PDA

View Full Version : Can the Reds hold off the Cards?

Magdal
07-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Since I joined this site the Reds have been doing good. But in the last 5 or 6 games not so good. This is not a good time to tank it. If the Cards had been playing like the team they are on "paper" we would be buried now.

A good starter HAS to be added. Well, Walt?

will5979
07-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Starter? How about a new freakin bullpen, especially a closer

muddie
07-10-2010, 10:32 AM
It is, and has been, my belief that patience is the best thing for this team, and the fans. I never have been a proponent of going after a starter so far this year. I have been a proponenet of letting the chips fall where they would until one area of need is very evident. It is beginning to look like the pen is going to need more attention than the starters via trades, call ups, whatever. I think the pen and the starters will be better in the second half even if the Reds stand pat. However, at the half way point, you start looking for insurance.

I am beginning to believe that Chapman may come up mid to late August, at least for a look. Valiquette is another unknown at the top. They are both from the left side and I am anxious to see what they have at the next level but realize they could be a ways out yet. There are options here internally but I believe the organization is probably looking outside for something a bit more established at this point.

I do concern myself that the offense can continue to be as productive as it has been. At this point though, that's just something to watch.

My goal for the Reds this year was to win the wild card. I thought they were going to surprise and have to date. No offense to anyone here, but I don't think this team is as fragile of some of the fans. I'll take a tie at the break for first place. Walt is a better GM than what resides in St. Louis today. He's done well to date in my opinion. I have enjoyed the first half, regardless the next two games.

I'm anxious to see what unfolds going forward.

The Voice of IH
07-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Since I joined this site the Reds have been doing good. But in the last 5 or 6 games not so good. This is not a good time to tank it. If the Cards had been playing like the team they are on "paper" we would be buried now.

Another way to title the thread is, "Are the Reds True Contenders?" the answer is a huge yes. the Reds can hold off the Cardinals. It won't be a blow out by any definition, but I think these Reds are hugely in the race no doubt.

The last five games the Reds have played very solid teams and are 2-3 (with 2 extra innings heartbreakers). With the resilience this team has shown throughout the season, I doubt (and pry a little :p:) that this would ruin everything.

I am beginning to believe that Chapman may come up mid to late August, at least for a look. Valiquette is another unknown at the top. They are both from the left side and I am anxious to see what they have at the next level but realize they could be a ways out yet. There are options here internally but I believe the organization is probably looking outside for something a bit more established at this point.

I do concern myself that the offense can continue to be as productive as it has been. At this point though, that's just something to watch.

I would imagine that Chapman would be up well before mid August. and we have some bats....I keep asking, is it possible to bring up Alonso just for his bat for off the bench down the road?

Maker_84
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
not looking good

The Voice of IH
07-10-2010, 11:50 AM
not looking good

:explode:

Razzle
07-10-2010, 02:28 PM

"We"? Over at the Cubs board (NSBB), you are a Cubs/Cards fan. Now are you just a "whoever is leading the NL Central" fan?

Anyway, I'm a Cards fan. As the teams are currently constructed (ie with the injuries to the Cards an lack of depth to fill those voids) I think the Reds are the better team at this moment. We pretty much have to win with Carp/Waino/Garcia due to the unlikelihood of winning with Suppan and Hawksworth on the mound. With Penny and Lohse not likely to return anytime soon, I'm just hoping to keep pace with the Reds until we get healthy, if that happens. There's still a lot of baseball left and we'll likely see a good finish down the stretch between these two clubs.

sivman17
07-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes, they can. Will they? Who knows...

brm7675
07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
With Dusty as Manager = No
With a replacment = Better chance

sabometrics
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Didn't we just take 3 of 4 from the Cubs at Wrigley, absolutely demolishing them in the process? Didn't we just beat a very good Mets team 2 out of 3? People seriously don't realize we're 1 win away from a superb road trip. 6-5 would be a great result. Two tough losses in a 5-4 road trip so far. You guys need to take a deep breath and relax.

AintlifeGrande
07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
If we blow it this year,and the Cards come back and take the division,it will be a hard pill to swallow.Stinkin Cards fans will be vindicated,and the Reds will fall back into mediocrity.

brm7675
07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Didn't we just take 3 of 4 from the Cubs at Wrigley, absolutely demolishing them in the process? Didn't we just beat a very good Mets team 2 out of 3? People seriously don't realize we're 1 win away from a superb road trip. 6-5 would be a great result. Two tough losses in a 5-4 road trip so far. You guys need to take a deep breath and relax.

It's not that we loss, we are going to lose games, it is HOW we lost. Game 1 vs. the Phillies are manager was out managed and due to stupidness either on his part of Walt's or both was forced to play with less then a full roster which came back to bite him and limit his moves. Game 2 we had won, anyone watching could see Leake was pooped, you have a full bullpen to use, go to it. But NO, Dusty wanted to give the kid a chance for his first complete game...yea well how did that go. Losing is acceptable, giving games away due to poor management is NOT.:thumbdown

sabometrics
07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
HOW we lost means absolutely jack diddly in the standings bud. Relax.

brm7675
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
HOW we lost means absolutely jack diddly in the standings bud. Relax.

Buzz wrong again, it is HUGE. It is games like last night, or the night before or the Braves game that we lost in the 9th that cost teams playoff appearances. A loss like we had in game 2 vs. the Mets (Santana) are going to happen, you can not GIVE AWAY GAMES and expect to be in the playoffs. My god how some people just don't get it. Losing is bad, giving away games is UNACCEPTABLE.

sabometrics
07-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Just another loss. Those games happen to every team, every season. Take your sky is falling act to someone else's ears because I'm not hearing it.

bleedsred
07-10-2010, 06:23 PM
The sky is not falling......that was just Howard's 2-run bomb...

Reds
07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Just another loss. Those games happen to every team, every season. Take your sky is falling act to someone else's ears because I'm not hearing it.

I agree. I think we'll snatch at least one of the next two for a decent roadtrip.

Mr Larkin
07-10-2010, 11:31 PM

I like your way of thinking. Ditto.

sabometrics
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Honestly with the performance Wood gave today, now that I've had some time to cool off, its tough to stay mad. We've had a handful of really tough games this week. But our rotation looks absolutely rock solid. Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Wood (I can't see him being booted until he has a major regression), and Volquez is looking like a powerful rotation down the stretch. Harang all of the sudden may be out of a job in the starting rotation, and he's been solid lately. Maloney and LeCure haven't been total chumps, and there's still Homer. We have so many capable arms I feel confident our rotation can survive anything and still be good (and possibly better than good).

We've been worrying about a contingency plan when Leake has to be shut down? Well we seem pretty ok now, whoever the man is that steps into the rotation in September.
Hell, Dusty can even get creative if if we somehow put some space between us and the Cards.

You can focus on short-term negatives after yet another extra inning loss, or you can look at how the long term picture looks even brighter in the rotation.

Mr Larkin
07-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Honestly with the performance Wood gave today, now that I've had some time to cool off, its tough to stay mad. We've had a handful of really tough games this week. But our rotation looks absolutely rock solid. Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Wood (I can't see him being booted until he has a major regression), and Volquez is looking like a powerful rotation down the stretch. Harang all of the sudden may be out of a job in the starting rotation, and he's been solid lately. Maloney and LeCure haven't been total chumps, and there's still Homer. We have so many capable arms I feel confident our rotation can survive anything and still be good (and possibly better than good).

We've been worrying about a contingency plan when Leake has to be shut down? Well we seem pretty ok now, whoever the man is that steps into the rotation in September.
Hell, Dusty can even get creative if if we somehow put some space between us and the Cards.

You can focus on short-term negatives after yet another extra inning loss, or you can look at how the long term picture looks even brighter in the rotation.

Fining agreement on Redszone is not easy, but I am on your train. The future is so bright (and for the most part the present), we got to wear shades!

nkukevin
07-10-2010, 11:58 PM

Great post. I was upset for a while and then I stepped back and thought about it for a bit. We've seen some great pitching performances from our starters recently. Three games doesn't change the season. Maybe the Reds don't have enough to compete with other teams in the playoffs , but the Cardinals aren't any better. The foundation is there for a great team in the future. I still think this team can get 90 wins. I'd take that.

Maker_84
07-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Great post. I was upset for a while and then I stepped back and thought about it for a bit. We've seen some great pitching performances from our starters recently. Three games doesn't change the season. Maybe the Reds don't have enough to compete with other teams in the playoffs , but the Cardinals aren't any better. The foundation is there for a great team in the future. I still think this team can get 90 wins. I'd take that.

ill be happy if we make the playoffs, but we will get crushed if we somehow do

maniem
07-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Tonight's loss and Thursday's loss were dissappointing, but not devastating, IMO. The Reds battled, but just couldn't get over the hump, and that's all you can really ask for. But Friday's loss was a complete meltdown and something that just can't happen, let alone twice in one season. I'm still fuming about it, it's a loss that i won't be able to let go for awhile. I was fully expecting the Reds to lose 3 of 4 in this series, but they still would have gone into the All Star break 10 games over and at least a 1 game lead. Now they have to beat Hamels to avoid the sweep, and he's been almost unhittable against them in the past. Will be very tough.

This division absolutely sucks, and no team is taking advantage of it. 85 wins should easily win this division, and that's why Friday's loss is so absolutely frustrating. Both the Reds and Cards are blowing games and neither of them act like they want to win it. The Reds have to capitalize on the Cards not playing well, but they haven't been able to do that.