PDA

View Full Version : How Much Longer?

mivers176
06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
How much longer are the Reds going to stick with Coco Cordero? I personally cringe nearly every time he comes out to try to hold a tie or get a 1-2 run save (3 runs I'm a little more comfortable with).

What about switching Cordero and Rhodes?? These games are getting too important as the season goes on - in which we see Cordero's blown saves and ERA going up as it progresses. Last night was so important and luckily it didnt cost us in the end but that seems to be happening more and more.

Cordero: 4.36 era, 33 inn, 1.48 whip and 5 blown saves

Rhodes: 0.29 era, 31 inn, 0.81 whip

What does everyone think?

Trace's Daddy
06-22-2010, 08:25 AM
It's hard to argue against that with those numbers that you've posted.

Fon Duc Tow
06-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Great idea but the Reds are paying Coco to be the closer, and will continue to do so, no matter how many saves he blows.

bgwilly31
06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Its coco's job.

Last night was a fluke.

it wasnt that bad of a pitch. Dude just made a good swing on it.

texasdave
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Its coco's job.

Last night was a fluke.

it wasnt that bad of a pitch. Dude just made a good swing on it.

Okay the HR was a fluke. But how about back-to-back walks to start the 10th? Was that a fluke as well?

TheBigLebowski
06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Cordero's is the worst contract we've suffered since Launching Pad Milton's. At least we got rid of Tavares, and he was nowhere near as big of a financial investment.

bgwilly31
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Okay the HR was a fluke. But how about back-to-back walks to start the 10th? Was that a fluke as well?

well you know it could have been worse. he could have just completely broke down after the hr and lose the game then.

But nope he recovered quite well and kept us in it, so that we could have a bomb parade the next inning.

bshall2105
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
We can't make Rhodes the closer because that takes away his versatility. He can't be designated to just the 9th inning. We need him out there to get the best hitters out whether it's the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning.

arkimadee
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't know but we have to do something about Cordero. He can't throw strikes and we he does they are hit all over the place. For the most part

ThornWithin81
06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
We can't make Rhodes the closer because that takes away his versatility. He can't be designated to just the 9th inning. We need him out there to get the best hitters out whether it's the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning.

This.

The real solution is to do away with the Closer role entirely. Use Arthur when we need an out whether it is in the 7th, 8th or 9th. He's a big reason why Coco has had so many save opportunities this season.

Pick your pitchers based on the situation, not their paycheck. Who really cares who gets the saves? Is it really that important for one pitcher to get all of them?

redssince75
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Its coco's job.

And he's doing it poorly.

Last night was a fluke.

Huh? One blown save...maybe a fluke. Two? Let's not sweat yet.

FIVE BLOWN SAVES BEFORE THE END OF JUNE, LEADING THE LEAGUE????

Your definition of "fluke" is different than mine.

bgwilly31
06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
And he's doing it poorly.

Huh? One blown save...maybe a fluke. Two? Let's not sweat yet.

FIVE BLOWN SAVES BEFORE THE END OF JUNE, LEADING THE LEAGUE????

Your definition of "fluke" is different than mine.

haha best possible example of taking words out of context. lol bravo sir.

BigPoppa
06-22-2010, 06:07 PM
He's still no Trevor Hoffman - 5 out of 10 for the year and a nifty ERA of 9.00

webbbj
06-22-2010, 06:08 PM
i completely agree with thorn. i hate how not just the reds but in all of baseball how the "closer" is used. the "closer" is supposedly your best bullpen arm and is not always used in the most important situations of the game.

for ex: if its 1 out bases loaded 6th inning you have a 1 run lead, now is the time to bring the closer if were defining the closer as our best reliever, or the reliever that comes in during the highest stress situations.

but every team passes on the "closer" in this situation and waits till the 9th when no one is on base and you may or may not of increased your lead, or you gave up your lead and now have no use for the "closer"

i mean thats just one example but often times in games there are more crucial spots where a team needs an out and the closer is not out there.

i think its fine to have some defined roles for what inning a player is gonna come in but i think all managers should be a lot more flexible with this when they encounter a crucial spot in a game. honestly its probably a lot less stressful for DRH to pitch the 9th with no one on base than to come into the 6th to get one batter out with guys on 2nd and 3rd.

sorry for the rant just my opinion.

BigPoppa
06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
honestly its probably a lot less stressful for DRH to pitch the 9th with no one on base than to come into the 6th to get one batter out with guys on 2nd and 3rd. .

CoCo creates his own stress...........he starts with a clean sheet and immediately puts 2 guys on before he gets an out.

Griffey012
06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
How much longer are the Reds going to stick with Coco Cordero? I personally cringe nearly every time he comes out to try to hold a tie or get a 1-2 run save (3 runs I'm a little more comfortable with).

What about switching Cordero and Rhodes?? These games are getting too important as the season goes on - in which we see Cordero's blown saves and ERA going up as it progresses. Last night was so important and luckily it didnt cost us in the end but that seems to be happening more and more.

Cordero: 4.36 era, 33 inn, 1.48 whip and 5 blown saves

Rhodes: 0.29 era, 31 inn, 0.81 whip

What does everyone think?

The numbers speak for themselves as far as performance. But swapping roles would actually make the team worse, not better. Right now we get Rhodes in the game every time we are close and he shuts the door and gets us to the closer or 8th inning guy if he pitches the 7th. If we have CoCo in that role he probably pitches worse because closers pitch off adrenaline and it is by far at its highest point in the 9th innings. Therefore, we get Rhodes in the game less often in important situations.

On another note, it was real disappointing to see that performance by CoCo when I checked the box score this morning. He hadn't allowed a baserunner in his last 3 outings, I began to think he was getting it together and turning the corner. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road.

Vottomatic
06-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Could it be that CoCo was good up until this year and is suddenly on the decline?

bshall2105
06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Rhodes definetely should have been in there in the 9th. I gurantee the winning run would not come to plate against Arthur.

Kingspoint
06-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Could it be that CoCo was good up until this year and is suddenly on the decline?

That's always possible, especially with his age. I'm guessing no, and just hoping that the rest of the bullpen improves so that Dusty has more trust in more players.

Kingspoint
06-23-2010, 01:57 AM
With 54 pitches thrown the last two days by Cordero, he should be "unavailable" for tomorrow leaving any "Save" chance to another pitcher, preferably Arthur Rhodes.

texasdave
06-23-2010, 02:03 AM
With 54 pitches thrown the last two days by Cordero, he should be "unavailable" for tomorrow leaving any "Save" chance to another pitcher, preferably Arthur Rhodes.

My preference would be that the Reds are ahead by about five runs making it a no-save situation.

Reds42MLB
06-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Coco is still the best option fellas. Rhodes is not a closer, period. Doesn't need to be a closer and I pray for our sake he is never given the keys. A good setup man is just as important as a closer.

Please though armchair GM's pick 1 guy minus Rhodes who should close minus Coco? I'll wait.......... still waiting.......... EXACTLY! Go ahead though lets throw Rhodes into the 9th and let him close, we'll do it your way. Now what are you going to do with Coco??? He is now the setup man??? Are we going to completely abandon him and go with all the "great" options we got in the bullpen???

Some of you need to think about the big picture before you speak.

bshall2105
06-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Coco is still the best option fellas. Rhodes is not a closer, period. Doesn't need to be a closer and I pray for our sake he is never given the keys. A good setup man is just as important as a closer.

Please though armchair GM's pick 1 guy minus Rhodes who should close minus Coco? I'll wait.......... still waiting.......... EXACTLY! Go ahead though lets throw Rhodes into the 9th and let him close, we'll do it your way. Now what are you going to do with Coco??? He is now the setup man??? Are we going to completely abandon him and go with all the "great" options we got in the bullpen???

Some of you need to think about the big picture before you speak.

I don't think anybody said that Cordero should not be the closer. He threw 30+ pitches last night, and looked awful doing it, so people were rightfully worried that it may happen again tonight. We have been dropping plenty of games lately, and we needed to be sure to get that W, we got it, and Cordero got the save. Good for him and good for the team.

Kingspoint
06-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Masset can pitch the 8th on Wednesday and Rhodes the 9th.