PDA

View Full Version : saw the Reds at Citi Field and Citizens Bank Park. My thoughts

mlh1981
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
So I'm back in Ohio after a vacation, which included a stop at Citi Field to see Reds@Mets last Wednesday, and Reds@Phillies on Sunday afternoon.

Last Wednesday, I arrive super early to Citi Field. I was interested in checking out the local scene, and hitting up some sports bars, but the park is literally surrounded by nothing but parking lot, and a huge radius of junkyards. Not really much going on, and the Mets could really capitalize by buying the junkyards out, and putting up some bars/restaurants, etc.

The outside of the park is spectacular. Very stately. The main entrance, which I entered through, is incredible. I walked around the whole park and took photos. Great venue, though there are some obstructions, with the screens by the staircases. I also thought that the quirks in right field were a bit pointless and unneeded.

Our seats were in the upper deck in right field. Not very many Reds fans. People were all very nice, and got none of that northeastern "attitude" that I was expecting.

Fast forward to a few days later. I was advised not to wear Reds gear to Philly, but did so anyway. The park reminded me of Citi Field a bit. Pretty much many of the same features, though it was a darker brick color, and perhaps not quite as big.

Here, I saw very few Reds fans. Very few. We were congregated in the standing room area. Just a great hangout spot. Hardly anyone gave me a hard time. I think the Philly rap is a bit undeserved, though I'm sure Cowboys fans who attend Eagles games may think otherwise. One guy was razzing me about my dirty hat--of all things. Then of course, once the game ended and the Reds were officially swept, a few whom had developed "liquid courage" were yelling some pretty generic insults like, "Reds suck." Again, not quite the venom I expected from Philly fans, as it seemed like a family atmosphere.

Good times. I love seeing the Reds on the road. Seeing different stadiums and conversating with the locals is always fun.

BigPoppa
07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Good post.

I just saw the Reds at Wrigley for my first trip there. It was Wood's MLB debut. There was a fair amount of Reds fans on had. All the Cubs fans we encountered were very friendly, and I had no problems wearing my Reds gear. Some even congratulated us after the game. For full disclosure, that was a day game and we didn't sit in the bleachers.

brm7675
07-15-2010, 03:38 PM
So I'm back in Ohio after a vacation, which included a stop at Citi Field to see Reds@Mets last Wednesday, and Reds@Phillies on Sunday afternoon.

Last Wednesday, I arrive super early to Citi Field. I was interested in checking out the local scene, and hitting up some sports bars, but the park is literally surrounded by nothing but parking lot, and a huge radius of junkyards. Not really much going on, and the Mets could really capitalize by buying the junkyards out, and putting up some bars/restaurants, etc.

The outside of the park is spectacular. Very stately. The main entrance, which I entered through, is incredible. I walked around the whole park and took photos. Great venue, though there are some obstructions, with the screens by the staircases. I also thought that the quirks in right field were a bit pointless and unneeded.

Our seats were in the upper deck in right field. Not very many Reds fans. People were all very nice, and got none of that northeastern "attitude" that I was expecting.

Fast forward to a few days later. I was advised not to wear Reds gear to Philly, but did so anyway. The park reminded me of Citi Field a bit. Pretty much many of the same features, though it was a darker brick color, and perhaps not quite as big.

Here, I saw very few Reds fans. Very few. We were congregated in the standing room area. Just a great hangout spot. Hardly anyone gave me a hard time. I think the Philly rap is a bit undeserved, though I'm sure Cowboys fans who attend Eagles games may think otherwise. One guy was razzing me about my dirty hat--of all things. Then of course, once the game ended and the Reds were officially swept, a few whom had developed "liquid courage" were yelling some pretty generic insults like, "Reds suck." Again, not quite the venom I expected from Philly fans, as it seemed like a family atmosphere.

Good times. I love seeing the Reds on the road. Seeing different stadiums and conversating with the locals is always fun.

Was this your first visit to those areas? The Mets ballpark was built similar to the Reds as almost ontop of the other park. At least now you have a nice park to go to, the old Mets stadium was a dump AND had nothing around it, now at least you have a nice park. As for the phils, I think it is also very near where Vet stadium was. I have been to both old former parks and had no issue with fans ever. I think sometime bad raps grow without reason.

mlh1981
07-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Yup, first time at both parks.