PDA

View Full Version : Rockies score 9 in bottom of 9th to beat Cardinals!

Vottomatic
07-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Down 9-3 heading into the bottom of the 9th, Rockies pull off the miracle and score 9 to win 12-9.

It can happen to any team. Thought it just happened to us (Atlanta). Cards got a taste tonight. Sa-weet.

RedsFanInBama
07-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Amazing. In addition to the Braves doing it to us earlier this year, I remember it also happening a few years back when we blew one like that at home against the Cardinals. Glad they got one tonight.

arkimadee
07-07-2010, 01:32 AM
we are even now on blowing games we should have won... now we can put the
Atlanta game behind us because the cards did the same exact thing

arkimadee
07-07-2010, 01:42 AM
anyone hear the fbomb that someone yelled during the rockies call.. that was hilarous

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 03:07 AM
This is so cool.

That should send the Cardinals into a mini-tail spin. I'll be shocked if they don't lose 3 of their next 5 before the All-Star break.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 04:05 AM
It said that no team in the modern era of baseball has ever scored 9 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning to win a game.

I do believe that Dave Winfield was the losing pitcher for the University of Minnesota during the College World Series where the team he pitched against scored 9 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win the game.

That's the only other time I've heard it happening before.

Mush
07-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm just gutted I didn't stay up to see it!

Watched the Reds game. Bit blah. Started watching the Rockies game. It looked a bit ominous and I didn't want to see all the gloating Cards fans - so called it a night and went to bed.

Got up this morning and it was like - what?????

That really had to sting. :beerme:

Redeye fly
07-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Love it. If there's any sense of justice and fairness, the little Cincinnati Reds will win the division this year, and that team of arrogant whiners can spend October watching tv and rubbing their baseballs at home.

TheBigLebowski
07-07-2010, 08:30 AM
That was awesome.

Didn't a Lasorda-led Dodgers team score double-digit runs in the bottom 9th against the Phillies? I was a young kid then...it's probably been 15 years but I still remember watching Lasorda running around his dugout with his hands on his head in disbelief.

texasdave
07-07-2010, 08:54 AM
That was awesome.

Didn't a Lasorda-led Dodgers team score double-digit runs in the bottom 9th against the Phillies? I was a young kid then...it's probably been 15 years but I still remember watching Lasorda running around his dugout with his hands on his head in disbelief.

Little-known fact: Dusty Baker was on that particular Dodgers' team and the sight of Lasorda running aimlessly around the basepaths was the inspiration for Bakermetrics. But you already knew that. :thumbup:

TheBigLebowski
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Little-known fact: Dusty Baker was on that particular Dodgers' team and the sight of Lasorda running aimlessly around the basepaths was the inspiration for Bakermetrics. But you already knew that. :thumbup:

I did not know that, although I did see Dusty running around the dugout with his hands over his eyes last night when he elected to let Maloney pitch to two righties with RISP, a decision which is even more baffling when one considers Maloney was obviously gassed. I have been studying Bakermetrics for a LONG time and I have dedicated my life to this endeavor, yet even I was clueless as to that logic.

texasdave
07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I actually do remember seeing that clip of Lasorda running around helter-skelter with his hands on his head. It could well have been at the culmination of an improbable rally. It is equally likely that Tommy had suddenly awakened from one of his infamous dugout snoozes and thought he was late for school.

RedsRock
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
That was awesome.

I think you are thinking of the game in 1990 where the Dodgers got beat by the Phillies scoring 8 runs in the ninth. They were hot on our heels at the time, and they never recovered from the loss.

Lasorda flung a can of pop (beer?) off a shelf in the dugout when John Kruk tied the game on a homer.

CySeymour
07-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Shades of Adam Dunn beating Cleveland with a walk off grandslam a few years ago. I think the Reds had scored 9 runs in there final 2 at-bats.

Magdal
07-07-2010, 09:32 AM
This is so cool.

That should send the Cardinals into a mini-tail spin. I'll be shocked if they don't lose 3 of their next 5 before the All-Star break.Or it might wake them up. Either way, I would like to be a fly on the wall in their locker room.:D

foxfire123
07-07-2010, 10:02 AM
It's about time Franklin had a bad out! From the Colorado website article:

"The last time the Cardinals allowed nine runs in the ninth inning was Aug. 6, 1959, when they surrendered 10 to the Pirates in an 18-2 drubbing, according to the Elias Sports Bureau"

So, how many new fans did Seth Smith gain last night? :D

Mr Larkin
07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I wonder if the fans in St. Louis are calling for the head of Tony LaRussa today?

Many of you placed that Braves comeback squarely on the shoulders of Dusty. Does Tony get the same reaction?

texasdave
07-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I wonder if the fans in St. Louis are calling for the head of Tony LaRussa today?

Many of you placed that Braves comeback squarely on the shoulders of Dusty. Does Tony get the same reaction?

Who cares? Tony LaRussa is St. Louis' problem. I could care less about Tony LaRussa.

Mr Larkin
07-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Who cares? Tony LaRussa is St. Louis' problem. I could care less about Tony LaRussa.

I suppose my point is do the fans in St Louis overreact like the fans in Cincy or do they understand the game better?

foxfire123
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
According to the comments on the St Louis PD page, they're screaming for Tony's head, Winn's head, Franklin's head, and one was comparing Cards' owners to the 'walking carnival barker" owners of the Astros......

Mr Larkin
07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
So they have fans who are just as over reactive as ours. I'm not sure if that makes me feel any better or not.

Magdal
07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
So they have fans who are just as over reactive as ours. I'm not sure if that makes me feel any better or not.LOL...I think if you don't strongly react to the worse 9th inning beat-down in your lifetime you are'nt much of a fan, no matter what city you live in.

LarkinForever
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree...I think the Cards won't be able to shake this one off the rest of the week. We need to increase our lead before the break. :cool:

arkimadee
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Wasn't there a game in 2001 where the Indians came back from 11 runs down to win a game? If I recall it was very close to 9-11... anyone else remember? maybe seattle?

arkimadee
07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
According to the comments on the St Louis PD page, they're screaming for Tony's head, Winn's head, Franklin's head, and one was comparing Cards' owners to the 'walking carnival barker" owners of the Astros......
we were doing the same thing when the Braves came back. We wanted Cairo's head, Dusty's head and the Bullpens head. If the Cards recover the way we did they will be just fine unfortunately.

foxfire123
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
we were doing the same thing when the Braves came back. We wanted Cairo's head, Dusty's head and the Bullpens head.

Oh I know, I called Dusty and the bullpen nearly every name in the book after that one myself. Any fan, even the most loyal, is going to behave badly after a loss like that.

It's more funny here since St Louis fans just aren't used to not being top dog. the bandwagoneers are fuming.

Magdal
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh I know, I called Dusty and the bullpen nearly every name in the book after that one myself. Any fan, even the most loyal, is going to behave badly after a loss like that.

It's more funny here since St Louis fans just aren't used to not being top dog. the bandwagoneers are fuming.I can't agree with you here, Fox. It had been 19 years since they won a pennant and were then swept by the Red Sox. They win it all 2 years later with a so-so team because the Tigers made 200 errors.

Last year they were swept in the playoffs by L.A. There is NO WAY the fans can be "used to being top dog". Not with results from the last 23 years. Winning 1 more pennant than the Reds in that span equals FAIL.

I'm sure the more seasoned fans realize this, and have been calling for LaRussa's head for several years.

GIDP
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Yes he does. People hate him as much as we all hate Dusty.

Redeye fly
07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I can't agree with you here, Fox. It had been 19 years since they won a pennant and were then swept by the Red Sox. They win it all 2 years later with a so-so team because the Tigers made 200 errors.

Last year they were swept in the playoffs by L.A. There is NO WAY the fans can be "used to being top dog". Not with results from the last 23 years. Winning 1 more pennant than the Reds in that span equals FAIL.

I'm sure the more seasoned fans realize this, and have been calling for LaRussa's head for several years.

They've been top dog or close to the top dog in the NL Central for at least the past half decade or so. The Cubs and Brewers finished ahead of them one year. But the Cardinals have been the team that has most consistently made runs to the playoffs in the division. I'm indeed sure they would like to have done more in the post season than what they have. But they've been the team in the division over that time that has had the most realistic expectations of at least getting to the postseason pretty much every year.

redssince75
07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I can't agree with you here, Fox. It had been 19 years since they won a pennant and were then swept by the Red Sox. They win it all 2 years later with a so-so team because the Tigers made 200 errors.

I lived in St. Louis in the 90s and then again for the past 5 years...the fans here do indeed regard themselves as "top dog" in the NL Central, the rest are small-town teams or traditional losers who have no business being close to the Cardinals. No matter how bad the Cardinals are. That's just the way people think here.

TheBigLebowski
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/B08210LAN1990.htm

This is the game I was referencing.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Wasn't there a game in 2001 where the Indians came back from 11 runs down to win a game? If I recall it was very close to 9-11... anyone else remember? maybe seattle?

I watched it. Mariners were up 14-3 in the 5th and lost the game. But, the Indians did most of their damage in the middle innings.

Magdal
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
They've been top dog or close to the top dog in the NL Central for at least the past half decade or so. The Cubs and Brewers finished ahead of them one year. But the Cardinals have been the team that has most consistently made runs to the playoffs in the division. I'm indeed sure they would like to have done more in the post season than what they have. But they've been the team in the division over that time that has had the most realistic expectations of at least getting to the postseason pretty much every year.You forgot about the Astros.

texasdave
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
They've been top dog or close to the top dog in the NL Central for at least the past half decade or so. The Cubs and Brewers finished ahead of them one year. But the Cardinals have been the team that has most consistently made runs to the playoffs in the division. I'm indeed sure they would like to have done more in the post season than what they have. But they've been the team in the division over that time that has had the most realistic expectations of at least getting to the postseason pretty much every year.

Last time I checked teams start every year at 0-0. What a team did in 2009 or the last half decade doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what a team does in 2010.

Mush
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Good to see the Cards are consistent this year. They blew it again last night!

Not quite as a spectacular blow out as the night before but it was a definitely another 'grasp defeat from the jaws of victory' game for them. Great stuff.

PedroBourbon
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Gotta love the back to back implosion by the Cards. I hope this continues and can give the Reds some breathing room going into the break!

Keep voting Votto!!!!!!

Vottomatic
07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I hope they implode big time. Then I hope Pujols walks at the end of the year into free agency.

redssince75
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Last time I checked teams start every year at 0-0. What a team did in 2009 or the last half decade doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what a team does in 2010.

Tell that to Cubs fans.