PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to announce retirement

TheOnlyRedsFan
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
SEATTLE -- Ken Griffey Jr. is retiring Wednesday, FanHouse has learned.

Sources said that Griffey, who didn't report to Safeco Field for the Mariners' game against the Minnesota Twins Wednesday, is saying "it's over.''

Griffey, the man who more than any other helped build the Mariners into a viable franchise as the premier center fielder of the the 1990s, played for Seattle from 1989-1999 and came back again in 2009 where he helped revitalized the franchise.

But he hasn't been able to duplicate that success in 2010 and he's gotten increasingly less playing time. He's only had seven at-bats since May 18 as Mike Sweeney has become increasingly more productive as the Mariners' designated hitter.

The formal announcement should come within the hour.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/02/ken-griffey-jr-to-announce-retirement/

HalMorrisRules
06-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Baseball Tonight is reporting it also. Live happily ever after Junior.:wave:

Griffey012
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
It is definitely his time to go, and I am glad to see he didn't force a PR nightmare by making them release him. Guaranteed first ballot HOF'er.

Really hard to realize he is going to be out of the game...seems like not all that long ago I was 7, fell in love with Griffey, and spent the next 6 years of my life imitating him while playing whiffleball/baseball in the backyard and on the diamonds.

Thanks for a tremendous career, and allowing me to not watch my childhood idol become a complete disgrace to the game of baseball by juicing up.

KGJ has his faults, but we all do, but as I get older, it is nice to know he seems like he is a great dad/husband along with being a professional athlete... that's just not something you see to often anymore.

Here's to the Kid! :beerme:

Donder
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Despite suspecting this was coming, it is hard to believe. It would be interesting (albeit impossible) to know how many people are baseball fans because of him.

I'm young enough that I don't really remember baseball before Jr. He'll be missed.

texasdave
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
He had one sweet swing. Best of luck in the future and thank you for some great memories. :beerme:

Griffey012
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Despite suspecting this was coming, it is hard to believe. It would be interesting (albeit impossible) to know how many people are baseball fans because of him.

I'm young enough that I don't really remember baseball before Jr. He'll be missed.

The only thing I remember about baseball before Junior was Chris Sabo's goofy goggles at spring training in 1991. And Nolan Ryan being some sort of machine. I think...I was 4 and a half. Fell in love with Junior around 1992 simply by watching him make amazing plays against my brother's beloved White Sox on WGN. It always sucked as a kid only getting to watch him on tv a handful of times a year, and most of those were tape recorded because they were on tv past my bedtime.

And best of all, because of him he brought me back to being a Reds fan, which is what I was born and bread to be.

Reds
06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
He was the best hitter of the 90's.. one of my all time favorite players, even before he came to cincy.

mlh1981
06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I hope history doesn't remember him as the "what could have been?" guy. Lets remember him for what he was--which is, a player who achieved more than 98 percent of Major Leaguers to ever lace 'em up......

By the way, when I went to the Reds game on Sunday, I still see a TON of Griffey shirts/jerseys in the crowd. Random observation......

Kingspoint
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm disappointed he couldn't hold on another 10 days until the REDS get to play in Seattle. It would be the right thing to do if he would play in that 3-game series, and then retires.

Kingspoint
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Thank you, Junior, for EVERYTHING!

:beerme:

Vottomatic
06-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Glad to see him do the right thing instead of force an embarrassing situation.

Great player who's time to hang it up has come.

Kingspoint
06-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Junior's numbers are skewered because he really would have dominated if so many hadn't taken steroids.

Ænima
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
It is very hard to imagine the game of baseball without The Kid.

Thanks for all the memories, Junior.

Kingspoint
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm disappointed he couldn't hold on another 10 days until the REDS get to play in Seattle. It would be the right thing to do if he would play in that 3-game series, and then retires.

Marty Brennaman just said the same thing.

sabometrics
06-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Would have been nice to see him retire after playing the Reds, but this was weeks overdue already. Sad to see him go, and I will always look back and wonder what could have been.

First ballot Hall of Famer in a time where you can't say that about many, and definitely one of the best to ever play the game.

Jr's Boy
06-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Enjoy retirement Junior,too bad you took less money to play for the Reds after being hoodwinked by the Reds front office into thinking they were going to spend some money and field a competitive team.Still was awesome to see Junior a Red.

webbbj
06-03-2010, 01:36 AM
griffey was my favorite player of all time. when he played in seattle it was must see tv for me, i remember getting VHS tapes and recording his games if i knew i wouldnt be able to watch. when he came to the reds that was probably my best moment as a reds fan. but as a fan i would trade his time for the reds to see him healthy and in the playoffs every year winning championships.

if not for all the injuries i think he coulda got 800.

webbbj
06-03-2010, 01:38 AM
I hope history doesn't remember him as the "what could have been?" guy. Lets remember him for what he was--which is, a player who achieved more than 99.9 percent of Major Leaguers to ever lace 'em up......

By the way, when I went to the Reds game on Sunday, I still see a TON of Griffey shirts/jerseys in the crowd. Random observation......

^^^^^
this

he had may have had the greatest 10 year run in ever in baseball.

ian_madden
06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
JR. was great! Thanks for the memories. We never appreciated what we had. I for one went and watched the greatest baseball player of our generation as much as I could. I followed him on his hunt for 500 and was extremely upset I did not see 600 in person. And even better, he did it clean! Take that St. Louis and Chicago.

bounty37h
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
It is definitely his time to go, and I am glad to see he didn't force a PR nightmare by making them release him. Guaranteed first ballot HOF'er.

Really hard to realize he is going to be out of the game...seems like not all that long ago I was 7, fell in love with Griffey, and spent the next 6 years of my life imitating him while playing whiffleball/baseball in the backyard and on the diamonds.

Thanks for a tremendous career, and allowing me to not watch my childhood idol become a complete disgrace to the game of baseball by juicing up.

KGJ has his faults, but we all do, but as I get older, it is nice to know he seems like he is a great dad/husband along with being a professional athlete... that's just not something you see to often anymore.

Here's to the Kid! :beerme:

Said it all there Griffey!!! I have the same feeling, esp the part of thanks for letting a kid have a real idol. I was amazed when I realized last night he had a 22 year career, I was a freshman in high school back in 88; made me think of all that has happneed in my life in that time. Thanks for everything Griff, see you in Cooperstown in 5!

brm7675
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
No question he goes in on first ballot, but the question then is, will he go in with 100% of the vote and if not, I would love to hear the reasons by those not voting for him.

webbbj
06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
No question he goes in on first ballot, but the question then is, will he go in with 100% of the vote and if not, I would love to hear the reasons by those not voting for him.

he wont cause HOF voters are a joke and have to go by their "principles" of not voting anyone first ballot. i dont think anyone has been unanimous selection not ruth, mays, aaron, williams, gwynn, ripken.

sivman17
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
it's a shame he never got the opportunity to play in the world series

you'd think when he, a-rod, and randy johnson were all on the same team they could've been more successful.

great career nonetheless

Jack Burton
06-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Pretty good run but should have hung 'em up a while ago. Has kind of been an embarrassment these last few years.

bubbachunk
06-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Greatest player of my generation and imo top 5 of all time.

Thanks Kid

Reds
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Pretty good run but should have hung 'em up a while ago. Has kind of been an embarrassment these last few years.

He impacted the Mariners in a positive way last year, you won't convince me otherwise. He had a natural career, his numbers peaked when they should have and diminished accordingly. His defense and swing is what I'll remember most. And that night he started with his dad, in Seattle. A true pro, and a top 10 all-time player, that (without injuries) could have been the best position player ever.

Griffey012
06-03-2010, 09:42 PM
He impacted the Mariners in a positive way last year, you won't convince me otherwise. He had a natural career, his numbers peaked when they should have and diminished accordingly. His defense and swing is what I'll remember most. And that night he started with his dad, in Seattle. A true pro, and a top 10 all-time player, that (without injuries) could have been the best position player ever.

I agree, I actually really enjoyed seeing him get back to the M's last season and have a positive impact. He hit OK for a part time DH in a weak lineup, but it was fun to read stories about him cracking jokes in the clubhouse and keeping the team loose. It felt like he was back to being the kid again after some stressful years towards the end of his time in Cincy. I think he would have retired at the end of last year, but really thought the M's would make a run for the post season with Felix and Cliff Lee heading up the rotation.

I think he felt "loved" in Seattle, I never got the vibe he felt "loved" in Cincy. He was also amazing in Seattle, and just above average in Cincy.

I was 4 years old when him and his dad went back to back...and as a 4 year old your dad is the coolest person on the planet. I remember think how awesome that would be on many occasions.

I wish we saw this kinda stuff in the Cincy outfield...YouTube - Griffey's Best catches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSqgIg8A3c)

foxfire123
06-03-2010, 11:45 PM
He had one sweet swing. Best of luck in the future and thank you for some great memories. :beerme:

that swing was wonderful and I loved to watch the man run too. That fluid stride was a joy to watch. I still think that he is the premier all around player of our generation.

Best of luck Junior. We'll miss you.

Reds
06-04-2010, 12:18 AM
: Bob Nightengale of USA Today says (via Twitter) that he will remain with the Mariners in a front office role.

arkimadee
06-04-2010, 01:07 AM
I saw the news and it really took me back. In 2000 I was 15 years old. Griffey was everywhere. I had his SNES video game. My Little League glove had his signature in gold print in the middle. This player that was everywhere was going to join my favorite team, the Reds, and take them to the world series. I remember answering a poll question on espn.com and 80% of the people that voted said the Reds would win the World Series. When tickets went on sale that year there was a buzz going around the ballpark that I had never seen and haven't seen since. I envisioned him winning mvps, climbing walls to take away homers, and doing everything he did in Seattle. Just watching him atbat that first season was so magical.

I know things didn't work out the way everyone had envisioned it. That's not the point. The point was for that point in my teenage baseball life I couldn't have been more excited about the game. I rushed out to get the Griffey jersey, clipped the newspaper articles and pics of him on my door. My favorite player wanted to play for my favorite team. I don't think that feeling can ever be recreated in this town because there just isn't any players out there that were marketed the way Junior was in the 90's.

His time in Cincy went so fast and it seemed like a dream almost. But for that time in the year 2000, I couldn't have been happier.

Good luck Junior