PDA

View Full Version : Phillips showing bunt on the first pitch of the game

jhiller21
07-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Am I crazy, or has Phillips done this in every game since he was moved to leadoff hitter?

Not that I'm complaining, but it seems like the first pitch of every game he shows bunt then pulls it back and takes a ball.

Pretty weird stuff. I suppose he's looking for a first pitch to get on base, but it seems more like he's just working the count to get to 1-0.

bshall2105
07-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I think that's just his routine that he does. Maybe it's a superstition? Whatever the reason, it seems more often than not he gets a first pitch ball.

scott91575
07-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I think he does it because he plans on taking the first pitch but wants the defense to play for the bunt. Of course for it to truly work he will have to put one down a couple of times.

jhiller21
07-17-2010, 12:16 AM
It seems to work for him, I've just never seen a leadoff hitter do it on a consistent basis.

Someone (or lots of us) should document every time he does it and post in this thread accordingly :)

So far, every game I've watched that Brandon batted lead-off he has shown bunt on the first pitch. Baseball is one heck of an interesting game.

jhiller21
07-17-2010, 12:24 AM
I think he does it because he plans on taking the first pitch but wants the defense to play for the bunt. Of course for it to truly work he will have to put one down a couple of times.

Exactly my thoughts, if he gets a few down the infield won't know what to do with him. Same reason I wish Stubbs could push a few down the 3rd base line.

urdun
07-17-2010, 12:31 AM
i've only seen a strike thrown once when he does it lately, assumed he's just trying to get ahead so he can work a fastball out of the pitcher at some point. thought he did it every ab maybe not though.

RedsFanInBama
07-17-2010, 12:50 AM
I think he's trying to accomplish two things. He knows he's taking, so maybe the bunt will serve to distract the pitcher and make him more prone to throw a ball. Also, perhaps the third baseman creeps in a couple steps. Might not seem like much, but on a ball his way it could make a difference.

bshall2105
07-17-2010, 02:04 AM
i've only seen a strike thrown once when he does it lately, assumed he's just trying to get ahead so he can work a fastball out of the pitcher at some point. thought he did it every ab maybe not though.

He only does it in the first ab of the game.

SWIndRed
07-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Am I crazy, or has Phillips done this in every game since he was moved to leadoff hitter?

Not that I'm complaining, but it seems like the first pitch of every game he shows bunt then pulls it back and takes a ball.

Pretty weird stuff. I suppose he's looking for a first pitch to get on base, but it seems more like he's just working the count to get to 1-0.

He seems to have done this leading off the game since the last road trip began. He also invariably swings at the second pitch of the game no matter where it has been. Would that explain his recent 2-19 skid. You can't have your mind made up you're swinging at a pitch before it's even thrown. I'm sure scouts have picked up on this if we, the uneducated masses, have noticed it.

bgwilly31
07-17-2010, 10:13 AM
he could also do it because its the first pitch of the game. And squaring for a bunt allows you to see the pitcher and release points better.

Basically getting a feel for the guy.

texasdave
07-17-2010, 10:34 AM
he could also do it because its the first pitch of the game. And squaring for a bunt allows you to see the pitcher and release points better.

Basically getting a feel for the guy.

Why wouldn't every batter do it then the first time up?

Trace's Daddy
07-17-2010, 11:05 AM
If it makes the pitcher more prone to throw a ball, then why not show bunt on a 3-0 count? Maybe another way to distract a pitcher to throw a ball is to be more animated at the plate - kind of like Gary Sheffield or something like that.

redssince75
07-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I think he's trying to accomplish two things. He knows he's taking, so maybe the bunt will serve to distract the pitcher and make him more prone to throw a ball. Also, perhaps the third baseman creeps in a couple steps. Might not seem like much, but on a ball his way it could make a difference.

This seems right. But by now, wouldn't teams know to pump him a strike right down the middle on the first pitch? I'm no major leaguer, but I think even I could still throw a strike if I knew he wasn't swinging.

GIDP
07-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I dont think anyone has asked him about it in the media, but if I had my guesses its probably him trying to mess with the pitchers first pitch, setting the D up for the next pitch, or just him making sure he takes the first pitch.

RedsFanInBama
07-17-2010, 01:37 PM
This seems right. But by now, wouldn't teams know to pump him a strike right down the middle on the first pitch? I'm no major leaguer, but I think even I could still throw a strike if I knew he wasn't swinging.
I think it's just instinctual on the part of the pitcher. You see that bat come around and you start thinking about not only throwing a strike, but also the fact that you have to get ready to defend a bunt.