PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign 41 year old....

HalMorrisRules
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Russ Springer. They beat out 4 other teams that tried to sign him after watching him throw, He must have impressed if they all wanted to sign him. He said he chose the Reds because he grew up a Reds fan. He is going to Louisville for 10-14 days and then will join the big club apparently.

"If something happens at Louisville and I'm not throwing it like I want, I'll come home and there's no harm done," he said. "But I feel like it'll be fun to try again. Hopefully it'll all work out, and we'll help the Reds get back to the World Series."

Springer Accepts Reds Offer (http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20100715/SPORTS/7150309)

KOBasinger
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I see no harm in this deal especially for the amount of money. I hope he does well.

Caveman Techie
07-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Low risk, low to medium reward. No problems with that move.

ILoveWilly
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Good move, I hope not the only move though. You never know with pen arms, would like to get 2-3 more in here.

GIDP
07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Lets see what happens.

Fon Duc Tow
07-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I like rooting for guys like this. Agreed... low risk, low to medium reward.

ILoveWilly
07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I wonder why they don't mind giving him a chance, but not David Weathers?

Fon Duc Tow
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Tackleberry has tackled his last berry.

BakoTheTako
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Because David Weathers is David Weathers.

Reds
07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
"Me being a big Cincinnati fan growing up, even though the other offer (of the final two) was better, all of a sudden I went from being not really excited to looking at it as a kid again when I was pulling for them during the Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, George Foster days.

"And they're in first place," he added. "That's big."

Sounds like he's excited to get the chance with us.

texasdave
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
If we are stockpiling right-handed,low risk, low to medium reward, veteran bullpen help then how about this guy? He had some pretty nice seasons. Safety in numbers and all that good stuff. And we could corner the market on Corderos.

The Mariners signed right-handed reliever Jamey Wright and added him to the major league roster, according to the team. In a related move, the club optioned Chad Cordero to Triple A Tacoma and Cordero opted to become a free agent instead of accepting the assignment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Chad Cordero is only 28 lol I thought he was much older

BigPoppa
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
If we are stockpiling right-handed,low risk, low to medium reward, veteran bullpen help then how about this guy? He had some pretty nice seasons. Safety in numbers and all that good stuff. And we could corner the market on Corderos.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Let's sign Chad and DFA Francisco. Issue Chad # 48 and just look at the money we save on jerseys. :cool:

Reds
07-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Let's sign Chad and DFA Francisco. Issue Chad # 48 and just look at the money we save on jerseys. :cool:

I like this idea. Along those same lines we should figure out a way to trade Orlando Cabrera for Miguel Cabrera. :D

davereds24
07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Going from hoping to get Cliff Lee to signing Russ Springer. :(

Hopefully this means another trade is in the works, maybe involving giving up Ondrusek, Masset, etc for a SS or big bat.

Rijo's Ghost
07-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Be very afraid. He is awful vs LHP and is an extreme FB pitcher. That does not bode well for him pitching in GAB with Dusty's handling of a pitching staff. He's also 10 months removed from competitive baseball.

GaiusBallstar
07-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Nothing wrong with this move at all, very low risk.

But Springer could struggle in GABP, he's an extreme flyball pitcher and GABP is unforgiving in that regard. For his career he's got a 52.7% flyball rate, and last year it was 61.6 percent!

Despite that though, and his total ineffectiveness against lefties (last year they ops'd .980! off of him, and .809 for his career, he can still be a useful pitcher. He struck out over a batter an inning last year as a 40 year old, and shuts down righties. Just gotta hope that too many of those flyballs don't become home runs...

Fon Duc Tow
07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I like this idea. Along those same lines we should figure out a way to trade Orlando Cabrera for Miguel Cabrera. :D

Careful though, they might trade Brandon Phillips for Wilson Phillips.