PDA

View Full Version : A little love for Cairo

Griffey012
05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
This guy is en fuego! I know this entire board, well probably 95+% of it wanted him gone long ago. But he is stepping up huge with Joey out.

Thanks for the lift Miguel, you may hang onto your job for an extra month now. :thumbup:

kfm
05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
This guy is en fuego! I know this entire board, well probably 95+% of it wanted him gone long ago. But he is stepping up huge with Joey out.

Thanks for the lift Miguel, you may hang onto your job for an extra month now. :thumbup:

You are exactly right. I was definitely one of those trying to figure out why he was on the team. I can see why, I think I need to have more faith in Walt and stop second guessing him. He has made a number of moves that I was not crazy about at the time, that so far have turned out to be very good moves.

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 08:50 PM
You are exactly right. I was definitely one of those trying to figure out why he was on the team. I can see why, I think I need to have more faith in Walt and stop second guessing him. He has made a number of moves that I was not crazy about at the time, that so far have turned out to be very good moves.

Ditto.

And Dickerson's comments in the booth made me appreciate Cairo even more.

scott91575
05-29-2010, 09:11 PM
I was wrong.

kfm
05-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Ditto.

And Dickerson's comments in the booth made me appreciate Cairo even more.

I found Dickerson's comments very enlightening as well. They had the same impact on me.

davereds24
05-29-2010, 10:02 PM
what were the comments?

muddie
05-29-2010, 10:06 PM
what were the comments?

I'd like to know as well. I was listening to the Mudcats game on the radio and watching the Reds on the tube w/o the sound. Thanks for any help.

kfm
05-29-2010, 10:06 PM
what were the comments?

Dickerson mentioned what a positive influence Cairo is with the younger players. He also mentioned that Cairo keeps everyone loose, apparently he is the resident comedian.

davereds24
05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
very cool, thanks for the info

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 10:10 PM
I really enjoyed Dickerson's time in the TV booth. Very well spoken and gave good insight into the clubhouse with info about alot of players. Good stuff.

bigredmechanism
05-29-2010, 10:30 PM
I was wrong.

Me too.

sabometrics
05-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Gotta tip my cap to the guy. Before this week I wanted Sutton to permanently replace the guy on the bench, but he probably sensed his job was on the line when Janish went on the Bereavement List and Sutton came up, and performed admirably since then. What a difference a few games can make.

Griffey012
05-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Almost more important to me than his recent performance is Dickerson's comments about keeping the team loose and cracking jokes and stuff. Guys like that can really help a clubhouse mesh, and get through adversity.

HalMorrisRules
05-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I wont go and say I told you so because I never said it about him but I never bad mouthed him either. I just had stated that every time I had heard Dusty talk about him was in the viewpoint of him adding a stable veteran "winning" presence in the clubhouse. I think Cairo, Cabrera and Rolen are exactly what this young team needed. That being people who had won elsewhere that could guide these young guys into that territory. Sometimes there is more than just performance on the field, stuff that we will never see, but something like what Dickerson shared with us tonight. I thought it was interesting that Brantley had a comment saying something about those three guys being the "right kind of veterans" that they needed. I took that to be a not so subtle slap at Jr and Dunn. Maybe I read too much into it, but thats really what I interpreted from it.

texasdave
05-30-2010, 12:19 AM
You get the feeling it is your year when Joey Votto gets injured and is replaced by Miguel Cairo without missing a beat.

BigPoppa
05-30-2010, 12:22 AM
You get the feeling it is your year when Joey Votto gets injured and is replaced by Miguel Cairo without missing a beat.

this :thumbup:

Kingspoint
05-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Cairo, you've come through. You've earned your time here after the bad start in April (consistent with what was expected). But, you more than made up for it. Tremendous effort filling in for Joey Votto. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations and thanks!

:beerme:

1990REDS
05-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I wont go and say I told you so because I never said it about him but I never bad mouthed him either. I just had stated that every time I had heard Dusty talk about him was in the viewpoint of him adding a stable veteran "winning" presence in the clubhouse. I think Cairo, Cabrera and Rolen are exactly what this young team needed. That being people who had won elsewhere that could guide these young guys into that territory. Sometimes there is more than just performance on the field, stuff that we will never see, but something like what Dickerson shared with us tonight. I thought it was interesting that Brantley had a comment saying something about those three guys being the "right kind of veterans" that they needed. I took that to be a not so subtle slap at Jr and Dunn. Maybe I read too much into it, but thats really what I interpreted from it.

i could be mistaken, but wasnt thier some sort of incident between brantly and junior before he left?

Ohioballplayer
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I must admit, I bad mouth him to my friends all the time, wondered why he was still on the team even with his "experience", I thought he would make a better bench coach than a utility guy. Now while it was nice to see him have a great weekend and make me eat my words, what exactly happens next time???

Griffey012
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I must admit, I bad mouth him to my friends all the time, wondered why he was still on the team even with his "experience", I thought he would make a better bench coach than a utility guy. Now while it was nice to see him have a great weekend and make me eat my words, what exactly happens next time???

I don't think anyone is saying that Cairo is great or will keep being a productive player for us. It's just simply some congratulations for a job well done while filling in for Votto and helping this team win in a big way. And nothing more than that. Hopefully their isn't a next time and he goes back to playing about twice a month.

RedsfaninOKC
05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I think Miggy has that mindset "You know everyone else is doing great, no reason I can't" and he goes up there and does well just like everyone else has this year. He's been around a long time and knows what it takes to win, he's not going to want to be a vet on a winning team and not contributing to it at all.

bubbachunk
05-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Sometimes crow tastes good but I still think Sutton is a better option all things considered.

Griffey012
05-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Sometimes crow tastes good but I still think Sutton is a better option all things considered.
I used to, but after hearing the comments from players about his clubhouse presence I don't think Sutton is a better option. As far as baseball talent, Sutton is better. But as far as being the 24th or 25th man on the team, Cairo's effect on the clubhouse will outweigh the difference in performance during minimal playing time.

BurgervilleBuck
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Since I called for Cairo's head (among others) after that horrible blown loss, I'm willing to concede that he's more than made up for that with his currents stretch.

As one of my co-workers said, I feel like I should bake him a cake.

redhat
06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
As a guy who watched Cairo play for the Cards for a number of years, I believe you're going to appreciate him more and more as time goes by. He's not a great hitter or fielder, but he has a lot of experience in postseason play, and knows what it takes to get there.