PDA

View Full Version : Tipping the hot bar maid?

Spitball
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
My wife and I went to went to a local pub earlier today for happy hour when pints are $1.50. We sat at the bar and occassionally talked to the bar maid who is very pretty.

Twice she made a drink in a blender and poured the drink for the customer into a tall glass. Each time she poured what was left from the blender into a regular cocktail glass and gave it to us. My wife and I each had four $1.50 pints (eight total), and I requested the tab. She only charged us for six pints and didn't charge us for two. With tax, the bill was around $9.27 instead of $12.36. I gave her a twenty and asked for two back.

I believe in tipping generously and understand the 20% rule of thumb, but did I tip too much? Maybe too little? Does the hot bar maid factor still apply when you are with your wife???

reds1869
07-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Tip as generously as you want. My wife always gives me a hard time when I "over-tip" a hot waitress but I do it anyway.

SandyD
07-12-2010, 11:29 PM
How long did you stay?

I think your tip was fine. IMO, you should have paid at least $15, including tip. You were a bit generous, but she seemed to service you well. Seems reasonable to me.

As for the "hot bartender" thing, would you have tipped differently if the server were a "hot MALE bartender?"

couch_manager
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
If all you're doing is drinking at the bar, $1 a drink is my rule of thumb.

Caveat Emperor
07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
If all you're doing is drinking at the bar, $1 a drink is my rule of thumb.

If I go someplace regularly, I always tip much more generously than the "rule of thumb" would dictate -- at a couple of places, the extra tips have paid for themselves in extra rounds of drinks that mysteriously don't get added to the bill or in instant service when the place happens to be crowded.

YMMV, though. I'm always of the mind that if you can afford to eat out somewhere or drink out somewhere, you can afford to be good to the people taking care of you (presuming they do, in fact, take care of you).

reds1869
07-12-2010, 11:59 PM
If I go someplace regularly, I always tip much more generously than the "rule of thumb" would dictate -- at a couple of places, the extra tips have paid for themselves in extra rounds of drinks that mysteriously don't get added to the bill or in instant service when the place happens to be crowded.

YMMV, though. I'm always of the mind that if you can afford to eat out somewhere or drink out somewhere, you can afford to be good to the people taking care of you (presuming they do, in fact, take care of you).

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way and have been "taken care of" more than once at places I frequent.

Spitball
07-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Tip as generously as you want. My wife always gives me a hard time when I "over-tip" a hot waitress but I do it anyway.

Me too.

As for the "hot bartender" thing, would you have tipped differently if the server were a "hot MALE bartender?"

Honestly, no. Though, when given freebies, I do generally add them into the tip.

...you can afford to be good to the people taking care of you (presuming they do, in fact, take care of you).

See above. If given freebies, I try to reward the worker. I have never been a server but know they rely on those tips. As you said, tipping generously sometimes pays off in later rewards.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way and have been "taken care of" more than once at places I frequent.

Right.

couch_manager
07-13-2010, 12:07 AM

Wow. Are you calling me a cheapskate? :confused:

Okay, since I want to look like the cool guy in this thread too, forget what I said. I actually give the bartender my credit card for a day. ;)

07-13-2010, 01:31 AM
How long did you stay?

I

Spitball, would you notice that he was hot?;)

GaiusBallstar
07-13-2010, 03:28 AM
I think you were somewhat too generous, but man its your right to tip as much as you want. She gave you a big discount and she was hot, these things carry weight.

BuckWild03
07-13-2010, 11:36 AM
My girlfriend is a server so she always reminds me you should tip on what the bill should be, not what it actually is. So, it sounds like you got a couple extra drinks and a discount so I think your tip was fair. It should also go a long way if/when you go back as she'll be much more likely to remember you and treat you well.

15fan
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
My wife and I each had four $1.50 pints (eight total), and I requested the tab. She only charged us for six pints and didn't charge us for two. With tax, the bill was around $9.27 instead of $12.36. I gave her a twenty and asked for two back.

$18 for 8 pints of beer, tax, tip, and some dividend remnants of mixed drinks and you're worried that you overpaid?

Was in NYC late last week. $18 covers 3 bottles of beer. No tax. No tip. Just 3 bottles of beer.

remdog
07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
My girlfriend is a server so she always reminds me you should tip on what the bill should be, not what it actually is. So, it sounds like you got a couple extra drinks and a discount so I think your tip was fair. It should also go a long way if/when you go back as she'll be much more likely to remember you and treat you well.

I agree with that.

I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago where the chain had sent me a $10.00 gift card as part of a promotion. Got a couple of fish tacos and an iced tea. The bill, with tax, was around a buck. Had I tipped on the total of the bill I would have looked stupid not to mention uncaring. So, I tipped the waiter $5.00 and went out the door feeling happy.

Basically, when I'm somewhere on a promotion or someone gives me a freebie I either split the 'profit' with the server or tip on what the bill would have been under normal circumstances.

Rem

VR
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I've been in the hospitality biz for 30+ years. My primary driver for tipping is attitude. I have no problem leaving a buck on a $30 bill, or leaving a $20 on a $10 bill. I'm not talking about someone treating me like a king (although, obviously, I deserve it), but a general 'hey, I realize you are the customer, and I am going to do everything I can to show you that we appreciate it". That includes prompt service, good communication, and a thank you.

Indifference in this industry is poison, and isn't rewarded by me.

westofyou
07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Indifference in this industry is poison, and isn't rewarded by me.

Portland is a town awash in service industry folks who don't want to be in that industry, when I come across a server I appreciate I tip them well, hence why when I walk into my pub I get a glass of what I want without asking, as well as my second, they always ask if I want a 3rd, and that's why they get good tips.

bucksfan2
07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I've been in the hospitality biz for 30+ years. My primary driver for tipping is attitude. I have no problem leaving a buck on a $30 bill, or leaving a $20 on a $10 bill. I'm not talking about someone treating me like a king (although, obviously, I deserve it), but a general 'hey, I realize you are the customer, and I am going to do everything I can to show you that we appreciate it". That includes prompt service, good communication, and a thank you.

I often feel bad tipping poorly. If service is bad usually I will leave around 10%. Often times I feel it isn't necessarily the server rather a combination of factors that leads to the bad service.

I look for a couple things in a good server and a lot of times it depends on the location or the reason I am in the establishment. If I am there with people and we are getting drinks. I don't want a server who is constantly waiting on us, rather someone who notices when my drink is close to empty to ask if I want another. If you work at a sports bar type establishment you should be that difficult to do. If I am out at a nicer restaurant with family, friends, or my wife I want someone who is attentive but isn't coming around asking if I need anything every 3 minutes. If I wanted you around that much I would invite you to pull up a chair. In that situation I want someone who is knowledgeable but also gives me space.

KOBasinger
07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I always tip somebody 20% at the least just because I used to work in a restaurant and I know how important tips are to a server. Unless you are a complete ass, you'll be getting a pretty good tip from me. Honestly though, I would've just let her have the $20. Where's the $2 going to go anyway?

GIDP
07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
You should have just gave the 20 to the wife and said "Hey can you pay for this while I go to the bathroom?"

:)

PedroBourbon
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Was in NYC late last week. $18 covers 3 bottles of beer. No tax. No tip. Just 3 bottles of beer.

Still cheaper than 3 beers at GABP!!!!!

GIDP
07-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Especially when you look at the average income between the 2 cities.

couch_manager
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM

That's not surprising. You can't even use the bathroom at McDonald's in NYC without a token.

Spitball
07-13-2010, 06:41 PM

I pay $5.25 for a 24 ounce Diamond Bear India Pale Ale draft at our local minor league park. My wife and daughter get the 24 ounce Bud Lite draft for $4.75....I tip the beer guy a dollar each time...and no, he is not even a little bit hot. :beerme:

reds1869
07-13-2010, 06:44 PM
I pay $5.25 for a 24 ounce Diamond Bear India Pale Ale draft at our local minor league park. My wife and daughter get the 24 ounce Bud Lite draft for $4.75....I tip the beer guy a dollar each time...and no, he is not even a little bit hot. :beerme:

Diamond Bear IPA for only two quarters more than Bud Light? Brilliant!

Spitball
07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Diamond Bear IPA for only two quarters more than Bud Light? Brilliant!

24 ounce Fat Tire, Bitburger, Hook Slide Pale Ale, and Diamond Bear IPA are all $5.25 at the Beer Garden window. If you get a 12 ounce can or bottle elsewhere in the park, it's $3.00 for Bud and Miller and $3.25 for the Diamond Bear.

George Anderson
07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
That's not surprising. You can't even use the bathroom at McDonald's in NYC without a token.

We were in a mexican restaurant in Manhatten a few years back and got charged for drink refills. I couldn't believe it.

westofyou
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
We were in a mexican restaurant in Manhatten a few years back and got charged for drink refills. I couldn't believe it.

That's not a NYC centric fault. happens all over.

At least all over the coasts

George Anderson
07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
That's not a NYC centric fault. happens all over.

At least all over the coasts

I can't believe that. Is it like that in Portland at most restaurants??

westofyou
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I can't believe that. Is it like that in Portland at most restaurants??

Asian places, fancier places, not usually Mexican joints. Of course I'm speaking of all independent joints, not your Chilis ect...

George Anderson
07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Asian places, fancier places, not usually Mexican joints. Of course I'm speaking of all independent joints, not your Chilis ect...

I thought you hated Chili's?....Gawd the unimportant things I remember.

I'd drink water if I dined on the coasts.

westofyou
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I thought you hated Chili's?....Gawd the unimportant things I remember.

I'd drink water if I dined on the coasts.

Correct i do hate Chilis, I also tend to drink water as well, $2.50 for 12 ounces of something not alcohol is not my style.

RBA
07-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I use coupons and promotions all the time. But I tip on the total prior to the discount I get. I think that's the fair way you're suppose to do it. I know some people who tip on the total after discount.

Yes, I'm the one that says: She will have one entree of equal value or less. ;)

reds1869
07-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I use coupons and promotions all the time. But I tip on the total prior to the discount I get. I think that's the fair way you're suppose to do it. I know some people who tip on the total after discount.

Yes, I'm the one that says: She will have one entree of equal value or less. ;)
My favorite Mexican place always has coupons for buy one entree, get one free (up to $6 value). Naturally the cheapest entree they have is $7.95. :D

I agree, I always tip on what the amount would have been before any discounts.

The Operator
07-14-2010, 04:12 AM
I usually leave a bare minimum of 20% of the original bill before any discounts on a tip. The service has to be painfully bad for me to go below that.

I feel like they work very hard for their money, and it's a job I wouldn't want to do myself. If they're good at it, I'll reward them. I feel like what goes around comes around as far as that stuff goes.

TheNext44
07-14-2010, 04:59 AM
$18 for 8 pints of beer, tax, tip, and some dividend remnants of mixed drinks and you're worried that you overpaid?

New York's got nothing on LA.

$18 is the price of an imported beer at Dodger Stadium. $15 a bottle for Bud.

But the worst I experienced was at a VIP Cub here in LA. It was the first stop at a bachelor party, and I started with a bottled water, which I do when I'm going to drink too much to lessen the hangover. The bottled water... $16.

I love going back go the midwest. I can actually afford things there.

I never worry about over tipping. If you can afford it, I guarantee you, the server will not be insulted, or take it the wrong way. Big tips are always welcome.

I do always leave at least two buck, no matter the bill, no matter the service. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows that they do at least $2 worth of work for each order. And remember that the server's minimum wage is around $2 an hour in most states, so their tips are their salary.

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
New York's got nothing on LA.

$18 is the price of an imported beer at Dodger Stadium. $15 a bottle for Bud.

But the worst I experienced was at a VIP Cub here in LA. It was the first stop at a bachelor party, and I started with a bottled water, which I do when I'm going to drink too much to lessen the hangover. The bottled water... $16.

I love going back go the midwest. I can actually afford things there.

I never worry about over tipping. If you can afford it, I guarantee you, the server will not be insulted, or take it the wrong way. Big tips are always welcome.

I do always leave at least two buck, no matter the bill, no matter the service. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows that they do at least $2 worth of work for each order. And remember that the server's minimum wage is around $2 an hour in most states, so their tips are their salary.

Yea I noticed that when I was in SD. Went to a Padres game and the beer was around $10 per 16oz draft. It is one of the reasons I love the midwest, prices are much more reasonable across the board. I am sure the winters are great out on the left coast but I don't exactly know if I want to rent when I am 45 years old.

westofyou
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Yea I noticed that when I was in SD. Went to a Padres game and the beer was around $10 per 16oz draft. It is one of the reasons I love the midwest, prices are much more reasonable across the board. I am sure the winters are great out on the left coast but I don't exactly know if I want to rent when I am 45 years old.

Everyone rents out here?

Not everyone.

reds1869
07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Everyone rents out here?

Not everyone.

I'm one of those odd birds that actually prefers to rent. We tend to get the itch to move every two to three years, so we learned from the five years it took to sell our house that owning is not for us.

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Everyone rents out here?

Not everyone.

Not saying that. Just making a point that the price of real estate is very high on the west coast.

westofyou
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Not saying that. Just making a point that the price of real estate is very high on the west coast.

California is on a plane all by themselves though, like NYC it's not of this world.

RichRed
07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm one of those odd birds that actually prefers to rent. We tend to get the itch to move every two to three years, so we learned from the five years it took to sell our house that owning is not for us.

My wife and I are the same, though we don't rule out owning (we own now but may be selling). We'd live in San Diego in a heartbeat, even if we have to rent.

Roy Tucker
07-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I always view it as good karma to tip a good bartender well. One of Roy's laws of life is to make friends with the bartender whenever you can.

Its along the same lines as being cool to the pizza dude.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4651531

TylerScottDavis
07-15-2010, 05:01 AM
I always tip based on service, not on the $ amount on my bill.

I've left $20 tips on a $1.20 bill (4 hours of studying and drinking coffee at Denny's)...and no, she was definitely NOT hot.

I've also left nothing but a note to the waitresses manager on the back of the credit card signature receipt titled "tip:" followed by what they should have done differently.