PDA

View Full Version : Money does matter over winning?

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Dusty Baker per Fay:

"You know there’s a lot of things that go into. It’s not always who’s pitching the best. It’s whose contract is what and who has options and various things.”

I know this is a business, but the business is supposed to be about winning. If a rookie that has dynamic outing, after outing is out-pitching your "ace", and the "ace" still gets to come back and pitch, there is a major problem. Please trade Harang now! Take anything you can get for him....

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/15/as-the-rotation-turns/

Girevik
07-16-2010, 11:52 AM
If you trade Harang now you'd get a low level prospect and still have to eat the majority of his salary.

brm7675
07-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Dusty Baker per Fay:

"You know there’s a lot of things that go into. It’s not always who’s pitching the best. It’s whose contract is what and who has options and various things.”

I know this is a business, but the business is supposed to be about winning. If a rookie that has dynamic outing, after outing is out-pitching your "ace", and the "ace" still gets to come back and pitch, there is a major problem. Please trade Harang now! Take anything you can get for him....

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/15/as-the-rotation-turns/

Give me 1 reason why anyone right now would take a damaged expensive average pitcher off our hands?

brm7675
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
plus what happens if Volquez returns and rehurts his arm? What do you do when sept comes and you have had to shut down Leake due to innings pitched, what if Bailey is DL the rest of the year? Who pitches then?

Vottomatic
07-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Give me 1 reason why anyone right now would take a damaged expensive average pitcher off our hands?

Maybe he's showing improvement. 5 of his last 7 starts have been quality starts. He has lowered his ERA, in his last 10 outings, a whole run (from 6.02 to 5.02).

Maybe he has figured out what he was doing wrong.

And he's more a victim of the HR ball. If you could find a team that doesn't have a HR hitting park, they might be interested in Aaron.

I'm not saying it would be easy, but you never know. The Reds might be willing to pay some salary to move on, if they got a respectable prospect in trade.

brm7675
07-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Maybe he's showing improvement. 5 of his last 7 starts have been quality starts. He has lowered his ERA, in his last 10 outings, a whole run (from 6.02 to 5.02).

And he's more a victim of the HR ball. If you could find a team that doesn't have a HR hitting park, they might be interested in Aaron.

I'm not saying it would be easy, but you never know. The Reds might be willing to pay some salary to move on, if they got a respectable prospect in trade.

Whom do you turn to once Leake is done for the year and if Volquez has issues? Are you really willing to turn to Bailey?

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 04:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Remember pitchers that are club house cancers get traded left and right around the league. Taking a flier on a guy that is a workhorse and has decent road ERA is not out of the realm of possibility.

To the others who say it won't happen...or that what if this or this happens? I am pretty sure that Maloney and Wood have stepped in rather nicely for Harang and have shown they can do it if they are called upon.

Vottomatic
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Whom do you turn to once Leake is done for the year and if Volquez has issues? Are you really willing to turn to Bailey?

I'm on the side of the fence that thinks the Reds are a year away from contending. Even if they make the postseason, I think they will lose in the first round.

Therefore, I am content to continue tinkering with the roster, which isn't popular with others on this board.

Harang is gone after this season anyway. They will let him walk. His back injury isn't serious. He will be back soon. There might not be any interest, but still there may be. Who knows for sure.

I see serious questions about the starting rotation as the season goes on.

1. How long do they keep sending Leake out there? What is the plan to shut him down? What if they make the postseason, is he going to pitch in it?

2. Will Volquez return to form? Will he be durable enough to pitch the rest of the season?

3. Will Bailey return or is he done for the season?

4. What if some other starter goes down with an injury? We played a first half and already Wood, LeCure, and Maloney have had to spot start.

Sometimes it works itself all out and sometimes it doesn't. We are fortunate to have good starting pitching depth. Do they risk trading any of it and not having replacements in case of an injury to another starter?

The second half could get interesting.

brm7675
07-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm on the side of the fence that thinks the Reds are a year away from contending. Even if they make the postseason, I think they will lose in the first round.

Therefore, I am content to continue tinkering with the roster, which isn't popular with others on this board.

Harang is gone after this season anyway. They will let him walk. His back injury isn't serious. He will be back soon. There might not be any interest, but still there may be. Who knows for sure.

I see serious questions about the starting rotation as the season goes on.

1. Who long do they keep sending Leake out there? What is the plan to shut him down? What if they make the postseason, is he going to pitch in it?

2. Will Volquez return to form? Will he be durable enough to pitch the rest of the season?

3. Will Bailey return or is he done for the season?

4. What if some other starter goes down with an injury? We played a first half and already Wood, LeCure, and Maloney have had to spot start.

Sometimes it works itself all out and sometimes it doesn't. We are fortunate to have good starting pitching depth. Do they risk trading any of it and not having replacements in case of an injury to another starter?

The second half could get interesting.

Leake is shut down around the 170+ inning mark. That is when Wood is recalled and takes his spot in the rotation made up of Bronson, Edinison,Johnny and Aaron. If Edinison struggles you go with Malloney or Bailey. Cards are facing the same questions.

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 05:18 AM
I'd turn to Bailey over Harang.