PDA

View Full Version : Can Votto, Phillips, Rolen, and Rhodes all make the ASG?

sjjones
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
It's been a while since the Reds had so many players deserving of being an All-Star. But with the Reds in first place, I think we may see all four get invited.

Agree?

brm7675
06-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Votto - No he has Albert and Prince in front of him
Phillips - maybe, especially with Utley going on the DL
Rolen - Might, but would be better served to get the days off and rest body
Rhodes - Doubtful, middle inning relievers ususaly don't and he is like Rolen, needs to rest body.

1990REDS
06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
All of them having a strong series against the guy managing the NL team (carlie manual) could go a long way in making thier case.

Grande Donkey
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Rhodes - Doubtful, middle inning relievers ususaly don't and he is like Rolen, needs to rest body.

The idea that Prince Fielder is more deserving than Votto is laughable. Prince Fielder does exactly nothing better than Joey Votto.

brm7675
06-29-2010, 04:26 PM
In your opinion, and lets not forget the 1st basemen in SD, who might be the 2nd best right behind Albert.

The idea that Prince Fielder is more deserving than Votto is laughable. Prince Fielder does exactly nothing better than Joey Votto.

Grande Donkey
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
In your opinion, and lets not forget the 1st basemen in SD, who might be the 2nd best right behind Albert.

One could make an argument for Gonzalez, but there is no way that Prince Fielder deserves to be on the all star game.

brm7675
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Why not?

One could make an argument for Gonzalez, but there is no way that Prince Fielder deserves to be on the all star game.

Grande Donkey
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Why not?
Pujols, Votto, and Gonzalez have better numbers in every statistical category and are all on winning teams. He is 7th among NL first basemen in OPS. Why should he make the team?

Griffey012
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Last I checked Votto is only 160,000 votes behind Fielder for 4th. Fielder is hitting .250 this season and not having that great of a season. Pujols will the starter and it should be 2 of Howard, Gonzalez, and Votto rounding out the other 2 spots. Assuming they have 3 1B. They may take all 4 with it being played in Anaheim with the DH in tact.

foltza
06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Utley will likely be voted in at 2B but will have to skip due to injury. That should make it pretty much a lock that Phillips makes the squad, along with Dan "3 errors in one inning at the all-star game" Uggala.

Agree with Griffey012 on Votto.

Rolen is probably most deserving, but agree with BRM7675 that I'd rather see him say "pass".

Rhodes status will likely depend on what roster spots are left open after the manager finishes the mandatory one from every team selections.

I predict Phillips, Rhodes, and Rolen. I think Votto will get squeezed out by a 1B from a team that only has one representative (SD Gonazalez, WAS Dunn maybe)

GIDP
06-29-2010, 06:50 PM
I think Votto, Phillips and Rolen all get shafted for the all star game.

Id be surprised if Votto makes it. Pujols is going in for fan vote, Howard will go in because his manager is managing the team, and Gonzalez will make it as well. votto is 4th at best when it comes to chances of making the team.

Phillips probably has a better chance now that Utley is out. Prado is probably going to make it. Kelly Johnson probably makes it since no other Dback will be on there. That leaves Phillips, and the cast of Uggla, and Weeks.

Rolen should make it seeing that hes the best hitting 3rd baseman this year. He probably will, but I wouldnt be surprised if Zimmerman makes it because hes from the Nats, and Reynolds for the same reason Kelly Johnson might make it. I wouldnt be surprised if someone like Chipper Jones gets in because hes Chipper Jones.

If I was a betting man I'd say Rolen makes it and the other 2 dont. I dont know about Rhodes its so hard to tell. He deserves it for a handful of reasons, hes pitching great, and hes had a lot of great years in the league.

scott91575
06-30-2010, 02:18 AM
After tonight it will be really hard for Rhodes to get the nod. Still a fantastic ERA, but he is still not a closer which hurts him.

Votto better get in. He is better than Gonzalez in pretty much every major category (although it's close).

Rolen should get in, but he might be squeezed out due to numbers. Wright may be voted in. Zimmerman could be the only Nats player. 3 third baseman is possible, but he could be left out.

Phillips should be the slam dunk, especially with Utley on the DL.

bounty37h
06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
If I had to stake my life on my thought, only Phillips goes. More deserve, but thats the name of this game, stats and performance dont really count for this one.

GIDP
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Votto Rolen and Phillips all had good series in front of the right man.

Hopefully they all make it.

UC_Ken
06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Votto better get in. He is better than Gonzalez in pretty much every major category (although it's close).

Just to play devils advocate if the numbers are close one plays his home games at great american launching pad while the other plays in petco park. I think all three should go but Gonzalez has a strong case if the numbers are not significantly different.

GIDP
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Vottos road OPS is .933 not counting todays game.
Its .939 for his career.

Votto and Gonzalez both should easily make the team. They wont though.

texasdave
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Gonzalez has an OPS+ of 163. Votto is at 160. Fangraphs gives the fielding edge to Votto. I'd say it is pretty much a draw. If you go by their Value stat. Votto is first,
Gonzalez second and then Pujols third. Howard is 8th, but you know he is going. Looks like someone has to draw the short straw here.

texasdave
06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Alright these fielding stats just took a big hit in my eyes. I looked up Jay Bruce, just because, and Fangraphs has him having a below average arm if I reading that stat correctly. There is no way that is possible.

GIDP
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Howard will not be left off the roster if Manuel has anything to do with it.

texasdave
06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Howard will not be left off the roster if Manuel has anything to do with it.

I agree. And they more than likely aren't taking four first basemen.
So a very worthy All-Star candidate is sitting home.

bounty37h
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Chipper Jones, nuff said.

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Phillips should be a lock because he leads the Majors in Runs scored.

Rolen should be a lock because he's the best-hitting 3rd Baseman in the Majors, is playing decent Defense, and has a good reputation.

Rhodes should be a lock because he's been the most dominant relief pitcher in the Majors.

While Votto should be a lock because his OPS is better than 92% of all of the other All-Stars, he'll have to earn it on this road trip. Rolen will also have to earn it by continuing to do what he's been doing as with Rhodes.

Phillips has already locked himself in, especially with Utley hurt.

nouseforaname
06-30-2010, 07:15 PM
There is 0 chance Fielder gets in over Joey. Prince's stats - .260/.385/.481/.866 17 homers, 35rbi. Joey is at .313/.413/.574/.987 18 homers, 55rbi. Votto's stats are also slightly better than Gonzalez but we'll see.

Hard to imagine a guy in the top 5 in the league in average & homers not making the game but it's certainly a possibility.

mattfeet
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I bet we'll get screwed, to be honest.

With that being said, I did my part and voted all 25 times.

-Matt

scott91575
07-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Rhodes should be a lock because he's been the most dominant relief pitcher in the Majors.

I would say that honor goes to Jose Valverde.

Anyway, I would in no way say Rhodes is a lock, and I would bet the odds are pretty good he does not make the All Star team. There are about 12 starters that are All Star worthy. Plus Billy Wagner has about the same stats as Rhodes and he is a closer. Add in Brian Wilson, Heath Bell, Francisco Rodriguez, Joe Nunez, and Ryan Franklin (all closers with good stats) and I just do not see a setup guy making it unless he has an ERA near zero. Tuesday's game killed Rhode's All Star chances. Is it fair closers get the glory? No, but that's the way it is.

scott91575
07-01-2010, 12:59 AM
There is 0 chance Fielder gets in over Joey. Prince's stats - .260/.385/.481/.866 17 homers, 35rbi. Joey is at .313/.413/.574/.987 18 homers, 55rbi. Votto's stats are also slightly better than Gonzalez but we'll see.

Hard to imagine a guy in the top 5 in the league in average & homers not making the game but it's certainly a possibility.

Heck, right now he leads the NL in OPS. If it is that way by the time the backups are picked it would be a crime if he is not on the team.