PDA

View Full Version : runs scored vs runs allowed

webbbj
05-28-2010, 02:11 AM
i was looking at the runs scored vs runs allowed so far this season and i want to know if these stats are misleading because we rank 12th in the NL in runs allowed and 3rd in runs scored in the NL.

I was under the impression from watching the games and scores that we had great pitching and a solid but not great offense but these RA and RS stats seem to dispute that.

Is there something deeper to it than that?

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Our start to the season was really horrendous. We gave up a ton of runs.

scott91575
05-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Our start to the season was really horrendous. We gave up a ton of runs.

Yep, in April the Reds gave up 10 runs or more in 4 ballgames (a total of 45 runs in 4 games). That is over 20% of the runs the Reds have given up. Then add in the 2 debacles in May (14 to the Cubs and 10 to the Braves), that is over 31% of the total runs given up in 6 games.

Want to know the worst thing? In those 6 games Harang pitched 3 of them. Arroyo had one (his annual batting practice start), Bailey had one, and the other was Leake (and that was the bullpen's fault). In other words, Harang is a blowout waiting to happen every time he takes the mound.

Anyway, back to the point....The Reds have given up 10 runs or more 6 times. That is what skews those numbers. For the most part the Reds have pitched well, but when they don't, look out!