think he'll come through. He really didn't pitch badly except for the walk. He got 4 ground balls, two for outs, and two for hits.

GIDP
05-28-2010, 08:19 AM
I dont see many fits in the trade market.

Vottomatic
05-28-2010, 08:22 AM
We need a #1 starter if we make the postseason. Cliff Lee is a viable option. He's a FA after the season and won't require selling the farm. My hope is that Jocketty has already spoken to Seattle and proposed a reasonable trade for him.

I'm fine with our offense. Bolstering the bullpen is another need.

SidneySlicker
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm pretty happy with things right now. If they keep getting quality starts from their starters I think the bullpen will work itself out. If I'd do anything at the trade deadline it would be to try to move Coco. I'd move Rhodes to the closer and try and bring in a cheaper set up guy. That's just me however.

arkimadee
05-28-2010, 09:39 AM
We need a #1 starter if we make the postseason. Cliff Lee is a viable option. He's a FA after the season and won't require selling the farm. My hope is that Jocketty has already spoken to Seattle and proposed a reasonable trade for him.

If the last few starts keep holding up, then we have a #1 starter by the name of Johnny Cueto.

ian_madden
05-28-2010, 09:53 AM

I believe Cliff Lee will require selling the farm.

Trace's Daddy
05-28-2010, 09:54 AM
If we're in the hunt, just leave it as is.

If they are not in the hunt, and with all of the pitching the Reds have (and will have), moving CoCo and/or Harang would make sense to me.

The Voice of IH
05-28-2010, 10:07 AM
This is something that we have tired to debate for the past 3 weeks, going from Oswalt, to Lee. but it really is difficult to discussed without knowing for sure who will be available.

vottofan4life
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I remember seeing somewhere that Dan Haren could be used as trade bait but it would take something super good to get him..

Joakim Soria could be someone we look at to shore up the bullpen. Maybe trade Masset, Maloney, and Sutton for Soria and Callaspo.

I also think that if we get a number 1 starter back we could send out either Harang, Cordero Or Arroyo like in a 3 way trade to even the money out

Starting pitchers available: Roy Oswalt, Ben Sheets, Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, Jeff Francis, Zach Duke, Paul Maholm, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buerhle, Jake Westbrook, Fausto Carmona, Jeremy Guthrie, Kevin Millwood, Zach Grienke, Brian Bannister

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 04:13 PM

For the majority of the season, Cueto, Leake, and Arroyo have all pitched like #1 starters with Cueto pithing lights out over his last six starts.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
What do you consider struggling by Harang?

Call me Crazy, but if Harang continues to struggle and Baily can't make it back and be affective, we won't have the privilege of running guys in an out of the 5th spot from AAA. Leake is a rookie, a good one, but still a rookie, can we content with him and another rookie trying to make up for Harang and or Baily? If anything, we go for another starter.

Jack Burton
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Phillies will need a closer. Why not try Phillips & Cordero for Utley.

Phillies would never part w/ Utley however.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Burton maybe, but Bray can't stay healthy and even when he is, he is not what I would consider as dominating or proven to say the least. Exactly what more then what he has been doing do you expect from Harang? Also how was Del Rosairo's outling last night rough?

Before the trade deadline gets here (what is that, August 1st?), several things are going to happen first. We'll have had Jared Burton back for 6+ weeks and we'll have had Bill Bray back for 2+ weeks.

Those are two proven relief pitchers who will be options for the team before we even begin to think of looking at players who have been at Louisville (Chapman, Volquez in extended rehab, etc.) or are on other teams.

Then, there's still Harang, who if he doesn't change and improve in June, may find himself moved for who-knows-what, or asked to go to the bullpen.

Also, if Masset and Cordero show any effects from their extensive work they've had the first 1/3rd of the season, it will show up around the trade deadline. Cordero won't be replaced unless he goes on the DL. If he pitches poorly, they'll just keep throwing him out there. Masset, though, could be moved (wherever) if he proves to be overused or doesn't recover his form he showed for us before.

And, I still think Del Rosario has a good chance to stick with the Major League club. He's got options, so he could lose out to someone because of that, but if he outperforms everyone, they'll have to let him stay. Rough night last night, but if Dusty gives him more chances, I think he'll come through. He really didn't pitch badly except for the walk. He got 4 ground balls, two for outs, and two for hits.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Just say NO to any deal involving Lee. The last thing this team needs to do is "rent" a player. We have a solid starting rotation, why screw with that and part with good young productive players which is what it is going to take.:confused:

AintlifeGrande
05-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I hate assuming,at least till the end of June.

Jack Burton
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Phillies will need a closer. Why not try Phillips & Cordero for Utley.

Phillies would never part w/ Utley however.

Throw in Cabrera if that will sweeten the pot, and Cairo and Hernandez....

jredmo2
05-28-2010, 04:32 PM
The only spots I would look for are SS and CF, but the Reds management seems content with what they have. Maybe a decent utility infielder.

thorn
05-28-2010, 04:42 PM

The way he's pitching right now, he needs to be better, you can't count on Leake pitching 200+ innings and the post season as well, nor can you count on Volquez comming back and being himself.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
So you want more then 6-7 innings per outing and averaging 3-4 runs given up a game? What exactly are your expectations of Harang?

The way he's pitching right now, he needs to be better, you can't count on Leake pitching 200+ innings and the post season as well, nor can you count on Volquez comming back and being himself.

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Six of his 10 starts, including his last 3 starts. Of his 4 starts that weren't "struggling", two of those were just "blah" or "average" for a National League Starter.

The other two, both against the Cubs while being very good performances, were just "average" peformances if he was on the Cardinals or Giants staff.

On the whole for the season, he's pitched poorly. He's ranked 67th out of 74 NL Starters for Average Game Score. People ranked 67th out of 74 need to be weeded out.

All that said, there's still a chance he turns it around, but if it doesn't happen beginning right now, it's never going to happen. Harang doesn't have any more rope left. All the excuses are gone. He either starts pitching well right now, or you can put a fork in him.

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Maybe a decent utility infielder.

They have one in Drew Sutton.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
His last start was fine, he went 6 innings giving up 2 runs, what is wrong with that? Exactly what are your wanting?

Six of his 10 starts, including his last 3 starts. Of his 4 starts that weren't "struggling", two of those were just "blah" or "average" for a National League Starter.

The other two, both against the Cubs while being very good performances, were just "average" peformances if he was on the Cardinals or Giants staff.

On the whole for the season, he's pitched poorly. He's ranked 67th out of 74 NL Starters for Average Game Score. People ranked 67th out of 74 need to be weeded out.

All that said, there's still a chance he turns it around, but if it doesn't happen beginning right now, it's never going to happen. Harang doesn't have any more rope left. All the excuses are gone. He either starts pitching well right now, or you can put a fork in him.

thorn
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
So you want more then 6-7 innings per outing and averaging 3-4 runs given up a game? What exactly are your expectations of Harang?

In the month of May, he pitched 31 innings, 38 H, 5 HR, a 1.42 WHIP and opponents are hitting .302, yea, he needs to be a lot better just to make the playoffs.

thorn
05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
His last start was fine, he went 6 innings giving up 2 runs, what is wrong with that? Exactly what are your wanting?

His last game was 6.1 IN, 8H, 5R, 4 ER against pittsburgh, not sure what game your looking at.

Brisco
05-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I was thinking about this today before reading this thread... and I think if Walt Jocketty stays true to form, there are one of three potential types of trades we would do:

1. Injury replacement. If Rolen or some other embedded starter is hurt we will find someone to replace the.
2. Move Harang if and only if the Reds think that we have a better much better starter in the bulpen or at triple A.
3. Acquire a "character" role player. I think this is the trade that is most likely to happen... I see Walt finding another player that has significant postseason experience, but is not a front line player anymore. We have a lot of youth and I think they will trade for another calming presence in the locker room as the race starts to heat up.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't blame him for those 3 other runs, that is all on Dusty are "manager". Anyone with a brain could see Harang was done and the bullpen should have been called in after he allowed the one baserunner, again our "manager" let the team down by not know how to handle his pitching staff, so no, Harang went 6 and gave up two runs, while driving in a run and scoring a run, a good outing in my book.

His last game was 6.1 IN, 8H, 5R, 4 ER against pittsburgh, not sure what game your looking at.

brm7675
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
outside of an injury that removes a player either for the year or a considerable amount of time, why is there any need to make any deal? We have to look beyond just this season. Also the last thing we need is another 'vet" that Dusty will fall in love with and give more playing time to then the good young players on the team now or in the system.

I was thinking about this today before reading this thread... and I think if Walt Jocketty stays true to form, there are one of three potential types of trades we would do:

1. Injury replacement. If Rolen or some other embedded starter is hurt we will find someone to replace the.
2. Move Harang if and only if the Reds think that we have a better much better starter in the bulpen or at triple A.
3. Acquire a "character" role player. I think this is the trade that is most likely to happen... I see Walt finding another player that has significant postseason experience, but is not a front line player anymore. We have a lot of youth and I think they will trade for another calming presence in the locker room as the race starts to heat up.

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Harang pitched poorly his last start.

He had a 1.580 WHIP. That's poor under any scenario.

5 runs were scored on him in 6.1 innings. That's poor under any scenario. It doesn't matter if they're "earned" or not. If he hadn't allowed so many baserunners (his 1.580 WHIP), then as many runs wouldn't have scored.

He couldn't get past 6.1 innings. There's nothing good about that.

He gave up another homerun (only 1 pitcher is worse this year at doing that). That's bad under any scenario. He just keeps giving up the extra-base hits.

His last performance was his worst pitching performance in of his last six starts. His previous 5 starts were better.

GIDP
05-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Its hard for this reds team to make a move unless someone gets hurt imo.

They still have Volquez coming, Chapman will see time at some point up here be it out of the pen or in the rotation, this Jocketty has said so basically, and LF platoon has been basically more productive than the possible replacements.

Only place I can see an upgrade coming is CF and honestly I dont really see it being done.

ian_madden
05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Its hard for this reds team to make a move unless someone gets hurt imo.

They still have Volquez coming, Chapman will see time at some point up here be it out of the pen or in the rotation, this Jocketty has said so basically, and LF platoon has been basically more productive than the possible replacements.

Only place I can see an upgrade coming is CF and honestly I dont really see it being done.

:thumbup: I don't see any glaring weakness that cant be fixed within house right now. I don't want to bring in a rent a player and screw up our chemistry. I also don't want a veteran come in and take time away from our young guys that are learning on the job.

RedsFanInBama
05-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Help in the bullpen was my immediate thought, but I had forgotten about Burton and Bray. I'll stay with the thought that if we can acquire a bullpen arm or two, that would be a smart thing to do just because you never know how those two guys will look this year. We should have enough time to gauge Burton but Bray may not be back in time to really gauge where he's at.

vottofan4life
05-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Soria or Kerry woods if the Indians pay his contract

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
You have to ask yourself if the 4 pitchers in triple AAA could do any worse than Harang?

If you say "no", then Harang can be traded. It's just finding a willing trade partner and not asking for too much in return, if anything. I think a club with a ballpark that isn't a launching pad would be a good fit for Aaron.

Fullboat
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I like the Cliff Lee Idea.The Reds pitching staff is good but not very experienced
when it comes to post season play only Arroyo has been there.