PDA

View Full Version : Baseball is way more fun when you don't suck

ILoveWilly
07-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm 26 years old now, and the last time the Reds made the playoffs, I was in like 6th or 7th grade. Damn that's one long ass time!

And my NFL team is the 49ers. Combined with 15 years of the Reds futility and 8 years of the 49ers, that's a cool 23 years of ineptitude for me. I'm guessing most here are Bengals fans though, so I'll take my combo over yours though, ty very much. :cool:

The Voice of IH
07-02-2010, 10:12 PM
oh wow, I feel so bad for you, the last time the Reds where good was in 1995, I was three....and don't remember crap. last time the Reds won the Series, I was not even a thought. (AND I'M 18 :eek:)

though I agree with your main point, it does feel a lot better when you are winning! :thumbup:

webbbj
07-02-2010, 10:17 PM
im 23 feel the same way. i have only a very vague memory of seeing the reds play the braves in the 1995 playoffs. but the 1999 season was really exciting but that seems a long time ago.

bellhead
07-02-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm 39 and missed the 1990 year, I was in boot camp from sept. to nov. that year and missed the seriers.

I will never forget chief petty officer Kemper asking how many A's fans we have and then him saying you have 5 minutes to cry as the Reds were up 3 games to 0....Talk about being on lockdown I hadn't heard a word about the series until then, I didn't even know they had played Pittsburg.

The Voice of IH
07-02-2010, 10:25 PM
im 23 feel the same way. i have only a very vague memory of seeing the reds play the braves in the 1995 playoffs. but the 1999 season was really exciting but that seems a long time ago.

was the 1999 season the season where the Reds lost a 1 game playoff against the Astros? I believe Young lined out to 2nd to end the game?

webbbj
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
was the 1999 season the season where the Reds lost a 1 game playoff against the Astros? I believe Young lined out to 2nd to end the game?

no it was against the Mets. Al leiter vs Pete Harnisch.

The Voice of IH
07-02-2010, 10:38 PM

did they ever play the astors for for a playoff spot? if not, that is how foggy that memory is lol (I was 6)

will5979
07-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Was not Harnisch, it was Steve Parris.

SidneySlicker
07-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Was not Harnisch, it was Steve Parris.

Don't bring names like those up anymore lol. I'm trying to forget those days.

CRedsLarkin11
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
23 here too, it's finally fun to be able to talk about my favorite team without some kind of a punchline. Soak it in Reds fans and I hope it continues, because we have waited a very long time

will5979
07-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Don't bring names like those up anymore lol. I'm trying to forget those days.

Why forget those days? 99-00 were good years to be a Reds fan.

When I think of Steve Parris I think of that magical season of 99. Would you rather me bring up Eric Milton, Paul Wilson, Danny Graves (as a starter), some fat dude named Hamilton we had in 02, Todd Van Poppel, Ryan Dempster, Kyle Lohse, Jared Fernandez, and Elmer Dessens?

webbbj
07-03-2010, 12:04 AM

When I think of Steve Parris I think of that magical season of 99. Would you rather me bring up Eric Milton, Paul Wilson, Danny Graves (as a starter), some fat dude named Hamilton we had in 02, Todd Van Poppel, Ryan Dempster, Kyle Lohse, Jared Fernandez, and Elmer Dessens?

some gems in this post. lol.

tbball10
07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm 21 and don't remember much of the '95 playoffs either. This team is so much fun to watch and I think they are just scratching the surface. They have the potential to be awesome for a long time!

tbball10
07-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Buck Coats, Anderson Machado, Rey Olmedo, William Bergolla, Tony Womack, Tim Hummel, Dwayne Wise.... just wanted to name drop some classic position players

LeDoux
07-03-2010, 12:23 AM

Those were some fun years. The only thing I want to forget was that rainy playoff game vs. the Mets. The Reds could not buy a hit and Ricky Henderson, of all people, with the home run.

SidneySlicker
07-03-2010, 12:33 AM

My bad you're right. I was getting the years mixed up. I do recall Harnisch pitching well for a few years for the Reds. Honestly I remember the name Steve Parris, but vaguely recall his contributions.

Vottomatic
07-03-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm 45, born in 1965.

My Dad bought our first color TV for the '75 playoffs. Some of you probably never realized TV's were black and white before color came along. :D

I've been lucky enough to experience the '75, '76 and '90 World Championships. And also experienced the Bengals Forest Gregg Super Bowl appearance and the Sam Wyche appearance. Remember both vividly. Heck, I remember Isaac Curtis and Kenny Andersen like it was yesterday. I also remember UC's Final Four and Elite Eight appearance the following year.

Have to say I've witnessed some great Cincinnati sporting achievements in my lifetime. I feel for some of you in your early 20's who've had to go without as the Reds have stunk for the most part and the Bengals flirt with being good again. UC basketball is in the tank but the football program is on the rise. Can't wait for Zach Collaros this season.

Anyway, I digress. Great that the Reds are back on top!

ian_madden
07-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm 26 years old now, and the last time the Reds made the playoffs, I was in like 6th or 7th grade. Damn that's one long ass time!

And my NFL team is the 49ers. Combined with 15 years of the Reds futility and 8 years of the 49ers, that's a cool 23 years of ineptitude for me. I'm guessing most here are Bengals fans though, so I'll take my combo over yours though, ty very much. :cool:

Really you missed all the good stuff for the 49ers. The Bengals are perennial playoff contenders in a much harder division. The 49ers lay down in the NFC west every year, get beat out by the Cardinals, the Seahawks. I feel sorry for you if you would really rather be a 49ers fan than a Bengals fan. At least we play good football and our best player doesn't get kicked out of the game by his head coach. :redface: