PDA

View Full Version : History Repeating Itself

ryanparkersongs
06-20-2010, 10:23 PM
As I watch this recent disappointing run, I think of the all too common comments I often hear from my friends like "same old Reds" and "just wait until the All-Star break and they won't be in it". I know I've felt the same way over the years, but I wasn't really exactly sure of how each season progressed so I did a little research that might be of interest. It helped me put our recent struggles in perspective.

- in first place by 1/2 game on June 4th
- lost 11 of the next 12
- dropped 6 in a row on the west coast to the Giants and Padres

- tied for first on May 1st
- lost next 5 games; lost 25 of the next 31

- held first from April 26th to June 16th
- lost 8 in a row
- swept by Seattle and Oakland during losing streak

- Bob Boone fired; fire sale; never saw first place

- 2 game lead in first place on June 6th
- lost next 7 in a row
- losing streak started in Oakland where they were swept

- Dave Miley fired; never saw first place

- held first on June 8th; then lost 8 of next 9
- reclaimed first on June 30th; then lost 8 of next 9
- reclaimed first AGAIN on August 24th
- lost 6 in a row on decisive west coast swing in San Fran and LA

2007 and 2008
- never saw first place

- in first on May 13th
- dropped next 4 games
- swept in San Diego

- in first a few days ago
- swept in Seattle scoring only 1 run in 27 innings
- ???

It really is amazing to me just how many times our hopes have been dashed either on the west coast or by the west coast teams (in 2002, Seattle and Oakland swept us at home). I know some will say the Reds aren't really a first place team so we should just be glad they've managed to hang on this long, but I wish they could find the magic formula (perhaps it's as simple as just having better players) to prevent another collapse. This is Walt Jocketty's first time in contention with the Reds. Hopefully he can make some moves or somehow bring us better luck to get us off this downhill slide.

redsfan_12
06-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I wonder what our record is on the coast the past few seasons? Can we ever win out there. Its like an automatic 5-6 losses.

The Voice of IH
06-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Though this is all true, History does not show The Reds having one of the best offenses in the National League (5th in AVG, 3rd In HR, 3rd in Hits ect.) With a Solid Rotation (with multiple players coming back to improve it) and a minor league system that is able to pick up the big name to push this team over the top.

In previous years, the Reds have been more then a player or two away, and even if they where, I doubt they would be able to nab him. Now though, this team is just a player away, and has flexibility to do just that.

Though you post has a lot of good research, which spells out dooms day as June 20th 2010 for the Cincinnati Reds, I am sure if you look deeper in your research, many playoffs teams in the past say 10 years, have been swept on a long road trip or have gone on a substantial losing streak (such has the Reds have gone on in the last week) as well.

I have had my share of negative feelings, but I would like to think you for your post. It has fired me back up for the Reds, and I still believe the Reds Legs can come back from this and produce. This team is not like previous Reds teams that have gone to the garbage after the West Coast trip, I have a gut feeling they are going to catch fire again here soon.

Kingspoint
06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't think history can repeat itself because I've never seen this much quality starting pitching wear a REDS' uniform at the same time in a season.

It's going to be fun watching the turnaround from the temporary setback.

bgwilly31
06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't think history can repeat itself because I've never seen this much quality starting pitching wear a REDS' uniform at the same time in a season.

It's going to be fun watching the turnaround from the temporary setback.

boy you got a deep shade of red glasses on today dont ya.

Norm
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
boy you got a deep shade of red glasses on today dont ya.

Or, he could be onto something. I refuse to give up on this team or say that they're the same ole Reds! This team has a drive, a willingness to come back, and a desire to win that I haven't seen or felt in years. I'm chalking up most of the last week's stretch to good pitching by the bad guys. We've faced some studs. Yeah, to be great, we have to beat some of those guys, but hey, I'll take where we are right now!

Btw, good to be aboard! Go Reds!:D

Vottomatic
06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm fighting panicking and being negative, but they need to turn it around soon. One positive I saw was a good outing by Harang.

Seems like the offense has gone in a funk. Reminds me of Philly's offensive doldrums a few weeks back.

ian_madden
06-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe I am the wool is still over my eyes, maybe I am just to positive, to nieve, or just too stupid to know when to throw in the towel, but I still believe. I think this team can win, and win a lot. So Kingspoint, pass the Reds Ale, cause I'm drinking wearing the same glasses you are buddy. Lets right this ship and salvage this series.

Norm
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe I am the wool is still over my eyes, maybe I am just to positive, to nieve, or just too stupid to know when to throw in the towel, but I still believe. I think this team can win, and win a lot. So Kingspoint, pass the Reds Ale, cause I'm drinking wearing the same glasses you are buddy. Lets right this ship and salvage this series.

:beerme: