PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign/signing Gary Mattews Jr.

Reds
06-21-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/reds-agree-to-terms-with-gary-matthews-jr.html

The Voice of IH
06-21-2010, 11:57 PM
The only reason I see why the Reds would make this move is to be a veteran presences in our minor leagues. To help move along the youngsters...other then that, I can not see the guy playing for us in the big leagues. QUE Patterson/Taveras Flashbacks!

arkimadee
06-22-2010, 01:23 AM
We could use a veteran outfielder.. it would put some pressure on stubbs to hit better

bshall2105
06-22-2010, 01:25 AM
I was hoping Dickerson would put some pressure on Stubbs, but since he has the worst wrist injury in the world I guess not. Could this mean that Dikerson had a setback in his rehab? Why else would we want a guy like Matthews.

GIDP
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
We could use a veteran outfielder.. it would put some pressure on stubbs to hit better

Stubbs will never hit bad enough to excuse playing GMJ.

GIDP
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
I was hoping Dickerson would put some pressure on Stubbs, but since he has the worst wrist injury in the world I guess not. Could this mean that Dikerson had a setback in his rehab? Why else would we want a guy like Matthews.

Dustys doing his best baseball friend a favor.

arkimadee
06-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Matthews was the crap when he was on Roids

GIDP
06-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Matthews was the crap when he was on Roids

Might want to check those numbers again because he was barely good when on roids.

arkimadee
06-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Might want to check those numbers again because he was barely good when on roids.
i don't have any numbers i just remember seeing alot of highlights.. i guess i can't back that up.. he made the best catch i have ever seen though

GIDP
06-22-2010, 01:40 AM
i don't have any numbers i just remember seeing alot of highlights.. i guess i can't back that up.. he made the best catch i have ever seen though

He turned that catch into a ton of money he really didnt deserve.

Griffey012
06-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Tell me this is a bad dream, wtf Jocketty.

Vottomatic
06-22-2010, 07:21 AM
I think it's a move to prevent our competitors from getting him.

Which might be a stupid move.

Kingspoint
06-22-2010, 07:58 AM
I thought that idea of the veteran outfielder that can't get on base was a thing of the past?

flash
06-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Both Dorn and Terrero are on the DL in Louisville. Anyone who has checked out a Louisville box score knows they need hitters. Neither Sappelt or Henry are held in very high regard either. So right now the Reds are really short outfielders on the minor league level.

markymark69
06-22-2010, 08:34 AM
This falls under the low-risk, high reward potential as far as I’m concerned. I have been a little uneasy about the Reds bench all season. Matthews, I think can help in that regard. Who knows, maybe they catch lightning in a bottle.

He is definitely not the player that he once was, but I don’t think the Reds are bringing him in to start either. We know the trade prices are going to be high, especially now, you make this low-risk, high reward signing and do not have to give up anybody.

He goes to Louisville to start, if it doesn’t work out, the Reds aren’t out anything. If he does work out, that’s a good thing.

flash
06-22-2010, 08:41 AM
This falls under the low-risk, high reward potential as far as I’m concerned. I have been a little uneasy about the Reds bench all season. Matthews, I think can help in that regard. Who knows, maybe they catch lightning in a bottle.

He is definitely not the player that he once was, but I don’t think the Reds are bringing him in to start either. We know the trade prices are going to be high, especially now, you make this low-risk, high reward signing and do not have to give up anybody.

He goes to Louisville to start, if it doesn’t work out, the Reds aren’t out anything. If he does work out, that’s a good thing.

Actually I would send him to carolina and promote either Henry or Sappelt.

muddie
06-22-2010, 08:49 AM

Agreed with this or, give Heisey more playing time. If Heisey isn't going to do anything but sit, send him back to Louisville for playing time. I don't like the way they're using Chris. He's not developing sitting and Louisville could definitely use the guy.

PhatHead
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Mathews Jr. will never see the Reds lineup. He'll wallow in the minors the rest of the year and then be released. The only scenario I see where he makes it to the bigs is if the Reds are in serious contention and he gets a spot when rosters are expanded.

GIDP
06-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Mathews Jr. will never see the Reds lineup. He'll wallow in the minors the rest of the year and then be released. The only scenario I see where he makes it to the bigs is if the Reds are in serious contention and he gets a spot when rosters are expanded.

We have seen this time and time again. Bad players who shouldnt get a chance getting chances. Patterson, McDonald, Taveras, and Cairo.

GMJ has been on the Reds radar since he was with the Angels. I think there is enough reason to be weary of this move. I seriously wouldnt question Dusty thinking GMJ being better than Heisey, Stubbs, and Dickerson. He might not play him over those guys just yet but I dont doubt that he thinks hes at least just as valuable.

texasdave
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Jocketty woke up and it turned into our nightmare.

Jack Burton
06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Bad move. How come I got this feeling that he'll be on the major league squad in no time. Another Duhsty favorite.

Kiss the Baby00
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
hes 36, hes not a power guy, hes not a steals guy, hes not an avg guy. i am pretty baffled by this one. The Mets are paying him 11mm THIS SEASON and didnt think enough of him to keep him around.

BigRed
06-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately, I think that they will eventually bring him up and option Heisey to give him more playing time. I guess we'll see what happens.

Vottomatic
06-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately, I think that they will eventually bring him up and option Heisey to give him more playing time. I guess we'll see what happens.

Are they trying to give us a reason not to go to GABP? :confused:

Kingspoint
06-23-2010, 01:05 AM

Nice posts on this thread. Henry started off the season really well, then went into a slump. He's since rebounded, so now would be a very good time to see if he could pick it up at the next level. He's not the type of player who's confidence you'll hurt too much if he has to go back to Louisville afterwards. But, if he proves he can hit at a .300+ clip at Louisville, too, then he may yet get himself to the Majors, or at the very least prove to be a commodity that can be added to a trade.

Reds
06-26-2010, 10:40 AM
the latest:

"We'll give him the opportunity to play center field, play every day and see what he can do," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "In the past, he showed that if he plays a lot, he's a better player. He hasn't had that opportunity with the Angels or Mets the last couple of years."

Vottomatic
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Last night at Louisville (Saturday, June 26th)........GM Jr. goes 5 for 6. In six at-bats, he struck out 5 times. Hehehe. Nice. I think he made contact in the other at-bat......but it was an out.

texasdave
06-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Last night at Louisville (Saturday, June 26th)........GM Jr. goes 5 for 6. In six at-bats, he struck out 5 times. Hehehe. Nice. I think he made contact in the other at-bat......but it was an out.

Platinum Sombrero time. :beerme:

sivman17
06-27-2010, 12:21 PM
He turned that catch into a ton of money he really didnt deserve.

Haha exactly.. I'd never seen a guy make a career out of one single catch. GMJ has miraculously done that.

HalMorrisRules
06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Haha exactly.. I'd never seen a guy make a career out of one single catch. GMJ has miraculously done that.

In fairness, he did have a pretty good season in 2006 and even received MVP votes. Im not saying that the catch didnt enter into the thought process when he was signed but his bat seemed to emerge that season too.

Vottomatic
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
GM Jr. 3 for 5 in Sunday's game, 1 double, 1 run, 0 K's.