PDA

View Full Version : Volquez in the rotation

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Obviously Volquez has been brilliant in his first two minor league starts. When is it time? I feel they should promote him to double a or triple a for his next start and see how he does at a bigger level. At this point I don't think you can move Sam Lecure out of the rotation.. You have to move Harang to the bullpen and Volquez in.

bgwilly31
06-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I highly doubt harang leaves the rotation. Dont you know the rules around here.

Big Paycheck = Playtime.

1990REDS
06-18-2010, 05:38 PM
He should make his first start when he and the organization are 100% absolutely sure that he is 100%. By the why, when is his suspension over?

bgwilly31
06-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Pretty sure its already over.

And i disagree. If his 85% is better than harangs 100% throw him in there and get him rolling.

brm7675
06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Trust me, take this one to the bank, you can bet on this...

Aaron Harang will never be demoted by the Reds to the bullpen this season. You put Volquez in the bullpen, let him build up arm strength and at the point that they shut Leake down due to innings/pitch total then and only then do you try Volquez in the rotation.

Obviously Volquez has been brilliant in his first two minor league starts. When is it time? I feel they should promote him to double a or triple a for his next start and see how he does at a bigger level. At this point I don't think you can move Sam Lecure out of the rotation.. You have to move Harang to the bullpen and Volquez in.

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Trust me, take this one to the bank, you can bet on this...

Aaron Harang will never be demoted by the Reds to the bullpen this season. You put Volquez in the bullpen, let him build up arm strength and at the point that they shut Leake down due to innings/pitch total then and only then do you try Volquez in the rotation.
I take nothing to the bank after seeing big Z get moved to the bullpen for the Cubs this year for a while

brm7675
06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
The Reds are not the Cubs, Harang is paid to be a starter, not a middle reliver and not at 12 million.

I take nothing to the bank after seeing big Z get moved to the bullpen for the Cubs this year for a while

bshall2105
06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I thought Volquez was making two starts at each minor league level, working his way up to the 100 pitch count. Once he got to that point he's coming to the majors. I actually thought I heard this, or am I just imagining things?

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 06:27 PM
The Reds are not the Cubs, Harang is paid to be a starter, not a middle reliver and not at 12 million.
i realize this but this is the last year of this contract. It's not like he's our future out there. Any deal he gets next year will be under 4 million. I'm all for giving him a few more starts but if they don't improve by the allstar break i'd say move him to the pen.

ThornWithin81
06-18-2010, 06:51 PM
I thought Volquez was making two starts at each minor league level, working his way up to the 100 pitch count. Once he got to that point he's coming to the majors. I actually thought I heard this, or am I just imagining things?

I thought I heard this as well. It may have been someone's idea here though. Not sure.

batsfan
06-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Edinson Volquez is in Louisville and is expected to start Tuesday vs. Toledo, according to the bats announcer Matt Andrews.

FlyerFanatic
06-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Pencil Volquez in for July 7 vs. Mets. "That's what I got, barring setbacks," Baker said

posted on fay's twitter

www.twitter.com/johnfayman

The Voice of IH
06-18-2010, 08:49 PM
when will volquez finish the suspension?

Red in Atl
06-18-2010, 08:55 PM

I believe the suspension started immediately when it was given, so the 90 days have passed before he started pitching in the minors or at least before he pitches in Cincy

The Voice of IH
06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I believe the suspension started immediately when it was given, so the 90 days have passed before he started pitching in the minors or at least before he pitches in Cincy

geez, where has the time gone? it seems like a few weeks ago it was announced. lol, excited to have him back for sure tho.

Kingspoint
06-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Pencil Volquez in for July 7 vs. Mets. "That's what I got, barring setbacks," Baker said

posted on fay's twitter

www.twitter.com/johnfayman

If Baker has that information, then does he also have the information on who's leaving?

ian_madden
06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Pretty sure its already over.

And i disagree. If his 85% is better than harangs 100% throw him in there and get him rolling.

I don't think it is a matter of if his 85% is better than Harang's 100%, which at this point I think it is, it's a matter of that arm. Is it 100%. I say we don't move him in till THE ARM is 100%.

kfm
06-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think it is a matter of if his 85% is better than Harang's 100%, which at this point I think it is, it's a matter of that arm. Is it 100%. I say we don't move him in till THE ARM is 100%.

I think most people understood what you were saying and agree with you. Bringing him back before this is just not very smart. As far as who gets moved out of the rotation, I think the Reds will do what they think gives them the best chance to win. After all while we get dissappointed when they fail, members of the organization get fired. While many of us moan and groan that they are not serious about winning when they do something we disagree with, the reality is they simply believe what they are doing gives them the best chance to win and they either or both don't care what we think or believe they know better than the fans. To me, these are both very defensible positions.

The Voice of IH
06-19-2010, 01:07 PM

John Fay responded to my twitter, it was June 14th he got off.

Lockdwn11
06-19-2010, 06:29 PM
This maybe crazy but what about a six man rotation. It would put Volquez in the rotation and you could keep Leake in there. It would also limit his innings

bshall2105
06-19-2010, 06:31 PM
This maybe crazy but what about a six man rotation

Wouldn't you rather just get rid of the LeCure/ Bailey spot, or even the Harang spot. That way we don't have to wait an extra day for our best starters to pitch.

Vottomatic
06-19-2010, 06:33 PM
This maybe crazy but what about a six man rotation. It would put Volquez in the rotation and you could keep Leake in there. It would also limit his innings

In the interest of keeping guys arms fresh and not overworking them, it might be a good idea. But it limits your bullpen that much more in terms of arms.

Lockdwn11
06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Wouldn't you rather just get rid of the LeCure/ Bailey spot, or even the Harang spot. That way we don't have to wait an extra day for our best starters to pitch.

Who Leake, he has been our best pitcher sofar this season and he is not going to make it with the innings he is putting up

bshall2105
06-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Who Leake, he has been our best pitcher sofar this season and he is not going to make it with the innings he is putting up

Then there is no need for a six man rotation unless you're keeping LeCure and Bailey in it.

Lockdwn11
06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Then there is no need for a six man rotation unless you're keeping LeCure and Bailey in it.

You mean LeCure OR Bailey that one spot. We don't know when/if Bailey will be back this year and Lecure has pitched pretty well to date. I just brought it up as one option to keep Leake active all year,

bshall2105
06-19-2010, 06:44 PM
You mean LeCure OR Bailey that one spot. We don't know when/if Bailey will be back this year and Lecure has pitched pretty well to date. I just brought it up as one option to keep Leake active all year,

No, I thought you were trying to say you wanted Volquez, Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, LeCure, and Bailey. Sorry I didn't understand exactly what you meant.