PDA

View Full Version : Reds: America’s 16th-favorite MLB team

Red Forman
07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Per Biz Courier of Cincy....

Reds: America’s 16th-favorite MLB team

The Cincinnati Reds are the 16th-most-popular Major League Baseball team in America, according to a new poll from Harris Interactive.

The Reds ranked 15th last year, and over the decade, were ranked as high as eighth in 2005.

The New York Yankees claimed the top spot, followed by the Boston Red Sox and the Atlanta Braves.

Rounding out the top 10 are the Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins and St. Louis Cardinals.

Some 36 percent of Americans say they follow Major League Baseball, down from last year when 41 percent said they followed baseball and 40 percent said so in 2008, Harris Interactive said. Men are more likely to do so than women (46 percent versus 27 percent). Also African-Americans are more likely to be followers of the sport, compared to both Whites and Hispanics (41 percent versus 36 percent and 34 percent).

There is also a regional divide, as almost half of Easterners (48 percent) say they follow baseball, compared to 34 percent of Westerners and 29 percent of Southerners.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2010/07/12/daily7.html

redsfan_12
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Im suprised the Easterns are that high. Guess there are a lot better things to do out west. I guess it doesnt help when a 7ET game starts at 4PT lol

sabometrics
07-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Also African-Americans are more likely to be followers of the sport, compared to both Whites and Hispanics (41 percent versus 36 percent and 34 percent).

Most surprising part of this report imo. All you ever hear is that African-American participation in baseball is down across the board, yet a larger percentage are interested than other demographics. I'd like to know what these numbers were 5 & 10 years ago.

GaiusBallstar
07-13-2010, 02:44 AM
To be honest, after so many years of struggling, I'm surprised the Reds are that high. Guess having some history definitely helps, its good to hear were at least in the middle in popularity. Bodes well for the team growing its market share and revenue base if it can continue to win.

double21d
07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I thought we recently saw a study that showed the Reds as the 2nd most hated team in baseball.
It goes to show you that a lot of the studies that are done for things that matter should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Voice of IH
07-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I thought it was the red sox's is the second most hated??