PDA

View Full Version : Devin Mesorasco

TheBigLebowski
07-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Obviously, several threads are popping up now about potential trades and, invariably, folks will predict what we'd have to give up to get the player being discussed...Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, etc.

In many of these trade threads, one name I see popping up over and over again as someone who we should not deal is Mesorasco.

Admittedly, I do not keep up with our minor leaguers as much as many here do. I do recall reading that Devin started slowly...which is to be expected for a catcher drafted right out of high school.....but if so many consider him to be untouchable, did he make that great leap forward? Is he looking like a guy who might be a great big league catcher?

I would think, with our selection of fellow catcher Grandal in the 1st this year, who appears to be more major-league ready, Mesorasco would be a fine trading chip, unless is does not appear we are going to be able to sign Grandal.

GIDP
07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
The reason why people dont want to trade Mes is because of how RARE catching prospects are. Mes has always had the talent, he struggled with some injuries, but his peripheral numbers were strong. Such as K% and BB%. He turned it around for the most part last year while hitting in the FSL. His power numbers were down but that league does that to players. This year the power numbers are showing up more than ever and hes not only becoming one of the better prospects, hes also becoming one of the better all around hitters in the minors for the Reds.

That is why hes untouchable unless you are getting a big deal in return. Think Josh Becket for Hanley Ramirez type of deals.

BringDownMugabe
07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Devin Mesorasco couldn't hold Hanley Ramirez's jockstrap. This is the first time the Reds have been in the middle of a playoff hunt this late in the season in years, and if the Reds are hesitant to give up Mesorasco for a legitimate #1 starter, they deserve not to make the playoffs. Mesorasco was a complete bust up until this season, which screams more Ben Davis than Joe Mauer. Even with his "breakout" season, the odds are still completely against him for ever reaching success in the majors. Prospects, especially during a PLAYOFF RACE, are completely overvalued by the team chasing the pennant.

sivman17
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
How come the Reds aren't trying Yonder Alonso at catcher? He isn't going to play 1B, and he sucks in LF.

gedred69
07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
How come the Reds aren't trying Yonder Alonso at catcher? He isn't going to play 1B, and he sucks in LF.

Just about every pundit as well as many on this site, feel like Alonso was never more than a good bargaining chip sometime down the road ever since he was drafted. Hernandez is at the end of his career, Hanigan still has things to prove, Mesoraco is looking promising, (Grandal has yet to take a Pro swing), Coddington has shown he may develop into at least a credible back-up some day.......

Kingspoint
07-10-2010, 04:52 PM
It's "Mesoraco".

Vottomatic
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Devin Mesorasco couldn't hold Hanley Ramirez's jockstrap.

Why? Does he have small hands? :D

GIDP
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Why? Does he have small hands? :D

How do you know what size Hanleys jock strap is... :p

Orodle
07-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I saw a lot of Mesorasco in Dayton, wasnt impressed at all. He shouldnt be mentioned ANYWHERE near the likes of Ramirez. I will give you that hes hitting this year.........but hes been in A ball for what 3 seasons now?
On Alonso....if he cant learn LF how is he gunna learn to catch?

sabometrics
07-11-2010, 01:30 AM
I saw a lot of Mesorasco in Dayton, wasnt impressed at all. He shouldnt be mentioned ANYWHERE near the likes of Ramirez. I will give you that hes hitting this year.........but hes been in A ball for what 3 seasons now?

He's mashing AA pitching now. And he spent time developing at lower levels because he was a HS catching prospect. At his age you couldn't expect Mauer-like ascension through the minors from every prospect. He's on a good time-table right now at 22 and in AA.

But yeah, right now he isn't close to as valuable as Hanley was when he was a prospect. Still good, but not at that level yet.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 01:33 AM

1 year of rookie ball at the age of 19
1 year of low A ball at age 20
1 year and some change at high A at age 21 and 22. 2 different teams and leagues
113 ABs of AA ball at age 22.

Hes OPSing over 1.000 at AA and A+ this year.

even if you add low A and high A together you still wouldnt get 3 years.