PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood

bleedsred
06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
May be on the market. Owed 10 million this year and it does not look like he will meet his vested option for next year. Has shown some rust but still throws 97. What do you guys think about going after KW and what do you think it would take? If the Reds give up a prospect(s) then the Indians would have to cover some contract.

captainmorgan07
06-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Not a chance do the reds even think about acquiring kerry wood.

ian_madden
06-04-2010, 10:34 AM
No. I think there is better talent out there than Wood.

Vottomatic
06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
No. I think there is better talent out there than Wood.

Me too. And cheaper, better talent.

defender
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I would not evaluate Wood's talent on the 8 innings he has pitched this year. Right now he is only owed 7mil, by the end of the month around 5.25. If he can pitch like he did the last 3 seasons, I hope the Reds would consider him.

bleedsred
06-04-2010, 02:24 PM
The Reds could bring in Wood as purely a setup guy...a pen with Cordero, Rhodes, Massett, Woods, and Volquez would blow people away down the stretch. Send Cleveland Lincoln(to help balance a little cash), Fisher, and ??? and this would be a very doable deal for both sides. I would bet if Cincy threw in a solid arm that Cleveland would pick up a nice part of the cash in return. Wood has had 2 bad appearances early on while the last 4 IP he has given up 1 run (4 hits/ 2 walks) and 3 ks. Another plus is that it brings him back to the NL which in itself would help his ERA numbers.

bleedsred
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Me too. And cheaper, better talent.

OK, who? Why would a team want to give up cheap talent? Woods could probably be had for very little talent and I hate to see the Reds throw away prospects too soon. Look at the Rolen deal....Cincy brought him back to a division in which he dominated for years and they were creative in how they worked the money. I bet they could do the same with KW.

vottofan4life
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I think I would go for Chris Perez and Lou Marson since Carlos Santana is going to be coming up

bleedsred
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
No way Cleveland gives up Perez...unless the Reds give up a nice package in return. I don't want to see Cincy give up the farm when they can land a guy like Wood for next to nothing. Look at his last year in Chicago...I think he could come back to the NL and be dominate in a setup role for a team with a chance at the playoffs.

Vottomatic
06-04-2010, 03:30 PM
OK, who? Why would a team want to give up cheap talent? Woods could probably be had for very little talent and I hate to see the Reds throw away prospects too soon. Look at the Rolen deal....Cincy brought him back to a division in which he dominated for years and they were creative in how they worked the money. I bet they could do the same with KW.

Castellini has already gone on record that they will not add payroll.

Griffey012
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Castellini has already gone on record that they will not add payroll.

But if we are still playing well over .500 by the deadline, you have to believe he will add a few million for the remainder of the season.

Griffey012
06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of getting Wood. If it were something along the lines of a B-Level prospect, like Ondrusek or something similar and getting some money in return I like the deal. I would have plenty of confidence bringing in Wood to help out in the 7th and 8th. It would be a big help to the bullpen.

aubashbrother
06-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Id love to go after Soria in KC and make him the setup man. Signed to a good contract , Royals could shop him for help in other areas.

LeDoux
06-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I would not evaluate Wood's talent on the 8 innings he has pitched this year. Right now he is only owed 7mil, by the end of the month around 5.25. If he can pitch like he did the last 3 seasons, I hope the Reds would consider him.

If the Indians are just looking to dump a bad contract, maybe the Reds could swap him for Mike Lincoln. They take the lesser salary burden and the Reds get a pitcher that could, at least in theory, strenghten the bullpen. The difference would be about 3.75 million at mid-season. I do not know if Wood has much magic left or not. But, I think it would be worth keeping an eye on.

Vottomatic
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
If the Indians are just looking to dump a bad contract, maybe the Reds could swap him for Mike Lincoln. They take the lesser salary burden and the Reds get a pitcher that could, at least in theory, strenghten the bullpen. The difference would be about 3.75 million at mid-season. I do not know if Wood has much magic left or not. But, I think it would be worth keeping an eye on.

Good idea. We probably have to throw a b-level prospect in too.

Griffey012
06-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Id love to go after Soria in KC and make him the setup man. Signed to a good contract , Royals could shop him for help in other areas.

If we get Soria, he is our closer. His track record the past few seasons is unreal. But then again, he is probably more likely to succeed in a setup role than CoCo. But we will never get him.

Vottomatic
06-05-2010, 08:05 AM
If we get Soria, he is our closer. His track record the past few seasons is unreal. But then again, he is probably more likely to succeed in a setup role than CoCo. But we will never get him.

I was the first one to bring up Soria's name awhile back.

Not only do we need bullpen help. It's as good as gold that Cordero won't be back after next season and we need to find our replacement closer.

Making a deal for a guy making $3M or $4M now, and maybe signing him to a reasonable extension as a set-up guy, with the intent of making him closer, would be the way to go.