PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 bullpen is so disappointing given 08/09 bullpens

TC81190
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
They were just about the only good thing about those teams. Now that the young starting pitchers have progressed a bit, and we have picked up a bunch of other missing pieces we've needed, they're the weak link. And it's with just about the same group of players that put those pens near the top of the league. Really disappointing to see the regression that they have shown. If they could play to their levels shown the past two years, our record would only look so much better.

UPRedsFan
06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
It's really mostly about Masset.

If he was duplicating last year's numbers this wouldn't be an issue. We wouldn't be worrying so much.

As is, Walt needs to do something quick. Can't wait until trade deadline. June could destroy the team and destroy Cordero and Rhodes with overuse.

I think it's worth sacrificing a Frazier or Fransisco or Heisey to get some bonafide help now.

TC81190
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
We wouldn't, that is true. But Cordero has taken a step back this year. He's been a roller coaster this year, last year he was pretty much nails for most of the season.

Herrera has also not pitched as well as he did last year, not that he should have been counted on as a key member of the bullpen.

I wish they had resigned Jeremy Affeldt when that moment came around a couple seasons ago. But yes, it's time to start moving some prospects for bullpen help.

Knightro28
06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I think it's worth sacrificing a Frazier or Fransisco or Heisey to get some bonafide help now.

That's debatable. The last thing I want to see is another Kearns/Lopez/Wagner trade. That did not benefit the Reds in any way, shape, or form.

That being said, I trust Jocketty not to be a moron when it comes to those matters.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
That's debatable. The last thing I want to see is another Kearns/Lopez/Wagner trade. That did not benefit the Reds in any way, shape, or form.

That being said, I trust Jocketty not to be a moron when it comes to those matters.

Bray and Majewski were basically unknowns who were pitching well. If Jocketty targets relievers with successful career track records, that would make a difference, such as the White Sox Thornton and Putz.

Griffey012
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
It's really mostly about Masset.

If he was duplicating last year's numbers this wouldn't be an issue. We wouldn't be worrying so much.

As is, Walt needs to do something quick. Can't wait until trade deadline. June could destroy the team and destroy Cordero and Rhodes with overuse.

Agreed, we have enough prospects in our system to start dealing some for proven major league players. We have plenty of young talent in the majors right now also. Give me some proven talent over unproven talent any day, as long as its within reasonable.

Knightro28
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Bray and Majewski were basically unknowns who were pitching well. If Jocketty targets relievers with successful career track records, that would make a difference, such as the White Sox Thornton and Putz.

Here is something I would feel better about. Like I said, I trust Jocketty, and these names have proven track records. I really like Thornton.