PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn

arkimadee
06-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Since we are playing Washington tonight I wanted to get everyone's opinion on Adam Dunn. What exactly is his legacy as a Red. Twenty years from now will we look at him on a positive or negative light? He lived up to every expectation he had in the minor leagues. He put up 40 home run seasons. He struck out more often than not in clutch situations it seemed like. I just don't know what to think about him at this point. You knew what you was getting with the guy.

I think in the end I will look at him as one of the positive things that happened during a very negative time, although I don't look at the guy as a winner. The way he carried himself from day to day was not that of a leader. That's ok though. It wasn't it his style. He was just the big laid back Texan who hit alot of homers. All of the loses never seemed to bother him. He just went about hitting his 40 homers and striking out alot. I think deep down, I really wanted him to be a more vocal leader. I guess it would have been a different story if the Reds didn't have Paul Wilson as there opening day starter.

One thing I think the Reds messed up on with him was not moving him to first base permanently when Casey left. I don't think he belonged anywhere near left field.

GIDP
06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
A good hitter, that ultimately should have been used for his OBP instead of his slugging.

vottofan4life
06-04-2010, 06:58 PM
man i dont know if anybody remember the walk-off grand slam that adam dunn hit off former big leaguer Bob Wickman but that was one great moment

arkimadee
06-04-2010, 06:59 PM
man i dont know if anybody remember the walk-off grand slam that adam dunn hit off former big leaguer Bob Wickman but that was one great moment
That was awesome!! Wickman was lights out until that hit

defender
06-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Reds are 131-128 since Dunn left. Dunn could have completely remade his image and got a big contract, if he played well for two months and led AZ to the playoffs. He also never seemed to progress. He hit as well the half season he first came up, than he ever did again. It was as if he did not control his own desitiny. What ever happened, happened.

mlh1981
06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
He's not a team leader type, and the Reds needed him to be that type of guy. Unfortunately, as one of the faces of the franchise, he got a lot of the game, even if much of that he didn't deserve.

I still have my Reds dunn shirt and still rock it from time to time lol.

BurgervilleBuck
06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Miss his plate appearances but not his defense.

Griffey012
06-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Once the Reds finally put together a solid team for a few years, fans will realize how bad the players were than Dunn was surrounded with. Eventually Dunn will be appreciated for his 40hr/100Rbi seasons as a Red, but will never be considered one of the "great" Reds, which he does not deserve. But he was definitely a good Red.

OGB
06-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Dunn is a pretty good (albeit power heavy) offensive baseball player who never worked hard, never won, and was never a top 10 player at his position at any point during his career. That's how he should be remembered.

Look at where he ranks among current 1B. I'd pick all of these guys over Dunn:

Ryan Howard
Prince Fielder
Joey Votto
Albert Pujols
Lance Berkman
Adrian Gonzalez
Mark Teixeira
Kevin Youkilis
Miguel Cabrera
Justin Morneau
Paul Konerko

Todd Helton and Derek Lee aren't currently having better years, but they've had better careers than Dunn and will be remembered as better players.

Billy Butler, Kendry Morales, and James Loney haven't had the kinds of careers that Dunn has had, but they're all currently having better years (ok, maybe not Loney) and they could all turn out to have better careers than Dunn.

Even if you go by OPS, he's currently 7th and he's ahead of Berkman, Fielder, Howard, and Teixeira and no GM in their right mind would take Dunn for one season over any of those four.

winks
06-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I always liked Dunn a lot. With that being said in I believe the 7th Inn Fri w/ the bases loaded I remebered why I would get so frustrated with him. It was nice to see him do that against the Reds not for them. He always had 40 + and 100+ but not very many big ones give me Gomes,Votto even Cabrera. Dunn's legacy will be he'd a towering HR when the Reds were down by 5 or up by 5. Very few clutch hits.

sabometrics
06-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Dunn is a pretty good (albeit power heavy) offensive baseball player who never worked hard, never won, and was never a top 10 player at his position at any point during his career. That's how he should be remembered.

Look at where he ranks among current 1B. I'd pick all of these guys over Dunn:

Ryan Howard
Prince Fielder
Joey Votto
Albert Pujols
Lance Berkman
Adrian Gonzalez
Mark Teixeira
Kevin Youkilis
Miguel Cabrera
Justin Morneau
Paul Konerko

Todd Helton and Derek Lee aren't currently having better years, but they've had better careers than Dunn and will be remembered as better players.

Billy Butler, Kendry Morales, and James Loney haven't had the kinds of careers that Dunn has had, but they're all currently having better years (ok, maybe not Loney) and they could all turn out to have better careers than Dunn.

Even if you go by OPS, he's currently 7th and he's ahead of Berkman, Fielder, Howard, and Teixeira and no GM in their right mind would take Dunn for one season over any of those four.

Its a bit unfair to look at 1B and call it his position when he rarely played there as a Red, and has only made the shift to regular 1B for the Nats in recent years. His production at 1B is pretty pedestrian, yes, and that's combined with poor defense to boot.

If you look at him as a LF he's was one of the better ones, though I'm not sure he would have been worth the money he could have demanded if we tried to keep him as a Red. I was never a Dunn fan, despised having to watch his defense, and cursed many times as he struggled w/RISP, but I have to admit he was a good player. I don't think I'll ever be able to look back and consider him as a "great," but he deserves some praise.

1990REDS
06-05-2010, 06:02 PM
He was what we thought he was gonna be. lots of hr, lots of k's, very few clutch AB.

BigPoppa
06-05-2010, 09:42 PM
As Marty said the other night......."Adam Dunn does what he did with the Reds, and that's not hit with runners on base...."

Reds
06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
An average mlb power hitter. He's a great talent, and he's got skill (obviously you have to to be in majors), but he's not a hall-of-famer and I've never known him to be a leader. You could win with him, and maybe if he played in the right era he would be considered the most powerful bat in the game. But for most eras, this one for sure, he's not an all-star.

Is he an outfielder, 1st basemen, or should he be a DH? I don't know. He's never under or over-impressed me.

Do they still call him The Big Donkey?

arkimadee
06-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I know this sounds stupid but watching him play makes me feel like he is still on the Reds. It's like nothing has changed. He still wears Red. He looks the same. When I see him it's my natural instinct to hope he gets a hit, then I realize he's not a Red. Especially when I see him play against someone other than the Reds. It's weird.

webbbj
06-06-2010, 02:23 AM
An average mlb power hitter. He's a great talent, and he's got skill (obviously you have to to be in majors), but he's not a hall-of-famer and I've never known him to be a leader. You could win with him, and maybe if he played in the right era he would be considered the most powerful bat in the game. But for most eras, this one for sure, he's not an all-star.

Is he an outfielder, 1st basemen, or should he be a DH? I don't know. He's never under or over-impressed me.

Do they still call him The Big Donkey?

i definitly agree with but i always wondered what if he got like 550+ HRs could he be the first guy to get that many and not get in the HOF?

he is only 30 years old and has 326 HRs. he has more than a decent chance to get 500 HRs. he hasnt ever been injured and could end this year with 350. even if he slows down a bit he could have 500 by 35 with a chance to go for 600.

i know this is a long way a way and he doesnt strike me as the kinda guy that would wanna play till hes 40 but hypothetically could you keep a guy who just happens to get 550 or even 600 HRs out of the HOF considering he only has 1 allstar appearance and has never been regarded as one of the top players in baseball, and as someone else mentioned a guy thats barely top 10 at his own position.

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 02:52 AM
I think he'll play for the Nationals a few more years at 1B, and then move to the AL and become a DH for the rest of his career. That's what he should be.

Reds
06-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Well, I don't know now about the Hall of Fame and Dunn. His OBP is better than Reggie Jackson and he has a chance to hit more HRs so... if he hits 600 he will be in.

He hit 46 home runs in 2004 and he finished 28th in the MVP vote btw. So he might wait awhile.

double21d
06-06-2010, 07:32 AM
I was at that game when Dunn hit his grand slam to beat Wickman. Great game, great atmosphere. That was during my first trip to Cincinnati (from NY) and it was a great moment.

will5979
06-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm over Dunn being gone, but he was my favorite Red after Lark retired. That being said I'll always remember him as a Red in 3 different ways...

1. Indians killer-considering as a how I absolutely despise the Indians/Browns and all those weirdos in Cleveland with that accent I loved Dunn for sending them home miserable on more than one occasion.

2. Knowing everytime I was in the stands watching him bat their was a chance he would hit an amazing HR, I once saw him hit HRs in consecutive innings.

3. His insanely loud sound his bat made when he got into one!

Easily will be a HOFer if he reaches the 600 HR plateau, and the dude's career is far from over barring injury. Whos to say he won't wind up a NY Yankee and help his team to a few World Series' titles as a DH.

captainmorgan07
06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Very good power hitter but routinely did not hit with men in scoring position. Was as adventure in left field most days. Yes he may have but up 40 hrs and 100 RBI's every year but those RBI numbers could have been way bigger if he only shortened that swing and hit in the clutch.

arkimadee
06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Heres a stat that sticks out to me. The man has never been on a winning major league team, (other than the D-Backs, which went from playoff contender to nothing when he joined)

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Heres a stat that sticks out to me. The man has never been on a winning major league team, (other than the D-Backs, which went from playoff contender to nothing when he joined)

Good point.

ian_madden
06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
If Adam Dunn is your best player, your routing for a bad team.

OGB
06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I was never a Dunn fan, despised having to watch his defense, and cursed many times as he struggled w/RISP, but I have to admit he was a good player. I don't think I'll ever be able to look back and consider him as a "great," but he deserves some praise.

I'm definitely way too hard on the guy. He was a good ballplayer, but nothing special, IMHO.

That said, I saw a statistic during this series that Dunn was hitting .000 with 12 Ks in 2 outs RISP situations. He then proceeded to strike out in that AB with 2 outs & RISP. I related this to my Dad in a conversation about the Reds and he mentioned Marty saying this weekend that Dunn was hitting .170 something with RISP, period.
He did the same thing as a member of this organization, and thats a big reason why I never cared for him and was happy to see him go, money ball/OPS arguers be damned.

OesterPoster
06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm definitely way too hard on the guy. He was a good ballplayer, but nothing special, IMHO.

That said, I saw a statistic during this series that Dunn was hitting .000 with 12 Ks in 2 outs RISP situations. He then proceeded to strike out in that AB with 2 outs & RISP. I related this to my Dad in a conversation about the Reds and he mentioned Marty saying this weekend that Dunn was hitting .170 something with RISP, period.
He did the same thing as a member of this organization, and thats a big reason why I never cared for him and was happy to see him go, money ball/OPS arguers be damned.

Saw that stat too and laughed a bit. Thought maybe someone at FoxSports was doing their best to shed a bad light on him, because his next at bat had a tag line at the bottom "0 for 12 lifetime vs. Rhodes, 7 K's".

sivman17
06-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Watching Dunn this series reminded me of why so many people (myself included) were calling for his departure for years while he was here. Despite his 40 HRs, 100 RBIs every year, he really does not bring much to the table. Frankly, I am content with the current situation.

bounty37h
06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Always kinda liked him, hoped for more, but he was nothing more then a glorified softball player really.

ThornWithin81
06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't miss him. I know that much.

Fon Duc Tow
06-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm over Dunn being gone, ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yATxh46RxAA/RhqcYIk2V1I/AAAAAAAAADY/ZbqPnvUtGB0/s320/kareem_Airplane.jpg

:thumbup:

I don't think I'll ever be over Dunn or under Oveur. But anything is better than being underdone.