PDA

View Full Version : With the 2nd best record in baseball, leading the league in runs and OPS the Reds...

GIDP
05-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Just got shut out from BBTN on ESPN. Unless I missed it I watched a complete hour of baseball tonight and there wasnt a single mention of the Reds game.

:laugh:

nouseforaname
05-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Nope, you didn't miss it. I watched the entire show as well (well had it on while on the computer), and thinking I missed it, posted on the Reds board on ESPN.com. Another poster confirmed that there was no mention of the Redlegs.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 01:31 AM
They showed Halldays perfect game highlights 3 times BTW. Which is fine but they showed the same highlights 3 times once with some music so I guess its cooler and more important.

They also fit in Kurkgems which can be interesting apparently is more important also.

They also took their time to go sit at a table, and talk about Buster Posey who wasnt making his MLB debut but apparently is more important than the 2nd best team in baseball.

:(

nouseforaname
05-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Maybe they think it counts as a Reds highlight because Juan Castro made the final out in Halladay's perfect game. Oh well, they can't ignore the Reds forever, as long as they keep winning. I'm just happy to be 3-0 at games I've attended this year...I didn't see a single win in person in 08 or 09. It was rough.

sabometrics
05-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Taking no other factors into account (like an upcoming ESPN game featuring a certain team) I wasn't surprised at all to see the Reds missing the cut on BBTN yet again.

BUT I am very surprised they haven't used the Reds' success this weekend as fodder to hype up that Wednesday night game. I fully expected a couple minute sit-down to talk about the Reds and hype up the Memorial Day series against the Cards. Maybe that was shuffled around to today after the busy night yesterday.

gedred69
05-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Yep, this is really starting to irritate me. The Reds have climbed to the 2nd best record in all of Baseball, and absolutely none of the National Press is giving it even an "oh, by the way" ESPN or MLB.com. I wonder what the talking heads might have to say if they win a couple in StL? Looking at the team stats, there isn't many areas where the Reds aren't currently #1. Avg., Runs, OBP, Slg., Hits, HRs........Okay, I realize that they have had good stats only to "June swoon" in recent memory, but c'mon! There isn't anybody playing better right now.

nouseforaname
05-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Good point sabo. I hadn't thought of that. But I was pretty surprised that they didn't show the Reds on Baseball Tonight. I figured a game with 6 homers with two guys hitting 2 dingers would get at least 15 seconds of airtime. Bruce's 2nd one was launched.

And as I type this, at least sportscenter is showing the Redlegs.

sabometrics
05-30-2010, 01:45 AM
BTW Kurkgems are interesting as long as I'm still seeing the highlights of all 15 Major League games. But once his segment starts bumping actual highlights it's time for it to go. I could care less if Joe West and Bob Davidson are in a heated race for the most tosses by an umpire all-time, show me the freaking highlights and leave your egos at the door.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Since April 11th they have the 2nd best record in baseball. You read that correct. Since the 5th game of the year they have been the 2nd best team in baseball.

Best record in baseball since April 25th

They have the best record in may.

I wouldnt mention them either.

RedsfaninOKC
05-30-2010, 01:50 AM
It's been a fun season, I am very excited, aside from 1999, we have stunk every season of my life I've really been able to keep up and follow the Reds.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Best home record in baseball also.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 01:53 AM
I dont think they showed Oakland highlights either. They are leading their division also.

RedsfaninOKC
05-30-2010, 01:55 AM
I heard a stat tonight we have hit a home run in 18 straight games...hope we can keep that up as well..be nice to set a record...I remember the Rangers hitting a homer in 27 games in a row in like 02.

webbbj
05-30-2010, 01:55 AM
i hardly ever watch BBTN but i thought they just showed all the highlights even if it was just for 10 seconds but they have had a few mentions on shows like PTI and ATH.

nouseforaname
05-30-2010, 01:59 AM
What really bothered me was that Baseball Tonight showed Stephen Strasburg's highlights (a MINOR LEAGUER), instead of the 2nd best team in baseball.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 02:02 AM
What really bothered me was that Baseball Tonight showed Stephen Strasburg's highlights (a MINOR LEAGUER), instead of the 2nd best team in baseball.

:laugh: Its really silly.

Reds
05-30-2010, 02:03 AM
I used to love baseball tonight, stopped watching when I had a choice though (mlb network). The Network is so much more complete, and they got Gammons.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 02:05 AM
I used to love baseball tonight, stopped watching when I had a choice though (mlb network). The Network is so much more complete, and they got Gammons.

Yea MLB network does so much better. They still give NY and Boston a ton of coverage but they also give the rest of the league their fair share.

Kingspoint
05-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Just got shut out from BBTN on ESPN. Unless I missed it I watched a complete hour of baseball tonight and there wasnt a single mention of the Reds game.

You're laughing, but I'd be upset.

I was gone all day and all evening (out hiking five waterfalls). Came home and the only thing anyone was talking about was the celebration injury and Halladay's Perfect Game, and rightfully so. I thought it was great that one more day the REDS get to fly under the radar. Especially now with the injuries starting to pile up.

Janish is back, Sutton is down, Corky is up, Dickerson is on the 60-day DL, Hanigan is on the DL. That's a lot of player movement in one day. That will be enough noise for the team before their last game before flying to St. Louis to face a Sea of 48,000 red-dressed screaming fans for a first place showdown.

nouseforaname
05-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Wish I had MLB Network. I too used to love BBTN, in fact it became my favorite television show when i was like 12. It really has become a joke though, and it's a shame, because it was the way to get away from the "hipness" of Sportscenter.

Reds
05-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Also with 18 straight games with a HR we're only 10 away from breaking the modern record, I do believe. They'll have to mention that.

scott91575
05-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Since April 11th they have the 2nd best record in baseball. You read that correct. Since the 5th game of the year they have been the 2nd best team in baseball.

Umm, since the first game of the season they have the 2nd best record in baseball.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Umm, since the first game of the season they have the 2nd best record in baseball.

I was trying to show that they just arent on a recent hotstreak to take over 2nd. :)

1990REDS
05-30-2010, 11:04 AM

a lot of times when im busy i will dvr the game and watch it later in the night. last night when i was out running errand i thought to myself maybe i shouldnt listen to espn radio so i dont hear the score. could you belive i was driving for 45 minutes and didnt hear a mention of the reds once. not even a score update while the game was going on. does espn even relize thiers teams in more than like 4 citys? i know they only talk about stuff that they think gets ratings but dont people like surprise or underdog stories?